Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jazerus posted:

Taking captives in war as slaves was already an established practice, but more like Roman or Ottoman slavery than chattel slavery. The good that really escalated things was not tobacco but guns; good old "arm one side, profit" imperialism. This established a vicious cycle of trading slaves for guns (and other stuff, yes) so that you could dominate your neighbors to sell them for more stuff.

Sounds like the George Carlin bit. "You've gotta get stuff from the Europeans, then get more stuff to guard your stuff from your neighbors, then go capture your neighbors with your stuff so you can trade with the Europeans to get more stuff!"

My Face When posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbc-cancels-the-cycle/

So, even though this isn't Right Wing, it's still media.

MSNBC is apparently cutting The Cycle, Now with Alex Wagner, and The Ed Show.

Brian Williams is in and Chuck Todd will be returning (taking Ed's spot) as well as Wagner.

Krystal Ball, Abby Huntsman and Toure are leaving MSNBC. Ari Melber is staying. Ed Schultz is leaving but says he's going to be covering the election in a 'very big way'.

Personally, I never really liked these shows except Alex Wagner. Ed is going to be Ed.

It's been less than a year since they cancelled Ronan Farrow's show and Reid Report as well.

Just as long as they don't touch Rachel Maddow.

Obdicut posted:

Why do you think there's a relationship between Christianity and ending slavery? The British were fully Christianized by 1086 and had a 10% slave population.

There was a couple hundreds years lag between scandinavia being christianized and the end of slavery there.

Pretty sure they were joking. At least, I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

My Face When posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbc-cancels-the-cycle/

So, even though this isn't Right Wing, it's still media.

MSNBC is apparently cutting The Cycle, Now with Alex Wagner, and The Ed Show.

Brian Williams is in and Chuck Todd will be returning (taking Ed's spot) as well as Wagner.

Krystal Ball, Abby Huntsman and Toure are leaving MSNBC. Ari Melber is staying. Ed Schultz is leaving but says he's going to be covering the election in a 'very big way'.

Personally, I never really liked these shows except Alex Wagner. Ed is going to be Ed.

It's been less than a year since they cancelled Ronan Farrow's show and Reid Report as well.

Never had a great love affair with those shows but replacing them with smug beltway neojournalists is just loving pointless. Also, Wagner but not Sharpton? :rolleyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

icantfindaname posted:

I love abortion and I lust for the death of white baby girls

The Vikings aren't a particularly good example because they were still pagan. I'm pretty sure the Viking raiding and slaving stopped after they were fully Christianized?

According to The Great Courses lectures by Prof. Kenneth W. Harl ("The Vikings", naturally) on Audible, when they converted, they were told to stop enslaving other Christians. Slavery itself still existed.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Mister Macys posted:

According to The Great Courses lectures by Prof. Kenneth W. Harl ("The Vikings", naturally) on Audible, when they converted, they were told to stop enslaving other Christians. Slavery itself still existed.

And that was mostly a side-effect of being told to stop attacking other Christians.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-huckabee-troops-abortion_55bbc20ee4b06363d5a22323

The GOP Field literally all seems like identical versions of the president from "The Dead Zone"

May God help us all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_mike_pence_s_investigation_of_planned_parenthood_finds_zero_violations

As a Hoosier myself, I must happily report that Pence can get hosed and I hope somebody sends him the bill for the taxpayer dollars he wasted on this transparently manufactured scandal

Maybe now if he's so concerned with rooting out illegal activity he'll investigate CMP for their fraudulent IRShahaha yeah right

edit - "I wonder what Trump thinks about this" is as prevalent as ever and it must make the reactionary evangelical branch of the GOP furious

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"A civil society cannot function when it contains multiple different cultures." Levin today. I'm serious. I'm not paraphrasing this.

I'm sure if any major media figure cared enough about his dumb rear end to take him to task for it, he would deny how horrifically racist and unAmerican it is by explaining that he's not saying different races and cultures can't come here, they just have to whiten up as soon as they do :pseudo:

Bonus: "Jonah Goldberg had a couple good columns but if his mom weren't in the publishing biz he'd be cutting corned beef in Brooklyn." - Michael "Savage" "gently caress the Jews" Weiner

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Obdicut posted:

And that was mostly a side-effect of being told to stop attacking other Christians.

Well, it's the neighbourly thing to do. :tipshat:

Still plenty of pagan Slavs to go around.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Bill O'Reilly: "You hear the insane rhetoric on cable news every night."
:supaburn:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hazo posted:

"A civil society cannot function when it contains multiple different cultures." Levin today. I'm serious. I'm not paraphrasing this.

Right Wing media is literally sounding more and more like a GTA parody at this point. Seriously that's a JOKE in GTA V with Danny McBride saying it.

quote:

There we go. See, that is an enlightening and instructive tale about the danger of excessive travel. Multiculturalism is heathen-ism! If God wanted us to co-mingle, he would have invented the land of opportunity where we could migrate and create a glorious monoculture. But that ain't happening because it ain't right!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Obdicut posted:

Why do you think there's a relationship between Christianity and ending slavery? The British were fully Christianized by 1086 and had a 10% slave population.

There was a couple hundreds years lag between scandinavia being christianized and the end of slavery there.

Christianity played a foundational role in the recognition of the individual as the basic component of society (which is the basis of western liberalism,) it just took a millenia and a half or so for us to conclude that owning people as property was neither cool nor good.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jurgan posted:

Sounds like the George Carlin bit. "You've gotta get stuff from the Europeans, then get more stuff to guard your stuff from your neighbors, then go capture your neighbors with your stuff so you can trade with the Europeans to get more stuff!"

George Carlin should have done documentaries; it's the only thing he could have done that was more education than his actual act short of getting elected to office.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

baw posted:

Christianity played a foundational role in the recognition of the individual as the basic component of society (which is the basis of western liberalism,) it just took a millenia and a half or so for us to conclude that owning people as property was neither cool nor good.

The first part is highly arguable, the second part means the first part, even if true, is of very limited utility when talking about stuff like slavery. I think you're giving Christianity credit that actually goes to schools of thought that happened to develop inside Christianity because everyone was Christian.

Hazo posted:

I'm sure if any major media figure cared enough about his dumb rear end to take him to task for it, he would deny how horrifically racist and unAmerican it is by explaining that he's not saying different races and cultures can't come here, they just have to whiten up as soon as they do :pseudo:

Bonus: "Jonah Goldberg had a couple good columns but if his mom weren't in the publishing biz he'd be cutting corned beef in Brooklyn." - Michael "Savage" "gently caress the Jews" Weiner

One thing I wonder is where these people draw the dividing line for 'culture'? Because you can draw it anywhere. You go to England and you'll see English people asserting a strong cultural divide between the North and the South, between London and not-London. Go to Italy and every city has its own cultural identity.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Obdicut posted:

The first part is highly arguable, the second part means the first part, even if true, is of very limited utility when talking about stuff like slavery. I think you're giving Christianity credit that actually goes to schools of thought that happened to develop inside Christianity because everyone was Christian.

The early Christian hermetic movements opened the door for viewing people as something other than their status within their family or community. It was a radical break from a tradition that went all the way back to pre-history and the hearth as the basic building block of society. These movements took place before Constantine's conversion.

It's probably worth noting that this isn't something I'm making up as I go along, it's a central theme in Larry Siedentop's Inventing the Individual.

baw fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 1, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

baw posted:

The early Christian hermetic movements were the first time that there was a move away from viewing people as something other than their status within their community. It was a radical break from a tradition that went all the way back to pre-history and the hearth as the basic building block of society. These movements took place before Constantine's conversion.

It's probably worth noting that this isn't something I'm making up as I go along, it's a central theme in Larry Siedentop's Inventing the Individual.

Read this critical review of his book to understand that his view, while an interesting addition to scholarly works about the development of thought of individual, isn't the established fact you're presented it to be, but a highly disputed theory. It's cool that it obviously inspired you, but that he wrote a book claiming that doesn't mean it's been established as true fact; most people aren't convinced by it.

http://bostonreview.net/books-ideas/samuel-moyn-larry-siedentop-christianity-liberalism-history

Edit: Also, since we're wildly off-topic:

A library managed to successfully fight the Tea Party in order to stay open in a really interesting way: By proposing to burn the books.

http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2015/07/brilliant-way-to-push-back-the-senile-old-teabaggers-try-something-like-this/

baw posted:

You claim this while posting one critical review, but there are many other reviewers (and scholars) who generally accept his conclusions.

I will certainly give that article a read though.

edit:

there is a good discussion in the comments section of the review that you linked

Yes, some people like his conclusions. Lots of other people don't--he is heterodox. Just don't present the theory as though it's fact. The growth of the idea of the individual is a highly complex topic that doesn't have any simple or easy answer to, and certainly nothing that we can state definitively in the sweeping way that you did.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 1, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

You claim this while posting one critical review, but there are many other reviewers (and scholars) who generally accept his conclusions.

I will certainly give that article a read though.

edit:

there is a good discussion in the comments section of the review that you linked

baw fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 1, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
oh Huckabee, don't ever stop.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/07/mike_huckabee_as_president_id.html

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said if elected president he would not rule out deploying federal forces and the FBI to prevent abortions.

While in Iowa, the 2016 GOP presidential hopeful was asked if he would consider deploying the military and FBI, as well as defying the Supreme Court's 1973 ruling in Roe v. Wade, to prevent abortions from being performed.

"We'll see if I get to be president," Huckabee said, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal. "I will not pretend there is nothing we can do to stop this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Obdicut posted:

Edit: Also, since we're wildly off-topic:

A library managed to successfully fight the Tea Party in order to stay open in a really interesting way: By proposing to burn the books.

http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2015/07/brilliant-way-to-push-back-the-senile-old-teabaggers-try-something-like-this/

"Wait, didn't another library do something exactly like this years ago? With the help of some ad agency?" and yeah the video says they voted on Aug 2nd to save the library. This is actually from 2011 and it was concocted by Leo Burnett.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hazo posted:

Do the world a favor and send the timestamp and MP3 URL to Media Matters. I started listening to Mark Levin about 2 years ago on a lark just so I could contribute more to this thread. Over time I became convinced he is one of the most insanely outwardly racist people on terrestrial radio. Other hosts try to dog whistle more, but Levin just says stuff like that straight all the time. He does racist accents, and all his guest hosts are also insane racists to boot.

Levin is a white supremacist who happens to be Jewish, and uses his cultural Judaism to deflect all criticisms of racism or anti-semitism. He is, however, quite often extremely anti-semetic when he starts talking about American Jewish people to the point that he uses the classic tactic of calling Jon Stewart, "Jon Stewart Leibowitz."

My dream is to drive that fucker off the air, and so if you could send timestamps of the most egregious bits to Media Matters I would be grateful. The only thing keeping him on the air now is that nobody listens to his show. He claims amazing ratings for his time slot all the time, but he's in a dead time slot after drive time but pre-evening. If he ever got more listeners he'd be driven off the air in a few months. I want his wingnut welfare to dry up.

I should do a post about how he doctor's his listener numbers some time.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 1, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hurr there were jewishnazis. Antisemitism is caused by secret self hating Jews amirite? Totally not a problem in mainstream society. I get it. You are using jewishness as an insult. But that is ok since it's against a particular type of self hating Jew.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Brian Williams and Chuck Todd? Why not just take the channel out back and shoot it?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ErIog posted:

Do the world a favor and send the timestamp and MP3 URL to Media Matters. I started listening to Mark Levin about 2 years ago on a lark just so I could contribute more to this thread. Over time I became convinced he is one of the most insanely outwardly racist people on terrestrial radio. Other hosts try to dog whistle more, but Levin just says stuff like that straight all the time. He does racist accents, and all his guest hosts are also insane racists to boot.

Levin is a white supremacist who happens to be Jewish, and uses his cultural Judaism to deflect all criticisms of racism or anti-semitism. He is, however, quite often extremely anti-semetic when he starts talking about American Jewish people to the point that he uses the classic tactic of calling Jon Stewart, "Jon Stewart Leibowitz."

My dream is to drive that fucker off the air, and so if you could send timestamps of the most egregious bits to Media Matters I would be grateful. The only thing keeping him on the air now is that nobody listens to his show. He claims amazing ratings for his time slot all the time, but he's in a dead time slot after drive time but pre-evening. If he ever got more listeners he'd be driven off the air in a few months. I want his wingnut welfare to dry up.

I should do a post about how he doctor's his listener numbers some time.
I only catch him in my car in my car if I'm doing errands after work. I'd have no idea how to find a recording since, as I've said before, Rush seems to be the only one with enough "integrity" (ego) to provide transcripts and recordings of his garbage. It was sometime around 6:30-6:55 EST though for whatever that's worth.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Hazo posted:

I know this isn't a new new idea for the far right, but the idea is starting to come back around in popularity among the hard right crazies. I've seen various screeds about multiculturalism and multiple languages being spoken being the death of countries and thats how america is going to be destroyed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Branis posted:

I know this isn't a new new idea for the far right, but the idea is starting to come back around in popularity among the hard right crazies. I've seen various screeds about multiculturalism and multiple languages being spoken being the death of countries and thats how america is going to be destroyed.

Yeah, it's symptomatic of the existential stress that white men are feeling over the very slow erosion of their institutional power in America. For people who've grown up taking it for granted that they'll get all of what they want every time, the fact that they're just getting most of what they want most of the time is causing a shitload of angst.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Rush was getting in on the Planned Parenthood thing yesterday. He mentioned that he'd held back on commenting about the story until that day (Friday 7/31/2015). He went hard on it. Describing the of the processes used in a procedure slowly with dead air for effect. He sold it as most heinous despicable thing one could imagine.

On the local AM station the story is always present in the background of any other topic. It's now a symbol of the Mainstream Media ignoring stories because of their leftist slant.

I listened to a bit of Hannity on Thursday and well you know...He's just lovely Hannity. :smug:

I don't really know what to say other than the Planned Parenthood thing is weird. I get that it's red meat for the base, but at the political level, removing the emotional arguments, it seems so cynical to attempt to defund Planned Parenthood. The odd thing is that since most of the money that goes to Planned Parenthood federally comes from Medicaid in the form of preventative healthcare and it seems the courts have already blocked attempts by states to disallow the use of Medicaid funds.

So I guess what I'm saying is this seems to be a big stink that will amount to not much? Am I reading it wrong?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Rush was getting in on the Planned Parenthood thing yesterday. He mentioned that he'd held back on commenting about the story until that day (Friday 7/31/2015). He went hard on it. Describing the of the processes used in a procedure slowly with dead air for effect. He sold it as most heinous despicable thing one could imagine.

On the local AM station the story is always present in the background of any other topic. It's now a symbol of the Mainstream Media ignoring stories because of their leftist slant.

I listened to a bit of Hannity on Thursday and well you know...He's just lovely Hannity. :smug:

I don't really know what to say other than the Planned Parenthood thing is weird. I get that it's red meat for the base, but at the political level, removing the emotional arguments, it seems so cynical to attempt to defund Planned Parenthood. The odd thing is that since most of the money that goes to Planned Parenthood federally comes from Medicaid in the form of preventative healthcare and it seems the courts have already blocked attempts by states to disallow the use of Medicaid funds.

So I guess what I'm saying is this seems to be a big stink that will amount to not much? Am I reading it wrong?

it's more about getting voters out than anything else, I think.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Defunding PP is the "best possible" of all of the GOP's outcomes, but the real reason that they're pushing it is that they want to have an emotional issue like abortion driving people to pull the lever for "R" in 2016.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

James Garfield posted:

Bill O'Reilly: "You hear the insane rhetoric on cable news every night."
:supaburn:

Now I have to share this picture again. I call it irony.png:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

"Nu-uh! You totally kept in touch with us to sell us baby parts, just try and prove us wrong! Prove that you rejected our contract in writing, PROVE IT OR YOUR BABY ORGAN SELLERS!"

How much dumber can these people get. What the gently caress is this logic.

"What are you doing? You don't work here!"
"Yeah? Show me the contract I signed where I agreed that I DON'T work in this store. Checkmate! Give me my paycheck."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mister Macys posted:

Ding ding ding. Heck, there were tremendous slapfights between Spanish property owners in the Americas (who liked having pagans around for labor) and the Catholic church (who for dome reason wanted to convert as many pagans possible and thereby give them more rights under Spanish law :ohdear:).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Iowa Snow King posted:

Brian Williams and Chuck Todd? Why not just take the channel out back and shoot it?

I've been thinking the real reason MSNBC's been struggling is they're targeting an audience that doesn't watch cable as much as Fox News' audience.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

I've been thinking the real reason MSNBC's been struggling is they're targeting an audience that doesn't watch cable as much as Fox News' audience.

Cable news has become so horrible in the last 20 years that viewers who care about objective factual reporting abandoned it long ago. The ones who loyally watch it now have been dumbed-down, conditioned like the proverbial frog in boiling water. Integrity has no appeal anymore, therefore isn't profitable. MSNBC is obviously trying to grab the attention of the dumbed downers who now make up the vast majority of cable viewers, which is why they do poo poo like aggressively promote Morning Joe even though it has always tanked in the ratings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

beatlegs posted:

Cable news has become so horrible in the last 20 years that viewers who care about objective factual reporting abandoned it long ago. The ones who loyally watch it now have been dumbed-down, conditioned like the proverbial frog in boiling water. Integrity has no appeal anymore, therefore isn't profitable. MSNBC is obviously trying to grab the attention of the dumbed downers who now make up the vast majority of cable viewers, which is why they do poo poo like aggressively promote Morning Joe even though it has always tanked in the ratings.

Morning Joe is an amazing continuous trainwreck. They are the parody "Morning News Talk Show Team That Unsubtly Hates Each Other On Air" come to life. I don't think I've ever seen a co-anchor duo with as much naked existential despisal of one another as Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh David Barton :allears:

quote:

Then, Congress has passed what’s called ENDA, Employment Non-Discrimination Act, passed this in ’06 under Pelosi and Reid and at that point in time, it says you cannot discriminate on the basis of hiring.
As a result, the president has now announced that faith based groups have to hire homosexuals; not an option, you have to because federal law says you cannot discriminate on the basis of identity. So if a pedophile comes to the church and says I want to run your nursery, you can’t say no because that’s discriminating on the basis of identity. If a homosexual comes and says I want to be your youth director and you say no, you can’t do that, you can’t distinguish on the basis of gender.
And in the same way as came out at the Supreme Court, back 25 years ago when the Supreme Court ruled that segregation was wrong, and you had a Christian college, Bob Jones that says we’re still going to do it in dating and interracial marriage, etc., they lost the tax exempt status because they wouldn’t comply with the Supreme Court decision. Well now the Supreme Court says you can’t distinguish on the basis of gender but only on identity, guess what? That calls into qu…and that’s what Obama’s attorney said, it will call into question every single tax exemption in America for every church. I guarantee you that people who thought same-sex marriage was for equality didn’t intend to destroy all the church in America. And that’s what it does.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthrockmorton/2015/07/23/david-barton-churches-are-required-to-hire-pedophiles-to-run-church-nurseries/

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sometimes it's hard to believe that only 25 years have passed since they decided that segregation was wrong.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
David Barton decided that segregation was wrong 25 years ago, and since he is never wrong the supreme court must have only decided it that long ago, too.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sometimes it's hard to believe that only 25 years have passed since they decided that segregation was wrong.

Does he even realize that in this analogy he's on the side of the segregationists? Does he care?

Also, no, ENDA is not law. It should be (or at least some version of it), but it's not.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pentyne posted:

Here's part 4

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...od-intensifies/

"We rejected them because their plans violated the fundamental legal and ethical standards by which we operate"

To which the response is

"Nu-uh! You totally kept in touch with us to sell us baby parts, just try and prove us wrong! Prove that you rejected our contract in writing, PROVE IT OR YOUR BABY ORGAN SELLERS!"

This is at the level of approaching a PP rep, passing over a contract for them to increase their abortions by 1000% and when PP walks away from the table in disgust then saying "Well they never said in writing they opposed it, so clearly they want to do it"

Literally, at every loving level PP has made sure that they in no way shape or form break any laws and hold themselves to the highest medical ethical standards. If this ends with PP being defunded then burn every GOP leader at the stake.
Remember the ACORN video? The woman in the ACORN video reported O'Keefe and his associate to the police. It wouldn't matter if PP kept some record of rejecting the contract (which, for the...record...is a silly demand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Does he even realize that in this analogy he's on the side of the segregationists? Does he care?

Also, no, ENDA is not law. It should be (or at least some version of it), but it's not.

he is a segregationist :ssh: