Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well It's all together but my 4-in-1 ESC doesn't want to calibrate on Tricopter mode, made my Motor 1 start smoking, and assuming it was a bad motor I wired in another one and smoked it too. Looks like I'll have to use boring old regular ESC's. I love the 4-in-1's because it also provides 5v for my FC, it's such a simple system with one installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Mister Sinewave posted:

Can ESC calibration just be lost out of the blue? It was calibrated before and was working previously.

When dealing with RC aircraft and asking the question "Can [bizarre or unlikely problem] happen for seemingly no reason?" the answer is invariably "yes".

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Arrest that rear end! posted:

When dealing with RC aircraft and asking the question "Can [bizarre or unlikely problem] happen for seemingly no reason?" the answer is invariably "yes".

Heh. Like when i came in here asking if i should replace props that have stress marks but otherwise look fine, and if they could just shear off mid-flight without warning. Turns out, yes. Yes they can.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Hah, good point. It's certainly worth checking and besides no one's piped up saying "oh yeah that's what it looks like when X goes south" to my original description either.

I'd love for it to be ESC calibration, then I don't need to pull anything out of this pretty but not very serviceable frame.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have an experience question.

I fired up my tricopter and noticed that one motor "twitches" instead up spinning up at low throttle, then once it gets going it seems normal.

The other two motors spin up smoothly but the one gives a couple back and forth twitches instead, then picks up.

Is this more likely the ESC or the motor? It looks like it's 'missing steps' until the momentum and rpm lets it cruise past.

The prop recently dug into the turf (ratched tail servo) but the motor doesn't seem damaged or rough in any way.

I feel like which direction to troubleshoot first is probably an experience call.

I had similar-ish symptoms on a motor once (Ntm prop drive from hobbyking); one motor took slightly longer to get going than the others on my quad, but after that it seemed fine (and it was, for a few minutes flying, until it suddenly wasn't). Turned out to be a duff solder joint (on the motor end, under the factory heat shrink :argh: ). So yeah, I'd try swapping it out if you can (If the esc cal doesn't work)...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Mister Sinewave posted:

Hah, good point. It's certainly worth checking and besides no one's piped up saying "oh yeah that's what it looks like when X goes south" to my original description either.

I'd love for it to be ESC calibration, then I don't need to pull anything out of this pretty but not very serviceable frame.

I've had ESC's reset themselves, or go out of whack at least 3 times. Always thought it was a bad motor or wiring, and was always fixed with a re-calibration. It's weird that it's happened so many times. I think it's always been plush ESCs.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Speaking of weird things that go wrong, I've just wired up my first fpv to, an immersionrc, with a ground / video out cable from the USB port of a mobius, and I'm not getting any luck picking up a signal on my screen.

There's *something*, like the same image flickering multiple times with loads of static, but nothing clear. Am I looking at lovely antennas? Noisy power going into the transmitter? Dodgy soldering by me to make the camera - tx cable? All of the above?

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

occluded posted:

Speaking of weird things that go wrong, I've just wired up my first fpv to, an immersionrc, with a ground / video out cable from the USB port of a mobius, and I'm not getting any luck picking up a signal on my screen.

There's *something*, like the same image flickering multiple times with loads of static, but nothing clear. Am I looking at lovely antennas? Noisy power going into the transmitter? Dodgy soldering by me to make the camera - tx cable? All of the above?

Are you saying you're going to use the mobius as an FPV camera? This is not a good idea.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm completely new to RC flyers, but FPV quadcopters seem like a fun hobby. Not racing or anything, just flying around outside. Is there a recommended beginner's setup for FPV, or to quadcopters generally? The OP seems a little outdated.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Dont' "start" FPV. The hubsan 104 is still the way to go for a first quad. for $100 you can set yourself up to cover all your mistakes for a long time.

Your first FPV rig will cost you $400-1000, so long as you go with a mini quad. The low end is with foam goggles, or a monitor, the high end is with fatshark or similar goggles.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there anyone here who PREFERS a monitor vs goggles? Just curious.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Martytoof posted:

I do - I'm able to get a larger viewing screen, as well as the ability to spot the craft in the air if needed.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Time to get soldering babby's first drone.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Nerobro posted:

Dont' "start" FPV. The hubsan 104 is still the way to go for a first quad. for $100 you can set yourself up to cover all your mistakes for a long time.

Your first FPV rig will cost you $400-1000, so long as you go with a mini quad. The low end is with foam goggles, or a monitor, the high end is with fatshark or similar goggles.

I figured buying a non-FPV craft to practice might be the way to go. I can't find many references to the Hubsan 104 though, but I see the 107 everywhere. Is it an updated model?

Also, one of the versions of the Hubsan X4 calls itself FPV but sells for $150. Is a cheap version like that not recommended?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I had my maiden flight with the Fat Shark gear. Pretty hard to judge altitude at a certain point. I had several moments I was dicking around at height, when I suddenly found myself stalling, and the lack of close-by objects kept me from noticing. Due to that, it's actually "easier" to fly near ground.

Sadly I don't have any reserve props anymore, so now I'm waiting for the new batch. :(

Takkaryx posted:

Time to get soldering babby's first drone.
Triple blade props worth it? I was considering getting a set or two of either 5040 or 6030 to put on my DYS 1806-2300 motors. Fully kitted with either 1400mah+GoPro or 3000mah, I'm at 580gr AUW and I feel like I need to raise throttle quite a bit to manoeuver. And I've already a custom curve that brings hover RPMs down to 25% throttle on the RC (I need more than 40% when mapped linearly to just hover).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 30, 2015

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Are you saying you're going to use the mobius as an FPV camera? This is not a good idea.

Yeah I saw that advice in a few more places and took delivery of a lovely little flight camera this morning.

And I figured out my problems - screen wasn't set to NTSC, or PAL, or whatever it needed to be set to. All works like a charm now.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Nolanar posted:

I figured buying a non-FPV craft to practice might be the way to go. I can't find many references to the Hubsan 104 though, but I see the 107 everywhere. Is it an updated model?

Also, one of the versions of the Hubsan X4 calls itself FPV but sells for $150. Is a cheap version like that not recommended?

The FPV gear shortens the flight time rather severely. And it's not a "great" FPV rig.

So.. I made something last night.

A while back, I glued a small FPV camera to a boscam 10mw transmitter. It worked. It worked great. On a single lipo.

If you want to take a look, click here: http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/03/playing-with-fpv-stuff.html

Fathers day rolls around, and I bring my FPV gear to michigan to show off to my Dad. I plug that pretty looking JST plug into my balance plug to JST adapter, and a whiff of smoke comes out. I had forgotten that my 10mw transmitter was 3.3v only, and I just fed it 12.6v off a fresh 3s. WHOOPS.

I happened to have a spare VTX on hand, and a few other bits hanging around. It's time to fix the error of my ways.

We have my camera, a JST plug, a dip switch pack, a voltage regulator, some pin headers, some veroboard, the new 50mw transmitter, and the old 10mw transmitter.

The really important part here, is that voltage regulator. I can plug this into anything up to and including a 6 cell pack now, without much worry.

That's the completed transmitter, with all the protective hot snot in place.

The antenna is just a bit of un-shielded wire. It's cut exactly the right length for 5.8ghz. I have some RPSMA jacks coming form surveilzone that should show up in a week or two. ONce those come in, I'll swap this over to circular polarization.

That said, the rig works, and has decent range. I'll get some real numbers tomorrow.

Thanks! And if there's enough demand.. I could probably clean the design up, and maybe do something silly like get a board done by oshpark or something.

If you want more detail: http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/07/building-better-fpv-video-rig.html

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Martytoof posted:

I do. Goggles aren't that comfortable, I wear glasses, and I can't fuckin land for poo poo through goggles anyway.

I do love pretending I'm a miniature person flying a tiny plane though and goggles have the edge for that. That's why I started with FPV right off but I had the sense to start with a fixed wing foam plane instead of an airborne surprise blender, though.

Nerobro posted:

Fathers day rolls around, and I bring my FPV gear to michigan to show off to my Dad. I plug that pretty looking JST plug into my balance plug to JST adapter, and a whiff of smoke comes out. I had forgotten that my 10mw transmitter was 3.3v only, and I just fed it 12.6v off a fresh 3s. WHOOPS.

I caught the stupid and did this too to the one I made. I still can't believe I did it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm in the market for a drone for aerial video recording. I need to record videos of some commercial property and post them on their website for marketing purposes, so they need to be very high quality.

I was originally leaning towards a cheap "starter" drone like the Hubsan X4, as I've never flown a drone before (or any other RC aircraft), but I spoke to a coworker who owns a Phantom 3 and he assured me that they are "impossible to crash unless you're flying stupidly." How true is that statement?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Mister Sinewave posted:

I caught the stupid and did this too to the one I made. I still can't believe I did it.

From here on, I'm including voltage regulators of some sort.. and or VERY CLEAR LABELING.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Phantom 3 is definitely want you want for a professional yet "beginner" camera platform.

Just be aware there's lots of unresolved legal issues like the fact you can't technically use them for commercial purposes. Some people get around this by calling the footage free, but charging for editing and delivery.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Nerobro posted:

From here on, I'm including voltage regulators of some sort.. and or VERY CLEAR LABELING.

I even used a connector that I use exclusively for 1s connections. I wound up wiring in a plug to hook it up direct to the power distribution pcb. For some reason.

Somehow I wound up with it in my head that I was to wire it to the copter's main battery instead of having its own little 1s (which I actually had on hand) when I mounted it to the frame after testing. Powered up and there was about 0.5s of confusion followed by an instant and shameful understanding of what I had done.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
BTW regarding that iffy motor: recalibrating ESCs made no difference. I went through the trouble of disassembling basically 60% of the frame to get at the ESC itself. No sign of loose wire or bad connection on either the motor or the ESC end. With the tricopter basically in a state of semi-disassembly and no clear lead on what's wrong (and no spare ESC or motor to test with) it went into a box to deal with "later" :(

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I was originally leaning towards a cheap "starter" drone like the Hubsan X4, as I've never flown a drone before (or any other RC aircraft), but I spoke to a coworker who owns a Phantom 3 and he assured me that they are "impossible to crash unless you're flying stupidly." How true is that statement?

Well it is pretty easy to fly stupidly.

The phantom 3 is a great machine though and as long as you take the time to learn how to operate it properly it holds fairly true. Until some sort of ghost in the machine makes it fly away and dji blames it on you :v: That said I don't think there have been many reports of phantom 3 flyaways.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I do. Goggles aren't that comfortable, I wear glasses, and I can't fuckin land for poo poo through goggles anyway.

It took me a couple tries to get used to landing via FPV, but now I find it much easier. I generally make one approach down to a height just above any obstacles, circle around, nearly cut throttle, and aim it down 5-10%. Once the ground looks really close (<1M), I pull up just enough to get it level. As it loses speed, it will gently descend the last bit.

Of course, LOS I can abuse the flight controller and do a very short, slow, yet steep descent landing, right on the verge of stalling. Handy if you only have 10 feet of runway. I brought it down 5 feet from me last time, only sliding 2 feet in the grass. Just make sure the plane is nose heavy, and stalls gracefully.

I think I prefer the FPV method since I can clearly see my distance out, altitude, rate of descent, and speed. Not fun realizing your coming in at 75km/h at the last moment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Well it is pretty easy to fly stupidly.

The phantom 3 is a great machine though and as long as you take the time to learn how to operate it properly it holds fairly true. Until some sort of ghost in the machine makes it fly away and dji blames it on you :v: That said I don't think there have been many reports of phantom 3 flyaways.

pzy posted:

Phantom 3 is definitely want you want for a professional yet "beginner" camera platform.

Just be aware there's lots of unresolved legal issues like the fact you can't technically use them for commercial purposes. Some people get around this by calling the footage free, but charging for editing and delivery.

Thanks guys. The camera store I'm going to buy from offers free 1-hour classes for basic flying and safety, and I'll practice indoor plenty of times before taking it outside.

Trying to decide between Advanced and Professional. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that one has 1080p video and the other has 4K video. I don't plan on projecting these on any large screens, so I assume I don't need 4K? Are there any other potential applications where one might need 4K video?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Thanks guys. The camera store I'm going to buy from offers free 1-hour classes for basic flying and safety, and I'll practice indoor plenty of times before taking it outside.

Trying to decide between Advanced and Professional. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that one has 1080p video and the other has 4K video. I don't plan on projecting these on any large screens, so I assume I don't need 4K? Are there any other potential applications where one might need 4K video?

Don't practice indoors. At least not with the props on.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I prefer the P3 Pro because the camera can do 1080p60, which looks fantastic with swooping aerial shots.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Triple blade props worth it? I was considering getting a set or two of either 5040 or 6030 to put on my DYS 1806-2300 motors. Fully kitted with either 1400mah+GoPro or 3000mah, I'm at 580gr AUW and I feel like I need to raise throttle quite a bit to manoeuver. And I've already a custom curve that brings hover RPMs down to 25% throttle on the RC (I need more than 40% when mapped linearly to just hover).

I am just starting out, so I have no basis for comparison :v: The tri-blades were sold as the trainer props, and carbon dual blades were part of the racer setup.

I am running into a problem though. I have calibrated the ESCs and the updated the board, everything looks like it's working. However, when I go to throttle up, the whole thing wobbles around it's center like a plate on a stick, inevitably causing one of the props to hit ground. If I jump the throttle, it just spins out. What should I be looking for as the culprit? Did the gyro not get calibrated correctly? What kind of trouble shooting should I start doing? I'm using cc3d openpilot software. This is my first real foray into RC stuff, so it might be something simple I missed.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

4k on these is for editing down to 1080p, letting you crop or zoom. I always used 2.7k on my hero 3 for this purpose

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had my maiden flight with the Fat Shark gear. Pretty hard to judge altitude at a certain point. I had several moments I was dicking around at height, when I suddenly found myself stalling, and the lack of close-by objects kept me from noticing. Due to that, it's actually "easier" to fly near ground.

Sadly I don't have any reserve props anymore, so now I'm waiting for the new batch. :(

triple blade prop are a cheap way to produce more thrust usually, at the cost of significantly increased battery draw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

triple blade prop are a cheap way to produce more thrust usually, at the cost of significantly increased battery draw

And harder to balance..

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
implying that people balance their mini quad props

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
apparently one of the first people in lexington with a 333 exemption has promptly went about reporting everyone else. unsurprisingly, their own promo footage is poo poo (but somehow they were smart enough to only include real estate footage that clearly didn't violate the distance restrictions of surrounding buildings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcuRS2UBo1w

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And harder to balance..
Speaking of which...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhYcDuMLJb0

Physics! :pseudo: :psyboom:

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

Did a bit of carpark FPV last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMbpugH8Y-s

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

apparently one of the first people in lexington with a 333 exemption has promptly went about reporting everyone else. unsurprisingly, their own promo footage is poo poo (but somehow they were smart enough to only include real estate footage that clearly didn't violate the distance restrictions of surrounding buildings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcuRS2UBo1w

Good thing the FAA has no actual way to follow up on reports like that.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Figured out what it was, apparently the board thought pitch was roll and roll was pitch. Fixed that, and it works! It just drifts forward a bit. Right into some bushes, wrecking my last set of trainer props :v: Now to actually learn how to fly it when a huge bag of props arrives tomorrow!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Had a quick blat around my local field this morning. Finally have the Z3 dialled in nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoDYiRCNUpM

Nice. Carparks look like a lot of fun.