Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

Basically now it's just a phrase that people toss at whatever characters they don't like when they aren't able or can't be bothered to come up with actual criticisms.

that's such a loving McGuffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Okay I've got this stupid Jewel Beetle now. Is there anything else I need to know? The guide looked at for this quest neglected to mention I needed to catch at night to get the jewel beetle, so it might be missing other info. It says I can only catch the river guardian when it is raining or snowing, but does day/night matter for this one?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Motto posted:

Basically now it's just a phrase that people toss at whatever characters they don't like when they aren't able or can't be bothered to come up with actual criticisms.

Pretty much. The only RPG character I can think of who really fits the term is probably Lucretia from Suikoden V. No one in Persona comes close.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Delsaber posted:

No one in Persona comes close.

I dunno, that definition seems to fit the P3 protagonist pretty well.

And, like, Maki in Persona 1 is literally the real Maki's Mary Sue character.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

if you call someone a mary sue i ignore your opinion, because it's certainly bad

i will marry and sue marie, for unlawful possession of my heart

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

if you call someone a mary sue i ignore your opinion, because it's certainly bad

You're a Mary Sue

Because you're infallible and loved by all :h:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't like cake attack

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

You're a Mary Sue

Because you're infallible and loved by all :h:

unfortunately i must ignore your opinion, as i'm not a man who goes back on his word

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LibbyM posted:

Okay I've got this stupid Jewel Beetle now. Is there anything else I need to know? The guide looked at for this quest neglected to mention I needed to catch at night to get the jewel beetle, so it might be missing other info. It says I can only catch the river guardian when it is raining or snowing, but does day/night matter for this one?

I caught it during the day when it was cloudy. Took me a bunch of casts before he bit though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

I don't like cake attack

mods???

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

I dunno, that definition seems to fit the P3 protagonist pretty well.

You could, but it shows how silly throwing that term around is. The P3/P4 MCs are semi-blank slate player controlled characters in a game where one of the core mechanics is building relationships with people, of course they're going to be basically perfect if you play the game optimally.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Chief posted:

I don't like cake attack

Yikes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

You could, but it shows how silly throwing that term around is. The P3/P4 MCs are semi-blank slate player controlled characters in a game where one of the core mechanics is building relationships with people, of course they're going to be basically perfect if you play the game optimally.

it's the same with Skyrim, but that's the entire point of the game. To build your guy up to be so powerful that he is the best.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
nah cake attack's alright

it's that manatee cannon i don't think highly of

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

it's the same with Skyrim, but that's the entire point of the game. To build your guy up to be so powerful that he is the best.

This post has lead me to the realization that there is a better chance than not that a Skyrim mod exists in which Rise comments on your fights.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

might make the game half decent

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Pimp Drakula posted:

This post has lead me to the realization that there is a better chance than not that a Skyrim mod exists in which Rise comments on your fights.

"That troll is weak to fire spells! That's hot."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

Now what did I do to deserve this

actually on second thought don't answer that

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Chief posted:

chiefus meefus peefus, where is this coming from, i have to know

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know who you are

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm a gossipmonger

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

smt is good I think

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

in my humble o

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
you're wrong

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If inactive party members in Persona 5 don't get exp then it will be trash.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If P5 doesn't have skippable cutscenes it will be trash

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That'd be nice for people who play the game twice but I wonder how many people have bought a Persona game and were disappointed that they couldn't skip the cutscenes to get to the dungeons

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It'll probably have the fast forward feature from P4G.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

That'd be nice for people who play the game twice but I wonder how many people have bought a Persona game and were disappointed that they couldn't skip the cutscenes to get to the dungeons

Me because I don't want go through your loving three hour opening cutscene.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It'll probably have the fast forward feature from P4G.

This still didn't really rememedy the issue

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Or your hour long build up to interrogate nametame that you couldn't skip because og P4 was a loving ps2 game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because if you die to a boss then you have to re-watch the cutscene before you can try again, and if you die multiple times it can get very tiresome.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i think persona 5 will be...

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Because if you die to a boss then you have to re-watch the cutscene before you can try again, and if you die multiple times it can get very tiresome.

I didn't consider that but it is a good point

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes I do love in FFX when you die to any seymour boss you get to sit there for a 10 minute cutscene and then someone will defend it with "OH WHY AREN'T YOU ENJOYING THE STORY"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ah, the son of Jecht.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Death awaits you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should've also added a cutscene skip option in p3 so I could skip the first 12 phases of the nyx avatar boss

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Chief posted:

Me because I don't want go through your loving three hour opening cutscene.

This still didn't really rememedy the issue

Nah, but it alleviated it somewhat.

At least for me, I only played Golden once so it was nice to be able to fast forward through boring parts of big cutscenes without losing out on all of it. Having fast forward and an actual skip is the best option though obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hate all of the Persona 5 cast sofar. I don't think I will like them as much as Persona 4.