Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rhyno posted:

So if I want an RS I have to wait one year and I'm forbidden from buying any other cars and/or tools plus no more toys video games.

The girlfriend has spoken.

Similar situation here. I've been told I can get the FoRS in January 2017 when my FiST is 2 years old. I hope there are some left :S

Granted, I did buy the FiST in January of this year and just bought a 2013 Miata a couple weeks ago (relegating the FiST to be the bad weather/winter/need more than 2 seats car) so she kind of has a point.

Bonus points: I don't have to get rid of the Miata when the FoRS arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GutBomb posted:

Similar situation here. I've been told I can get the FoRS in January 2017 when my FiST is 2 years old. I hope there are some left :S

Granted, I did buy the FiST in January of this year and just bought a 2013 Miata a couple weeks ago (relegating the FiST to be the bad weather/winter car) so she kind of has a point.

Bonus points: I don't have to get rid of the Miata when the FoRS arrives.

She doesn't think I need multiple fun/performance cars.

All this hinges on the price actually being $36K. If it's not she'd probably put her foot down. Maybe when I turn 40 I can find one that hasn't been horrible abused?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's also likely to be an extremely mild tune, and priced higher than what you'd normally pay.

I thought this would have been the case as well, but since I'm getting (now "maybe getting") a 2016 Fiesta St, I looked into it. Mountune offers a 230 HP/250 ft-lb crank package for about 3K, whereas Cobb (who is probably the most popular FiST tuner after the Matt F thing) offers a 210HP/270ft-lb ATW kit for around $3000.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Color me impressed, that wasn't the case with a lot of other factory-supported mods.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

Color me impressed, that wasn't the case with a lot of other factory-supported mods.

I'm look at you, Dinan.

EDIT: vvv I'm sayin' Dinan.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wasn't the performance package for the sky/solstice the same level of impressive with a not-crazy price for a really nice power bump plus factory warranty?

Trying to think who has the worst bang for buck factory performance add on, TRD probably?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bajaha posted:

Trying to think who has the worst bang for buck factory performance add on, TRD probably?

They have a $20k supercharger kit for the FR-S

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

They have a $20k supercharger kit for the FR-S

$26K, but it's not really for the FR-S. It's a loophole part developed to allow them to supercharge the FR-S for a particular racing series. You have to buy 2, first off, and it's not available from normal TRD parts dealers.

EDIT:

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 31, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend of mine on FB has a pretty good point.

"Dude, for like 5K you can drop forged internals, beefier axles and a BNR turbo on your 6 and put down just as much power as an RS."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well turns out, I have the :firstpost: 2016 Golf R in Denver. Weeeeeeee, paperwork is done, picking it up tomorrow. Have to pull the stereo out of my trade tonight.

Went from 7500 in debt on my current car, to 36000 in debt on the new car, yay, I'm poor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Congrats dude but I do not agree with getting it in any color than blue.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Congrats dude but I do not agree with getting it in any color than blue.

Blue is too Subaruish. The black is amazing looking.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

veedubfreak posted:

Well turns out, I have the :firstpost: 2016 Golf R in Denver. Weeeeeeee, paperwork is done, picking it up tomorrow. Have to pull the stereo out of my trade tonight.

Went from 7500 in debt on my current car, to 36000 in debt on the new car, yay, I'm poor.

Congrats! Did you get it with a sunroof?

PS: Screw you for having a 2016- I was too impatient and bought a 2015 ;)

So, stickshift? sunroof? Those are both supposedly available in 2016. You're gonna love it by the way, that car is amazing.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

veedubfreak posted:

Blue is too Subaruish. The black is amazing looking.

Will back this up. I was able to find a Black Golf R a couple months ago sitting in a showroom and it looks amazing.
There is a blue one I come across sometimes driving around and it looks pretty bad.

Enjoy the car veedubfreak. Worth every penny and fun as hell to drive. Everyone will want to race you at every stop light though.

Edit: Downside: Prepare to wash it every weekend :cheeky:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Defghanistan posted:

Congrats! Did you get it with a sunroof?

PS: Screw you for having a 2016- I was too impatient and bought a 2015 ;)

So, stickshift? sunroof? Those are both supposedly available in 2016. You're gonna love it by the way, that car is amazing.

Sunroof is not an option. Stick shift was the reason I waited for the 2016. The fender audio looks interesting, it has a sub the size of a donut spare where the normal spare would be because they can't put a spare in the car due to the Haldex. Ended up getting 72 months @ 2.49, 799 for gpp insurance, 330 for the first 3 services and he knocked down the 7/72 covers everything warranty down to 2300. So basically for an extra 40 a month the car will not cost me anything more than the car payment every month for the first 3 years, and then only maintenance for the next 4. 588 a month kind of sucks but then again, this car isn't going to tank in value like my 11 tdi apparently did.

Upgrades for 16 include loss of driver aid package as standard, no included service, manual transmission, electronic parking brake(15 might have had this), the armrest is still locked. Infotainment is now basically a screen for me to plug my phone into, bigger screen. And for the love of god why do they keep putting continental extremcontact tires on everything. These are like the worst tires Conti makes.

Anyhoo, back to pulling the system out of the car. Driver side speakers are done, amps and sub are done, just need to get the back seat speakers and passenger door speakers and head unit pulled. Then in the morning, I get to go put the stock tires and wheels back on. Then I get to drive as safe as humanly possible for the next week until I get my clear bra.

Addendum. 3m vs xpel.
I was quoted 970 for a full bumper and 18" hood/fender bra with 3m + tint
I was quoted 1350 for a full bumper and 18" hood/fender bra with xpel + tint

Supposedly the xpel doesn't yellow or stain and "self heals" scratches.

Also, dropping 800 on opti-coat pro.

Going full retard on this one.

e2: the opticoat is so that I don't have to wash it every weekend :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's also likely to be an extremely mild tune, and priced higher than what you'd normally pay.

Ford Racing Performance Calibration set (that's what they call it) is a tune and new spark plugs. Factory warranty:

Maximum of 90 lb-ft torque increase at 2800 (93 Octane Fuel )
Minimum 91 Octane Fuel required
$549

It's.. impressive for what it is, and the price point.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hey boys and girls. This is the part of the show where I can't find the key to remove the head unit from my car.
edit the first: 8 hours into removing the system from the tdi, releazing why they charged what they did.
Took me 12 hours, but by god I set that stupid car back to stock. I now understand why they charged what they did to install the stupid custom system.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 1, 2015

DrChu
May 14, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Ended up getting 72 months @ 2.49, 799 for gpp insurance, 330 for the first 3 services and he knocked down the 7/72 covers everything warranty down to 2300. So basically for an extra 40 a month the car will not cost me anything more than the car payment every month for the first 3 years, and then only maintenance for the next 4. 588 a month kind of sucks but then again, this car isn't going to tank in value like my 11 tdi apparently did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCT3jm1A-5U
That is what happened to you.

You're financing a refund for your deductible in case the car gets stolen (the gpp insurance)? And aren't the first three services just oil changes and maybe an air filter change? They saw you coming.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DrChu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCT3jm1A-5U
That is what happened to you.

You're financing a refund for your deductible in case the car gets stolen (the gpp insurance)? And aren't the first three services just oil changes and maybe an air filter change? They saw you coming.

yeah GAP insurance isn't always a bad idea and it's not just for being stolen, it's also if the car gets totaled, but getting it from your insurance company can cost 3 or 4 times less than the dealer. And that other crap is total bullshit. But it doesn't really matter because you'll be driving a brand new manual golf r and I'm not :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm considering selling the Saabaru and buying a Fiesta ST. What is wrong with me?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

blk posted:

I'm considering selling the Saabaru and buying a Fiesta ST. What is wrong with me?

Nothing because STs own?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

Ford quality is loving abysmal.

Ask: Me about my 2015 Focus purchase experience

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I'm stuck with a soul-destroying Fiesta SE rental while my Abarth is in the body shop and even though it's at least 20 inches longer, I couldn't fit nearly as much from the lumber yard/ikea/etc. because the rear hatch is narrower and the front seats don't fold forward.

Even with this basic engine, it would actually be an enjoyable car to drive if the brakes, steering and suspension weren't holding it back. The ST is pure magic, but what might be even more magical is how Ford managed to make such a small and light car from the same DNA handle like a boat.

The struggle is real.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

veedubfreak posted:

Sunroof is not an option. Stick shift was the reason I waited for the 2016. The fender audio looks interesting, it has a sub the size of a donut spare where the normal spare would be because they can't put a spare in the car due to the Haldex. Ended up getting 72 months @ 2.49, 799 for gpp insurance, 330 for the first 3 services and he knocked down the 7/72 covers everything warranty down to 2300. So basically for an extra 40 a month the car will not cost me anything more than the car payment every month for the first 3 years, and then only maintenance for the next 4. 588 a month kind of sucks but then again, this car isn't going to tank in value like my 11 tdi apparently did.

Upgrades for 16 include loss of driver aid package as standard, no included service, manual transmission, electronic parking brake(15 might have had this), the armrest is still locked. Infotainment is now basically a screen for me to plug my phone into, bigger screen. And for the love of god why do they keep putting continental extremcontact tires on everything. These are like the worst tires Conti makes.

Anyhoo, back to pulling the system out of the car. Driver side speakers are done, amps and sub are done, just need to get the back seat speakers and passenger door speakers and head unit pulled. Then in the morning, I get to go put the stock tires and wheels back on. Then I get to drive as safe as humanly possible for the next week until I get my clear bra.

Addendum. 3m vs xpel.

Yup the 2015 has electronic parking break. I am surprised that sunroof isnt an option on the 16, my salesman was telling everyone it was. Weird. I feel like information and availability about high spec golfs is just a black hole.

So tell me more about this paint coat you're getting- I know nothing about that. I am a few months out on my golf though so it's probably too late for me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Addendum. 3m vs xpel.

Good lord you got taken for a ride.

Also the ExtremeContacts are pretty good. The ProContacts are the OE mediocre tire.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Where did I get taken for a ride.

Service, god damned oil changes are over 100 bucks at the dealer, and at this point I don't have the giveashit to do them myself
The 30k service is brake fluid/radiator flush + filters and oil. That one alone is around 250. I'm coming out ahead on the service package.
GPP insurance covers me when some fuckface either steals it or totals it out from under me because of the price of the car, and was still cheaper to do through the dealer than through my own insurance.
Tell me again where I got taken for a ride?
As far as price goes, I got it for MSRP which there was really no way around. Other dealers out here are charging 5k OVER msrp.

Still haven't actually had much time to mess with it as I basically slept from the time I got the car home until this morning after being up over 30 hours due to it taking me around 12 hours to put the trade back together with stock stereo and wheels. Removing and reinstalling the stereo was a giant pain in the rear end.

As for the opti-coat and clear bra, I'm having those done elsewhere not at the dealership. http://opti-coat.net/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

krysmopompas posted:

I'm stuck with a soul-destroying Fiesta SE rental while my Abarth is in the body shop and even though it's at least 20 inches longer, I couldn't fit nearly as much from the lumber yard/ikea/etc. because the rear hatch is narrower and the front seats don't fold forward.

The front seats on my base model Fiesta folded forward. Check for a different handle than the one that sets the seat back angle for a full release.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

Also the ExtremeContacts are pretty good. The ProContacts are the OE mediocre tire.

I've got the ExtremeContact DW on my TDI and they're pretty drat good so far. Good ride, lots of grip, great in the rain. Definitely not the best overall performance tire, but great for DD summer duty.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Sooooo I just ditched my '13 Focus ST3 package for a '15 White S3 from the local Audi dealer.

Apparently KBB is MASSIVELY incorrect about the trade-in & MSRP values for a used '13 Focus ST. My car had relatively high miles (39k) and needed some body work (rolled a small section of the fender while coming into my garage) plus new tires, but their loving trade-in guy offered me $14k for it. KBB puts the same car at about $17.5k for trade-in.

Honestly I didn't believe him at first, but after checking some out of area dealers (and some nearby ones), it seems like you can get a screaming deal on used Focus ST's now, even relatively low mileage ones (under 20k-25k mi) are going around $19k MSRP

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

Sooooo I just ditched my '13 Focus ST3 package for a '15 White S3 from the local Audi dealer.

Apparently KBB is MASSIVELY incorrect about the trade-in & MSRP values for a used '13 Focus ST. My car had relatively high miles (39k) and needed some body work (rolled a small section of the fender while coming into my garage) plus new tires, but their loving trade-in guy offered me $14k for it. KBB puts the same car at about $17.5k for trade-in.

Honestly I didn't believe him at first, but after checking some out of area dealers (and some nearby ones), it seems like you can get a screaming deal on used Focus ST's now, even relatively low mileage ones (under 20k-25k mi) are going around $19k MSRP

KBB is very optimistic when pricing trade ins and what cars are worth

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Its because no one wants to put a used turbo charged sports car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mariooncrack posted:

KBB is very optimistic when pricing trade ins and what cars are worth

Not only that, the Audi dealer probably doesn't want anything to do with that car, so they're going to ship it to the wholesale auction vs. trying to sell it used on their lot. My last 5 cars have all been Ford's and I've gotten better trade in value trading them in at a Ford dealer than elsewhere. Hell our 2012 Explorer we traded in hit the lot as a CPO and sold in 2 days. My 2011 Fusion Sport I traded in sold quickly as well. The dealer just reconditioned them and resold them on their own lot. They didn't get sent to the auction.

I wish auction sales data was more available. I understand why it isn't, but KBB, NADA, all the trade in value guides are just wrong and set unreasonable expectations.

Anyway, how do you like the S3?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

Where did I get taken for a ride.

Service, god damned oil changes are over 100 bucks at the dealer, and at this point I don't have the giveashit to do them myself
The 30k service is brake fluid/radiator flush + filters and oil. That one alone is around 250. I'm coming out ahead on the service package.
GPP insurance covers me when some fuckface either steals it or totals it out from under me because of the price of the car, and was still cheaper to do through the dealer than through my own insurance.
Tell me again where I got taken for a ride?
As far as price goes, I got it for MSRP which there was really no way around. Other dealers out here are charging 5k OVER msrp.

Still haven't actually had much time to mess with it as I basically slept from the time I got the car home until this morning after being up over 30 hours due to it taking me around 12 hours to put the trade back together with stock stereo and wheels. Removing and reinstalling the stereo was a giant pain in the rear end.

As for the opti-coat and clear bra, I'm having those done elsewhere not at the dealership. http://opti-coat.net/

Don't you get 3 years 33,000 miles service covered as a part of buying the car? I haven't paid anything for my 13 besides swapping the tires to super sports.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Don't you get 3 years 33,000 miles service covered as a part of buying the car? I haven't paid anything for my 13 besides swapping the tires to super sports.

Not too sure about VW, but when I bought my Ford the only thing covered was the scheduled inspections at the factory specified intervals. The oil changes/labor was not covered.

Hell even my new S3 doesn't come with that included, I had to shell out about 500 to get it covered for 40k miles, but now at least I have no charge maintenance for the next 3 years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wicaeed posted:

Not too sure about VW, but when I bought my Ford the only thing covered was the scheduled inspections at the factory specified intervals. The oil changes/labor was not covered.

Hell even my new S3 doesn't come with that included, I had to shell out about 500 to get it covered for 40k miles, but now at least I have no charge maintenance for the next 3 years.

Really?
Looking it up it's changed with the new Rs at least. Only 1 year care-free, when in 2013 I got 3 years care-free maintenance. Audi would have a different deal than VW I'd imagine so I don't know about their coverage, but that you don't get the 3 years like you did before when buying an R is lovely.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Capacity question for the FoST owners again.
Full sized road bike fits in the back, right?

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
With the seats down and the front wheel off? No problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hyrax posted:

With the seats down and the front wheel off? No problem.
Thats what I figured but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

I think I'm going to switch my Mustang order to a FoST. Cheaper, actual cargo space, 4 doors... its just more practical as an only vehicle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Capacity question for the FoST owners again.
Full sized road bike fits in the back, right?

I had to move my seat up a couple inches, making for not the most comfortable driving position, but I transported 3 Ikea table-tops that were 30" x 60" without any problem and the hatch closed. Lots of extra side to side room, but 60" is about the max length (well, 60.5" in the boxes probably) front/rear you probably want to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

No, my 11 got the first 3 years service included. Seeing as this is one of the first 16s in the state, VW has completely stopped with the carefree maintenance stuff.

Car is amazingly quiet when idling. I still need to figure out how to turn off the soundakter, and take it back in to have the auto up/down enabled on the keyfob for the windows. It's really interesting how much you notice other people driving like psychopaths when you yourself aren't driving like one. Trying to keep the front bumper intact until I can get my clear bra installed. This means staying WAY back from everything. Another interesting tidbit. The speedo has a really huge 60, then tiny 70 huge 80, etc etc. I might actually have to start using the digital speedometer just to keep myself out of trouble, as it gets up to 80, reaaaaal easy, and 80 is where 60 used to be on the other car.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 3, 2015