Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno if you're gonna get the audience you'd want for your aggressively depressing war film, although that might just be reductive thinking.

That's why you advertise it as a whiz bang action film. Sort of the military equivalent of Bridge to Terabithia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno if you're gonna get the audience you'd want for your aggressively depressing war film, although that might just be reductive thinking.

Yeah I don't think it would be well viewed or anything just saying if you wanted to have one that was effective and not glorifying then you need to have it be more tragic than something like Full Metal Jacket

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, LA Plays Itself will probably be right up your alley

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

HP Hovercraft posted:

Los Angeles Plays Itself (WATCH THIS NOW)
The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession

Thanks! I've seen The Pervert's Guide but really ought to revisit it. The others sound fun.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Can anyone recommend some good documentaries about film/cinema? I've seen The Story of Film: An Odyssey and What is Cinema? Both were fantastic for broadening my horizons on the subject and I'm looking for more like them.

A Story of Children and Film is pretty wonderful, by the same guy as The Story of Film: An Odyssey, but I don't think it's on any streaming stuff :(

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Franchescanado posted:

My father was a marine and had me watch one of his favorite movies, Full Metal Jacket, when I was about 8-10. I was, obviously, horrified, and it completely turned me off from ever joining the military, supporting war, or making heroes out of troops because they chose to be troops.

I don't see how someone can watch that movie and walk away thinking it's pro-war, pro-military, or anything even close to that. It's insane.

I can understand someone watching The Guest and thinking "being military is cool, I'd be like a superhero'. But watching FMJ and signing up for the military is insane.

I worked with a large amount of prior military, got to know a lot of great guys, but it's insane how many laugh about gunning down groups of people for the hell of it.

I watched Full Metal Jacket before I even thought about being a Marine, and many times during the 4 months I had to wait to go to Parris Island. I pretty much still laugh my rear end off watching the boot camp section of the movie. I went in the Marines for many reason, but to be clear people don't join the Marines to be a hero. It is filled with misfits who are just looking to belong to something, and what they find is what might be the greatest brotherhood ever in the Marines. Also to be clear on your one comment, Marines hate it when assholes (who usually are right wingers who never served) make anyone who joined the military into a hero just as much as we hate assholes who are anti-military.

Also who in the hell would ever think The Guest was pro-military or making a statement on anything? It was just fun bubble gum. Yes let's join the military so I can be like Michael Myers.

That said going by 80's movies, Platoon did a better job of being anti-war than Full Metal Jacket. Honestly I found the 'in country' parts of FMJ paled in comparison to what Platoon did. I am social liberal, and I am pretty much anti-war. Movies like Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Gardens of Stone, etc. did influence my feelings on war, but a bigger influence was books like The Naked and the Dead, Johnny Got His Gun, and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Edit: Also my son has watched FMJ a couple of times (he laughs also), and we just visited Parris Island last month (my first time since boot camp). He has zero plans to go into the military (he is 15), because we have taught him not to go, not because of a movie or book.

Edit: I just read your last comment, and while everything has it's bad seeds, I have never experienced that. Most Marine attitudes are gently caress War or gently caress the Suck. You either are wrong or are you hanging out with a bunch of psychos. Your statement I find pretty much stereotyping.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 31, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is the full version of Metropolis the "definitive" one or is it worth seeing the other one up too?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Johnny Got His Gun would definitely do it to you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I watched Full Metal Jacket before I even thought about being a Marine, and many times during the 4 months I had to wait to go to Parris Island. I pretty much still laugh my rear end off watching the boot camp section of the movie. I went in the Marines for many reason, but to be clear people don't join the Marines to be a hero. It is filled with misfits who are just looking to belong to something, and what they find is what might be the greatest brotherhood ever in the Marines. Also to be clear on your one comment, Marines hate it when assholes (who usually are right wingers who never served) make anyone who joined the military into a hero just as much as we hate assholes who are anti-military.

Also who in the hell would ever think The Guest was pro-military or making a statement on anything? It was just fun bubble gum. Yes let's join the military so I can be like Michael Myers.

That said going by 80's movies, Platoon did a better job of being anti-war than Full Metal Jacket. Honestly I found the 'in country' parts of FMJ paled in comparison to what Platoon did. I am social liberal, and I am pretty much anti-war. Movies like Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Gardens of Stone, etc. did influence my feelings on war, but a bigger influence was books like The Naked and the Dead, Johnny Got His Gun, and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Edit: Also my son has watched FMJ a couple of times (he laughs also), and we just visited Parris Island last month (my first time since boot camp). He has zero plans to go into the military (he is 15), because we have taught him not to go, not because of a movie or book.

Edit: I just read your last comment, and while everything has it's bad seeds, I have never experienced that. Most Marine attitudes are gently caress War or gently caress the Suck. You either are wrong or are you hanging out with a bunch of psychos. Your statement I find pretty much stereotyping.

It's interesting that you mention Platoon, because Oliver Stone served in the military, and was trying to make an anti-war movie based on his experiences. Kubrick just liked war movies and war novels, and wanted to make his own commentary.

I live in a city with a large navy base. I worked for a school where 70% of the population were prior military (mostly army and marines, and then sailors; rarely air force). About half of my graduating class in high school and a lot of my friends joined the military for many reasons: they were misfits that felt like they didn't fit in; they couldn't afford college and were willing to spend 4 years in service and see active duty so they can get education (mostly) paid for; they wanted to leave their hometown; they have no other skills and feel military is the only career they can handle; they have a family and need the military benefits to provide a good life for them.

And then there are the people I've met that join the military for, what I would call, hosed up reasons. I met people who bragged about joining the military so they could legally kill. I met people who joined the military to fly drones because "it's cool to kill people like in a videogame". There ARE people that join the military so they can become heroes, because troops are put on pedestals. I have met people that went in the military for normal reasons, and then gained a blood lust for killing that never got wiped away when they came back to the states. I've met people who think that since they've taken lives, they don't have to answer to any authority anymore.

I live in the south, so more often than not, I'm dealing with people who freak out about the military like the troops are messiahs. And I had to deal with many students that felt they were entitled because of the fact that they signed up for the military and/or killed people. I also know that that's not everyone that joins the military.

I still stand by my views, but it's not like I insult people for joining the military. I considered the military for educational reasons. It can be a legitimate career, it can help a lot of people, but it still collects a lot of people for the wrong reasons. My point was that I can't imagine people watching the war movies I listed and getting inspired to join the military. I know it happens, but I was pointing out the fallacy and irony in this.

And I also think that R. Lee Ermey's scenes in FMJ are funny. I'm not a robot, I get dark comedy.

Back to the Netflix. I watched Creep, and while I liked Mark Duplass's performance, it was a boring movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I agree that Platoon is a more effective anti-war film that Full Metal Jacket, if only because Kubrick only makes beautiful films. Its harder to focus on the horrors of war when every 5 minutes you're going "Wow, look at that amazing shot!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I agree that Platoon is a more effective anti-war film that Full Metal Jacket, if only because Kubrick only makes beautiful films. Its harder to focus on the horrors of war when every 5 minutes you're going "Wow, look at that amazing shot!"

Platoon's pretty gorgeous too, really. some amazing Robert Richardson location photography in that movie. but it does portray a world that is deeply ugly.

still my favorite war movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Amazon Prime for August:

August 1
Erased (2012)
The Longest Day (1962)
Olympus, season 1 (2015 series)

August 4
Unforgiven (1992)

August 6
Curb Your Enthusiasm, seasons 1-8 (1999 series)
My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
In the Line of Fire (1993)

August 7
A Most Violent Year (2014)

August 12
Gett: Trial of Viviane Amsalen (2014)

August 15
If I Stay (2014)

August 16
Misery Loves Comedy (2015)

August 20
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl (2005)

August 22
Timbuktu (2014)

August 23
Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter (2014)

August 28
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

TBD
The Legend of Longwood (2014)
Tarzan (2013)

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 31, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

morestuff posted:

August 6
Curb Your Enthusiasm, seasons 1-8 (1999 series)

Whaaaaat

loving yes

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I really like this movie because of the Malkovichiness

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really like this movie because of the Malkovichiness

It's my favorite Malkovich performance. He plays a pretty cookie cutter villain, but he's so completely unhinged and intense that he elevates the character and the movie itself fantastically. Sort of like what Jeremy Irons did for Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

It's my favorite Malkovich performance. He plays a pretty cookie cutter villain, but he's so completely unhinged and intense that he elevates the character and the movie itself fantastically. Sort of like what Jeremy Irons did for Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Its a pretty scary performance, I was 9 when it came out and Malkovich's character scared the crap out of me.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I see that Netflix just added 11 seasons of NCIS. It's like bubblegum for your eyes. Nothing too challenging, and there's a nice group dynamic. Just like Leverage.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Its a pretty scary performance, I was 9 when it came out and Malkovich's character scared the crap out of me.

That scene where he's taunting Frank on the phone is fantastic, and when he screams about "showing me some goddamn respect" and slams the receiver down is goose bump material. He sells it like a champ, and it makes you wish he actually gave a poo poo about acting.

I think the movie really undercut his character by giving him MOTIVE!, because I thought he played better as a random obsessive nobody. Adding pathos and trying to justify his assassination plot with some halfassed burn notice claptrap was completely unnecessary. Again, like Irons in Die Hard with a Vengeance. Making Simon Hans's brother was stupid and pointless.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

Turambar posted:

I see that Netflix just added 11 seasons of NCIS. It's like bubblegum for your eyes. Nothing too challenging, and there's a nice group dynamic. Just like Leverage.

I watched the "2 idiots 1 keyboard" scene on youtube and it ruined this show for me.

EDIT : well it ruined it slightly more than the show ruined itself by being average.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Turambar posted:

I have this theory that the show is actually just an overlong PSA on workplace harassment and anger management issues. The amount of abuse that Gibbs directs at his underlings is hilarious.

Since we'd never believe a guy over 50 using a computer for anything, most of Mark Harmon's scenes are to storm into the situation room, angrily say, IVE ALREADY FIGURED IT OUT IDIOTS and storm out, expecting them to follow.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

space-man posted:

I watched the "2 idiots 1 keyboard" scene on youtube and it ruined this show for me.

EDIT : well it ruined it slightly more than the show ruined itself by being average.

That's probably the best part of the show

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

computer parts posted:

Is the full version of Metropolis the "definitive" one or is it worth seeing the other one up too?

Watch the full version because it actually has the scenes that were lost on all of the other releases of the movie. The older versions are all incomplete. Is the other one on there you are talking about the Giorgio Moroder edit? That one is worth watching, but you kind of have to take it as a novelty. He just took the movie and scored it with 80's pop songs. It's cool, but you should watch the complete version first.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

computer parts posted:

I assume you're referring to the Moroder restoration. I personally love it much more than any of the later, more classically-minded restorations, and it's essential from both a historical and cult film perspective. Back then, Metropolis was still largely unrecognized as a classic because usually you only ever saw it if you were a film historian or student or just a classic sci-fi buff, and only in heavily edited (basically butchered of what little subtlety there was). Moroder's movie, on the other hand, functions both as a restoration and homage. He realizes that he isn't able to present the film as Lang intended, so he instead tries to call attention to how prescient he was in terms of fascination with the future, technology, and class struggle, which, in the mid-'80s, held renewed significance. I feel it's mostly successful. All the music is composed by Moroder himself, and features the vocal talents of Adam Ant, Bonnie Tyler, Billy Squier, Freddie Mercury, and Pat Benatar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Again, for those who did not catch that: the Moroder Metropolis has a song produced by Moroder with Freddie Mercury on vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rzs8jgIxKA

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Again, for those who did not catch that: the Moroder Metropolis has a song produced by Moroder with Freddie Mercury on vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rzs8jgIxKA

Unfortunately in the film it's only, like a minute or two of screen time. The official soundtrack only includes one track from the original score, the rest are singles mixes exclusive to the album.

The most prominent cue is Pat Benatar singing "Here's My Heart," and it's sick. The Hel robot masquerading as Maria is accompanied by Tyler on "Here She Comes," and it's also loving awesome, and captures both the dichotomy between Maria and Hel perfectly while injecting it with an overt sympathy for both of them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm just saying, Moroder Metropolis is worth a drat simply because it created that song if nothing else.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Read through the last few pages, watched The Guest and I just wonder what David Fincher could have done with it. It was a good movie, but (third act spoilers): Scenes running through a maze/house of mirrors?! Seriously lazy poo poo, and they didn't even do anything interesting with it. They just emerge five minutes later to the final fight. I did like that they didn't bother too much with the explanation of the govt guys, just here's an antagonist that becomes the protagonist, no back story required. I was rooting for David until he killed mom. What a great "Ooppps he's the villain moment."

It was tight in editing, plot beats, and for the most part acting. The third act delved into lazy tropes, and not in a good or self-aware way like the rest of the movie, but overall the experience was worth my time.

Definitely recommend.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My only beef with the last act of The Guest is that they totally wasted that Perturbator track.

e: but then they made up for it with that Antonio song over the protagonist killing the title character which was just a loving fantastic scene.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm just saying, Moroder Metropolis is worth a drat simply because it created that song if nothing else.

Oh, no doubt. It also, not incidentally, resulted in Queen and music video director David Mallet acquiring the rights to the film, resulting in one of the best, most singularly defining music videos of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azdwsXLmrHE

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey, general announcement for people who like horror, A Nightmare on Elm Street is up on Netflix. If you've never seen it, buckle the hell up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hey, general announcement for people who like horror, A Nightmare on Elm Street is up on Netflix. If you've never seen it, buckle the hell up.

Along similar lines, I just found out The Killer is up there. That is worth a watch.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Along similar lines, I just found out The Killer is up there. That is worth a watch.

The Killer is a good choice. The drama aspects don't work for me, but the action is really good.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Motherfucker I just paid for a digital rental for this a week ago.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is it even possible to claim you like horror but also say you haven't seen this film?

Johnny Depp's best film imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Wet Hot American Summer: First Day at Camp make sense to people who haven't seen the movie? Anyway, it's amazing.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Wet Hot American Summer is on Netflix so I don't see why people wouldn't just watch that first.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Motherfucker I just paid for a digital rental for this a week ago.

Thank's for Muphy's Lawing it onto Netflix for me :madmax:

But really, A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the few movies I've seen that balances a well-constructed story with a bonkers screenplay so well. It throws everything at the wall, and it all sticks.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

But really, A Nightmare on Elm Street [...] throws everything at the wall, and it all sticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-frM2Lf8KE&t=33s

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Read through the last few pages, watched The Guest and I just wonder what David Fincher could have done with it. It was a good movie, but (third act spoilers): Scenes running through a maze/house of mirrors?! Seriously lazy poo poo, and they didn't even do anything interesting with it. They just emerge five minutes later to the final fight. I did like that they didn't bother too much with the explanation of the govt guys, just here's an antagonist that becomes the protagonist, no back story required. I was rooting for David until he killed mom. What a great "Ooppps he's the villain moment."

It was tight in editing, plot beats, and for the most part acting. The third act delved into lazy tropes, and not in a good or self-aware way like the rest of the movie, but overall the experience was worth my time.

Definitely recommend.

Yeah, generally agree with this. The Guest was like 2/3 good and 1/3 lazy and bad. I would say that the "oh he's the villian" moment came a lot sooner than him stabbing the mom. For me it was the gun buy scene where he just straight up and unnecessarily murdered the two guys. Yeah one guy's a druggie and the other guy's a black market gun dealer, but they were both presented as non-threatening and even affable. Then it's heavily implied that David murdered the dad's boss AND the boss's girlfriend.

The movie really did fall apart at the end though. As soon as the government guys show up it turns into a cheap action movie and David just turns into Slasher Antagonist #87. Could have been handled a bit better by not diving so hard into campy horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
extemely disagree. the guest was just fine. the final third was fine. and the final 10 seconds was beautiful