Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Also, commuters will always take the shortest path to wherever they're going regardless of traffic, making traffic congestion almost completely unavoidable still.

I hope this is fixed one day, in game as well as real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Cars take the shortest path, but I believe at the same time they also prioritize higher level roads. So a freeway gets preference over a dirt road. But if it's just down the street, they are not going to take the freeway in a giant circle just to get to the next block.

Also trucks, emergency vehicles, and delivery vans. You can create congestion with all of these vehicles in the wrong place. If you have a major six lane road cutting through your city and all that traffic has to stop every time an ambulance needs to leave a hospital, then you will have traffic problems. The less traffic needs to stop the better.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Cars take the fastest path. By that, they just look at the speed limit of the roads they can take, not traffic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The big traffic mod whatever its called added in dynamic lane switching, not sure if it ever made it out of their testing phase. The last metric I saw is that the average query in that mod takes twice as long as the base game, which translates into cities half the size for your given processor before everything turns to sludge.

Traffic lining up is indicative of a true bottleneck. There's a bit of fuzz at least with highways, and cars will utilize through-lanes and won't force the matter until its literally their next stop so the solution is better general balancing of the network. You can do it through pleasant looking stuff you steal from real road systems taking advantage of the speed preference in routing like Bel Monte mentions, or just puking 2 lanes and highways/ramps everywhere because no stop lights.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
ROADS

Gotta fix up those roads at the top in the 2nd pic, my immersion :negative:

e: better, I think

Koesj fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 1, 2015

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The problem with living in a relatively big Norwegian city is that a relatively big Norwegian city is a tiny, tiny city. It's also old, and based on tunnels and weird decisions. I'm getting some inspiration watching the road during my commute, but there's not much. Take a gander:
https://www.google.com/maps/@60.3862248,5.3272851,5849m/data=!3m1!1e3

I might try to replicate the intersection in the middle of the map. It could be fun.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

based on tunnels and weird decisions

You just described the last two months of Skylines community city-building.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Black Griffon posted:

The problem with living in a relatively big Norwegian city is that a relatively big Norwegian city is a tiny, tiny city. It's also old, and based on tunnels and weird decisions. I'm getting some inspiration watching the road during my commute, but there's not much. Take a gander:

I might try to replicate the intersection in the middle of the map. It could be fun.

Completely unrelated, but congratulations on your new gay penguin family! :neckbeard:

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2015

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Thank you, they are wonderful and adorable, and they make up for our terrible mayor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv7uBM32dT4

Freudian posted:

You just described the last two months of Skylines community city-building.

You know, I'm not surprised at all.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Black Griffon posted:

I would like to know the world where this is qualified as a city.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Salt Lake City is a similar place. You can drive the through it in like 15 minutes on a freeway.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
You big city people are cute. You even have a big highway going through a town with multiple multi-story buildings and you think it's small.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

piratepilates posted:

A place where this is the capital: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.923322,10.7500233,6970m/data=!3m1!1e3

Norway is not a very densely populated place, our cities are actually quite small. I think you just need 6000 inhabitants to qualify as a city, though I'm not quite sure.

It's also a place where we sure do love our roundabouts: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.8886875,10.5220696,1032m/data=!3m1!1e3 Count the number of roundabouts in that city, compared to the size. Not a single traffic light in that city, it's the ultimate Cities Skylines city.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
If it's not Magnasanti or São Paulo, it's a failure and hardly worthy of the title city. :colbert:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

piratepilates posted:

It the cut-off is indeed 280k then there are only four cities in my country of 16 million :confused:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Koesj posted:

It the cut-off is indeed 280k then there are only four cities in my country of 16 million :confused:

Sounds about right, y'all livin' in some real sparse places.

In Southern Ontario there are 8 municipalities with more than 280k people, including one (Toronto) that's really like 4 suburb cities put together with one big downtown core.

And even then 5 of those cities are what I would consider small.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean, I'd love to get a big city going here, but our country is basically a map where someone had an epileptic seizure while using the noise tool. There's not a whole lot of real estate.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

I mean, I'd love to get a big city going here, but our country is basically a map where someone had an epileptic seizure while using the noise tool. There's not a whole lot of real estate.

Just not trying hard enough, blow up some of those mountains, move the land in to the water, boom now you have reclaimed land to fill with condos.

You're welcome.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

piratepilates posted:

Sounds about right, y'all livin' in some real sparse places.

In Southern Ontario there are 8 municipalities with more than 280k people, including one (Toronto) that's really like 4 suburb cities put together with one big downtown core.

And even then 5 of those cities are what I would consider small.

Depends where you draw the borders. I've been in places where the 'city' pop according to wiki is 500k, but its just because the city borders are gigantic and there is no downtown, or 2 story buildings.

I think southern ontario is similar, having stayed in most of the places you're talking about.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bel Monte posted:

If it's not Magnasanti or São Paulo, it's a failure and hardly worthy of the title city. :colbert:

Seriously you goony fucks who wouldn't want to live in a Judge-Dredd-esque hellscape if given a choice?!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Can my residential area, population 23,000, call itself a city? If it helps, it happens to be located within an urban area of 7.4 million people. :shobon:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Over here one of the ways a town can be a city is to have a cathedral in it, which leads to things like the City of Wells in Somerset, population 10,536. Perhaps best known as the stand-in for Sandford in Hot Fuzz.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Psh, Wells is the size of London compared to the city of St Davids in Wales! At 1,000 people that is essentially a village with a gigantic church but because that church is a cathedral (and the final resting place of the patron saint of Wales) it is a city.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have the "what is a city" discussion with my Chinese wife regularly.

She is from a "village" of 8 million people (almost twice the population of my country), i am from my countrys third biggest "city" with a population of 180k. She regularly complains that this city is so small and i keep saying that the size of a city doesn't matter. What matters is the relative size compared to the other cities in the country.
The biggest cities in a country gets all the cultural events, all the higher education schools, big shopping malls etc.
My 180k pop city has had multiple world famous artists here the last few years for example, (Metallica, Kiss, Sting) What kind of 180k pop city in China/USA/[other high population country] can claim that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

What kind of 180k pop city in China can claim that.

I don't think that they even bother to build a dedicated highway ramp for anything this size in China (or India).

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

I don't think that they even bother to build a dedicated highway ramp for anything this size in China (or India).

India is an infrastructural black hole, but China? Nuh-uh. Compare europe.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Are there any insane savant cities yet like we had with Sim City 4?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Roy posted:

Are there any insane savant cities yet like we had with Sim City 4?

I think you meant Sim City 3000

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 3, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Ineptitude posted:

She is from a "village" of 8 million people (almost twice the population of my country), i am from my countrys third biggest "city" with a population of 180k. She regularly complains that this city is so small and i keep saying that the size of a city doesn't matter. What matters is the relative size compared to the other cities in the country.
The biggest cities in a country gets all the cultural events, all the higher education schools, big shopping malls etc.
My 180k pop city has had multiple world famous artists here the last few years for example, (Metallica, Kiss, Sting) What kind of 180k pop city in China/USA/[other high population country] can claim that.

She doesn't want to argue semantics, she wants to move. Sorry man.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Black Griffon posted:

You live in a very nice looking city!

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Eskaton posted:

Cars take the fastest path. By that, they just look at the speed limit of the roads they can take, not traffic.

The evil genius behind Traffic++ has rewritten the vehicle AI to make this no longer the case. With that mod installed, vehicles will still do "fastest" by default, but when they encounter traffic they can reroute. The mod stands alone (conflicts with Traffic++) and does nothing else other than redo the vehicle AI.

I tried it out on a city of mine that had huge, huge backups. After a while, the backups cleared. There's still lots of congestion in all the same places there were before, but the lines no longer stretch a hundred blocks back, and that helped a lot.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

McGlockenshire posted:

The evil genius behind Traffic++ has rewritten the vehicle AI to make this no longer the case. With that mod installed, vehicles will still do "fastest" by default, but when they encounter traffic they can reroute. The mod stands alone (conflicts with Traffic++) and does nothing else other than redo the vehicle AI.

I tried it out on a city of mine that had huge, huge backups. After a while, the backups cleared. There's still lots of congestion in all the same places there were before, but the lines no longer stretch a hundred blocks back, and that helped a lot.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a light enough mod that it won't cause any issues should I stop using the mod in the future? The only other mod I think I had installed was the infinite natural resource mod.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It will link itself to saves that you load or create while using the mod as most do, so it likely will cause issues if you remove it and then try to load those saves. The saves possibly will still load because it's just an AI mod and doesn't add any new assets by itself, but your traffic will be wonky for a fair bit while it sorts itself out if that is the case.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 3, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Ineptitude posted:

We have a town of 7000 that yearly hosts massive concerts and a motorcycle rally that brings in hundreds of thousands of people yearly (maybe over a million this year).

It's awful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgis,_South_Dakota

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
In Massachusets, a "city" or "town" is just the type of government the municipality has. Cities have mayor/council representation, while towns have a board of selectmen.

There are city-classified municipalities with mayors and counciles (such as West Springfield) that call themselves The Town Of (city name).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mr. Despair posted:

We have a town of 7000 that yearly hosts massive concerts and a motorcycle rally that brings in hundreds of thousands of people yearly (maybe over a million this year).

Oh man, I've got a friend of a friend who's heading there with his wife, a couple of their kids, and like 14 other people. Honestly it just sounds like a recipe for a loving goat rodeo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Am I correct in assuming that this is a light enough mod that it won't cause any issues should I stop using the mod in the future? The only other mod I think I had installed was the infinite natural resource mod.

Pathing is pretty computationally intense, especially doing it for 40,000 cars. Recalculating it mid-trip for even 20% of trips just once is going to add a fair amount of overhead, I would guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Pathing is pretty computationally intense, especially doing it for 40,000 cars. Recalculating it mid-trip for even 20% of trips just once is going to add a fair amount of overhead, I would guess.

Pretty sure that the Traffic++ recalculation system roughly doubles the CPU load of any given population, people have figured out. Colossal have said they're aware of the concept but won't implement it for that reason.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 4, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Couldn't the performance hit be significantly mitigated by having a practical speed limit for each stretch of road that is calculated based on congestion on that stretch, and have the path-planner use that instead of the normal speed limit? Then the simulation would only need to do a single pass over the roads at regular intervals to update the practical speed limits, and the planner would become less likely to pick the congested paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Vehicles want to choose the correct lane as soon as possible, so by using Traffic Manager or Traffic++ you can force them to split up.

Just change the turn signs to the following:

Traffic going short distance will take right lane, medium distance will take middle lane, long distance will take left lane.

Make sure you use the "Turn Only" signs so cars will have to choose where they want to go. By default C:S lays down "Turn OR Go Straight" signs which will essentially make one lane service two destination's worth of traffic.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 4, 2015