Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ZachAttack posted:

These look great, mind sharing your painting recipe? I got a bag of these cars I have just been littering around as is.

Nothing complex, I took some of them apart, broke them up and stuck them back together. Spray black, cover in GW typhus corrosion, drybrush with Risa Rust. Add static grass and clump foliage to taste.

It's quick and effective, and the cars are char at less than a fiver for fifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bistromatic posted:

My stuff isn't 100% complete but it's in a state where i'm not ashamed to put it on the table :v:

How did you create those infantry stands?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Scourge Dropfleet ships spotted

L to R: heavy cruiser 1 and heavy cruiser 2, "lighter" frigate and frigate, each one (plus 1-2 more variants not displayed) made from the same single sprue, claims Hawk

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Pretty, Scourge-like, but a bit similar looking is my first impression.

Straight to plastics for Dropfleet then?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It would seem so, and these are just the scourge cruisers and frigates, worth noting that 3 of the 5 UCM ships they've shown are also cruisers that are the same basic hull with different attachments.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The Scourge ships are legit cool and exactly how I imagined them to look.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

Scourge Dropfleet ships spotted

L to R: heavy cruiser 1 and heavy cruiser 2, "lighter" frigate and frigate, each one (plus 1-2 more variants not displayed) made from the same single sprue, claims Hawk

Yeah, these things look super Scourgey and are great, but they're not the aesthetic for me. I feel the same about the DZC models so that's no surprise. I'm still completely sold on the UCM ships though.

The remaining famous commanders were also teased and that Hera :getin:

I really hope that becomes a standard unit in some way. Also, those auxiliary dudes are a lot smaller than I thought they'd be from the renders.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I just picked up the hardback rulebook, it's very high quality, comes in a nice protective slip case.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
http://www.facebook.com/dzcommenter/photos_stream this guy has a whole gallery of gencon photos. On one hand i hope that the 2 feet Beijing goes on sale some time on the other hand my wallet...

GreenMarine posted:

How did you create those infantry stands?

I used the CNC mill at work, it's a frame made from black polystyrene with a little lip that holds 0.5mm acrylic glas.

Also i'm finally getting back to painting, there's a small local con coming up on the weekend of the 28th and i want my kodiak and ferrum done for that. I also pledged that i wouldn't buy new stuff until what i have is painted because otherwise i'll end up with way too much unpainted stuff like in warmachine :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

http://www.facebook.com/dzcommenter/photos_stream this guy has a whole gallery of gencon photos. On one hand i hope that the 2 feet Beijing goes on sale some time on the other hand my wallet...

There is some really nice stuff in here! :D

Vampires look great, the Screamer looks great, Valkyries look better painted than I was expecting which is nice. Jocasta Caine looks badass enough to make me consider buying it and enough Apollo's to fill out her retinue! The Medusa will 'sweep tanks aside with ease' huh? So is that displacement rule of some sort or another way of saying 'it kills tanks good'?

The ships are all looking shiny too, interesting comment in there is that you will be able to make 5-6 variants per sprue... So either the armaments will be very customisable or there are a lot of shared parts used to build up the ship classes/sizes you want? I am really looking forward to Invasion and getting a closer look at these things.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If you look at those 4 Scourge ships, you can see the primary hull from nose to tail is identical on all of them, they just have different attachments on the flanks and the nose; same with the 3 UCM cruisers, one is pretty plain but with what I assume is a massive axial gun, one replaces the axial gun with two large turrets, and the other clearly has a fetish for guns.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah it's an evolution of their tanks which turret variants or walkers with arm variants. Except I probably won't be able to magnetise so much....or will I?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bistromatic posted:

http://www.facebook.com/dzcommenter/photos_stream this guy has a whole gallery of gencon photos.

Holy poo poo, the Broadsword tank. :awesome:

This is apparently going to become a generic Heavy choice to the surprise of no one.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I can really see Caine's Hera (?) being turned into something standard-ish too. It's meant to be a modified version of a rare walker, so I guess either a new rare or exotic unit.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Brückenkopf has some nice closeups of some of the things.

Here's a good view of the broadsword:

Note how the clamp attachment points are on the turret, so the turret is as wide as a normal tank and the actual chassis is even wider. And i wonder if the little things in the front are supposed tp pop up to form a forward attachment point, that's gonna be fun to magnetize.

Ugleb posted:

Yeah it's an evolution of their tanks which turret variants or walkers with arm variants. Except I probably won't be able to magnetise so much....or will I?
I like this kind of challenge if you can't tell.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Bistromatic posted:

Brückenkopf has some nice closeups of some of the things.

Here's a good view of the broadsword:

Note how the clamp attachment points are on the turret, so the turret is as wide as a normal tank and the actual chassis is even wider. And i wonder if the little things in the front are supposed tp pop up to form a forward attachment point, that's gonna be fun to magnetize.

I like this kind of challenge if you can't tell.

I think you're right, those do look like attachment points. I think its just sculpted, but I wouldn't put it past Dave to have made them as separate pieces you could drill to hinge.

Just to give you the excuse, consider thyself challenged to magnetise this bad boy!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Bistro, what size magnets do you use for the random UCM turrets? I'm looking to magnetize some Sabres, Rapiers, and Wolverines over the next week or two.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I ordered the boxed game, the expansion, some card decks, and a 1500 PHR army. Pretty excited to get this. Used to love Epic 40k, but this looks like a much more dynamic game.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I played around with spaced armour this morning and i'm pleased with how it came out, i think i might go with this over the previous slabs.
I also want to add some more details to the "humps" in the back and properly greeble up the area in the center. (didn't notice the back piece being slightly askew)

That said, i'm currently undecided about the upper segments of the spaced armor, anyone got opinions on whether they should stay or go? (older version of the back piece in this pic)

Ugleb posted:

I think you're right, those do look like attachment points. I think its just sculpted, but I wouldn't put it past Dave to have made them as separate pieces you could drill to hinge.

Just to give you the excuse, consider thyself challenged to magnetise this bad boy!

Consider your challenge accepted!

Arcturas posted:

Bistro, what size magnets do you use for the random UCM turrets? I'm looking to magnetize some Sabres, Rapiers, and Wolverines over the next week or two.

Sabres and Rapiers use 3x1mm, one glued flush to the bottom of the turret well and the other recessed far enough into the turret for the lower one to have room.

I widened the hole to 4mm slightly more than 1mm deep before glueing the magnet in to have some wiggle room in case i didn't hit the center exactly and since the turrets aren't super precise in their geometry.
In retrospect i could have just used a 2mm magnet for the lower one to get the same effect for less effort and when i get get that kind of turret again that what i'll do, should still be powerful enough.

Glue the turret arm in place first when doing these, going a little bit deeper than 2mm you'll come out in the socket for the arm and it's easier to just drill away a bit of the arm already in place than to try and fit it around a magnet protruding into the socket.

For the Wolverines i used 2x1mm cylinders with a 0,5mm spacer since the back of the weapons were scraping the engine block thingies a bit.

I also magnetized the bear turrets using 1x1mm cylinders, leaving the original pin in place and sinking the magnet into it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I think the side skirts look cool, but I'm not a fan of the upper space plates, and I can't really articulate why other than "looks weird".

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I really wish Wade's tank was one continuous hull and not two Sabres slapped together.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I talked to Dave briefly today at gencon. Amongst all the cool new stuff that has already been mentioned he was also previewing a new DzC app for ios and Android coming out on in month or two. Has lists, unit stats, keyword lookup and the ability to pick up indexed, linked & searchable (non PDF) full versions of all the books at a discounted price from physical. The app also has a game finding feature where you can put in your location and how far you are willing to travel and get matched with hot singles in your area. Planned features not yet implemented include in game helper stuff for damage tracking and whatnot. Looked cool. Dave is a super nice guy, great enthusiasm. I got him to sign my book because I am a huge tool.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

By lists do you mean that it is an army builder? If so, do want! FFoR is great but it isnt on my phone and is third party so a (decent) mobile version with official support would rock and let me theorycraft anywhere!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Man, an app with unit stats that supports army lists would be fantastic! That makes me unreasonably happy.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Warroom for DZC would be fantastic. Especially if it isn't warroom.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this may be of interest to the people reading this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpaD5gKK_GA

It's a really short demo of Dropfleet combat. Not many details, but it quickly explains how sensor ranges and signatures will work and some on how damage is inflicted.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The rulebook doesn't seem to explicitly say it, but can AA take reaction fire shots against interceptors moving to intercept a fast mover? If so, if the reaction shot destroys the interceptor does it lose its shot against the fast mover if the AA's intercept line intersected the interceptor before the interceptors point of attack?

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 6, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

GreenMarine posted:

The rulebook doesn't seem to explicitly say it, but can AA take reaction fire shots against interceptors moving to intercept a fast mover? If so, if the reaction shot destroys the interceptor does it lose its shot against the fast mover if the AA's intercept line intersected the interceptor before the interceptors point of attack?

Yes, you can shoot down interceptors before they can shoot down the attacking fast mover before it reaches its target, just like the interceptor can take out the fast mover before it hits IT's target.

Its the fast mover mini-game. it can get fun if both sides have two FM's....

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Safety Factor posted:

I feel like this may be of interest to the people reading this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpaD5gKK_GA

It's a really short demo of Dropfleet combat. Not many details, but it quickly explains how sensor ranges and signatures will work and some on how damage is inflicted.

The youtube comments talk about it going on kickstarter.

Just checked this and October Kickstarter for boxed game to pay for hard plastic moulds for the ships to be delivered April 2016.

I'll be backing, will be interesting to see what is going in the boxed game.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

GreenMarine posted:

Grey Hunter posted:

Yes, you can shoot down interceptors before they can shoot down the attacking fast mover before it reaches its target, just like the interceptor can take out the fast mover before it hits IT's target.

Its the fast mover mini-game. it can get fun if both sides have two FM's....

As far as I can tell, this is basically the only reason that the Fast Movers have miniatures or whatever, otherwise this would be very difficult to resolve in a non-abstracted way

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thundercloud posted:

The youtube comments talk about it going on kickstarter.

Just checked this and October Kickstarter for boxed game to pay for hard plastic moulds for the ships to be delivered April 2016.

I'll be backing, will be interesting to see what is going in the boxed game.

Ooh. I'm not big on kickstarters, but I might have to back this. Hawk is an already established company so there's actually a good chance they'll complete everything on time.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
With gencon over i thought i'd post some rumor links, a bunch of them have already come up in this thread. As a disclaimer, they primarily come from a single guy who's a talon (official volunteer kinda deal) so it's all based on his conversations and memories thereof.

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6980 long thread with on the hawk forums, with day to day posts and some questions/back and forth

http://dzcblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/gencon-2015d-round-up-and-other-news.html summary of the aforementioned thread by the orbital bombardment guys

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7023 roundup thread on the hawk forums which is almost the same but includes some new things i hadn't heard before, most notably:

quote:

There will eventually be a Fast Mover expansion, in which every faction (maybe not Resistance) will get a new FM to complement the roles (and points) that their existing FMs already provide.

Existing and new variants, such as the Sabre & Rapier and the Angelos & new Flame variant, will be packaged in the future in a single blister. This will allow retailers to stock fewer SKUs, even while providing new unit options to us customers.

Also, the previously discussed "unit stat cards" will be included in blisters in the future (April timeframe, probably/hopefully).

Again, all based on word of mouth from a single guy but i'll be very happy about stat cards and options being included in blisters if these turn out to be true. magnets, god i love magnets

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So does that mean we might see one pack for all type 2 walkers rather than four? I kinda hope they make the switch to plastic and put all the arms on one sprue but probably not.

I see the Angelos mentioned, I guess we are talking about a new variant as it doesn't share any parts with anything at the moment.

I read on OB blog that the type 3 manslayer weapon might be gaining a ranged (but inaccurate) flame effect for the Erebos at least while the Apollo may get a defensive buff. And the option to take single walker squads... All very interesting!

Also, Shaltari are getting another round of points nerfing but might get an infinite range two shot E7 AA unit. Which would be horrific so I really hope Hawk Dave was trolling there!

The Dropfleet kickstarter is a surprise but probably shouldn't be. The way that Hawk are cranking out new units, books and now apps for Dropzone it must be putting a dent into their cash reserves to pay for it all. Going plastic is a big thing for them so I guess they had to choose between delaying the release schedule or biting the bullet and going to kickstarter. By the sounds of things it is going to be a pretty basic offering, simply a two player starter box featuring UCM and Scourge.

Maybe there will be starter army boxes like DzC on there but probably still only for UCM and Scourge unless they get the other races out quick and only then if Hawk feel that wont alienate retailers. I recently picked up one little anecdotal experience of a retailer expressing dissatisfaction over Hawk's attitude towards retailers, so I'm thinking they want to mend a bridge or two here.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Just gone for a browse on the Hawk foruym, didn't spot these details before.

quote:

A new rules app for both iOS and Android will be available in "a month". This is not intended to replace FFoR (which the Hawk guys love, along with the rest of us), but will allow the user to assemble "cards" into a list, which will have all the relevant rules for those units in that list. There will be a "core" app which will have all of the rules, and those rules will be kept up to date as errata come out, and will cost somewhere in the $10-$15 range (still TBD); there will also be separate, add-on apps for "each of the books" which will contain the fluff and other non-rule content.

Ok, so not an army builder like FFoR, but some sort of limited list building utility.

More importantly though, a living digital rulebook compilation for as little as $15? There is no way that I could resist buying that! I love the books but it makes me sad that the rules in them are getting increasingly obsolete. I really hope they get this out before Invasion next month!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
New rules are up on the hawk site!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There are some really interesting units here! The Medusa looks awesome so will probably go up in points! It's like a mini-Hades... Note it is both exotic and rare.

Valkyries look super-mobile but otherwise a bit weak to me. Should be great for spreading SOI as they are scouts as speculated.

Screamer with Raider looks like a bloody nightmare, they both really need to die!

Flak teams look good too, 3 shots per base so 6 shots from the squad for not many points. Not bad.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
If anyone is interested, ~3 hours left for Miniaturemarket's daily deal for a Scourge Starter. $25.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The flak teams are really interesting. 75% of the cost of a rapier for 3 E6 shots at 12" instead of 3 E7 shots at 18". Normally, I'd think that UCM players would drive the flak teams on along with a Ferrum and/or Kodiak to provide some cheap AA out of a rear building. (Notice that they can't take a Raven-A, so it's Condor or drive-on only) But I think some UCM players might get mileage out of throwing them in a Bear to give an AA bubble in the middle of the field from a building. The ability to choose whether or not they're manning the walls & shooting means they've got a little more LoS flexibility than rapiers, at the cost of being vulnerable to flame/anti-personnel machineguns/close combats.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Arcturas posted:

The flak teams are really interesting. 75% of the cost of a rapier for 3 E6 shots at 12" instead of 3 E7 shots at 18". Normally, I'd think that UCM players would drive the flak teams on along with a Ferrum and/or Kodiak to provide some cheap AA out of a rear building. (Notice that they can't take a Raven-A, so it's Condor or drive-on only) But I think some UCM players might get mileage out of throwing them in a Bear to give an AA bubble in the middle of the field from a building. The ability to choose whether or not they're manning the walls & shooting means they've got a little more LoS flexibility than rapiers, at the cost of being vulnerable to flame/anti-personnel machineguns/close combats.

They could be a decent pick for your Forward Air Controller unit in that scenario. All hail the air cav!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I finished converting my kodiak today, after weeks of hee-hawing and experiments i ended up going with the first style of ablative armour plus armored hubcaps.
The rear section is mostly featuring parts from a hind kit and a 1:35 machine gun set, the antenna is foldable and locks into both raised and storage position with magnets and the whole thing still fits under a condor.

I also made vertical AA launchers for my ferrum, i'm not really a fan of the ball joint on the default ones and when dry fitting they were really in the way when fiddling with the moving tower. Should have done them before airbrushing but eh