Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is CK2 especially MP (or wifi) unfriendly? Playing against my friend via LAN I can occasionally bump it to speed 3, but 2 or 1 are far more common. Anything I can do to keep sync at higher speeds or just accept it and poo poo talk while you wait for grass to grow?

Multiplayer doesn't work very well above speed two ever. Heck, sometimes when the empires get huge and there are enough simultaneous wars, speed 1 is all you can manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ofaloaf posted:

On an unrelated note, is there any estimated time when 2.4.3 proper is coming out? Asking for a friend.
A dev said next week assuming no more major bugs are discovered.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ofaloaf posted:

tbf the Holy Roman Empire of CK2 isn't the same as the HRE of EU4. The devolution of powers to the princes was a gradual process, it wasn't like the Carolingians died and bim bam boom a millennium of ineffectual German government was born.

Yeah, IIRC the HRE under the Ottonians was in fact an extremely strong, centralised, well-organised state- in contrast to France in the same period, which was in the middle of a feudal meltdown.

Really though, elective succession should be the worst succession law, the one everyone wants to escape from, not partitive inheritance. If you're constantly having to go cap in hand to your electors to get them to recognise your heir, you should be haemorrhaging Crown Authority like a motherfucker.

Actually, that's probably the fix there. Cut opinion/diplomacy right out of the voting process; it doesn't matter how charming you are, you can't just talk someone into giving your their vote. You need to bribe them somehow; offer them land grants, money, titles, honours, law changes...

e: I mean, by the end of the Middle Ages more or less every country had gravitated to primogeniture, and the ones that didn't (Germany, Poland) ended up as failed states.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 30, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've said before the fix that best combines being easy and making sense is making Elective succession available only on No or Low Crown Authority.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ofaloaf posted:

tbf the Holy Roman Empire of CK2 isn't the same as the HRE of EU4. The devolution of powers to the princes was a gradual process, it wasn't like the Carolingians died and bim bam boom a millennium of ineffectual German government was born.

On an unrelated note, is there any estimated time when 2.4.3 proper is coming out? Asking for a friend.

Didn't the devolution of the HRE start around the 1100s though, after Henry's IV excommunication and repentance? That's not the entire length of CK2's timeframe, but it's about half.

I think a good fix for the Seduction focus (echoing that I see way too many women getting seduced in my current game) would be upon marriage, having a random event firing that gives a wife the chaste trait, increasing consequences for getting found out (if you cuckold a King and get found out that's essentially a death sentence there, higher-level rulers should get CBs against those who try to cuck them, and lowering the chance of AI choosing seduction focus, so it doesn't show up as much. In my current game as the Wendish Empire, at least six vassals have seduction as their focus and there is not a single wife in the realm who does not have lover's pox. My last king's 3 wives all got seduced by different men.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, I completely loving hate the new portrait frames, is there any way to get the old ones back?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Didn't the devolution of the HRE start around the 1100s though, after Henry's IV excommunication and repentance? That's not the entire length of CK2's timeframe, but it's about half.

I think a good fix for the Seduction focus (echoing that I see way too many women getting seduced in my current game) would be upon marriage, having a random event firing that gives a wife the chaste trait, increasing consequences for getting found out (if you cuckold a King and get found out that's essentially a death sentence there, higher-level rulers should get CBs against those who try to cuck them, and lowering the chance of AI choosing seduction focus, so it doesn't show up as much. In my current game as the Wendish Empire, at least six vassals have seduction as their focus and there is not a single wife in the realm who does not have lover's pox. My last king's 3 wives all got seduced by different men.

"Cuckable Joe Wilson" would be a good name

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I just stole 00_focuses.txt and way_of_life_decisions.txt from CK2+ and that fixed things enough for me.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

So, I completely loving hate the new portrait frames, is there any way to get the old ones back?

I don't hate them, but the only difference on frames between a count and a duke is two tiny loving blue jewels. The rest are fine, it looks weird now to me but i'll get used to it. I'm just amused that they somehow managed to do the opposite of what they intended with those two.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

I don't hate them, but the only difference on frames between a count and a duke is two tiny loving blue jewels. The rest are fine, it looks weird now to me but i'll get used to it. I'm just amused that they somehow managed to do the opposite of what they intended with those two.

There's a mod on the workshop that restores blue frames to the dukes. I agree that it's way too hard to tell the difference between count and duke portrait frames. I get that the title levels are meant to follow a sort of copper/silver/gold progression, but I think it would make more sense to just give them all distinct colours.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's a mod on the workshop that restores blue frames to the dukes. I agree that it's way too hard to tell the difference between count and duke portrait frames. I get that the title levels are meant to follow a sort of copper/silver/gold progression, but I think it would make more sense to just give them all distinct colours.

Hypothetically, a way to keep the theme would be to give Count tiers the copper frames and the Barons could get some new pewter/iron/metallic grey ones.

As an aside, has anyone modded Muslims so that they can have Agnatic Tanistry or other succession types? Alongside my Manichean minimod, I'm working on another mod that expands a lot of the available succession laws and available factions, and having more options for Muslim rulers would be neat. I just don't know if allowing more succession types other than Open will break Decadence more than it already is in the game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, IIRC the HRE under the Ottonians was in fact an extremely strong, centralised, well-organised state- in contrast to France in the same period, which was in the middle of a feudal meltdown.

Right, but only briefly, and only because they had an exceptionally powerful, controlling king. After a while, power slipped out of the emperors fingers really quickly.

Which is how it should be in game. Stable as a blob only with great effort, and without that, a disorganized, but still somewhat allied, mess of factions.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

So you could have the HRE start out the game with maximum imperial authority, but in a situation where they have so many vassals that it takes serious diplomatic or martial dominance to keep factions from slowly eroding it to EU4 HRE.

Of course, the issue ultimately is that the HRE being a big dumb blob that survives through to the end date is historically accurate, and making it too susceptible to conquest, or too much of a thunderdome, might make a historical outcome impossible.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

So you could have the HRE start out the game with maximum imperial authority, but in a situation where they have so many vassals that it takes serious diplomatic or martial dominance to keep factions from slowly eroding it to EU4 HRE.

Of course, the issue ultimately is that the HRE being a big dumb blob that survives through to the end date is historically accurate, and making it too susceptible to conquest, or too much of a thunderdome, might make a historical outcome impossible.

I don't even know what kind of mechanics there are that would model the decline of central authority without the HRE easily falling apart, and not being unfun to play as. Restricting it to low CA and elective monarchy might be the best way to do it. Making the HRE members merely allies of each other would lead to it collapsing very quickly since AI allies are often terrible.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
How about if the HRE doesn't maintain a certain authority level, it's call to arms works ala tribal instead of normal feudal levees. That way, the Emperor doesn't get to call on all his vassals all the time if he doesn't keep them happy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

How about if the HRE doesn't maintain a certain authority level, it's call to arms works ala tribal instead of normal feudal levees. That way, the Emperor doesn't get to call on all his vassals all the time if he doesn't keep them happy.

That's what I was trying to have happen, the problem is that you can't just say "OK HRE specifically has tribal vassal systems" because then there is zero reason in pre-1066 starts to ever form it, when you could just form Francia. I still think that my original "imperial authority" system is at least somewhat viable for creating a semi-generic system, because any system for fixing the HRE will need to be at least somewhat generic because otherwise smart players just won't use the HRE title.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

DStecks posted:

That's what I was trying to have happen, the problem is that you can't just say "OK HRE specifically has tribal vassal systems" because then there is zero reason in pre-1066 starts to ever form it, when you could just form Francia. I still think that my original "imperial authority" system is at least somewhat viable for creating a semi-generic system, because any system for fixing the HRE will need to be at least somewhat generic because otherwise smart players just won't use the HRE title.

They might if it also came with a bunch of interesting events? Maybe a mechanic involving the Diet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

Not to mention the insane difficulty of forming the HRE in the Charlemagne start date in the first place.

Basically, any changes to the HRE that are just outright nerfs are bad and probably not fun to play as.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Not to mention the insane difficulty of forming the HRE in the Charlemagne start date in the first place.
I did it on the first try and am not a particularly good CKII player? :confused:

Torrannor posted:

Basically, any changes to the HRE that are just outright nerfs are bad and probably not fun to play as.

Or you could accept that a reduction in the emperor`s fun might mean an increase to the fun of the princes and their neighbours, and would probably represent a net increase in fun happening. Like, I don`t see anything wrong with the emperor in CKII being like the emperor in EU4 (in the historically appropriate timeframe): you get advantages and more options, but your position is framed as being the first prince among many, rather than being the impotent ruler of everything.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Torrannor posted:

My current game had an AI Charlemagne go for the "Maximum Clusterfuck" option and formed both the HRE and Francia along with all the kingdoms in them. Every time one of his descendants die the rest of these chucklefucks keep tossing around crowns and redrawing the maps.

Of course then the son of Hunchback Pepin came back with a vengeance and claimed the HRE portion of the lands.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

I did it on the first try and am not a particularly good CKII player? :confused:

Then you were lucky with the events giving you a claim on Lombardy I guess.

quote:

Or you could accept that a reduction in the emperor`s fun might mean an increase to the fun of the princes and their neighbours, and would probably represent a net increase in fun happening. Like, I don`t see anything wrong with the emperor in CKII being like the emperor in EU4 (in the historically appropriate timeframe): you get advantages and more options, but your position is framed as being the first prince among many, rather than being the impotent ruler of everything.

I don't think that our opinions differ too much here. I just meant that all those proposed mechanics for the HRE were mostly just nerfs. Being able to call your vassals only as allies into the war, being locked in elective, being restricted to low CA, random events to lower your CA. These are just nerfs without making the HRE more interesting to play. And it's already relatively boring to play in my opinion, if you get punished for playing it compared to Francia, it would make it even less interesting to play. It's kind of fun to play as a HRE vassal, but there are much more interesting places you can play as a vassal. Pagan vassals can raid, trying to play around viceroyalties in the Byzantine Empire is tricky and thus engaging, etc. While you are just a normal Catholic duke in the HRE. Also, in the later start dates you are surrounded by Christians, which isn't exciting either.

So there must be other mechanics to make playing in the HRE worthwhile, simply nerfing it is not enough.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I never took Lombardy at all...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

I never took Lombardy at all...

If you did not conquer Italy, you either did not start in the Charlemagne start date or Paradox changed the requirements with Horse Lords. Here are the requirements to form the HRE in all non-Charlemagne start date:

quote:

requires Catholic or Fraticelli religion, German or Dutch culture, neither the HRE nor Francia exists, the ruler be adult, not a prisoner, not Incapable, 1000 Prestige, 180 Realm Size, Kingdom of Germany and one other Kingdom title, and 2 years of wealth

And here the requirements for the Charlemagne start dates (Old Gods and later):

quote:

requires Catholic or Fraticelli religion, not holding the Byzantine Empire, the ruler be adult, not a prisoner, not Incapable, 1000 Prestige, 220 Realm Size, holding the Kingdom of Italy or Empire of Italia, a Kingdom or Empire title within Francia, Germania, Britannia, or Hispania, no Christian holder of Francia, Germania, Britannia, or Hispania other than the ruler, 100 opinion with your religious head, and 2 years of wealth.

(Source: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Empires)

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

You can get the claim on Lombardy by just marrying one of Desiderius' daughters and then waiting for the divorce event to fire tho?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Torrannor posted:

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Now the Pope just called a Crusade for Kosala. In India. The pope can call crusades for countries in India? Either the table on the wiki needs updating, or these Popes are *tremendously* bad at geography.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alloran posted:

Now the Pope just called a Crusade for Kosala. In India. The pope can call crusades for countries in India? Either the table on the wiki needs updating, or these Popes are *tremendously* bad at geography.

I thought Crusade and Jihad targets were supposed to be pretty much hard-coded? Did something change?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I thought I would give the Charlemagne run a try, and just got the Windukind rebellion in Saxony, with a 12k stack (I can raise maybe half of that?). Typhus has racked my Kingdom and I just barely finished conquering Saxony. Am I supposed to lose this war? A little confused on the Charlegmagne scripted events.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I've never seen anything like that happen. Did you somehow already conquer most of the middle east?

Does the pope have lunatic? It would be a great touch if a crazy pope declared impossible crusades.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Nope. Using a mod, Shattered World, but I don't think that'll do it. This is after he'd called a Crusade for Mongolia. Jerusalem is Catholic, but the rest of the middle east is owned by the Sunni Seljuk blob. About as big as the Abbysads at their height. Germanic is off the map, Slavic is slowly losing strength. This guy in India is Jain. I'm so very confused.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I thought I would give the Charlemagne run a try, and just got the Windukind rebellion in Saxony, with a 12k stack (I can raise maybe half of that?). Typhus has racked my Kingdom and I just barely finished conquering Saxony. Am I supposed to lose this war? A little confused on the Charlegmagne scripted events.

Widukind's tribal armies are utter trash and split into three stacks of 4k. You can easily beat them up with a stack half of their size when you're defending.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Twice now I've had my emperor die while over the vassal limit, and both times my realm has stayed intact. Is my game bugging out somehow, or is there some nuance here that I'm not grasping? Holy Roman Emperor, great stats, feudal elective, only duke tier vassals below me, and destroyed all the component kingdoms, if any of that matters.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Are there any conditions under which a vassal cannot declare independence (by declaring war with the Independence CB, not from faction demands) from his liege?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderfist Island posted:

Hypothetically, a way to keep the theme would be to give Count tiers the copper frames and the Barons could get some new pewter/iron/metallic grey ones.

As an aside, has anyone modded Muslims so that they can have Agnatic Tanistry or other succession types? Alongside my Manichean minimod, I'm working on another mod that expands a lot of the available succession laws and available factions, and having more options for Muslim rulers would be neat. I just don't know if allowing more succession types other than Open will break Decadence more than it already is in the game.

Changing the succession law for Muslims shouldn't cause any issues with decadence as it doesn't factor into succession at all. Gender laws are a bit trickier since I think even if you were to make a fully Enatic Muslim dynasty, only men would count towards decadence (I suppose you could mod the decadence events and trait mechanics to apply to women too but it would be a lot of extra work compared to just changing succession laws). So long as you keep it Agnatic though you should be able to do what you want without any issues.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Twice now I've had my emperor die while over the vassal limit, and both times my realm has stayed intact. Is my game bugging out somehow, or is there some nuance here that I'm not grasping? Holy Roman Emperor, great stats, feudal elective, only duke tier vassals below me, and destroyed all the component kingdoms, if any of that matters.

You're not guaranteed to lose vassals, it's just a possibility.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cock hero flux posted:

You're not guaranteed to lose vassals, it's just a possibility.
any idea if there's anything that skews the odds in your favor? high diplo maybe?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alloran posted:

Nope. Using a mod, Shattered World, but I don't think that'll do it. This is after he'd called a Crusade for Mongolia. Jerusalem is Catholic, but the rest of the middle east is owned by the Sunni Seljuk blob. About as big as the Abbysads at their height. Germanic is off the map, Slavic is slowly losing strength. This guy in India is Jain. I'm so very confused.

I had my Fraticelli pope call a crusade for the easternmost Kingdom in India. The closest friendly realm was Jeruslaem. IDK why he didn't call a crusade for Catholic Europe or Muslim Spain.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Backseat QA: Maybe there's a tiebreak mechanic that's accidentally looking for the most distant target instead of the closest one? And it's been missed so far because it only happens with the Fraticelli pope, and not the Catholic one?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Noted a mistake with After the End, the Voodoo holy site on Guadeloupe doesn't exist, the island only has two holdings, one is a castle and one is a town, the temple that should exist there to be the holy site doesn't exist and can't exist unless someone destroys one of the other holdings somehow and builds a church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I can't create the Shia caliphate in my game for some reason. I have 1000 piety and the Sayyid trait, I have both Mecca and Medina, and there's no Shia revolt going on. What do I need to do?

• Locked thread