Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

EoRaptor posted:

Installing and activating windows 7 (or 8), updating that copy of windows 7 until it has KB303583 installed*, then performing the upgrade again (just start the installer from within windows) will submit the new hardware signature to MS, and allow windows 10 to activate on it in future.

* You may be able to skip this, but I've never tried to upgrade windows without having 3035583 installed. I don't know if the hardware id is pre-computed by 3035583 or computed during the upgrade process.

I upgraded from a fresh windows 8 install that had zero updates installed.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Well done.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Medium rare. Oh I thought we were ordering steaks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Volguus posted:

Even after the 1 year free window?

Thanks for all the answers, sorry for all these questions.

No one has any idea. Especially because it hasn't been a year yet and Microsoft's activation system doesn't give us a way to test your theory.

This is why (addressing earlier posts) talk like "Windows 10 will still be treated like retail" is premature, especially when clearly it's being treated like OEM/single-system.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElrondHubbard posted:

What are your sleep settings and power settings related to sleep?

I've heard a similar issue was due to some drivers being missing and thus the sleep function not working (if I recall, sleep wasn't an available option in the power menu), though I don't feel like digging through however many pages it'd take to see what the solution to that was.
Mine's going to sleep after ~10 minutes even though it's set not to...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

Even after the 1 year free window?

Thanks for all the answers, sorry for all these questions.

Officially, no. In practical terms, MS will probably extend the timeline depending on how far Windows 10 has penetrated the market. It's not possible to say for sure.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Skywalker OG posted:

I just got the windows 10 upgrade prompt on my Lenovo x230 laptop and when I tried to run it it said "Windows couldn't update the system reserved partition." What's this about?

You need to increase the size of your boot partition to ~400MB. I used Partition Wizard.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've done in-place upgrades over Win 7 on four machines now with no problems noted so far. Quite a variety of hardware too:
- Main desktop machine, i5-2320 with a Radeon HD7750
-The little Gateway shitbox that runs my CNC machine, AMD APU-based
-A Dell 1012 netbook (upgraded to 2GB RAM)
-A Vista-era Inspiron 1525 laptop, circa 2008. Works great.

I also have a new Dell box w/Win 10 Home on the way to replace that Gateway. Got a really good sale price + some extra discounts on a little i3-4170 rig (that's probably still ten times the horsepower I need to run the CNC,) but that loving AMD APU is the most worthless piece of hardware ever invented. I'd be embarrassed to even admit owning it if it hadn't been given to me for free...no, I take that back. I'm still a little embarrassed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a small thing, but can you still not change Windows' system language on the fly? In two thousand freaking 15?

edit: also, can I no longer take the recycle bin off the desktop?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 1, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

I tried that. Strangely, it works for a little while, in which I can even run 3DMark's DX12 API test, then after a while I am back to DirectX 11.3, without even rebooting.

-edit-

I FOUND THE CULPRIT

If you enable MFAA in the NVIDIA 3D control panel, it will disable DirectX12. I can reproduce it. Can someone check if its universal?

Same on mine enabled it and it went to 11.3 disabled it and back to 12.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a small thing, but can you still not change Windows' system language on the fly? In two thousand freaking 15?

edit: also, can I no longer take the recycle bin off the desktop?

Wow, I didn't realize they hid desktop icon settings. That's ridiculous.

Settings > Personalize > Theme > Desktop Icon Settings

Samurai Sanders posted:

Mine's going to sleep after ~10 minutes even though it's set not to...

Checking the power settings is the only trick I've got for that problem and it sounds like you've probably checked those already.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lowtechs posted:

Same on mine enabled it and it went to 11.3 disabled it and back to 12.

Thanks for checking. Its confirmed then. MFAA is too good to sacrifice, since there are no DX12 games out anyways. I hope they fix this in time, posted it on the NVIDIA forums.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
What is the point of having Settings and also Control Panel?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MY ABACUS! posted:

What is the point of having Settings and also Control Panel?

It's for backwards compatibility, enough apps and drivers still only expose their settings via control panel that they decided it has to stay for now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly, I appreciate how difficult it is for MS to make an OS to work on a possible mix of new and ancient hardware and software. They only just finally got rid of the floppy disk drivers, right? Who knows what other ancient technology support is still in there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems that with elements scaled, things that have their own snapping, like Trillian's contact list, don't quite reserve the right amount of space. I have mine snapped to the right, and maximizing some other window overlaps by about 20 pixels on 1920x1080 x 125%.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly, I appreciate how difficult it is for MS to make an OS to work on a possible mix of new and ancient hardware and software. They only just finally got rid of the floppy disk drivers, right? Who knows what other ancient technology support is still in there.

They didn't get rid of floppy disk drivers.

(the disk is disk 7 of the Windows 3.11 install set)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nintendo Kid posted:

They didn't get rid of floppy disk drivers.

I believe they got rid of the drivers for the floppy disk interface (as in internal floppy drives attached with a ribbon cable to the connector that probably hasn't existed on any motherboards you've bought in the last decade), but USB Mass Storage floppy drives should always work unless someone got a stick up their rear end and decided to go out of their way to break it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

repiv posted:

It's for backwards compatibility, enough apps and drivers still only expose their settings via control panel that they decided it has to stay for now.

I get that.

What I don't get is what the point of the settings app is - just seems like a far less convenient alternative than just sticking with control panel.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

I get that.

What I don't get is what the point of the settings app is - just seems like a far less convenient alternative than just sticking with control panel.

The intent seems to be to centralize all controls in to an interface that appears consistent, similar to Mac OS X's "System Preferences" or the various mobile platforms' "Settings" apps. They kind of half-assed it with some of the controls in Vista/7 by making them in to active folders of sorts, but no third parties seemed to really adopt the idea. Presumably this will over time become mandatory for Windows Logo certification or something like that.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 1, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

I believe they got rid of the drivers for the floppy disk interface (as in internal floppy drives attached with a ribbon cable to the connector that probably hasn't existed on any motherboards you've bought in the last decade), but USB Mass Storage floppy drives should always work unless someone got a stick up their rear end and decided to go out of their way to break it.

I would doubt it, honestly. It doesn't make sense to drop something that's that simple, and often baked into other things. It was present in 8.1, after all, and dropping support for it couldn't do anything other than save a few kilobytes on the install media.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would doubt it, honestly. It doesn't make sense to drop something that's that simple, and often baked into other things. It was present in 8.1, after all, and dropping support for it couldn't do anything other than save a few kilobytes on the install media.

As far as I can find if you have a machine with an actual proper floppy disk controller and install Windows 10 on it you'll see an unknown device with the ID "ACPI\VEN_PNP&DEV_0700". I got rid of most of my pre-DDR3 hardware recently so I don't have anything to try it with myself, but it apparently acts the same in a VM so I'll give that a shot after I'm done reinstalling my desktop.

edit: According to this guy the driver from Windows 8 does work in Windows 10, so if any of you actually care about floppy drives you're not totally out of luck.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 1, 2015

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My upgrade froze at 92%, during configuring settings. Left it for an hour but no progress. At least it got back to Win 7.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Upgrade from 8.1 went pretty smoothly after I triggered it for myself.

The font rendering seems a bit messed up in places, particularly Roboto on these forums in Firefox. I've run through the Cleartype tuner a couple of times and it doesn't seem to have fixed it. Whether there's something else to be tweaked within Firefox, I'll have to poke around with that later.

Everything else seems pretty good, aside from the ads in the freemium apps. (Already downloaded a free calculator because of that poo poo.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, you can change display languages without a reinstall after all (after downloading the language pack anyway), it just wasn't obvious how. That's been the feeling I've been getting about a few things I've run into so far.

edit: weird, even after setting it to English, Cortana won't work because I'm in Japan.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 1, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, you can change display languages without a reinstall after all (after downloading the language pack anyway), it just wasn't obvious how.

Most settings show up if you search for them like literally if you type in "change language" "Region and language settings" show up.

If you google it, it's the first search result.

If you say "Hey Cortana, change the language" she starts up "Region and language settings".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sorry to just jump in when I'm sure this has been answered;

I've been reading that you need to 'upgrade' first, before doing anything else. Otherwise MS won't have your hardware registered for Win10

But if I do the upgrade (from 8.1 to 10) in preparation for a fresh install, the hardware registration won't matter anyways, as I am building a new PC specifically to install Win10 on

Or is the answer build new PC, install Windows 8.1... upgrade... and then clean install?

Cause if it is holy hell that's a little round-about!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Sorry to just jump in when I'm sure this has been answered;

I've been reading that you need to 'upgrade' first, before doing anything else. Otherwise MS won't have your hardware registered for Win10

But if I do the upgrade (from 8.1 to 10) in preparation for a fresh install, the hardware registration won't matter anyways, as I am building a new PC specifically to install Win10 on

Or is the answer build new PC, install Windows 8.1... upgrade... and then clean install?

Cause if it is holy hell that's a little round-about!

Yes, you need to migrate your retail windows 7 or 8 license to the new machine by activating it on the new system and deactivating on the old, then upgrade it to Windows 10 to convert that to a device specific license, sending the hardware id to Microsoft in the process.

You can try the reset windows option at that time, which should give you the same effect as a clean install (don't forget to run disk cleanup and remove the old windows version first), or just format and clean install.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

Yes, you need to migrate your retail windows 7 or 8 license to the new machine by activating it on the new system and deactivating on the old, then upgrade it to Windows 10 to convert that to a device specific license, sending the hardware id to Microsoft in the process.

You can try the reset windows option at that time, which should give you the same effect as a clean install (don't forget to run disk cleanup and remove the old windows version first), or just format and clean install.

Cheers

So an hour(ish) long process just turned into a whole afternoon

:laugh:

Who am I kidding, when has a new windows release ever installed cleanly in under an hour

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sappo569 posted:

Cheers

So an hour(ish) long process just turned into a whole afternoon

:laugh:

Who am I kidding, when has a new windows release ever installed cleanly in under an hour

Mine did last night

I must admit to being surprised, though.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

grack posted:

Mine did last night

I must admit to being surprised, though.

You're right, even having to do all this back and forth.. with the advent of SSD's and loading off USB 3.0 sticks, it's more than possible

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I like how they managed to update the icon for a floppy drive to their new design language, but not for CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are drive letters A and B still reserved for floppy disks forever?

edit:

Rurutia posted:

Most settings show up if you search for them like literally if you type in "change language" "Region and language settings" show up.

If you google it, it's the first search result.

If you say "Hey Cortana, change the language" she starts up "Region and language settings".
I was expecting to see a clear "change system language" option in the region settings, but instead it just reported what the system language was. Also, Cortana doesn't work in Japan because literally .

I know you can Google how to do it but I'm interested in how intuitive the menus themselves are.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's weird that you can download maps for every region except Japan.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BattleCattle posted:

It's weird that you can download maps for every region except Japan.
Yeah, that too.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The first thing I'm super impressed with with Win10: My computer (self built, not store bought) slept all night without waking up!

That's got to be a first for me.

There's still a couple of settings I'm looking for, like how to change title bars from white to match the system theme instead but for the most part I'm pretty happy with things, love the upgraded Task Manager (not sure how much of it was from Win 8/8.1 as I only used that briefly).

A bit confused on why I can't remove all these Camera and Groove apps on a Pro desktop install but I guess that's part of their unified touch/tablet approach I'm just going to have to live with.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

VodeAndreas posted:

like how to change title bars from white to match the system theme instead

I never noticed it before, but now I can't stop noticing it. It's really bothering me.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are drive letters A and B still reserved for floppy disks forever?

edit:

I was expecting to see a clear "change system language" option in the region settings, but instead it just reported what the system language was. Also, Cortana doesn't work in Japan because literally .

I know you can Google how to do it but I'm interested in how intuitive the menus themselves are.

I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing, maybe your deployment sucks. But this is what I see and I don't find it unintuitive at all.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The reason I was plagued with keyboard and mouse issues on clean installs is one non win 10 compliant USB driver. It irks me to see it broken, but it effectively still works.

I'm not going to hold my breath that ASUS will fix it, (but maybe) ..my last bios update is 2012. I don't even think it supports win 8!

ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION<REV 3.0>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Is the Snipping Tool not a part of Windows 10? I can't get mine to pull up. I'm not affected by the Start Menu bug, and the program isn't where it should be in the Windows folder.

• Locked thread