Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm really glad the only video game I play is FIFA 10, which is not supported for multiplayer and thus there's nothing else I can do (read: purchase) to make it or myself better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I was anxiously awaiting "I have no self control" as one of the five reasons, but alas.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I play clash of clans a ton, but I've never spent a dollar on that game, and don't plan to. In my clan, the people who spend money are kind of looked down on. I had no idea some people actually paid so much. jfc.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Hell, Slow Motion had a "budget" line for Puzzles & Dragons or whatever the gently caress lovely "free" game it was. I think the really insidious part of these games is that they are specifically designed to NOT be fun, because if they were fun, you wouldn't feel compelled to pay to make them better.

How demoralizing must it be to work on games you know are only designed to suck away money and to not even provide entertainment in return?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bisty Q. posted:

How demoralizing must it be to work on games you know are only designed to suck away money and to not even provide entertainment in return?

Depends on if you're working as an employee/1099 making a few grand a month or if you came up with the game and get all the fat profits yourself.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
All that I am getting from this is that it is incredibly Good With Money to design lovely mobile games.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pig slut lisa posted:

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I can fathom why someone might spend 2x their annual income on a flashy car. I get why someone might overbuy a giant house in an excellent school district that they can't afford. I can empathize with someone who can't grasp the importance of saving for retirement and prefers to keep cash in the mattress, and then spend it all on consumer goods. But this is beyond my comprehension in a way that's frightening.

If it's some oil sheik or captain of industry or whatever and that $75k is the equivalent of you or I dropping a tenner, go nuts oil sheik or captain of industry.

If it's some regular joe, seek help buddy.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I had no idea people actually bought poo poo through those games - I've hesitated over $0.99 for the no-ads versions! 6 figures in 3 months, hoooly crap. Wowzers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bisty Q. posted:

Hell, Slow Motion had a "budget" line for Puzzles & Dragons or whatever the gently caress lovely "free" game it was. I think the really insidious part of these games is that they are specifically designed to NOT be fun, because if they were fun, you wouldn't feel compelled to pay to make them better.

I mean, PaD is pretty fun without paying anything actually, but holy poo poo the amount of money some people throw at it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

And here I am feeling like a little bit of an rear end in a top hat to spend 5 bucks every other month on plants vs zombies. I get $20 a month for frivolous bullshit.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

NancyPants posted:

And here I am feeling like a little bit of an rear end in a top hat to spend 5 bucks every other month on plants vs zombies. I get $20 a month for frivolous bullshit.

Haha yeah I play Final Fantasy Record Keeper every day and throw it $1 every now and then, just because it's the most fair mobile F2P game I've ever played and want to encourage that in my little way.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My coworker has now invested 3000 into stocks though the Robin Hood app. He made 37 dollars and promptly reinvested it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

My coworker has now invested 3000 into stocks though the Robin Hood app. He made 37 dollars and promptly reinvested it.

And that's bad with money...how?

Now if he started with $3000 and now has $37, WELL!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Krispy Kareem posted:

And that's bad with money...how?

Now if he started with $3000 and now has $37, WELL!

No, it's not bad with money... yet.

Let me contextualize this: he's an idiot. He's terrible at his job and he's only managed to get where he is through sheer luck. He had invested 1000 last week and put in 2000 more this week; he's setting himself up for losses and I'm chronicling that as it happens.

There is a chance he could be incredibly good with money though, so I'll wait until an actual bad with money occurrence for the next update.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Cloks posted:

No, it's not bad with money... yet.

Let me contextualize this: he's an idiot. He's terrible at his job and he's only managed to get where he is through sheer luck. He had invested 1000 last week and put in 2000 more this week; he's setting himself up for losses and I'm chronicling that as it happens.

There is a chance he could be incredibly good with money though, so I'll wait until an actual bad with money occurrence for the next update.

I'm on the edge of my seat

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

The Mandingo posted:

She has looked into the teacher loan forgiveness program, and she would be able to get around $10,000 of the $17,500 available if she could get into a qualifying school. Is the federal forgiveness program available with the teacher loan forgiveness program?

Teacher loan forgiveness is $5,000 or $17,500. No in betweens!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cloks posted:

he's setting himself up for losses

Ask what he's invested in.

Simply investing does not warrant posts. Investing in stupid poo poo like Radio Shack, though...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ask what he's invested in.

Simply investing does not warrant posts. Investing in stupid poo poo like Radio Shack, though...

I asked him what he's doing and it looks like he invests in the same stocks repeatedly (mostly pharma and tech), sells them when they go up a little and buys them again when they go down a little.

This can't be good with money but it is literally but low sell high.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I need to bitch about these stupid loving MLM beauty products.

The latest one is this loving Jamberry thing. It's foil wraps for your fingernails instead of polish, and of course it uses a proprietary heater and cleanser and who knows what else, cause I refuse to go to one of these loving parties on account of $90 for the kit being absolutely retarded.

If I had money to light on fire, it's possible I might consider this crap. But I don't. I have a mountain of debt and a piece of poo poo car that has to be replaced by winter.

So of course the woman in my circle who peddles all this poo poo is trying to get me to HOST one of these drat things. We're not close friends. It's not like a girlfriend asking to come over.

Besides the fact that trying to turn your social circle into a revenue stream is nasty to me, is it not rude to ask people to host these big things? Why is it suddenly ok to throw away like basic manners?

I hate Avon and Mary Kay and all this stupid poo poo. If the product were worth a poo poo, you could buy it in a store, not just from someone who had to purchase the product or buy in to start. I wish people would use their brains and do a modicum of arithmetic and not try to pressure everyone they know into making the same dumb decisions they have (I already got that poo poo out of my system, see mountain of debt).

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

NancyPants posted:

I need to bitch about these stupid loving MLM beauty products.

...I wish people would use their brains and do a modicum of arithmetic and not try to pressure everyone they know into making the same dumb decisions they have (I already got that poo poo out of my system, see mountain of debt).

I've been invited to several Jamberry parties and I don't understand why anyone with a decent 9-to-5 would pick up beauty product MLM schemes as a side gig. It seems like so much stress for so little return.

I also can't believe that these kits are $90 each. You can buy little nail wraps at Walgreens for less than $5! Maybe some people will spend that kind of money on beauty stuff, but most of my friends are 20/30-somethings paying down student loans.

I also hate those sex toy MLM parties. You could probably get better products way cheaper online.

The only MLM friend I know who I think is somewhat benefitting is some lady who sells diet supplements. She's been losing tons of weight and claims it's because of this supplement. It's MLM so she's still probably buying over-priced stock, but at least if she doesn't make any sales she just has extra inventory of a product she already seems to use anyway.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

legsarerequired posted:

I've been invited to several Jamberry parties and I don't understand why anyone with a decent 9-to-5 would pick up beauty product MLM schemes as a side gig. It seems like so much stress for so little return.
People want a business venture where they feel like they own it and can do things on their own initiative. Most jobs aren't like that. MLMs exploit this big time.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I've been invited to a couple Jamberry party things, but they were completely virtual. They were just Facebook events, and the "host" would post a pic of an outfit and say WHICH WRAP WOULD YOU PAIR WITH THIS LOOK? I bought 1 set for $15 and they told me I don't need the starter set - just a space heater or blow dryer. I still haven't tried them yet but they seem cute. My friend was only hosting a party because it helped her MLM-addict friend out (referral), and she didn't do any more after that one.

Recently I've been invited to a home wine tasting MLM party by a different friend. I've never been so happy to say "Sorry, I don't like wine."

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

NancyPants posted:

I hate Avon and Mary Kay and all this stupid poo poo. If the product were worth a poo poo, you could buy it in a store, not just from someone who had to purchase the product or buy in to start. I wish people would use their brains and do a modicum of arithmetic and not try to pressure everyone they know into making the same dumb decisions they have (I already got that poo poo out of my system, see mountain of debt).

Or they would hire real sales representatives who actually get paid a base salary.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Just in case you guys don't know, Jamberry's owners are rabidly anti abortion and women's rights.

Also they are literally no better than the Sally Hansen wraps you can get at Walgreen's.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I was talking to a coworker the other day and he mentioned that the $900/week he got paid at his first job when he was 18 (take home pay, not before taxes) was barely enough for him to live on. I was too busy going :what: at him to pry into how exactly he was pissing away ~$3600 a month as a single person in a really low cost of living area. He didn't go to college so it's not like student loans are sucking up his entire income.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My wife's cousin does the Jamberry crap, the most annoying part is that they seem to have an endless supply of terrible memes for Jamberry people to post on Facebook. She's actually toned it down recently (hopefully realizing it was a waste of money and time) but for a while it was multiple memes a day.

I knew there had to be a catch, $90 to start up could honestly be worse (I've seen MLMs be $500 to start) but it's still just a drat waste.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

My wife's cousin does the Jamberry crap, the most annoying part is that they seem to have an endless supply of terrible memes for Jamberry people to post on Facebook. She's actually toned it down recently (hopefully realizing it was a waste of money and time) but for a while it was multiple memes a day.

I knew there had to be a catch, $90 to start up could honestly be worse (I've seen MLMs be $500 to start) but it's still just a drat waste.

Check the numbers out here: http://www.dsa.org/research/industry-statistics
If 18.2 million people are doing MLMs and selling a total of $34.5 billion, the average seller is grossing a little under $2000/yr in sales. Working at McDonalds would be a better use of their time (and these are the numbers coming from industry's advocacy arm).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RheaConfused posted:

Just in case you guys don't know, Jamberry's owners are rabidly anti abortion and women's rights.

Also they are literally no better than the Sally Hansen wraps you can get at Walgreen's.

Question: where did you find this info because my group of girlfriends are hugely into this and we are all pro choice so I'd like so show them something hard hitting. I Googled it and found some of the sellers were anti choicers but nothing about the owners.

I also think the nail wraps are dumb as hell but I try not to crap on them and just politely decline the parties.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Russians have some problems with consumer debts...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33717488

quote:

According to the Russian United Credit Bureau (UCB), 40 million Russians have loans or mortgages.
By June, 12.5m of those loans had not been paid for at least a month, and in another 8m cases the arrears stretched back over three months.

quote:

Debtors cannot get much help. There are plans to amend the law on insolvency, to allow individuals to be declared bankrupt. But nothing will happen on that until October.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Tigntink posted:

Question: where did you find this info because my group of girlfriends are hugely into this and we are all pro choice so I'd like so show them something hard hitting. I Googled it and found some of the sellers were anti choicers but nothing about the owners.

I also think the nail wraps are dumb as hell but I try not to crap on them and just politely decline the parties.

Here is a link to a set they made in support of the group Abolish Human Abortion: https://mobile.twitter.com/drjanechi/status/519480445839212544

And the rest are just a couple of links to other anti-choice nail wraps. We had a long talk about it over in the goon nails thread and on the goon nails fb group. I was sure the owners were involved, but I've never used them so now I am wondering if as a rep you can design your own? I dunno. Either way they aren't worth the money...

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

pig slut lisa posted:

Is this hyperbole or are there literally people who spend $2,000+ per day on a phone game

I used to play a browser based village war game with like 2000 players tops and people would send me cackling messages after foiling an attack on a city by spending a couple hundred dollars to rebuild their village walls during five second gaps.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Bisty Q. posted:

Because simply feeding hundreds of dollars into these games isn't enough, I know some people who work on games (they don't just know how this works; they literally design this stuff) who gamble on their PAD pulls. Loser has to pay $5 (the cost of the pull) to the winner, whoever got the better monster. At least they're pretty rich so it's not some sob story, but still. I guess they just want to get high but not on their own supply.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RheaConfused posted:

Here is a link to a set they made in support of the group Abolish Human Abortion: https://mobile.twitter.com/drjanechi/status/519480445839212544

And the rest are just a couple of links to other anti-choice nail wraps. We had a long talk about it over in the goon nails thread and on the goon nails fb group. I was sure the owners were involved, but I've never used them so now I am wondering if as a rep you can design your own? I dunno. Either way they aren't worth the money...

Some folks get pretty irrational about their nail wraps. My friend is pretty upset now that I linked it. I almost should have just let her live in ignorant bliss.
I'm a huge nail polish person and have easily wasted a stupid amount of money on it but when it comes to MLMs I always stay away.

I spent a bit more time googling and it turns out jamberry as a company definitely has given about 100,000 to salvation army which isn't an awesome charity to give to due to its stance on LGBT

Regardless MLMs are a poo poo waste of money and luckily this gives me an excuse to help steer them away from dumb poo poo like this.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 31, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Powerlurker posted:

Check the numbers out here: http://www.dsa.org/research/industry-statistics
If 18.2 million people are doing MLMs and selling a total of $34.5 billion, the average seller is grossing a little under $2000/yr in sales. Working at McDonalds would be a better use of their time (and these are the numbers coming from industry's advocacy arm).

Yeah, I did the math on a vitamin one recently when an acquaintance joined it. From memory, on their SEC filings, they listed the number of "active" distributors (people who had sold stuff that month or had bought enough for themselves to not be considered "inactive"). They also listed the commissions paid out. It ended up averaging out to less than $50/person for the year. :toot:

They also had a table on their website, which showed that if you have earned ANY money selling this garbage, you are in the 89th percentile of "active" distributors. 89% of them make nothing. The next 9% make almost nothing, and the top 0.01% are making crazy amounts of money.

These companies do not attract the elite top 1% of salespeople, because most people who are talented enough to do that are smart enough to know that they could make wayyyyy more money in sales for a different kind of company.

edit: Ooops, here's the real post with real numbers.

canyoneer posted:

Yes but it's a church and this is the internet

Someone asked me to be part of their MLM scheme (which is always the reason why someone you haven't talked to in 10 years contacts you on facebook). It was for a company called Lifevantage, which sells vitamins. They even sell vitamins for your dog!

For fun, I looked at the literature. Surprisingly, they showed the % of associates that are at different tiers, but used some deceptive filtering to make it look like it was easy to be a high roller. A careful reading of their own chart shows that less than 3% of "active distributors" (who have made a sale in the last 3 months) earn more than $100/month. Should be a red flag to the careful reader.

Since they're a public company, I looked up their SEC filings compared to their literature of how much everyone makes. Last year, they paid out $104M in commissions, across 200,000 active distributors. So, yeah, sign up and you'll make a mean salary of $500/year.
Or, more likely, 300 people are splitting $80M and the other 199,700 chumps are "buying inventory", "building clientele" and splitting the other $24M.

MLM is so horrible, because the people who are genuine badasses at it and making real money could be making way more selling anything else and be more honest while they are at it.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 31, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

They also had a table on their website, which showed that if you have earned ANY money selling this garbage, you are in the 89th percentile of "active" distributors. 89% of them make nothing. The next 9% make almost nothing, and the top 0.01% are making crazy amounts of money.

I did some software contracting for a MaryKay-like company a couple years back. Unsurprisingly they are terrible customers and employ more lawyers than anything else.

But getting a peak at their subscriber data, those numbers do sound about right. A very small number of people at the top, under 100, were raking in well into the six figures per year. The vast, vast majority made nothing at all.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Reddit has a legal advice subforum, and a "best of legal advice" subforum. There are some doozies in there.

quote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3bm8fi/how_to_deal_with_rentacenter_california/
Four months ago I started a rental agreement with Rent-A-Center for a living room and dining room set. I had made all my payments on time up until a month and a half ago when I was served with a deportation notice. The past month and a half have been hell for me.. But this is not the case to be discussed here. To pay for a topnotch lawyer, I pretty much sold everything I had: my car, electronics, stocks, washer/dryer and the living room and dining room set I had gotten from RAC. YES!! I know I should not have, but to me the threat of being deported is MUCH bigger than the threat of RAC. I had to get a lawyer immediately by all means necessary.
Now fast forward to the present I am dealing with the RAC workers. After countless demand letters, harassment calls and visits at my door, now they are threatening to file charges of theft against me to get me arrested. I have already explained my situation to them, that it was not my intent to keep their things without paying for them. I told them I could not return the items because I had sold them to pay for my lawyer. I explained that I would be more than happy to pay off the remaining balance and close my account once I am able to but as of right now all my money is being thrown into my deportation case.
Of course none of this matters to them. All they want is their money. My case with deportation is going to take no less than a year to settle according to my lawyer. Meanwhile RAC says they can have me arrested for theft once they file with the DA. I'm sure that process is much faster than my deportation case.
My question is.. what can I do to protect myself against RAC? Is this really felony theft and can I go to jail? Honestly RAC is the least of my worries right now. I'm being threatened with deportation for crying out loud. The only reason I'm worried now is because they told me they were going to have me arrested, and that's the last thing I need while I've got pending court dates for my deportation case.
(Note: I am not an illegal immigrant or someone who just crossed the border, so please don't assume and start with that. Thank you.)

"I sold something that didn't belong to me, and now the owners want those items back!"

Here's another good one, a real award winning sister:

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3f3fpv/brother_hospitalized_and_potential_legal_problems/
So my brother is hospitalized after a sudden health emergency and his apartment has basically been abandoned for weeks. Unfortunately I recently learned that my boyfriend took some things from the apartment during that time. I had nothing to do with this, but in the past I may have mentioned to him what valuables my brother has, where they are located as well as details about how to gain access. No one has noticed the missing items yet -- since no one is watching or taking care of the place at all -- but I'm worried that at some point my boyfriend or even myself could become accused. I believe that the value is in the range of 2000-3000 but it could be 4000. My boyfriend sold them but hasn't told me where or for how much and he has kept the money.
Other than that, during this time I have asked a few friends and acquaintances if they would donate to help my brother, like towards his bills, while obviously he isn't working. But those actually were paid out of my brother's savings. The total of the donations I misspent is not a lot, in the high hundreds of dollars.
Between these two issues, if something goes wrong, what kind of legal trouble could I get into?

"My brother was in the hospital, so I told my meth-addled boyfriend where all the valuable stuff was in his apartment he could break in and steal it and buy drugs for us. And I received hundreds of dollars in donations to help him, but spent them on myself instead"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

Here's another good one, a real award winning sister:

"My brother was in the hospital, so I told my meth-addled boyfriend where all the valuable stuff was in his apartment he could break in and steal it and buy drugs for us. And I received hundreds of dollars in donations to help him, but spent them on myself instead"

I mean the RAC one is stupid, but I can kind of empathize there. These two are some straight up scum bags though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Knyteguy posted:

I mean the RAC one is stupid, but I can kind of empathize there. These two are some straight up scum bags though.
Meth addicts no doubt.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
With a lawyer for a husband I love both the best of legal Reddit and the regular one which is just r/legaladvice. Daily entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

They've had a number of articles about this sort of thing:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-ways-free-app-games-con-you-out-your-money/

Some developers have gone so far as to market their glorified Skinner boxes to children too young to fully understand the value of a dollar:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-ludicrously-expensive-items-in-online-gaming/

I remember something featuring a My Little Pony freemium game, but I can't seem to find the article now.

And then ther's Star Trek: Trexels, which had the audacity to charge money (only $2.99, but still...) for their greed-fest "game":

http://channelawesome.com/angry-christmas-review-2013-star-trek-trexels-ios/

Are these people competing to see how evil they can be without breaking any laws?

canyoneer posted:

"I sold something that didn't belong to me, and now the owners want those items back!"

And it apparently never occurred to him that any sort of criminal prosecution would only make it harder to persuade the government to let him stay here.

• Locked thread