Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Part of what makes Madoka so amazing is its positive message of love and hope. Shin Sekai Yori and to a lesser extent Fate Zero poo poo all over that.
I'd recommend instead that you check out Hidamari sketch, a happy, friendly show that shares a character designer with Madoka, or if you need some action, the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movies, which still have themes of friendship and love, but also impressive fighting sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

recommend him good anime, not nanoha

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

like The Tatami Galaxy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

like The Tatami Galaxy

Considering how he liked the cinematography aspect, this is absolutely one of the best choices.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah i was too lazy to make an effort post, but that's not just because it's good, but rather something he should genuinely enjoy based on what he's looking for

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Lestaki posted:

I personally recommend Shin Sekai Yori.

On episode 9 right now. So far it has this subtle but thoroughly unsettling atmosphere that draws you in (maybe comparable to the beginning of Rebellion, but sustained continuously). Some art/animation issues aside, I'll second this one. And if you're not keen on the character designs, go look up the manga's and count your blessings.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Attack posted:

recommend him good anime, not nanoha

Hey man, A's had some good fights.

Cake Attack posted:

like The Tatami Galaxy

This is a loving awesome recommendation though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can i watch rebellion in english

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

like are there subs? yes

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

epitasis posted:

can i watch rebellion in english

Both dub and sub are on Netflix for the series + rebellion.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

smh why does netflix have it and not crunchyroll. oh well I guess I can resub and check out wet hot too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nanoha was cool at one point but the writers have absolutely no idea what made the franchise cool in the first place so they've been loving it up since strikers.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Did not know Madoka had a dub. ...is it any good? I could be down for a low effort rewatch sometime

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Knorth posted:

Did not know Madoka had a dub. ...is it any good? I could be down for a low effort rewatch sometime

YOU'RE MINE MADOKA, MINE MINE MINE

MOMMY, YOU'RE SO COOL

GIRLS CAN'T LOVE GIRLS, GIRLS CAN'T LOVE GIRLS

No, it's not.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

YOU'RE MINE MADOKA, MINE MINE MINE

MOMMY, YOU'RE SO COOL

GIRLS CAN'T LOVE GIRLS, GIRLS CAN'T LOVE GIRLS

No, it's not.

Wait. Does that mean that this is real?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9hgp32-f0

Holy poo poo lmao.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Nanoha was cool at one point but the writers have absolutely no idea what made the franchise cool in the first place so they've been loving it up since strikers.

I haven't watched nanoha, but I've heard people say that the owners have a bad habit of bloating successive seasons of their shows with tons of new characters that stick around until you end up with a jumbled mess where new characters don't get proper characterization and old favorites get little screentime.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

I really liked Sayaka's english VA.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

I haven't watched nanoha, but I've heard people say that the owners have a bad habit of bloating successive seasons of their shows with tons of new characters that stick around until you end up with a jumbled mess where new characters don't get proper characterization and old favorites get little screentime.

Pretty much. StrikerS felt like they didn't know how to pace a 24 episode show, nor did they know just how much money they'd need for one. The latest season doesn't seem to be fairing too much better.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't mind so much the extra characters if they knew how to focus on the cool ones.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

littleorv posted:

Wait. Does that mean that this is real?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9hgp32-f0

Holy poo poo lmao.
The more I watch that, the funnier it gets. Does she have any equally silly moments during her brief stint in Rebellion?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Blaziken386 posted:

The more I watch that, the funnier it gets. Does she have any equally silly moments during her brief stint in Rebellion?

You mean other than becoming a yukkuri?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Blaziken386 posted:

She spends the one scene in which she has a significant speaking part throwing a supernaturally-enhanced tantrum about her boyfriend neglecting her, so yeah, kinda.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Space Flower posted:

You mean other than becoming a yukkuri?

Thuryl posted:

She spends the one scene in which she has a significant speaking part throwing a supernaturally-enhanced tantrum about her boyfriend neglecting her, so yeah, kinda.
No, no, I meant anything that's only really made silly by bad english voicing. I know about the temper-tantrum and subsequent moe-blob moment. One of my favorite of the funnier lines in the movie is Sayaka pretty much going "Geezus Hitomi, chill the gently caress out." in response to said temper tantrum.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I believe that girls CAN, love girls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

same

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Motto posted:

That's exactly what went wrong with it. The same people that made Nanoha also made Dog Days, which suffered from the same problem after its second season.

If you're going to watch Nanoha, you should just watch the movies instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hitoshi knows it too, she's just in denial.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd just recommend Attack on Titan, which gets really wordy, but is still hella dope when poo poo hits the fan.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I'd just recommend Attack on Titan, which gets really wordy, but is still hella dope when poo poo hits the fan.

I don't think it's an ideal suggestion, because of this part of his request:

Torquemadras posted:

And something else that bothers me in many shows: although there are many talking heads scenes (hell, the bunnycat does a ton of deliciously evil monologues), it's not static, they do tons of camera tricks. The whole anime didn't feel static to me at any point. Maybe it's just a production value thing, or typical for that studio, I have no idea. I don't know anything about cinematography either, I just suddenly noticed the lack of something that bothered me elsewhere.

There's a *ton* of static shots of talking heads in Attack on Titan and it's incredibly rare for it to do anything interesting with those shots.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, good point.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Torquemadras reporting back from his search for more Madoka which isn't Madoka. :toot:

Shin Sekai Yori started out with a nice atmosphere of dread, what with spectral cats and vanishing students and whatnot. I only lasted until episode 6 or so, though - suddenly, there's mole rats instead of horrifingly wrong psi school, and quality seemed to hit an embarrassing low... The number of cutaways from any resemblance of action was pretty bad. Also, for how unsettling the exposition from Magical Exposition Slug was, it was presented in a very boring way. The mysterious intros in the first few episodes were the best part.
Sooooo, nope.

Tatami Galaxy was... something! Only watched the first one, but I already like the sheer speed of, well, everything. Also looks super-cool. Looking forward to the adventures of what seems to be an enormous wimp loser.

Srice posted:

There's a *ton* of static shots of talking heads in Attack on Titan and it's incredibly rare for it to do anything interesting with those shots.

I read this and I watched it anyway, because I liked the manga somewhat :toot: And true enough, I think it's... pretty bad. It's weird - it's got all these colossal, earth-shattering titan battles that should be a sheer bliss to watch animated, yet I think the story works much better as a comic. Less melodramatic narration seconds and yelled lines (due to lack of sound). I laughed at what must've been ten minutes of some general dude dramatically lowering his arm to give a signal to fire. That, and static shots of talking. Guess I've been warned! Dropping this.

Next up: Fate/Zero. Not too sure what to think of the first episode, but I guess I'll see how much Madoka is in it once there's battles and characters making each other's lives worse. It's already got this subtle dread to it, where you just KNOW certain decisions will turn out horrible, and yet characters make them, and NOOOOOOOO why do I have to watch you being crushed slowly yet can't look away! Also, that sneak peak I got earlier of a knight surfing on a plane was sweet.

Five suggestions, tried four, got two I want to continue watching. Nice haul, thanks!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bakemonogatari is the premier weird talking show

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
It has more or less nothing in common with Madoka in terms of tone and thematics but if you want an anime with pretty visuals and sound that is always doing something visually, watch Kyousougiga. In fact watch it anyway because everyone should and almost no one has. You can (and probably should) jump straight into the TV version, starting from episode 1 because the TV series covers everything relevant from the ONAs anyway and several major plot things clearly changed between the production of the original ONA and the TV series, which could easily trip you up because the way the whole thing is framed is pretty much tailor made to make you remember what you've seen but not which thing showed it to you or in what order.

None of what follows is relevant to the person actually asking for recommendations but if anyone finds themself thinking about watching Nanoha, just watch Symphogear instead. In fact, if the list of things you are looking for ends at magical girls and cool fight scenes then gently caress it, just watch a Precure. The currently airing Go! Princess Precure is particularly good for that but even the most dire season can manage some.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have watched kyousogiga

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the verdict: epic

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to finish Kyousougiga one of these days.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Kyousougiga is great, everyone should watch it.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Watched the Bebop, Akira, Evangelion, Miyazaki, and I reaaaaaally liked Satoshi Kon.

He has a different vibe than Satoshi Kon, but as far as movie directors go, Mamoru Hosoda is drat good, and continues to improve (granted I haven't been able to see his latest). I'd check him out.

This one is probably wildly off base, but considering what you listed looks just like my early preferences... Scrapped Princess. It looks mediocre, and to most it legitimately is, but for whatever reason it's grown into a personal favorite. Who knows...

Torquemadras posted:

Shin Sekai Yori started out with a nice atmosphere of dread, what with spectral cats and vanishing students and whatnot. I only lasted until episode 6 or so, though - suddenly, there's mole rats instead of horrifingly wrong psi school, and quality seemed to hit an embarrassing low... The number of cutaways from any resemblance of action was pretty bad. Also, for how unsettling the exposition from Magical Exposition Slug was, it was presented in a very boring way. The mysterious intros in the first few episodes were the best part.
Sooooo, nope.

I agree with everything you wrote. But now I'm on episode 16 and glad I stuck around. There are some interesting developments involving the monster rats which justifies their focus and involvement in the early episodes (though admittedly the execution was pretty bad), and the most interesting turn of events (for me) happens at episode 12. Basically... it's still unsettling as all hell, but I'm intrigued at what they're doing with Saki and appreciate how all the working parts of the world (even the horrifying ones) have understandable motivations. But I'll shut up about the new world...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shin sekai is very uneven, the first mole rat arc is by far the worst part though

• Locked thread