Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Packet tracer is always your friend, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Methanar posted:

I finally got to upgrade my asa5505 from 8.2 to 8.3 ( the major nat overhaul).

It took 3 minutes. Once everything came back up I did some testing, internet worked, email worked, SAP worked, mill software worked, etc etc everything seemed fine. I asked my boss to test his VPN connection, but after showing up at noon he spent the afternoon upgrading his work tablet to windows 10 and the tablet was unusable during my testing. He says don't worry about it so we both go home.

1 hour later I get frantic emails from my boss saying the mill software went down, which is internal only and never actually touches the firewall, or even a router; he cannot VPN in to work. He has me pick him up and we both go to work.
We restart essential mill software and again it seems fine. We kind of not really guess at what the VPN issue is and say it's acceptable to be down tonight and I can try to fix tomorrow. We can VPN into the ASA, but we can't actually leave the device, furthest we can go is ping the interface of the ASA. We go home.

20 minutes later text messages come in saying the mill software is down again. The vendor for the mill software can't VPN in to take a look (lol). So I might be playing taxi again to go and undo my change for real.

If they can authenticate successfully, I'd check split-tunneling and a NoNAT statement for the RAVPN client pool.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Your one anecdote doesn't change that.

Underwriters look for consistent employment over at least the past 24 months when considering someone for a mortgage. Contractors working on fixed-length contracts are actually at an advantage here compared to people who work on contract-to-hire and then get hosed around at the eleventh hour (see Daylen Drazzi's neverending stream of fuckery, or basically anyone else who has to deal with the incompetent and abusive government contractor economy). On a fixed-length contract, you can line up your next contract before you finish the current one. You don't have the same capability to do that where a contract-to-hire arrangement falls through.

Government contracts for IT workers are typically long-term contracts (1 + 4 option years). As far as the underwriter knows, you're an IT worker for Northrup or Lockheed or whatever other soulless giant company, who's worked there for X number of years and has been continuously employed in the IT industry for Y number of years; they don't know the terms of the contract length.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is it that uncommon in the US to hire someone on a temp contract before hiring them fulltime? I don't think I know anybody in IT in the Netherlands who was straight-up hired full-time.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

rafikki posted:

Best to be explicit: the packet-tracer command is your friend. The Packet Tracer PC software probably won't be much help here even if it does emulate ASAs these days (I'm pretty sure it doesn't).

Cisco is dumb for having two completely different things share the same name.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Jeoh posted:

Is it that uncommon in the US to hire someone on a temp contract before hiring them fulltime? I don't think I know anybody in IT in the Netherlands who was straight-up hired full-time.

In the last 4 years I have placed relatively even numbers of contract to hire and direct hire, maybe 60/40 in favor of CtH. In the last year though with unemployment being so low, it's become a really tight market and hard to find available people so more companies have shifted to direct hire so I'd say it's roughly 60/40 the other way now.

More generalizations: the smaller the company it seems the more likely they are to direct hire vs CtH.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

To get off of this derail whatever happened to MJP? Wasnt he throwing out some pay me more/extra pto ultimatum since his employer had him doing helpdesk on top of his normal job?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sheep posted:

Best to be explicit: the packet-tracer command is your friend. The Packet Tracer PC software probably won't be much help here even if it does emulate ASAs these days (I'm pretty sure it doesn't).

Cisco is dumb for having two completely different things share the same name.
Good call, yes. It definitely confused me when I first started working on ASAs and had only heard of Packet Tracer the software.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jeoh posted:

EU worker protections are quite extensive compared to what's in the States, so that's expected.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
O'Reilly is running a sale for SysAdmin Appreciation Day -- 50% off a big selection of sysadmin books and video training using promo code DEAL.

List of titles: http://shop.oreilly.com/category/br...y_20150731_deal

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I ended up just reverting the change early this morning which ended up fixing everything.

Having some free time now I read over the changes of <8.2 no nat statements to >8.3 static identity nat.

Looking over the new syntax and the old syntax with cisco's cheat sheet of equivalencies, the automatic config changes look proper. So I have no idea why my VPN connections are being prevented from leaving the ASA. Cisco has been ignoring me all morning.

quote:

Important Notes
• (For upgrading from Version 8.2 and earlier to Version 8.3(2) and later) NAT exemption (the nat 0 access-list command) is migrated to a twice NAT rule with the unidirectional keyword. The unidirectional keyword only allows traffic on the source network to initiate connections. This migration change was made to fix CSCtf89372. Upgrading to Version 8.3(1) does not add the unidirectional keyword.

Note Because NAT exemption is normally bidirectional, you might need to remove the unidirectional keyword to restore the original function. Specifically, this change adversely affects many VPN configurations that include NAT exemption rules (see CSCti36048 for this new issue). To avoid manual intervention, we recommend upgrading to 8.3(1) first, and then upgrade to a later release.

Of course as soon as I post I find this

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 31, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Today's parade of technology was a letdown.

First there was this old beater.

Then another worn-out German showed up on a flatbed. Probably a VW that doesn't even run.

And as if it couldn't get any duller this Italian heap arrived. From the body lines you can probably guess that it's a Fiat or something.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Well, I think our quota for evol labor posts has been filled for the remainder of the year. So, on the bright side, there's that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

Well, I think our quota for evol labor posts has been filled for the remainder of the year. So, on the bright side, there's that.

Just because we've reached the escapement goal doesn't mean they'll stop coming.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GOOCHY posted:

The goalposts move with every "inane groupthink statement that gives people bad career advice on the basis of glittering generalizations", basically. It's swimming against a river of poo poo, but I think it's hilarious that everyone thinks any actual discussion about working in IT is a derail from "general IT bitching thread #256"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

rafikki posted:

Packet tracer added a sniffer. It is really easy to use and you can see exactly what is happening to illustrate concepts like tcp handshakes. If you haven't used the new version I would recommend it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

evol262 posted:

The goalposts move with every "inane groupthink statement that gives people bad career advice on the basis of glittering generalizations", basically. It's swimming against a river of poo poo, but I think it's hilarious that everyone thinks any actual discussion about working in IT is a derail from "general IT bitching thread #256"

It's not because I think you're wrong. My experience in contracting actually lines up exactly with what you're saying. I make very good money contracting for a DoD agency with good benefits, vacation, etc. and I have none of the instability that is sometimes reported by a few loud contractors on this forum. I'm W2, get three weeks of vacation, all the Federal holidays, a great 401K match - all that stuff. It's exactly what you're saying.

I think in general it's the way you present your posts is what is a little off-putting. Your posts remind me of another "linux guy" I used to work with at an ISP. The condescension leaks through your keyboard and into the SA IT bitching thread.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GOOCHY posted:

Your posts remind me of another "linux guy" I used to work with at an ISP. The condescension leaks through your keyboard and into the SA IT bitching thread.
The difficulty is that I'm not actually a "linux guy". Also, that this isn't an IT bitching thread as much as the other two, but nobody on the forums thinks it's acceptable to have a career conversation in any of them.

The condescension is purely the way I write, and you'd find me a perfectly normal, likable (gregarious, even) dude in real life. But I don't care whether people on an internet comedy forum think I'm condescending. I care that the narrative is one that's useful to people, and "you're a dick, but everything you said lines up with what I know about it" is better than the alternatives when people who have 2 years in helpdesk or field support who may be reading the thread wonder "is contracting (or whatever else I argue about) a huge mistake?"

E:

I guess the gist is "argue with ideas, not people". Some people have a problem separating the two.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 1, 2015

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I finally made my first useful powershell script! I'm making a new image for a lab and each PC has a matching domain account it must automatically log in with, so I made a script that automatically finds the proper account, checks to see if the necessary values exist in the registry, then makes or modifies those values so that account automatically logs in. Nothing crazy but I'm happy with it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Hungry Computer posted:

I finally made my first useful powershell script! I'm making a new image for a lab and each PC has a matching domain account it must automatically log in with, so I made a script that automatically finds the proper account, checks to see if the necessary values exist in the registry, then makes or modifies those values so that account automatically logs in. Nothing crazy but I'm happy with it.

I seriously love PowerShell. I've made an effort to try and do everything with it I can to keep learning more. I am now comfortable enough with O365/Exchange to write queries without looking much up anymore. For example, today someone asked who currently was under a legal hold. I whipped up:

code:
get-mailbox | where {$_.LitigationHoldEnabled -eq "TRUE"} | Select DisplayName,UserPrincipalName
after looking for the attribute on a mailbox I knew had a hold. Since we are doing holds by date/request, this is the easiest way to see all accounts at once.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

Hey cool, I did the same thing a couple weeks back. Just FYI, I found a post on TechNet about how doing autologon via the registry results in a a plaintext password, if an enterprising user decides to look. If you use the AutoLogon.exe that Microsoft provides, it basically does the same thing but hashes the password.

In other news, my week long Hyper-V training is getting cancelled because they couldn't find 4 guys in the state of Arkansas to go. There's a powershell class third week of August, but it's unlikely I'll get to go because that's crunch time for academia IT.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evol262 posted:

working in IT is a derail from "general IT bitching thread #256"

Um, do you mean 255? Anyone would think you didn't work in IT.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Potato Alley posted:

Um, do you mean 255? Anyone would think you didn't work in IT.

Buffer overflow :smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, you see, but Linux goes to 256.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We really need a small software questions thread, but we don't have one so I'm asking here. I'm trying to clear some space on my secondary hard drive. I've still got the windows install from when I was using it as a primary previously (old motherboard). I changed ownership to me, but I still get an error saying I need permission from my own account to delete some of the files. What's going on, and how can I get around this?

I wish Windows had a sudo.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We really need a small software questions thread, but we don't have one so I'm asking here. I'm trying to clear some space on my secondary hard drive. I've still got the windows install from when I was using it as a primary previously (old motherboard). I changed ownership to me, but I still get an error saying I need permission from my own account to delete some of the files. What's going on, and how can I get around this?

I wish Windows had a sudo.

There's a pretty famous registry hack that adds a take ownership shortcut to the context menu in Explorer: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Otherwise check out your advanced NTFS permissions, every permission is enumerated there

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I took ownership already. The error message I get is "You need permission from Name-Desktop\Name to make changes to this folder." Name-Desktop\Name is the one I'm usingAnd I gave my account full NTFS permissions. It's still not working. My thought is I might have used an identical computer name and user name on the last installation. Would it be giving it permission to the old account?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I did this two days ago and once I went in and took ownership of everything via advanced security it went off without a hitch. Once the GUID of the owner is changed the old one doesn't matter.

Edit: make sure the files in question don't have any special flags set, I've seen wonky behavior with stuff that is encrypted/read-only/etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 1, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Received word yesterday that a one year extension on our contract has been signed, so I've got until August 3, 2016 to find another job, although there's the likelihood for another extension after this one. At the very least it gives me time to knock out my Storage+ cert and possibly even the MCSA 2012, although since I'm a virtualization admin I'm seriously considering another VMware cert.

Since my employment picture is now clear I've gone ahead and revised my budget so that in 9 months I'll be 100% debt free. Yay! Sort of evens out breaking a tooth and needing a crown earlier this week.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I was hired CtH and they were pretty up front about it being a try before you buy type deal. Not for me, but for everyone they hire as they had a bad experience with a previous hire and trying to part ways with him. It's not the best reason, but they were up front about it in the hiring. Made it clear that there is an actual position that they're trying to fill already (so it's not something where they'll have to try to get a position created to hire me full time). I started June 29 with a 3 month contract, my boss told me yesterday they're ready to start the hiring process already.

It's a somewhat unique situation though, as my buddy got me the job, my direct boss was on board with hiring me once he got the recommendation. It's only our boss above him that wants to do this whole contractor thing anyway. I was pretty trusting though since my friend has been there a long time already. I'd probably have been more skeptical at least had he not. I guess they really hated this guy they hired who wasn't a fit.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

evol262 posted:

The difficulty is that I'm not actually a "linux guy". Also, that this isn't an IT bitching thread as much as the other two, but nobody on the forums thinks it's acceptable to have a career conversation in any of them.

The condescension is purely the way I write, and you'd find me a perfectly normal, likable (gregarious, even) dude in real life. But I don't care whether people on an internet comedy forum think I'm condescending. I care that the narrative is one that's useful to people, and "you're a dick, but everything you said lines up with what I know about it" is better than the alternatives when people who have 2 years in helpdesk or field support who may be reading the thread wonder "is contracting (or whatever else I argue about) a huge mistake?"

E:

I guess the gist is "argue with ideas, not people". Some people have a problem separating the two.

That there is the issue, for me at least. You want to have a conversation, but you don't care how your tone comes across, and then further lay that at the fault that this is an "internet comedy forum". Take a bit more concern in how you come across and perhaps the conversation can flow better, and get over the cliche of "I can be a dick because it's on the internet".

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If I was unemployed, i would take a CtH. CtH would never lure me from an existing job, unless it paid at least 50% more.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Well, after I got my CCNA, job offers started coming in from recruiters!

I now work for Windstream, and it's overwhelmingly better than my previous job (pay included!). Do you guys think a CCNP would be better for NOC work, or should I start branching out to stuff like ccna voice/security?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

A CCNP is rather overqualified to work in a NOC, imo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Koskun posted:

That there is the issue, for me at least. You want to have a conversation
Who said that I'm interested in having a conversation?

Koskun posted:

but you don't care how your tone comes across, and then further lay that at the fault that this is an "internet comedy forum". Take a bit more concern in how you come across and perhaps the conversation can flow better, and get over the cliche of "I can be a dick because it's on the internet".
I honestly don't care whether the "conversation flows better", and that's not because of any internet behavior cliches. You can think I'm a dick. But I'm not intentionally being one because it's the internet. I'd talk to you like this in person if you want to have a debate/discussion about the benefits and detriments of contract vs fte or whatever. It's not a conversation. This is how I communicate, and somethingawful(dot)com's forums are full of precious snowflakes who see any disagreement with their off-the-cuff comments as condescending personal attacks, and I'm not going to modulate the tone of my responses for that. It's better to simply be blunt.

I also don't care how I come across, and I'm not interested in discussing whether you think that's because of internet anonymity (it isn't) or being a dick (it isn't) or condescending (it isn't) or whatever. I said that this is an internet comedy forum because it's a trope on this internet comedy forum, not because it changes anything.

Can this be the end of the derail about evol262? evol262 doesn't care what you think about the tenor of his posts. evol262 is going to keep replying to labor posts with the same tone (which is the same tone I use everywhere else).

rafikki posted:

Very overqualified.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

rafikki posted:

Oh I know, I meant for going forward in the company and getting promoted. I've already got the job, they just encourage employees to get certs and offer reimbursement and whatnot.

That, and I really love networking and always want to be improving myself, so I'm trying to see where to go next.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A tech guy that doesn't care how he comes across, shocking

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rafikki posted:

Whoops. Read that as CCNA for some reason. I agree, CCNP is way overkill for a NOC.

But by all means study for one if you plan to advance.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Koskun posted:

That there is the issue, for me at least. You want to have a conversation, but you don't care how your tone comes across, and then further lay that at the fault that this is an "internet comedy forum". Take a bit more concern in how you come across and perhaps the conversation can flow better, and get over the cliche of "I can be a dick because it's on the internet".

give it a rest he doesn't get human interaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go3 posted:

give it a rest

This.

People complaining about the way evol posts are more annoying than the way evol posts.