Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Rorus Raz posted:

His punishment is that, after his whiny rant about how people Kickstarter have no taste because his Kickstarter for a vacation failed, his colleagues continue to get projects funded :allears:

EDIT: Wait, it did get funded so I'm not sure what his whining was about.

I know his first kickstarter project got funded. It was his second that failed. This might have something to do with the first project being titled "Send Ted Rall to Afghanistan" or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The_Other posted:

I know his first kickstarter project got funded. It was his second that failed. This might have something to do with the first project being titled "Send Ted Rall to Afghanistan" or something similar.

Stretch Goal +15,000 : Ted Rall visits Afghanistan while wearing a sandwich board that says "I AM AN AMERICAN, I :heart: DRONES"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't want Ted Rall to die, but I want him to at least like receive some sort of ironic punishment for his misdeeds

Like being beaten by the LAPD but having nobody believe him and getting fired because of his history of fabrication?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

D.N. Nation posted:

Queen's News of the World

To be uselessly pedantic, it's actually from a cover of Astounding Fiction, which Queen also riffed on for the album cover.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Deep Hurting posted:

"So two key assertions were proven by the tape the police themselves provided, and nothing refutes any other assertions Ted made. Strange"

The only "strange" part is why would a skilled and funny cartoonist like Ruben Bolling be friends with a self-absorbed cretin whose influence and, indeed, very existence harms the art of cartooning every bit as much shrinking circulations and staff cutbacks at newspapers?

He's not the only one. Plenty of basically likeable people are friends with him in the IRL, like Bors, Tomorrow, Pollak and Krieder. There must be more to him than his deliberately crafted public persona, which for some reason is a massive cock.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Time for my bi-monthly post of everyone's second favorite Israeli cartoonist.

"Cannabis side effects: chill-outs, munchies, needlessly frequent visits by the grand-kids"
Probably the worst resemblance I've ever seen this guy draw. Can you even figure out who these two are supposed to be?
"Maybe he'll have time to help us now"
No more room for special commission reports on Bibi's fuckups.
"Your money or your coalition".

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.
Why do other cartoonists like Rall, again?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Radish posted:

"My War With Brian" is like something Eric Cartman would do. Some slight against Rall causes him to vastly over-react with an aggressive and over the top revenge. While he's doing this he's convinced he's the hero in this scenario and that everyone else is also totally backing him up and thinks he's cool. The fact that it's like that and he had to make everything up is even more unsettling.

Ted Rall has less self awareness than anyone else alive. One of the incidents in War with Brian is Brian tp'ed Ted's house so Ted responds by stealing and destroying Brian's car. Rall even states that he ends up growing bigger than Brian, but still beats Brian up after Brian starts trying to avoid him. Rall is completely unawareness that by the end he is the bully or even more mildly that Brian's and Rall's behavior mirrors each other and is self reinforcing. The actual denouement at the end of "I don't start fights, but I finish them because I am a badass". My Year with Brian reads like something written by a 13 year rather than a grown rear end man.

Horse poo poo. I will eat my own cock before I believe that the drill press story really happened.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I dont know posted:

Horse poo poo. I will eat my own cock before I believe that the drill press story really happened.

:toxx:?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Xander77 posted:

Probably the worst resemblance I've ever seen this guy draw. Can you even figure out who these two are supposed to be?

Angela Merkel and Alexis Tsipras?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Political Cartoons 2015: Please, Do Not Mutilate Your Genitals For The Sake Of Notorious Failure Ted Rall.

To Gado or not to Gadon't? :downsrim: Wait, gently caress, Gado hasn't posted since June 2015, is he dead or on sabbatical? He was interviewed a week ago: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3d308db8-2fe5-11e5-91ac-a5e17d9b4cff.html I didn't know he was from Tanzania.

See How Obama Is Depicted in Africa’s Political Cartoons
Local political cartoonists are setting their sights on President Obama for his two-country trip to Africa this week. Check out some of these cartoons on exhibit in Kenya

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 31, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mister Adequate posted:

Angela Merkel and Alexis Tsipras?

Merkel, that sword looks terrible. That dude's Cloud cosplay is now ruined.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Please nobody actually try to look up Brian and ask if b-list political cartoonist Ted Rall eviscerated him with a drill press.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

Please nobody actually try to look up Brian and ask if b-list political cartoonist Ted Rall eviscerated him with a drill press.

Alternately, someone look up Brian and tell him that Ted Rall was the guy who boobytrapped the drill press.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Alternately, someone look up Brian and tell him that Ted Rall was the guy who boobytrapped the drill press.

Ted Rall seems like the kind of guy who would send Brian a copy of the book, so I'm guess Brian knows already.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

-Zydeco- posted:

Whats the new background image from?

D.N. Nation posted:

Queen's News of the World
Frank Kelly Freas illustrated the cover of a 1953 issue of Astounding Science Fiction for a story called The Gulf Between.

Queen asked him to adapt it for their album.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Would it be even possible to find Brian, seeing that we don't know his real name?

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Hey, it's that thing from Family Guy that Stevie was afraid of.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I had a dream last night that I bought a Ted Rall book at the flea market, it came with a sheet of temporary tattoos

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
So wait, there's evidence that the LAPD lied to get somebody fired? And y'all are whiteknighting them because he does cartoons with drones and hitlers?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Exclamation Marx posted:

So wait, there's evidence that the LAPD lied to get somebody fired? And y'all are whiteknighting them because he does cartoons with drones and hitlers?
Yeah lol

I mean gently caress Red Tull forever, but c'mon.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Is there? Ted Rall claims their evidence proves his version of events (somehow), so there's that...

But, yes, in this case, I honestly think the LAPD is more trustworthy than Ted "A Wart Stopped Me From Graduating" Rall.

I'd love to see him try and sue the LAPD for libel/slander, though. Being fired provides proof of harm, so if he seriously believes he's telling the truth, Rall should hire a lawyer.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 31, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

I thought the narrative was that they were selling aborted babies to science labs for money to buy Lamborghinis. Now I'm confused.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Any comics wrt Jonathon Pollard coming from Kirschen recently?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Xenoveritas posted:

Is there? Ted Rall claims their evidence proves his version of events (somehow), so there's that...

But, yes, in this case, I honestly think the LAPD is more trustworthy than Ted "A Wart Stopped Me From Graduating" Rall.

I'd love to see him try and sue the LAPD for libel/slander, though. Being fired provides proof of harm, so if he seriously believes he's telling the truth, Rall should hire a lawyer.
https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/627179718241087488 :munch:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Exclamation Marx posted:

pwn posted:

Yeah lol

I mean gently caress Red Tull forever, but c'mon.

Maybe it's just me, but for me it isn't so much "go go LAPD get that Godwinning piece of poo poo" as it's Rall equating such a relatively minor thing from one rear end in a top hat cop to the history of police brutality that young black men have been facing for decades, not only in LA, but everywhere. And basically saying "yeah my brothers I feel your pain, let's raise our fists" because he's a self-absorbed, attention craving narcissist prick.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Match of the century in the making right there

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

A reminder that I'm blocked from reading Ted Rall's tweets for whatever reason, so I can't read that. :v:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Not sure what's most stupid, that he ignored a Bush or he thinks the other Bush was a success.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Xenoveritas posted:

A reminder that I'm blocked from reading Ted Rall's tweets for whatever reason, so I can't read that. :v:

He tweeted: If you're an LA lawyer ready to kick evildoer rear end, please get in touch. http://t.co/QENep5H9h3 #LATimes #LAPD #CopsLie

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for me it isn't so much "go go LAPD get that Godwinning piece of poo poo" as it's Rall equating such a relatively minor thing from one rear end in a top hat cop to the history of police brutality that young black men have been facing for decades, not only in LA, but everywhere. And basically saying "yeah my brothers I feel your pain, let's raise our fists" because he's a self-absorbed, attention craving narcissist prick.
Yeah I hadn't heard of evidence, but if there is then that wouldn't be terribly surprising.

The main thing is that Rall is taking recent news and yelling really loudly to make it about himself. The fact that he is a proven liar doesn't help his case.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hah, Ramirez is such a coward he skipped President #41-- who presided over the economic catastrophe caused by the Reagan henchmen-- that even he refuses to call it the HW Bush Recovery. I'd post the CBO numbers but he is fully aware that his bills are paid by illustrating what he knows to be false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zLt-tdf1M

Get hosed forever and ever. That this shell gets paid to pen and publish lies while people that build or maintain the country are out of work is so disappointing.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Rall, a website called aNewDomain, and an anonymous audio technician claim that they've enhanced the tape to bring out details that support Rall's claims.

http://anewdomain.net/2015/07/31/ted-rall-lapd-latimes-battle-cops-lied-new-tape-shows-listen-here-anewdomain-exclusive/

I've never heard of aNewDomain and I don't know anything about forensic audio, but in any case Rall is claiming he's going to bring it to court, so I guess we're going to see how it all shakes out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Rall is everything that's wrong with the modern US left. It's always about him, he always has to win, all dissent is seen as conspiracy, and he's incapable of introspection. Basically, he's the most important person in the country.

edit

I dont know posted:

How the hell would you do that to a drill press? That doesn't make any sense.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 1, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lol forever at the phrase "the Bush recovery"

The Bush recovery should be him slipping on a banana peel, stumbling backward a good fifty feet while trying to keep his balance, and finally pratfalling into a garbage can. As much slapstick as possible preferably.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Hitler B. Natural posted:

He's not the only one. Plenty of basically likeable people are friends with him in the IRL, like Bors, Tomorrow, Pollak and Krieder. There must be more to him than his deliberately crafted public persona, which for some reason is a massive cock.

You mean August J. Pollak? The guy whose "style" could be most succinctly and accurately characterized as "bad Garfield fan-art"? He's a terrible cartoonist, and Rall enables his stubborn refusal to put any effort into improving his work, so it makes sense they would be friends.

But didn't Rall have Krieder kicked off a panel they were on with an "it's him or me"-type ultimatum, once? Why would you remain friends with a person belligerent man-baby after something like that? The correct response is to perform mocking covers of their greatest hits, with deliberately-incorrect lyrics.

Also lol at "The BUSH RECOVERY." Wtf is he even talking about, there??

Also shouldn't this show Obama having to drag the full weight of Boehner, McConnell, and the entire Republican House and Senate clinging to his ankles, desperately digging into the dirt with their heels??

Also it should somehow show that at least part of the problem is Obama intentionally trying to follow some of W's example.

Sir Tonk posted:

Rall is everything that's wrong with the modern US left. It's always about him, he always has to win, all dissent is seen as conspiracy, and he's incapable of introspection. Basically, he's the most important person in the country.

The reason he sees Hitlers everywhere is because it's a reflection of his own inner authoritarian. It's the same reason he accused Art Spiegleman and the "establishment" of unfairly keeping him down, or whatever – because he was just assuming they would behave in exactly the same way he would (and has) were the power-dynamic reversed.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 1, 2015

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hah, Ramirez is such a coward he skipped President #41-- who presided over the economic catastrophe caused by the Reagan henchmen-- that even he refuses to call it the HW Bush Recovery. I'd post the CBO numbers but he is fully aware that his bills are paid by illustrating what he knows to be false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zLt-tdf1M

Get hosed forever and ever. That this shell gets paid to pen and publish lies while people that build or maintain the country are out of work is so disappointing.

All hail economic index

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain: The return! :britain:

Back in business, and ain't it grand! Had to move house, and then computer troubles, but that's all in the past now! Don't expect much in the way of context, it's mainly Jeremy Corbyn, Lord Sewel, Cecil the lion and the Calais contretemps. Right then, deep breath everybody...

Grauniads:

Labour fiddles while Rome burns - Chris Riddell on the party leadership contest

Martin Rowson on the unrest over the next Labour leader – Leadership frontrunner Jeremy Corbyn dismisses calls for party to suspend election owing to fears of ‘infiltration’ by the hard-left as Burnham rejects charges of sexism and Yvette Cooper hits out at ‘startlingly retro’ campaign

Ben Jennings on David Cameron's trip to south-east Asia – The prime minister begins a tour of south-east Asia on Monday, in a trade-and-diplomacy mission designed to extend Britain’s influence beyond the EU

Brian Adcock on Lord Sewel and the House of Lords – As Lord Sewel resigns from the upper house, a private humiliation raises the wider public issue of House of Lords reform

Brian Adcock on Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour leadership race – The long-serving MP has tapped into the strong public antipathy to slick, PR-trained politicians, careful with their soundbites, sticking close to the centre ground

Brian Adcock on David Cameron and the migrant crisis – Rights groups and opposition politicians have criticised the PM for labelling migrants a ‘swarm of people’

Brian Adock on David Cameron's response to the Calais migrant crisis – Extra sniffer dogs and fencing are to be sent to France as David Cameron warned that the Calais migrant crisis is likely to lengthen into a summer of discontent on both sides of the Channel

Torygraphs:

Indys:

19 After Matisse

Timeseseseses:

Daily Heils:

Mac on... Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn

Mac on... scandalous members of the House of Lords

Mac on... Lords cashing in on taxpayer-funded expenses

Mac on... The migrant chaos in Calais

Mac on... Lion-killing dentist Walter Palmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Sir Tonk posted:

How the hell would you do that to a drill press? That doesn't make any sense.

In the book, Rall sneaks into the school's shoproom and replaces the drill bit on that press with one that is crooked. Brian uses the drill press without clamping the sheet metal that he is drilling causing the metal to spin out and slice open his abdomen and he gets eviscerated. This plan hinges on 1) No one else using the drill press before Brian 2) Brian using that particular press 3) Brian not securing the sheet metal 4) Brian not examining the state of the machine prior to using it and probably a billion other little things. However, it works absolutely according to plan, because this is a fictional story and not something that ever happened.

Deep Hurting posted:

The reason he sees Hitlers everywhere is because it's a reflection of his own inner authoritarian. It's the same reason he accused Art Spiegleman and the "establishment" of unfairly keeping him down, or whatever – because he was just assuming they would behave in exactly the same way he would (and has) were the power-dynamic reversed.

I don't know if it is projection of his own authoritarian tendencies so much as his complete unwillingness to own up to his own failures and inadequacies. He refuses to recognize that his comics are not popular and successful because they are mediocre, it must be due to the influence of some outside force. It the same reason that he believes that he would be winning awards if only unfairly privileged cartoonists didn't keep winning year after year.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 1, 2015

• Locked thread