Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Huh. I'm curious what a 4th Ed V:tM might look like.

Requiem was always, "Let us apply all of our lessons from Masquerade and rebuild without those intrinsic flaws." It's kind of been allowed to spread its wings and fly, but at its core that's still sort of the idea, what if we could develop a vampire game without all of this baggage? So now that they have that, will V:tM 4th Ed embrace its original warts and just dig as far down that hole as possible, or will be develop in some different way entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

narm00 posted:

We only know about Fury because it didn't get chosen as the new game.

I guess I should have phrased that as "why isn't this that Fury concept, it was much better than any of this stuff, make a game out of it already."

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Looks like I just remembered why I stay out of the OWOD side of the OP Forums.

OP Forums posted:

I really, really hope they aren't moving toward the nWoD system, especially the 2.0 update. For all the talk of streamlining, nWoD's mechanics are a painful mess for someone who cares more about story then rules. This is why I prefer having cWoD rules separate. Some people like their WoD more like d20. I don't happen to.
:psyduck:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Huh. I'm curious what a 4th Ed V:tM might look like.

Requiem was always, "Let us apply all of our lessons from Masquerade and rebuild without those intrinsic flaws." It's kind of been allowed to spread its wings and fly, but at its core that's still sort of the idea, what if we could develop a vampire game without all of this baggage? So now that they have that, will V:tM 4th Ed embrace its original warts and just dig as far down that hole as possible, or will be develop in some different way entirely?

I think there's room for a mechanically less... old White Wolf version of Masquerade that doesn't have to blindly copy Requiem. One of the design choices made with Requiem was to narrow down the Clans and make them less important, but Masquerade-style vampire-family-feuds and grand conflicts can still be an element of a Revised Revised Masquerade, as can having a central conflict of the setting be the Sabbat/Camarilla war, and such elements. I believe a lot of the flaws Requiem fixed don't necessarily have to be fixed in the way Requiem did it. The excuse for why a Ventrue, a Gangrel, and a Nosferatu are all hanging together despite being from different Clans doesn't have to be "Clans aren't as important anymore", and fixing The Elder Problem doesn't have to be done through "there are no Elders".

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I'm not a huge fan of some of the decisions and systems made in nWoD 2.0 over nWoD, but it would be really loving great to play oWoD games with easily comprehensible dice mechanics, a crossover-compatible base system, and editors who understand that writing up the exact effects of every single dice roll and ability in a consistent "Cost/Pool/Dramatic Failure/Failure/Success/Exceptional Success"-pattern with clear headings is a good thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wouldn't really mind a return of metaplot if it was done in a consistent and intelligent way.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not a huge fan of some of the decisions and systems made in nWoD 2.0 over nWoD, but it would be really loving great to play oWoD games with easily comprehensible dice mechanics, a crossover-compatible base system, and editors who understand that writing up the exact effects of every single dice roll and ability in a consistent "Cost/Pool/Dramatic Failure/Failure/Success/Exceptional Success"-pattern with clear headings is a good thing.
Where have the mythical comprehensible-mechanic-writing, crossover-friendly writers been hiding, and will their families be in danger if they emerge for this project, of all things?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Maybe he's mad about Requiem bloodlines being prestige class-ish?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

To be fair, when I first picked up the WoD core book and V:tR, I noticed the bloodlines-as-prestige-classes thing, and also a bunch of the merits seemed lifted directly from D20 feats. That, combined with all of the games using the same streamlined and modernized system, in the zeitgeist of that time, made the NWoD feel a lot like a response to D20.

Of course the system has evolved in a very different way and isn't actually much like D20 at all, but if you picked up a WoD book and were all, "Not MY Ventrue!" and threw it down in disgust, you might still have that impression.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The system has evolved to being much more like D20. That's why it now includes power attack and combat expertise.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rand Brittain posted:

I wouldn't really mind a return of metaplot if it was done in a consistent and intelligent way.
I think the only way this could actually be done would be to release adventure paths and/or novels. Having that poo poo influence the rules within the rulebooks sucks rear end because it usually assumes I have all the books and am also using them all.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I want to ask Rich "Don't Call it a Comeback" Thomas if 4th Edition will have a crossover with Pugmire because Poodles in Trenchcoats wielding Katanas needs to be canon for the company vision's integrity.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So it turns out the Ghost Hunters supplement is actually going to be for OWOD, kind of a bummer. On the plus side, looks like Dave Brookshaw is lead dev on Deviant.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

So it turns out the Ghost Hunters supplement is actually going to be for OWOD, kind of a bummer

the sound of a balloon deflating

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like announcing a new gameline so close after Beast is a bit worrisome. Otoh, it may be a way to try and draw attention away from Beast and its rather divided opinions.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like announcing a new gameline so close after Beast is a bit worrisome. Otoh, it may be a way to try and draw attention away from Beast and its rather divided opinions.

Trying to draw attention away from Beast would be a good idea that smart people have. A disconcerting idea would be trying to bring further attention to it!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm pumped for Hunter 2, at least if Slashers aren't playable.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
what is a hunter if not the pupal state of a slasher

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

LatwPIAT posted:

You're asking a lot from a 1099 company. It's like asking an Uber driver to fix your car.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

So it turns out the Ghost Hunters supplement is actually going to be for OWOD, kind of a bummer. On the plus side, looks like Dave Brookshaw is lead dev on Deviant.

WHAT

Even a raving Masquerade fan like myself wants that as an NWOD blue or green book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

So it turns out the Ghost Hunters supplement is actually going to be for OWOD, kind of a bummer.

Well, that's terrible news. :smith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

oWoD Ghost Hunters could mean Wraith or Orpheus antagonists. Either way, I'd gladly take it as another grey book.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deviant: The Forums Superstar

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That does seem like ground that was already covered by Orpheus. Huh.

As for the return of the metaplot, yay! I like the terrible, 90s Pro Wrestling level storylines.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

As for the return of the metaplot, yay! I like the terrible, 90s Pro Wrestling level storylines.

Doesn't this mean that ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀᴏᴊᴇᴄᴛ will have more material, too?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Loomer posted:

I thought about running that game once. There'd be two rival wrestling promotions, CWD and NWD.

*New World Order thugs are beating the poo poo out of a Akashic wrestler*
COMMENTATOR: Wait a minute, this is Antonine Teardrop's theme music!
TEARDROP: When our monastery was destroyed, our Akashic brothers gave us refuge. We do not forget help, and will help them in their darkest hour!
*Kailindo leg drop unto the NWO goons*
COMMENTATOR: This just mgiht be the biggest swerve of them all!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Daeren posted:

Doesn't this mean that ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʀᴏᴊᴇᴄᴛ will have more material, too?

Yes. Yes it does. My task will be as that of sisyphus, only instead of a boulder it will be an endless pile of strangely and specifically racist roleplaying games, and it will not be a punishment for deceit, but for that most wretched of RPG sins, simulationism.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Can't we make a trade? Punt down Beast into the oWoD where it belongs and then we get the Ghost Hunter book as a general nWoD one?

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 1, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't we make a trade? Punt down Beast into the oWoD where it belongs and then we get the Ghost Hunter book as a general nWoD one?

I'm in favor of this- what should we swap Changing Breeds for?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kavak posted:

I'm in favor of this- what should we swap Changing Breeds for?

Wraith, of course.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It was possibly inevitable after they realized that Changeling, Hunter, and Mummy all pretty much needed Revised Editions rather than having nostalgia editions to port all their flaws forward untouched.

Mmm, you could probably have gotten away with a Hunter20. It was deeply flawed but enough of old Hunter worked for that. Demon on the other hand, that would basically need a whole new edition. Poor Demon: the Fallen. Nobody ever remembers you despite actually being kind of cool.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I remember Demon. Its part of what I can't stand about the OP forums - a whollllle lot of folk there hate it rather vocally because it's 'religious fundamentalism' and poo poo like that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They take issue with Demon for that but not for Vampire, which established from day one that the oWoD was built on an explicitly Biblical mythology?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah. The big issue they have is the part where every religion but Judaism is the work of one demon or other. I can see a point there, honestly, but Demon makes a pretty clear case that even Judaism and its offshoots aren't the 'true faith' but rather degenerate and warped versions, influenced by demons and other forces over the millennia. A lot of the same people are also huge fans, awkwardly, of 1st Ed VtM - they genuinely think its better than anything that came after, without realizing that 1E contains as you said the very in-setting root of the Abrahamic creation-story that Demon came with later.

Some of them have never even read Demon to boot. There's a lot of that over there, or at least in the threads I read.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man. I don't like the fact that oWoD is explicitly Biblical that way but it's been that way from the start. I mean, Cain.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Huh. Ian Watson's said Masquerade 4th is going to be post-Gehenna (or equivalent).

narm00 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 1, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

narm00 posted:

Huh. Ian Watson's said Masquerade 4th is going to be post-Gehenna (or equivalent).

I mean, it'd kind of have to be, wouldn't it? You're not gonna squeeze an edition's worth of books out of re-treading all the stuff that already happened, and a movie franchise-style reboot would just be a different game line a la Requiem.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Huh. I wonder which Gehenna. There's like seven options if you go through all the books.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

Huh. I wonder which Gehenna. There's like seven options if you go through all the books.
I hope it's the Gehenna in which the Nefandi won. :getin:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Comedy Option: The one where all the Kindred died and the PCs got turned into humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I assume if they want to sustain a whole edition and retain Masquerade's identity, it'll have to be "none of the above". A post-Antediluvian world might be kind of interesting, though they're going to have a lot of splaining to do.