Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Alot of berserk things just became a little creepy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you weren't completely jaded by Muiras fetishes after Tower of Conviction then I don't know what kind of person you are b

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
People try to act like Berserk is the second coming of Shakespeare in manga form.... its not. It's got a lot of gross and weird poo poo in it and if you can't handle it that's fine. Miura is a great artist though and if you can stomach it, enjoy it for what it is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

People try to act like Berserk is the second coming of Shakespeare in manga form.... its not. It's got a lot of gross and weird poo poo in it and if you can't handle it that's fine. Miura is a great artist though and if you can stomach it, enjoy it for what it is.

Shakespeare is full of rape, gratuitous violence and poop jokes for an audience of random chumps off the street though

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

Are most fans of Berserk this awful?

Afraid so. It's the most divisive fandom I've ever seen.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I mean you're reading a story about a dude who got raped by a guy who paid his dad off and then got his arm torn out and his eye gouged while his best friend raped his girlfriend into being a vegetable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I seriously can't parse the piss-drinking in Gigantomachia as anything other than a weird joke.

Also, yeah, if you think Shakespeare was any more highbrow than Miura go read Titus Andronicus

e: seriously, god drat

quote:

Back in Rome, Titus's behaviour suggests he may have gone insane. Convinced of his madness, Tamora, Chiron and Demetrius approach him, dressed as the spirits of Revenge, Murder, and Rape. Tamora (as Revenge) tells Titus that she will grant him revenge on all of his enemies if he can convince Lucius to postpone the imminent attack on Rome. Titus agrees and sends Marcus to invite Lucius to a reconciliatory feast. Revenge then offers to invite the Emperor and Tamora as well, and is about to leave when Titus insists that Rape and Murder (Chiron and Demetrius) stay with him. When Tamora is gone, Titus cuts their throats and drains their blood into a basin held by Lavinia. Titus morbidly tells Lavinia that he plans to "play the cook" and grind the bones of Demetrius and Chiron into powder and bake their heads.

The next day, during the feast at his house, Titus asks Saturninus if a father should kill his daughter when she has been raped. When Saturninus answers that he should, Titus kills Lavinia, telling Saturninus of the rape. When the Emperor calls for Chiron and Demetrius, Titus reveals that they have been baked in the pie Tamora has just been eating. Titus then kills Tamora, and is immediately killed by Saturninus, who is subsequently killed by Lucius to avenge his father's death. Lucius is then proclaimed Emperor. He orders that Saturninus be given a state burial, that Tamora's body be thrown to the wild beasts outside the city, and that Aaron be buried chest-deep and left to die of thirst and starvation. Aaron, however, is unrepentant to the end, regretting only that he had not done more evil in his life.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I seriously can't parse the piss-drinking in Gigantomachia as anything other than a weird joke.

Also, yeah, if you think Shakespeare was any more highbrow than Miura go read Titus Andronicus

e: seriously, god drat

Maybe what this play needed was some unintrusive comic relief like Puck (Berserk Puck, not Midsummer's Night) provides

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Whenever anyone says anything about modern entertainment being too low brow it's always ridiculous because most of the poo poo people consider classic lit was pulpy during its time, especially any play by Shakespeare. Berserk has a lot of very deep and rich themes that run throughout the story and it's pretty amazing actually what a good job Miura does reinforcing them in some subtle and some not so subtle ways considering he's been doing it for 20+ years. Berserk is also really pulpy and that's fine, the two things aren't mutually exclusive. I mean if you don't like it that's fine, it doesn't mean you're somehow unable to appreciate how good it is, it just means the story and themes didn't resonate with you which is fine.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Back in Rome, Titus's behaviour suggests he may have gone insane. Convinced of his madness, Tamora, Chiron and Demetrius approach him, dressed as the spirits of Revenge, Murder, and Rape. Tamora (as Revenge) tells Titus that she will grant him revenge on all of his enemies if he can convince Lucius to postpone the imminent attack on Rome. Titus agrees and sends Marcus to invite Lucius to a reconciliatory feast. Revenge then offers to invite the Emperor and Tamora as well, and is about to leave when Titus insists that Rape and Murder (Chiron and Demetrius) stay with him. When Tamora is gone, Titus cuts their throats and drains their blood into a basin held by Lavinia. Titus morbidly tells Lavinia that he plans to "play the cook" and grind the bones of Demetrius and Chiron into powder and bake their heads.

The next day, during the feast at his house, Titus asks Saturninus if a father should kill his daughter when she has been raped. When Saturninus answers that he should, Titus kills Lavinia, telling Saturninus of the rape. When the Emperor calls for Chiron and Demetrius, Titus reveals that they have been baked in the pie Tamora has just been eating. Titus then kills Tamora, and is immediately killed by Saturninus, who is subsequently killed by Lucius to avenge his father's death. Lucius is then proclaimed Emperor. He orders that Saturninus be given a state burial, that Tamora's body be thrown to the wild beasts outside the city, and that Aaron be buried chest-deep and left to die of thirst and starvation. Aaron, however, is unrepentant to the end, regretting only that he had not done more evil in his life.

ayyy lmao

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, Shakespeare was considered low brow garbage back in the day. As years past, it's been held with higher and higher regard. Currently, WWE is considered low brow garbage. Think about that for a second.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...you know, given that professional wrestling is pretty much live theatre with more steroids and injuries, you may actually be on to something.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

Aaron, however, is unrepentant to the end, regretting only that he had not done more evil in his life.

This guy sounds like a boss.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This guy sounds like a boss.

Aaron has no excuse for the things he has done, but he was always living for himself first and foremost and in a way was the most human of them all

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Normie Slayer posted:

Yeah, Shakespeare was considered low brow garbage back in the day. As years past, it's been held with higher and higher regard. Currently, WWE is considered low brow garbage. Think about that for a second.

Shakespeare was the Homerstarrunner.com of Elizabethan england

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I was expecting the piss thing to be much weirder considering Miura, but it wasn't that bad. I was expecting something horrid like Piss x Sis.

This manga is p good otherwise.

e: vvv :suicide:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 31, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Zeruel posted:

I was expecting the piss thing to be much weirder considering Miura, but it wasn't that bad.
ADTRW.txt

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

apropos to nothing posted:

If you had one page to sum berserk up or to sell it to someone new what would you use? Personally I think I'd go with

It's this one:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zeruel posted:

I was expecting the piss thing to be much weirder considering Miura, but it wasn't that bad. I was expecting something horrid like Piss x Sis.

This manga is p good otherwise.

e: vvv :suicide:

yeah like I said, it pretty much just read as a weird joke to me

didn't seem like he was getting off on it, so much as he just read about MMA dudes drinking piss somewhere and thought it was funny

e: and no before anybody asks I'm not joking about that at all

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The early art is a lot less detailed, but even mid-Golden Age you get some really nice full page spreads of Griffith's hair

This one in particular jumped out at me as I reading through it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

yeah like I said, it pretty much just read as a weird joke to me

didn't seem like he was getting off on it, so much as he just read about MMA dudes drinking piss somewhere and thought it was funny

e: and no before anybody asks I'm not joking about that at all

Since it's vitally important that more people weigh in on the piss issue (pissue), here are my two cents: as I was translating it I definitely got the impression that the weird-biomechanically-synthesized-fluid-as-piss thing is comedic relief.

That said, Miura is doubtlessly aware that some people do get off on it, which might be why he plays it up in dialogue while still keeping it mostly off-page. On the spectrum of manga pandering to sexual deviants (all of them (sorry for kinkshame)), Gigantomakhia barely registers.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

how does it being a joke make it better

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

U-DO Burger posted:

how does it being a joke make it better

is this a serious question :psyduck:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In the setting of the far future where you can just make up whatever you want, Miura specifically chose "child piss has healing powers" as something that should be a part of that setting and spent several pages across several chapters on it. It being a joke doesn't somehow make that not goddamn creepy

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

U-DO Burger posted:

In the setting of the far future where you can just make up whatever you want, Miura specifically chose "child piss has healing powers" as something that should be a part of that setting and spent several pages across several chapters on it. It being a joke doesn't somehow make that not goddamn creepy

Well actually she's hundreds of years old, so

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

yes it does

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Zenzirouj posted:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

hrm, touche

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hbo could probably do a live action berserk that might actually get finished, if nobody has suggested it yet

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

U-DO Burger posted:

again, drinking piss for supposed health benefits is an actual thing MMA people do. Miura did not make that up.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

LORD OF BUTT posted:

again, drinking piss for supposed health benefits is an actual thing MMA people do. Miura did not make that up.

Well, they drink their own piss. Drinking young girls "nectar" is entirely on Miura

(A Tv hottie (Sabrina Sato) offered her piss to Mashida here in Brazil, I don't remember if he drank though. And she's old)

Piss aside, it was an interesting manga, I wouldn't mind him doing a mini-series here and there

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2015

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Super creepy that Miura made a joke about drinking a girls piss. Luckily he's back to writing Berserk, a manga I like and post about that has several chapters where a main character gets raped into catatonia by demons.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
y'all talkin poo poo bout rapehorse? well good. cuz he's a rapist

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Super creepy that Miura made a joke about drinking a girls piss. Luckily he's back to writing Berserk, a manga I like and post about that has several chapters where a main character gets raped into catatonia by demons.

yeah this too, it's not like it's news that Miura's brain goes to some nasty rear end places sometimes

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

hbo could probably do a live action berserk that might actually get finished, if nobody has suggested it yet

Not enough tits for HBO unfortunately.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly Starz would probably be the best home for a Berserk show. It would also make it slightly more likely that it'd be showran by DeKnight, which is a match made in goddamn heaven.

(And while we're talking pipe dreams, Manu Bennett as Guts or bust.)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Good manga is bad.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly Starz would probably be the best home for a Berserk show. It would also make it slightly more likely that it'd be showran by DeKnight, which is a match made in goddamn heaven.

(And while we're talking pipe dreams, Manu Bennett as Guts or bust.)

I want it to be of similar quality to the Fist of the North Star movie. And to also feature Dante Basco. He can be Puck.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think this is the most berserk image tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

If you had one page to sum berserk up or to sell it to someone new what would you use? Personally I think I'd go with