Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Poo has an incredible amount of strategy actually. According to the rules of that video, you actually have to take the cards and fling them at other players: do you go for the eyes? Maybe you try to injure their hands? So many possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tekopo posted:

Poo has an incredible amount of strategy actually. According to the rules of that video, you actually have to take the cards and fling them at other players: do you go for the eyes? Maybe you try to injure their hands? So many possibilities.

easy to learn, hard to master

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Corbeau posted:

Played Smallworld and Quantum tonight.

I actually enjoyed Smallworld, though it's not a brilliant game. It's light enough to talk super-casual gamers into (the alternatives that I avoided were Munchkin and Chez Geek - of the three, I feel quite confident in choosing Smallworld!), and it manages to lay out a broad civilization-esque narrative. It's no Eclipse, but I'd be happy to play it again in the future.

Smallworld is amazing as a gateway game but loses its lustre super quick. Don't expect to enjoy it much past your 5th (or so) play.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My regular group of friends tried Skull. Their thoughts: "eh, kinda complex. CAH is better".

:shepicide:

Luckily my family love it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Mister Sinewave posted:

Do you have a cat? Y/N

Our game table used to be an old pool table. It was fine as far as reaching things and arm-resting comfort went. So you could certainly do worse than aim for "pool table or less" in terms of rise, shape & size of raised border, etc.

The very obvious border also had a side effect of making an extremely clear border between out-side and in-side (game side) and not an appropriate place for e.g. drinks. Side tables did that job.

My current table is an abomination with like sharp 4+ inch sides. But the depth isn't really an issue like I thought it would be. Turns out it is pretty easy to reach DOWN to game pieces and not at all troublesome. It's an awful table but not because of the depth.

Oh my god you could use a pool table and have the holes be cupholders.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Azran posted:

My regular group of friends tried Skull. Their thoughts: "eh, kinda complex. CAH is better".

:shepicide:

Luckily my family love it.

I've succesfully played Skull with kids and people stoned out of their minds and both groups got it after one short round, your friends might be retarded.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

snuff posted:

I've succesfully played Skull with kids and people stoned out of their minds and both groups got it after one short round, your friends might be retarded.

Some people (like my girlfriend :shepicide:) absolutely do not find any kind of bluffing fun, and Skull doesn't work with that crowd. It's not that they don't get it, it's that they don't know how to bluff.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Holy hell are the faction enemies in Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla obnoxious. One of the glades I revealed has swiftness Elusive 3 Coldfire attack 4/8 Armor Ice+Fire Res with a Defender 2 enemy that has 4 armor and Fire Res.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Durendal posted:

Holy hell are the faction enemies in Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla obnoxious. One of the glades I revealed has swiftness Elusive 3 Coldfire attack 4/8 Armor Ice+Fire Res with a Defender 2 enemy that has 4 armor and Fire Res.

This game is out where is this game out can I buy this?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This game is out where is this game out can I buy this?

I preordered it from my FLGS and it came in yesterday. :shrug:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
How is the new Mage Knight Hero guy?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Pretty interesting.

I had a combo going from one of his skills that lets you use your base action card's move/block/attack as one of the other, and his action that let you block for ice/fire depinding on the time of day for the movent cost of the hex you were in. Also tossing a rage away for 4 move or a stamina for 4 attack is really loving nice, especially since he has some decent mana skills.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 31, 2015

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Played Smallworld and Quantum tonight.

I actually enjoyed Smallworld, though it's not a brilliant game. It's light enough to talk super-casual gamers into (the alternatives that I avoided were Munchkin and Chez Geek - of the three, I feel quite confident in choosing Smallworld!), and it manages to lay out a broad civilization-esque narrative. It's no Eclipse, but I'd be happy to play it again in the future.

Quantum is a tighter, more solid experience, but lacks the narrative hooks for imagination that Smallworld provides. Or, to put it more simply, Quantum is drier than Smallworld. Definitely a more mechanically interesting game though. The upgrade cards don't even seem remotely balanced and I'm not a fan of the reconfigure mechanic being a die roll (it feels out of place, both thematically and to a lesser extent mechanically), but I'd still be happy to play Quantum again in the future.
I'm gonna be playing some Quantum tonight and I'm looking forward to it. I have had to send off for new dice though as mine have this really gummy, sticky feel to them which is apparently not meant to be the case! The game itself seems great though. What issues did you have looking at the upgrade cards?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Man, just looking for mage knight expansion on amazon i'm glad i bought krang when i did cause now he's listed for $90.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Flipswitch posted:

I'm gonna be playing some Quantum tonight and I'm looking forward to it. I have had to send off for new dice though as mine have this really gummy, sticky feel to them which is apparently not meant to be the case! The game itself seems great though. What issues did you have looking at the upgrade cards?

A couple sessions of dishwashing soap and water and they'll be fine

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

4outof5 posted:

a cheap take that card game is your game of the con?

Edit: I could have saved you so much money going to 'the con' man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpkcPAjhLT0

It's fun stuff. Wouldn't call it a cheap card game. Plenty of games didn't get to try yet, so will have to see how it pans out. Also enjoyed WWE Superstar Showdown. Take Spartacus and focus just on Arena combat.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

signalnoise posted:

I do have a cat

So do I, and I find the ability to put a "lid" on my table pretty awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Aston posted:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Aston posted:

This doesn't work as well as you'd think. The pockets are deeper than they look and the bottoms aren't flat.

Unless you have an old/cheap pool table with the nets, then you can pretty easily modify those.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Flipswitch posted:

My friends copy had sticky dice also, it's apparently just child-worker pee.

The dice where so sticky that they could stick to my palm and not fall off when I turned them upside down.

Liked the game though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Sistergodiva posted:

My friends copy had sticky dice also, it's apparently just child-worker pee.

... what?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Smallworld is fun, but ever since I got the ipad app on a IOS sale for $2, I don't think I'll take out the game again anytime soon. It's fun to zip through in 20 minutes without rolling dice or counting tokens. lf you're going to break out the board and play for 2-3 hours, I've got better games to play.

The video tutorials that FFG puts online are the best thing for teaching new players how to play a game. I wish all games had good & concise video tutorials online.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SkeletonHero posted:

This doesn't work as well as you'd think. The pockets are deeper than they look and the bottoms aren't flat.

Unless you have an old/cheap pool table with the nets, then you can pretty easily modify those.

Nah it works fine, you just need a Big Gulp sized drink for it to fit properly. Trust me on this, I played D&D on a pool table throughout the entirely of highschool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Bang Dice a couple times yesterday. Probably one of the most boring games I've played. First game, I was an outlaw. I got a turn, got shot to death by literally everyone else. In the second game, I rolled the dice and got three dynamite immediately (which ends your turn) and two arrows (which has sort of a delayed damage effect, all you need to know is that this is literally the worst roll you can get). Then I got killed and got to browse my phone for twenty minutes while the rest of the game resolved.

Absolutely riveting. Almost no agency, pointless hidden roles, and special abilities that are wildly varying in uselessness. My first character, for example, could reroll dice a fourth time...in a game where a dice roll has a potential of damaging you. loving great.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

canyoneer posted:

Smallworld is fun, but ever since I got the ipad app on a IOS sale for $2, I don't think I'll take out the game again anytime soon. It's fun to zip through in 20 minutes without rolling dice or counting tokens. lf you're going to break out the board and play for 2-3 hours, I've got better games to play.

The video tutorials that FFG puts online are the best thing for teaching new players how to play a game. I wish all games had good & concise video tutorials online.

At least it makes up for their godawful rulebooks. Seriously, don't arrange the full rules of the game alphabetically

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So I picked up Bring Out Yer Dead because I love the theme (more games need to be about burying bodies) and have since played it twice - once with 4 and once with 5.
  1. The theme is better than the game play.
  2. You need people who can have fun with take-that gameplay, otherwise it's a pointless exercise in maximising points on a board.
  3. It's best with 5.
  4. It's not based on the Monty Python skit, so if anyone starts quoting it, hit them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

FFG announced a thing - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/warhammer-quest-the-adventure-card-game/

From a very quick read the rules remind me of the LOTR LCG and Death Angel.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zark the Damned posted:

FFG announced a thing - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/warhammer-quest-the-adventure-card-game/

From a very quick read the rules remind me of the LOTR LCG and Death Angel.

They also announced Runebound 3rd Edition and another Eldritch Horror big box. Runebound is apparently demoable, so I hope that they did away with the movement system, although I'm sure it'd piss off a lot of "old guard" since the movement system pretty much defined Runebound, for better or worse.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Also Hoax - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/hoax/

Which looks to be a more complicated version of Coup I guess?

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

They also announced Runebound 3rd Edition and another Eldritch Horror big box. Runebound is apparently demoable, so I hope that they did away with the movement system, although I'm sure it'd piss off a lot of "old guard" since the movement system pretty much defined Runebound, for better or worse.

In their video, they said the movement was the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kov9pzvbCBU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Picked up Argent today at the FLGS. Hopefully I'll get through the rules and be able to try it out tonight.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Meanwhile, Privateer Press have released their Descent/D&D Adventure System clone's tutorial video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBFgCnJ0Ms

I'm not feeling it, really. Maybe because the board is kinda bland.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Morpheus posted:

Played Bang Dice a couple times yesterday. Probably one of the most boring games I've played. First game, I was an outlaw. I got a turn, got shot to death by literally everyone else. In the second game, I rolled the dice and got three dynamite immediately (which ends your turn) and two arrows (which has sort of a delayed damage effect, all you need to know is that this is literally the worst roll you can get). Then I got killed and got to browse my phone for twenty minutes while the rest of the game resolved.

Absolutely riveting. Almost no agency, pointless hidden roles, and special abilities that are wildly varying in uselessness. My first character, for example, could reroll dice a fourth time...in a game where a dice roll has a potential of damaging you. loving great.

So exactly how a dice version of Bang! sounds like it would go.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Considering the new Mage Knight expansion was developed by people in the UK it's a bit weird that I can't find it on Amazon.

Forbidden Stars wise I think that the plan with expansions is possibly to continue the gimmick of the same four factions. They've specifically said the names of each group - so it's the Ultramarines instead of just Space Marines, World Eaters instead of just Chaos and etc.
So surely this means we'll get Imperial Fists, Thousand Sons, etc?

I think Tau would work in the game but it'd be pretty stupid to have Imperial Guard fighting Space Marines whereas you could either have Imperial Fists OR Ultramarines and etc.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Azran posted:

Meanwhile, Privateer Press have released their Descent/D&D Adventure System clone's tutorial video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBFgCnJ0Ms

I'm not feeling it, really. Maybe because the board is kinda bland.

That board is terrible.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Malloreon posted:

That board is terrible.

It's not all too dissimilar to the D&D boards. Compared to the Descent/ImpAss boards it's pretty embarrassing.

I'm intrigued because I like the way it models melee combat and range by allowing multiple figures in the same square though.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Hell yeah I was right about a new runebound. That's going to be a day one purchase for me .

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

bobvonunheil posted:

It's not all too dissimilar to the D&D boards. Compared to the Descent/ImpAss boards it's pretty embarrassing.

I'm intrigued because I like the way it models melee combat and range by allowing multiple figures in the same square though.

Yeah, that was cool. And then it started talking about how in between missions you only recover some of your hitpoints and you only get your revive potion back on a successful die roll and I couldn't stop screaming.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Yeah, that was cool. And then it started talking about how in between missions you only recover some of your hitpoints and you only get your revive potion back on a successful die roll and I couldn't stop screaming.

Oh poo poo, you're right. Welp, this game's likely a wash then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Has anybody spotted Tragedy Looper: Midnight Circle yet?