Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I think the only thing that could maybe possibly work is to put the banner right over the videos.

'Course it would mean manually editing the first post of every archived thread that's hosted on a dead site and... well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

The above is a good suggestion, as with the archived OP that link is generally not in the same field of view as the links. Also possibly change it to a quick blunt message in a larger font like "Links Dead? Find them on the Internet Archive!".

Alternate solution: Not get upset by it coming up once every 10 pages.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Make it purple.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, it probably wouldn't. The only system I can think of that would eventually work would be to implement a "report" system, where you could report an LP for dead links, then, if the Archive links are available, they are manually inserted into the archived OP in lieu of the original dead links, which would then clear that problem permanently. The new problem with that is that that means more work for Baldurk, and that's not good either.

I suggest a report button that just links to a static page with nothing but that banner.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:10bux: says it still wouldnt work

Considering I have met people in real life who will ask me where something is while standing right next to it, that's a fairly good bet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just replace the current banner with "meet hot Philippine brides online"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mateo360 posted:

Considering I have met people in real life who will ask me where something is while standing right next to it, that's a fairly good bet.

I am one of those people, and it's not any easier on me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think if it was red text like the links it would blend in less, the user's eyes might find it looking for video links that way.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Ignore this I'm a dumb

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 1, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wrong thread

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Can anyone recommend a Tomb Raider 3 video lets play, preferably a completionist.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm like to offer an unconditional recomendation to smokyprogg's The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask LP.

It's seriously one of the best VLP's posted on the forum.

The central premise is that smokyprogg is attempting to beat the game in the bare minimum of 3-day cycles (So 2, the one tutorial cycle followed by the main one) and it's managed to result in something amazing.

Not only is it an impressive show of ability, the way he manages to get through the game in record time is amazing. There's clearly a lot of planning involved and it's been amazing to see some things pay off from way back on the start. But the commentary by him and his friends is amazing. It's some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while, and there's some bits of editing in the videos that's just magical.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ted_Haggard posted:

Are there any LPs done with the people who made the game commenting on it, talking about any of the behind the scenes stuff? I know the X-com: The Bureau LP had someone who worked on it doing commentary, I was wondering if there were any more.
Dave Gilbert jumped into the thread to answer questions in cmndstab's LPs of the entire Blackwell series.

http://lparchive.org/The-Blackwell-Series/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Accordion Man posted:

Dave Gilbert jumped into the thread to answer questions in cmndstab's LPs of the entire Blackwell series.

http://lparchive.org/The-Blackwell-Series/

This was a really good LP even before the creator showed up, so it's worth a read.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Ted_Haggard posted:

Are there any LPs done with the people who made the game commenting on it, talking about any of the behind the scenes stuff? I know the X-com: The Bureau LP had someone who worked on it doing commentary, I was wondering if there were any more.

The guy who made MODE popped into supergreatfriend's thread a couple times and also got probated? for a while for, if I remember right, going on and on about conspiracy theory stuff. It'll take archives, though. Also even though SGF finished up the LP on his youtube channel he stopped coming back to the thread at some point.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The guy who made MODE popped into supergreatfriend's thread a couple times and also got probated? for a while for, if I remember right, going on and on about conspiracy theory stuff. It'll take archives, though. Also even though SGF finished up the LP on his youtube channel he stopped coming back to the thread at some point.

He made a new thread and finished the game in that. Spaxter did return for the ending.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Huh, the Master List still linked to the abandoned thread. Oh well. Hooray!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Huh, the Master List still linked to the abandoned thread. Oh well. Hooray!

Master List is only good as the goons that update it. If a thread link has changed, you should fix it!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Master List is only good as the goons that update it. If a thread link has changed, you should fix it!

Oh, you're right. And when you're right you're right. And you? You're always right! I forgot it was openly maintained

--

Speaking of SGF he's started playing Enemy Zero recently. It was made by Kenji Eno, the same guy that did D and D2. It's basically Alien with amnesiac characters with a high representation of Eno's stable of digital actors. It's half 3D adventure game and half FPS against invisible aliens. It's interesting to watch! I'd hate to play it though.

The thing is that SGF is also mixing in other games by Eno as interludes to get a better perspective on the man's career. This includes a mahjong game where a street-level superhero fights middle aged perverts in underwhelming post-game sequences. Here you go. It's still in progress but it should only be an update or two from the end.

HOWEVER

If you're looking for a more straightforward run through the game that's already complete then look no further than Niggurath's archived run. It was originally part of the Bad Games thread; the placement was appropriate as the game itself is pretty short. It clocks in at four updates and less than three hours. It also really isn't a great game to play but I still think it's worth experiencing so come here if you want to bang it out all at once.

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 4, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
What's especially good about his run is that he's showing off the few cinematics I missed and the poorly voice acted audio clips of Laura going back over what you already know. Also he probably doesn't loathe the game, which is always a plus.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I have a big ol' soft spot for J-Horrorish games, but actually playing (or watching) them, with their intentionally claustrophobic 3d, makes me motion sick as hell. Any good screenshot LPs of that kind of game? Or video LPs where I can just minimize that window during Hot Corridor Action, like I did for Niggurath's runs through Nanashi No Game?

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Can anyone recommend a good video LP of a GTA-styled sandbox game? I want to do one myself and I'm curious as to how people handle editing. (I know of Chip's current Watch_Dogs LP, but looking for more examples)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Explosions posted:

I have a big ol' soft spot for J-Horrorish games, but actually playing (or watching) them, with their intentionally claustrophobic 3d, makes me motion sick as hell. Any good screenshot LPs of that kind of game? Or video LPs where I can just minimize that window during Hot Corridor Action, like I did for Niggurath's runs through Nanashi No Game?

The Dark Id did a screenshot LP of Clock Tower 3 several years ago. However it's not a great game and isn't treated with much dignity, if that means something to you. I'm pretty sure by this point the series doesn't have anything to do with the first game (i.e. Scissorman) and they're just throwing the crazy at the wall and seeing what sticks. Also, this was apparently the final project helmed by Kinji Fukasaku, director of Battle Royale, before his death. That statement can't really do anything but give you expectations that the game will either undershoot or ignore altogether but I included it anyway.

RealSovietBear posted:

Can anyone recommend a good video LP of a GTA-styled sandbox game? I want to do one myself and I'm curious as to how people handle editing. (I know of Chip's current Watch_Dogs LP, but looking for more examples)

I really like Bully: Scholarship Edition from VivaVizer. Bully has a smaller map than most sandbox games but I don't think that changes very much from the perspective of the viewer. The sandbox here is a school and the town it's in with a vaguely late 70's to early 80's setting as the teenage protagonist tries to get everyone around him to stop hassling him, man. This naturally includes taking over the school's various cliques, racing around town, and helping a drunk Santa.

Mercenaries 2 by helloitsdan and lithuaniandad has a more shallow world than Bully but also has more action and explosions than a GTA game. Peter Stormare and his friends get double crossed by a Venezuelan politician so they decide to make the entire country explode. Spoiler: they largely succeed.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Thank you! I'm sure those two will help a bunch, especially since I haven't played either game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dark Id gave Clock Tower 3 the LP it deserved.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mercs 2 is also the best LP of all time and I will send the address of whoever disagrees to Mattias Nilsson.
Anyway, if it's open-world and high effort you're after, you can always try Geop's AssCreed LPs.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Thirding the Mecrs 2 LP by dan and dad. Just flat out wonderful and ridiculous in all the right ways.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

smokyprogg posted:

Thirding the Mecrs 2 LP by dan and dad. Just flat out wonderful and ridiculous in all the right ways.

The point at which they decided to see what would happen when you fill a tugboat with explosives, then pick it up with a helicopter and then drop it on something -- That was the point I knew I was watching something special.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nah I'd say the more important point is when it actually completely worked.

Mercs 2 is a special, wonderful, terrible game :v:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also Saints Row 2 from Kaubocks and Panzer Skank.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Does anyone have a link handy to that The Bureau XCOM Declassified LP?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The thread is here.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any LPs which are as educational as Bobbin Threadbare's Lecture Series? I'm really warming up to that style of LP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Again, Geop's AssCreeds.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anilEhilated posted:

Again, Geop's AssCreeds.

Cool, thanks!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

CommissarMega posted:

Are there any LPs which are as educational as Bobbin Threadbare's Lecture Series? I'm really warming up to that style of LP.

Zorak and Red's Endless Ocean LPs (both accessible here) are super duper educational. Get your fishlearn on

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Not as Educational as the ones mentioned but I would put Research Indicates Jurassic Park: Trespasser on this list. (there is also an incomplete Crimson Skies one in the same style.)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Mercenaries 2 by helloitsdan and lithuaniandad has a more shallow world than Bully but also has more action and explosions than a GTA game. Peter Stormare and his friends get double crossed by a Venezuelan politician so they decide to make the entire country explode. Spoiler: they largely succeed.

Thank you for this recommendation, it's been a very enjoyable watch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I remember there was a thread for RPGmaker horror games circa 2013. Anyone know if that got archived on lparchive? I tried searching for it and I had no luck, but I might just be entering the wrong words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I remember there was a thread for RPGmaker horror games circa 2013. Anyone know if that got archived on lparchive? I tried searching for it and I had no luck, but I might just be entering the wrong words.

Is this the right thread? It's not in the lparchive.