Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cardboard Box posted:

this is a controversial stance to take, foochs

I would also like to profess my dislike of that particular disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lets go cancer

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

lets go cancer

cancer sucks?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Seriously tho what's cancer? That like a boil or something?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

oldpainless posted:

Seriously tho what's cancer? That like a boil or something?

-Kurt Angle

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
This is a real tragedy. I am curious how wwe will mention his legacy and avoid hulk hogan

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

"I had cancer this morning but I'm still here jumping around!"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
With Dusty and Piper, we lost two of the all time best promos within a month and a half. If guys still cut promos like that, wrestling would be so much better.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Roddy Piper vs. The Mountie: Royal Rumble 1992 - …: https://youtu.be/avEpDWdh0ag

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress man, this sucks.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Thanks for the memories, Hot Rod, both old and new! :unsmith:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a fellow Winnipegger this one hurts a lot. I was raised hard on the WWF and Piper was one of my faves. The match with Goldust was awesome and I thought that poo poo was real - even, to this day, believing that punch he landed was real. Ill never forget the smack it made.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Legit bummed about this. Piper was huge in Portland in the 80s/90s. So huge, in fact, that my mom texted me today saying that she was sad about it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Piper's on my personal mount rushmore of wrestling faves. Dude was incredible in the ring and on the mic. One of the legit double tough guys that when he aimed to kick someone's rear end you couldn't tell if he was shooting or working.

His little comment on his podcast about how COPS(the show) ruined policing showed just what an incredibly astute mind hid behind all the bluster and madness.

Piper screaming about sweaty betties on WWECW showed just how little of a gently caress he gave about standards and practices and just lived for that crowd reaction.

Shine on, you crazy grandpa.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

this is a controversial stance to take, foochs

Sometimes even I have hot takes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

Real sad to hear he has died, particularly at such a comparatively young age - but hey, the dude got cancer and a decade later his cause of death is dying in his sleep cancer-free, so every day was a gift basically. RIP.

He outlived alot of his peers, so his age is actually on the high end of the wrestler bell curve I imagine.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

As a fellow Winnipegger this one hurts a lot. I was raised hard on the WWF and Piper was one of my faves. The match with Goldust was awesome and I thought that poo poo was real - even, to this day, believing that punch he landed was real. Ill never forget the smack it made.

If it makes you feel any better, Goldust was scared to death of Piper during that whole match. He was swinging that bat hard.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

rip dude :(

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I was not expecting this at all. Any speculation as to how the cardiac arrest was aggravated?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

I was not expecting this at all. Any speculation as to how the cardiac arrest was aggravated?

Nothing has been released yet but years of heavy body abuse, steroids, alcohol, and coke take their toll. Cancer treatment is also rough on the body. :(

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Nothing has been released yet but years of heavy body abuse, steroids, alcohol, and coke take their toll. Cancer treatment is also rough on the body. :(

Yeah, the guy went in his sleep I would think pretty good way to go. The best way to go I would think is to pass out after some really good lovin. He went probably second best way.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Roddy Piper vs. The Mountie: Royal Rumble 1992 - …: https://youtu.be/avEpDWdh0ag

people loved seeing old jimmy hart gettin his rear end kicked. i love it. very cool of the wwe to put this video up.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gently caress this poo poo. :(

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
One of my favorite and obviously unscripted Piper moments was when he was on commentary with Vince when Saba Simba debuted, and Piper immediately says "Wait a minute, that's Toooonyyyy Atlas!" and Vince immediately had to backpedal and say he was paying tribute to his heritage and not, you know, the African savage that 90s WWF clearly wanted to portray.

That, and the time Piper and Snuka brought the Royal Rumble to a dead stop while everyone else in the ring just marked the gently caress out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone have footage of the 2008 Royal Rumble at the garden? Piper was the 19th entrant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The new Forum title is great, thank you :)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The new Forum title is great, thank you :)

Cause we bowdy bowdy.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
New forum title made me :unsmith:

Hope you're up in heaven hitting angels with coconuts buddy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress this year.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Aw man, Roddy owned. Fucker beat cancer too. RIP Rowdy, hope you're smashing cocnuts on Snuka in heaven (making it hell for Snuka)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Holy poo poo, Dusty, Iwata and now Piper? This year sucks.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Aw man, Roddy owned. Fucker beat cancer too. RIP Rowdy, hope you're smashing cocnuts on Snuka in heaven (making it hell for Snuka)

Snuka is still alive somehow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blast Fantasto posted:

With Dusty and Piper, we lost two of the all time best promos within a month and a half. If guys still cut promos like that, wrestling would be so much better.

Keeping an eye on Jake Roberts now.

Piper was such an amazing character.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
thanks matt

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Cactus Jack posted:

New forum title made me :unsmith:

Hope you're up in heaven hitting angels with coconuts buddy.

This does raise the question of how one is racist regarding angels.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is meant to be sincere, so please don't take it the wrong way.

I am so relieved we got Legends House when we did. I remember the idea floating around the rumor mill, and I thought it sounded like the greatest trainwreck ever made. I can't imagine a show like it without the force of personality that is Piper. Can't have a trainwreck without him.:unsmith:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Loved Piper v Bret at WM8. RIP Roddy.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Remembering Roddy is dead is going to remind me that Dusty is dead is going to remind me that Christopher Lee is dead. And then when Ian McKellan dies the whole thing will wrap around in both directions. Life is now officially hell

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

I mean, it very well might have been. I'm specifically remembering that Mick Foley story about how Terry Funk made his punches look real by actually decking the other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That DICK! posted:

Remembering Roddy is dead is going to remind me that Dusty is dead is going to remind me that Christopher Lee is dead. And then when Ian McKellan dies the whole thing will wrap around in both directions. Life is now officially hell

As always, America's finest news source is on top of this pressing issue

• Locked thread