Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

It's the most important part of the discussion, though.

Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MisterBibs posted:

I have a feeling I've said this before (maybe this thread?), but I don't get the bemoaning the loss of really old movies/tv shows/etc. Doing it well is expensive, and you only know multiple decades later if all that expense was money well spent or not. For every lost Doctor Who episode, there's prolly a dozen of movies/tv shows that nobody has thought about in 70 years and you just threw money down a pit preserving it for no reason.

History is filled with examples where we didn't preserve something because we didn't think anyone would care only to find that it's something that now has value.

All those mono masters that studios trashed because who would want mono when you can have stereo? Those pre-Monty Python shows? The source code to a lot of games? Stuff from the Dumont Network.

The reality is that the things we didn't preserve weren't being trashed to save money on the preservation effort, but rather to save money on new tapes or because nobody thought to our we could clear this stuff out of storage.

It's a part of our history we are losing.

There are a lot of people who would die to read Homer's lost works.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The library of Alexandria probably was mostly tapes of local garage bands. No big loss.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

MisterBibs posted:

It's the most important part of the discussion, though. Old stuff isn't saved because money and resources are inherently finite, and not everything deserves the same amount of resources spent on preserving it. We only bemoan things not being saved retroactively.

And what's worth saving, since the folks who have to foot the bill for saving it aren't going to listen to an irrational "everything!" answer?

Remember, someone a century down the line will judge your response.

Irrationality in my arts and culture?!? Oh no!

Martin Scorsese would sock you in the jaw.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the funniest part is still that this guy's arguing that film preservation isn't that important since sometimes the movies are bad to a thread full of people who collectively raised thousands of dollars to restore and preserve a movie that is universally agreed to be terrible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

History is filled with examples where we didn't preserve something because we didn't think anyone would care only to find that it's something that now has value.

All those mono masters that studios trashed because who would want mono when you can have stereo? Those pre-Monty Python shows? The source code to a lot of games? Stuff from the Dumont Network.

The reality is that the things we didn't preserve weren't being trashed to save money on the preservation effort, but rather to save money on new tapes or because nobody thought to our we could clear this stuff out of storage.

It's a part of our history we are losing.

This is what I meant by retroactive caring. I'm not going to second guess someone deleting Game X's source code in 199X given the off chance it'll be randomly important decades down the line. Same with a random episode of a TV show.

Wanting to save poo poo like Ben has done is admirable. Thinking that everything we're making on 2015 should be saved is dumb as hell. We're not going to save everything, shits gonna get lost, and the future can get what it gets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cemetry Gator posted:

There are a lot of people who would die to read Homer's lost works.

We don't even know if Homer existed, let alone if he had any lost works. And they couldn't be read anyway since he was an illiterate storyteller.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

This is what I meant by retroactive caring. I'm not going to second guess someone deleting Game X's source code in 199X given the off chance it'll be randomly important decades down the line. Same with a random episode of a TV show.

Wanting to save poo poo like Ben has done is admirable. Thinking that everything we're making on 2015 should be saved is dumb as hell. We're not going to save everything, shits gonna get lost, and the future can get what it gets.

Why not save everything? There's no reason not to. Movies are an artform and art should be preserved. You haven't made a compelling argument at all.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MisterBibs posted:

What is your argument? Are you basically saying "Because we can't save everything, why should we worry about the stuff we're losing?" Because that's an incredibly cynical way of looking at the universe.

First off, in many cases, the stuff that people notice and care about that are missing aren't the small fry things, but rather, the big popular stuff. Dr. Who is a very successful show. There was no reason why the BBC wouldn't want to preserve it all, aside from a short-sighted thinking that nobody would have any interest in seeing them again.

And don't say "Well, it was the 1960s." Back then, EMI had a rule insisting every tape by bands like the Beatles and the Hollies be preserved. And because of those efforts, we have at the very least the final master tapes for every commercially released Beatles' song except for one. There are bands from the 80s where the best we can get are rips from vinyl records.

But this stuff is our culture. And we should be good stewards of our culture. Because keeping it allows people to build on it. How many works have been based off of Shakespeares' stuff, or ancient Greek epics? Even in a different sense, look at what they were able to do for Star Trek: The Next Generation. They were able to rebuild the show in better quality than could have been done at the time because they made the effort to save the film elements. And even though there's still some missing things, we now have a show that isn't stuck in the technological limits of the 80s.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

We don't even know if Homer existed, let alone if he had any lost works. And they couldn't be read anyway since he was an illiterate storyteller.

If you're going to be pedantic, you're still wrong in general. We are aware of the other works in the Epic Cycle because there are references to them elsewhere, and we have fragments of a few of them. For example, the Trojan Horse took place in one of the lost cycles. We know these works existed, that at one point they were written down, and that we have two complete works, and fragmentary evidence of other ones. And some of them were attributed to Homer.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

MisterBibs posted:

the future can get what it gets.
*dumps two decades' worth of Tonight Show kinescopes in the East River*

That actually happened, you know. Want to go back and see the time Bill Cosby came out after literally having just sexually assaulted one of the night's guests and pretended he was her? Get your SCUBA gear.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If any part of our wealth of cultural output isn't making money this particular quarter, gently caress it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

isn't the original miniseries version of the Qatermass Xperiment lost for good? if so, bite me, bibby.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

isn't the original miniseries version of the Qatermass Xperiment lost for good? if so, bite me, bibby.

Yeah. One of the dozens (?) of early BBC shows that was simply taped over or thrown out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Partially lost. The first two episodes were recorded (the second one was marred by an insect landing on the film camera and staying there for a few minutes, and the recording quality is utterly awful to the point if it weren't so historically important it have probably never been released), but the other four either weren't recorded, or the recordings were of even worse quality than the second episode and were thrown out.

Cemetry Gator posted:

If you're going to be pedantic, you're still wrong in general. We are aware of the other works in the Epic Cycle because there are references to them elsewhere, and we have fragments of a few of them. For example, the Trojan Horse took place in one of the lost cycles. We know these works existed, that at one point they were written down, and that we have two complete works, and fragmentary evidence of other ones. And some of them were attributed to Homer.

Just because they were part of the Epic Cycle doesn't mean they were authored by Homer, and attributions don't mean much when we're dealing with lost transcriptions of oral poems attributed to a man whose existence isn't even certain. They may have been composed or preformed by Homer, but since we only have plot outlines it's impossible to know for sure.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 1, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Why not save everything? There's no reason not to.

A finite amount of money and resources to do so. The same reasons why we don't save everything now are the same reasons the BBC used to justify saving old Doctor Who episodes. The same reason why a bunch of people paid Ben a chunk of change to save one product, but aren't going to do the same for the next preservation attempt. The reason why Ben had to do a KS at all instead of someone else preserving it Because Reasons.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

A finite amount of money and resources to do so. The same reasons why we don't save everything now are the same reasons the BBC used to justify saving old Doctor Who episodes. The same reason why a bunch of people paid Ben a chunk of change to save one product, but aren't going to do the same for the next preservation attempt. The reason why Ben had to do a KS at all instead of someone else preserving it Because Reasons.

As noted, film preservation doesn't have to be expensive.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
We also need to be clear that "saving" in the sense of keeping material and "saving" in the sense of active acts of preservation are two different things.

I've been following a guy that's been running a Gofundme campaign to get decent digital transfers of a famous kid's show from the 1950s while it's still feasible. Two problems with getting all the way to the end (besides the obvious funding hurdle): the archive is nearly 700 episodes deep, and many of the films have gone all brittle and warped. Obviously it costs much more to correct for that even just doing an unrestored transfer.

These films fall firmly in the "not lost, just unavailable" category and have been in the same institutional hands for decades, so this case is a different situation than what Dr. Who fans dealt with, where just finding the sources has been the biggest hurdle. But it's obvious this collection needed a little more hands-on care over the years to not be a nailbiter now that somebody's been moved to action.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 1, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

This project was only expensive because of the age of the master, the total cost of preservation from then to today would've been much less if it was started immediately after than the total cost was today to bring it to its current quality. It's like the difference between the cost of maintenance of a classic 50s car if it had been actively maintained from creation to the present vs. the cost of restoring one that had been left to rust a year after manufacture. The latter would obviously be far more expensive.

And I mean, the Library of Congress's entire point is literally preserving all creative output in the US, and it's been doing so for decades already, so it's not like preserving literally everything isn't already a thing that people are trying to do.

Idran fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 1, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Actually, I think the crowdfunding for Manos has sparked more interest in doing the same for other films. Milestone was able to crowdfund preservations of A Portrait of Jason and Samuel Beckett's Film. Neither of which are particularly well known. Vinegar Syndrome was built on crowdfunding.

There's several films I can think of that would be fully successful crowdfunded restorations if the rights holders would let it happen.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Inevitably, things will get lost to history, but that's definitely not a reason to not bother with or worry about preservation. Even if early films were mostly dudes sneezing, the evolution of film from 1900 until the talkie era was crazy. Hell, audiences were freaked out when people were cropped in frame because it look like they had been bifurcated. Just having these films to study as far as what people filmed, and how they were filmed could give historians a better sense of how media changes over time as technology, technique, and culture change. And just because people don't care about something at one point, doesn't mean it wont be relevant later on. Citizen Kane wasn't thought of highly until a decade or two after it premiered. Even today's viral videos may seem dumb and irrelevant, but 50 years out youtube culture may be a huge issue for one reason or another and early viral videos may be important to people then, who knows. But in any case, if you don't care about film archival, that's fine, but you don't have to disparage it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EasyEW posted:

We also need to be clear that "saving" in the sense of keeping material and "saving" in the sense of active acts of preservation are two different things.

I've been following a guy that's been running a Gofundme campaign to get decent digital transfers of a famous kid's show from the 1950s while it's still feasible. Two problems with getting all the way to the end (besides the obvious funding hurdle): the archive is nearly 700 episodes deep, and many of the films have gone all brittle and warped. Obviously it costs much more to correct for that even just doing an unrestored transfer.

These films fall firmly in the "not lost, just unavailable" category and have been in the same institutional hands for decades, so this case it's a different situation than what Dr. Who fans dealt with, where just finding the sources has been the biggest hurdle. But it's obvious this collection needed a little more hands-on care over the years to not be a nailbiter now that somebody's been moved to action.
Which show?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

pwn posted:

Which show?

I wasn't going to say it unless somebody asked: Kukla Fran and Ollie.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 1, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Inevitably, things will get lost to history, but that's definitely not a reason to not bother with or worry about preservation. Even if early films were mostly dudes sneezing, the evolution of film from 1900 until the talkie era was crazy. Hell, audiences were freaked out when people were cropped in frame because it look like they had been bifurcated. Just having these films to study as far as what people filmed, and how they were filmed could give historians a better sense of how media changes over time as technology, technique, and culture change. And just because people don't care about something at one point, doesn't mean it wont be relevant later on. Citizen Kane wasn't thought of highly until a decade or two after it premiered. Even today's viral videos may seem dumb and irrelevant, but 50 years out youtube culture may be a huge issue for one reason or another and early viral videos may be important to people then, who knows. But in any case, if you don't care about film archival, that's fine, but you don't have to disparage it.

When I was in high school, I became really interested in watching the cartoons that were produced around WWII, especially since Disney released a set of them. It really help change some of my understanding of WWII, since I was seeing the work that really presented how people viewed the war and the enemy and gain an understanding for the thinking of the time. Imagine writing about Obama's presidency, and having Youtube videos to turn to so you could get a sense of what people were thinking and what they were saying. It could be fascinating. You could really understand Birtherism and all that other jazz. Our culture is a reflection of our times. Writing about the 90s and being able to watch Seinfeld and the Simpsons will give you an understanding of how American's actually live.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Imagine writing about Obama's presidency, and having Youtube videos to turn to so you could get a sense of what people were thinking and what they were saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CUSEPPKzU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

There are actually quite a few historical characters that we only know of based on what their enemies wrote about them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

When I was in high school, I became really interested in watching the cartoons that were produced around WWII, especially since Disney released a set of them. It really help change some of my understanding of WWII, since I was seeing the work that really presented how people viewed the war and the enemy and gain an understanding for the thinking of the time. Imagine writing about Obama's presidency, and having Youtube videos to turn to so you could get a sense of what people were thinking and what they were saying. It could be fascinating. You could really understand Birtherism and all that other jazz. Our culture is a reflection of our times. Writing about the 90s and being able to watch Seinfeld and the Simpsons will give you an understanding of how American's actually live.

"New York must have been an inexpensive place to live, rents seemingly kept low by racial quotas allowing only white professionals under 35. Even comedians and the unemployed mentally ill could afford spacious apartments in the old city center. For unknown reasons, family groups sat at only three sides of their tables, all facing an empty fourth setting."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

"New York must have been an inexpensive place to live, rents seemingly kept low by racial quotas allowing only white professionals under 35. Even comedians and the unemployed mentally ill could afford spacious apartments in the old city center. For unknown reasons, family groups sat at only three sides of their tables, all facing an empty fourth setting."

What, you're telling me that people in Shakespeare's time didn't constantly speak in Iambic Pentameter and for no reason what so ever break out into soliloquies?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Just in case anyone is interested, goon-run label's Manos: The Hands of Fate vinyl issue is up for pre-order now. Red/Black swirl "The Master" vinyl available only through Ship to Shore. Records will ship mid-September!

http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/13817541-manos-the-hands-of-fate

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Pre-ordered! There's also a "Torgo Brown" version available at another site that sounds kind of gross.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I was just checking my Amazon order history and I noticed that the price on the Blu-Ray is down to $14.99!

So anyone who wouldn't spend $25 on a movie or wasn't able to contribute to the kickstarter, you now have no excuse!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Is it still shipping 13 Oct.? That's what Synapse website says.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Yep, the 13th of October is our official street date. At this moment, the Amazon Blu-ray preorder costs even less than the DVD preorder, and of course you'll be getting the unrestored "grindhouse" print on the Blu-ray as an exclusive bonus.

On a related note, one of the few $1000 backers still hasn't upgraded to Blu-ray last I checked. I offered to get him a player myself, but he's happy with his SD TV. These brave holdouts still do exist.

Off topic, here's a little teaser for what's next. Given that we have some very good Original Camera Negatives to work with, it will be a faster and less costly restoration... a perfect excuse to make the jump to working (and delivering?!) in 4K.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ben Solo posted:

Yep, the 13th of October is our official street date. At this moment, the Amazon Blu-ray preorder costs even less than the DVD preorder, and of course you'll be getting the unrestored "grindhouse" print on the Blu-ray as an exclusive bonus.

On a related note, one of the few $1000 backers still hasn't upgraded to Blu-ray last I checked. I offered to get him a player myself, but he's happy with his SD TV. These brave holdouts still do exist.

I actually sent a message to the kickstarter page a while back asking if i could switch my backer disc from DVD to Blu Ray but never got a response. Is it still possible?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ben Solo posted:

Off topic, here's a little teaser for what's next. Given that we have some very good Original Camera Negatives to work with, it will be a faster and less costly restoration... a perfect excuse to make the jump to working (and delivering?!) in 4K.

Can't wait for a special features documentary about Xeres the Cat.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually sent a message to the kickstarter page a while back asking if i could switch my backer disc from DVD to Blu Ray but never got a response. Is it still possible?

I may have forgotten to respond, but every request to change formats before the order date was included in the order. If you'll message me again (to confirm your identity) I can verify it for you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Why not save everything? There's no reason not to. Movies are an artform and art should be preserved. You haven't made a compelling argument at all.

because that's called 'hoarding'. you want an entire society of hoarders.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 30, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

What's the ETA for Kickstarter backers to get their copies? Also I sent you a message on Kickstarter a while back about updating my address, and I'm not sure if you responded. The "old" address will still work so it's not a huge deal, but having it shipped to my house would be preferable. :)

Edit-- nevermind, I checked my Kickstarter messages and it looks like you have my updated address. Thanks!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 30, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

because that's called 'hoarding'

for every lost Homer people itt are bemoaning there's a thousand-plus antique shops absolutely packed to the gills with historical artifacts, none of which will ever be precious and none of which you give a drat about. insisting that we spend an indefinite and ever-increasing amount of humanity's time and resources to obsessively preserve every Youtube cat video without quality filtration is to demand that we make our culture a landfill

It would only have an impact on culture if we were saying all works should be an equal part of active consideration; as in we should care about actively watching all things equally. Historical preservation is for reflection, it's not part of live culture. I mean, this is what the Library of Congress has been doing with books for over 100 years but no one complains that the LoC's mandatory deposit policy for literally every book registered for copyright in the US since 1909 is somehow a negative impact on literary culture, because they aren't actively part of the culture of the day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also Ben Solo, this thread on film restoration might be of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

because that's called 'hoarding'. you want an entire society of hoarders.

Well, if we make sure that the A&E show Hoarders is preserved for future generations, we can warn them about the dangers of hoarding.

Therefor, our hoarding of Hoarders will prevent hording!

• Locked thread