Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions! Got the Edge Pro Apex knockoff and the Shapton stones today and gave it a shot. Seems to work great and my knives are razor sharp! It also included the spring, so I solely put in an order on CKTG for the magnet. Still a long way to go with my sharpening skills, even with a machine, hah.

How do I know when my knives are hilariously sharp? Any good tests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! Got the Edge Pro Apex knockoff and the Shapton stones today and gave it a shot. Seems to work great and my knives are razor sharp! It also included the spring, so I solely put in an order on CKTG for the magnet. Still a long way to go with my sharpening skills, even with a machine, hah.

Like this

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The best way is just to cut up some vegetables and see how well your knives do on them. Some people like to test by taking some printer paper or news paper and slicing it edge on but that isn't going to be entirely representative of the performance on actual ingredients.

Here, have a video of some dude reviewing a knife, it ought to give you an idea how a reasonably sharp knife goes through product: https://youtu.be/7cqcott6iE4

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Good? Just use them. Do they seem sharp enough? Then they're sharp enough.

If you want something more quantitative get a scale with memory (you want to record the maximum), put a tomato or whatever the gently caress on it and cut. This is pretty much the ghetto version of how an industrial/laboratory sharpness tester works.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I'm doing a big move and I'm using the opportunity to give away my lovely knives and put together a decent set. I know there's a lot of Japanese knife love here, but I'm debating making the center of my set a German chef's knife and adding some traditional Japanese knives later.

My rationale is that my girlfriend and I are moving in together, and I want to get something that she and I would both enjoy using. She only cooks to keep me from having to do it all the time and would not want a finicky or fragile knife. On the other hand, I'm serious about my cooking and would enjoy obsessing over and taking care of purpose-built knives.

So I think I should just skip a gyuto and go for a heavier Western chef's knife that we could both use. Does this seem reasonable, or should I be looking at gyutos too?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fartzilla posted:

I'm doing a big move and I'm using the opportunity to give away my lovely knives and put together a decent set. I know there's a lot of Japanese knife love here, but I'm debating making the center of my set a German chef's knife and adding some traditional Japanese knives later.

My rationale is that my girlfriend and I are moving in together, and I want to get something that she and I would both enjoy using. She only cooks to keep me from having to do it all the time and would not want a finicky or fragile knife. On the other hand, I'm serious about my cooking and would enjoy obsessing over and taking care of purpose-built knives.

So I think I should just skip a gyuto and go for a heavier Western chef's knife that we could both use. Does this seem reasonable, or should I be looking at gyutos too?

Just get a Tojiro DP, it's not fragile unless you bang away at hard frozen stuff or use it as a pry bar. Basically as long as you use it as a knife it's plenty robust. The warnings about fragility come more from the high end, high HRC(65+) and extremely thin knives. A Tojiro DP is not very thin nor very hard and should be plenty robust.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'd only get a western style knife if both of your styles are rock/slice or chop with the heel of the knife most of the time. If you cut like that then get a western chefs knife with a decent belly.
If you push cut/slice with a knife mostly, then get a Japanese style knife.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 7, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fo3 posted:

I'd only get a western style knife if both of your styles are rock/slice or chop with the heel of the knife most of the time. If you cut like that then get a western chefs knife with a decent belly.
If you push cut/slice with a knife mostly, then get a Japanese style knife.

You can find plenty of Japanese knives that are well suited to rocking, including rocking high over things like heads of cabbage.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Knives need to be sharp for your application.

Kitchen wise, this usually means cutting tomatoes or fish without destroying them.

The two general tests for a knife are paper cutting and shaving. Any edge that can shave is probably too sharp for most kitchen needs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

revdrkevind posted:

Any edge that can shave is probably too sharp for most kitchen needs.

I'm sure you thought this was right, but it isn't. I can shave with all of my knives easily, and that is what is required of them. Please brunoise a carrot with a knife that isn't shaving sharp, I'll wait.

What is important is to have a compound grind/edge where you have a 20 degree edge for support, and then your 10-15 degree edge on that to cut with.

As for testing sharpness, I see if it can shave my arm. To check for microchipping, I use newspaper or ticket paper. If I snag, there's a problem there and I should fix it.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm sure you thought this was right, but it isn't. I can shave with all of my knives easily, and that is what is required of them. Please brunoise a carrot with a knife that isn't shaving sharp, I'll wait.

What is important is to have a compound grind/edge where you have a 20 degree edge for support, and then your 10-15 degree edge on that to cut with.

As for testing sharpness, I see if it can shave my arm. To check for microchipping, I use newspaper or ticket paper. If I snag, there's a problem there and I should fix it.

This makes me wonder what the general opinion is of convex edges for kitchen knives.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Globals have convex grinds. I hate Globals.

Convex grinds are actually really good, but the amount of skill required to do it properly is out of the average person's ability.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

How would you do a convex grind at home? Rotate the blade as you move it across the stone?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think people talk about putting sandpaper on a mouse pad or using a strop.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
The grind and the edge aren't the same thing. You can have, for example, a convex edge on a flat ground knife.

To some degree, a freehand sharpened blade will have a convex edge because of your inability to hold the *exact* same angle as you sharpen.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Am trying to decide if I want to spend £150 ($230) on a 150mm Kato Petty. It's been upgraded with an ironwood handle and comes with a Saya, but i've not used carbon steel before so I'm unsure how much it will affect by home cooking with the constant wiping it down. It's the same as this but with a different handle: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/yoshiaki-fujiwara-150mm-petty/

And I don't have it in hand yet, but this is on its way to me at the moment:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Your first carbon knife is kind of like a pair of nice new shoes. At first you obsess/worry about keeping them from getting any little blemish/scuff, but after a while they get broken in, poo poo happens, and you relax. Similarly, at the start you'll probably spend a lot of time worrying about preventing any kind of tarnishing or rusting, obsessively wiping it down, and when you inevitably do slip up and see some little rust spots forming you'll freak out. But eventually it becomes second nature to just give it a wipe before walking away and when/if rust happens you just buff it out with a rust eraser or scotch-brite pad, no big deal. I wipe my stainless knives too to keep crap from drying onto them and I've never oiled either of my carbon knives and haven't had an issue, so it's really very little extra work for me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

CCK Large Slicer came in a few days ago! It's my first Chinese cleaver and carbon steel knife. Oiled the handle with some mineral spirits and gave it a sharpen with the Apex knockoff at 25* and the thing is terrifyingly sharp. So far I've prepped a bunch of meals for my girlfriend's macro splits and yes, it's pretty much the best thing ever. I'm still fairly clunky with it but I can already see this becoming my primary cutting utensil. Between this and my Miyabi I think I'm finally set on knives. :)

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm wondering if anyone here has ever used a GMF Platinum USA Professional knife and might know anything about them. I bought my first knife set (Wustof) after taking a knife-skills class, and unfortunately the set only came with a 6" chef's knife. I skipped the 8" and went straight to the 10" and thought I'd try the GMF.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
I think some Victorinox chef knives are on Prime deals today maybe? I saw the wavy slicer on a deal for $30 which who cares.

But I'm seeing the 10-inch for $33.75.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47521-10-Inch-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0000CF8YO

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Can anybody recommend me a good 2000 grit stone? I've got a combo 300/1000 one right now and I use the 1000 for touch ups on my global 8", but I want to refine the edge just a little but more than what I'm getting with the 1000 grit. Also picking up the 240mm tojiro DP from this deal which comes with a paring knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html

Looks a steal if anybody else is on the edge about getting some new cutlery

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Pikey posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good 2000 grit stone? I've got a combo 300/1000 one right now and I use the 1000 for touch ups on my global 8", but I want to refine the edge just a little but more than what I'm getting with the 1000 grit. Also picking up the 240mm tojiro DP from this deal which comes with a paring knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/topr2pcset.html

Looks a steal if anybody else is on the edge about getting some new cutlery

The 2k Shapton glass or pro are quite nice if you like hard and fast stones, the Naniwa Green Brick is really great if you like a softer stone with lots of nice mud.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am in the market for a chinese cleaver. Been looking at these two models:

http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-S...chinese+cleaver

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-440-...in%3A3242350011

Can't shell for a CCK (and chef knives to go would have to ship international so monstruous fees anyway), so I am just checking cheaper models. Any thoughts?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

I am in the market for a chinese cleaver. Been looking at these two models:

http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-S...chinese+cleaver

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-440-...in%3A3242350011

Can't shell for a CCK (and chef knives to go would have to ship international so monstruous fees anyway), so I am just checking cheaper models. Any thoughts?

Of those two I'd get the Dexter one(the first link) it's not great but it will be a decent knife until you can get something better.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: nevermind!

Edit: OK, mind!

I have a 8.25" Shun Classic Deba that I love to bits but rarely get to use. I'm moving into a new house (out from inlaws) so I get my own loving kitchen. It's going to be a glorious experience. Now I personally plan on eventually getting a slicer and paring knife to complement my deba, but my wife is tiny and has little baby hands and needs something less cumbersome for her. I'd still like her to get accustomed to using good knives.

What's a good brand of knife to save up for, for her to get a nice little knife set of her own? I was thinking she might like Globals because of the handles, and because they make these cook's knives that might work better for her than a full on 8+ inch chef's knife. She prefers the santoku shape and is also fearful of paring knives due to an incident between her thumb and a horse.

She also wants a bread knife.

What should I look at to save up for?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 31, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

edit: nevermind!

Edit: OK, mind!

I have a 8.25" Shun Classic Deba that I love to bits but rarely get to use. I'm moving into a new house (out from inlaws) so I get my own loving kitchen. It's going to be a glorious experience. Now I personally plan on eventually getting a slicer and paring knife to complement my deba, but my wife is tiny and has little baby hands and needs something less cumbersome for her. I'd still like her to get accustomed to using good knives.

What's a good brand of knife to save up for, for her to get a nice little knife set of her own? I was thinking she might like Globals because of the handles, and because they make these cook's knives that might work better for her than a full on 8+ inch chef's knife. She prefers the santoku shape and is also fearful of paring knives due to an incident between her thumb and a horse.

She also wants a bread knife.

What should I look at to save up for?

Ok, I'll give you a range of models to look at, I'm sticking to stainless steels for easy care with these:

Tojiro DP Santoku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpsakn17.html
A good basic Santoku, otherwise unremarkable.

Takayuki Damascus Hammered Santoku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadahasa18.html
Higher quality than the Tojiro DP, good performance and very nice looking.

Masakage Kiri VG-10 Santoku: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masakagekiri.html
I have the Nakiri from this same line of knives, it's a very good knife and cuts extremely well, very pretty and has a very nice japanese style oval handle. Out of stock right now but you can sign up to have them e-mail you when it comes back into stock.

Ok, for bread knives:

Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
Awesome knife, super cheap but also pretty huge.

Tojiro DP Serrated Bread 215mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpbrkn21.html
Much shorter than the one above, probably better suited to your wife's hands.

Also Globals are sort of crap these days and over priced.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I like these suggestions. How does Shun Classic stack up to Tojiro DP?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

I like these suggestions. How does Shun Classic stack up to Tojiro DP?

Tojiros are slightly better in general as far as blade quality goes but not as pretty, the fit and finish on Tojiros can leave something to be desired, though CKTG is pretty good about catching ones with badly fit handles and such and sending them back before the end up in customer's hands. The two other santokus I suggested are much better in that area along with being much superior cutters.

BTW, do you do everything with a deba? :raise:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BTW, do you do everything with a deba? :raise:

Right now I don't do much of any cooking which is why I haven't posted seriously in this forum in years. But yeah I basically have been using it as my chef's knife. I got it as a gift a few years ago and haven't bothered to improve my arsenal as until now I did not have a kitchen I could call my own. If it involves cutting meat or produce, I reach for my one knife because at its worst it was better than every other knife in the loving house. Also, I found out poking around that site that what I have is not a Shun Classic, it's a Pro model. So I got that going for me, whatever that's worth.

Having seen that the game's apparently changed for the cheaper, I'll likely be buying a mixed set of knives instead of sticking with Shun. I definitely cannot afford a whole set of Shun Pros.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Right now I don't do much of any cooking which is why I haven't posted seriously in this forum in years. But yeah I basically have been using it as my chef's knife. I got it as a gift a few years ago and haven't bothered to improve my arsenal as until now I did not have a kitchen I could call my own. If it involves cutting meat or produce, I reach for my one knife because at its worst it was better than every other knife in the loving house. Also, I found out poking around that site that what I have is not a Shun Classic, it's a Pro model. So I got that going for me, whatever that's worth.

Having seen that the game's apparently changed for the cheaper, I'll likely be buying a mixed set of knives instead of sticking with Shun. I definitely cannot afford a whole set of Shun Pros.

The Shun pros are pretty nice knives but you should really get something other than a deba for general use. I'll give you some gyuto suggestions.

Tojiro DP Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html
Bog standard Tojiro gyuto, really good for the price but it can have the same fit and finish issues as the rest of the DP line. However if you want to get this knife get it via this deal, 240mm Gyuto and a 90mm paring knife for less than the Gyuto alone? Yes please.

Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagigy24.html
A big step up from the Tojiro, very good cutting performance, a little rough on the fit and finish, a rustic knife. It preforms more like a lot of the $200+ knives.

If I were in your shoes I'd jump on the Tojiro DP two piece set deal ASAP.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html
Awesome knife, super cheap but also pretty huge.

I have this and it's amazeballs, hands down the best utility/bread I've used.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNs4zB6zXg
WOM WOM WOM WOM WUBWUBWUBWUB

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

deimos posted:

I was taught that bread knives aren't worth spending money on and that an expensive one won't give noticeably better performance than a $10 Oxo one. Not so?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get a decent bread knife that is sharp and stays sharp for a while and eventually I just buy a new one. Like a cheap decent one.

That was when I was cooking professionally though and it got a lot of use. It is possible to sharpen or hone a bread knife but usually it's too much of a bother.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I get a decent bread knife that is sharp and stays sharp for a while and eventually I just buy a new one. Like a cheap decent one.

That was when I was cooking professionally though and it got a lot of use. It is possible to sharpen or hone a bread knife but usually it's too much of a bother.

The Tojiro ITK one is fairly easy to sharpen because it uses such large serrations.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Anyone have experience with hocho-knife.com ?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Let's say I want to sharpen knives and some woodworking tools. Would this be ok (would add a strop)

http://www.amazon.ca/EZE-LAP-DD8SF-Diamond-Sharpening-Included/dp/B002RL84FS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438869434&sr=8-7&keywords=eze-lap

EZE-LAP double sided diamond stone 1200-600

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

Let's say I want to sharpen knives and some woodworking tools. Would this be ok (would add a strop)

http://www.amazon.ca/EZE-LAP-DD8SF-Diamond-Sharpening-Included/dp/B002RL84FS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438869434&sr=8-7&keywords=eze-lap

EZE-LAP double sided diamond stone 1200-600

It should work but diamond is very quick so be very careful to not make mistakes. Also it will leave very deep scratch patterns so I'm not sure how well a strop would work to even that out.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If I were in your shoes I'd jump on the Tojiro DP two piece set deal ASAP.

I got that combo set in the mail today and promptly cut the poo poo out of my finger with the paring knife. That fucker is sharp.

A question on sharpening, is the 320 grit stone you use a standard thing, or do you only use it if you need to repair some serious damage? Could you just start with the 1k stone for knives that are in fairly decent shape?

And could I use one of those edge pro things for woodworking chisels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

I got that combo set in the mail today and promptly cut the poo poo out of my finger with the paring knife. That fucker is sharp.

A question on sharpening, is the 320 grit stone you use a standard thing, or do you only use it if you need to repair some serious damage? Could you just start with the 1k stone for knives that are in fairly decent shape?

And could I use one of those edge pro things for woodworking chisels?

The 320 is used when creating a fresh edge or doing repair work, if the knives are in decent shape starting with the 1k is fine. And I would not try to use the EP on a chisel, the handle would get in the way.

• Locked thread