Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Race Realists posted:

"no anime, no life"

What, you don't want one of these bad boys hanging up at your place? Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ascalapha odorata posted:

What, you don't want one of these bad boys hanging up at your place? Sheesh.

on the contrary id very much like that

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ascalapha odorata posted:

Anyway, all of that was great and not too long because I like reading long effort Jojo posts. Thanks.
Anytime.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i err on the side of liking arc 6's ending mostly because i kinda saw it as something that would happen eventually. the series starts out with falling into a lot of themes that we all know and recognize in other shows today, but over time araki started to break away more and more. it was only a matter of time before the major plot point was that someone had a stand whose quirky power was absolutely deadly for everyone involved and something bittersweet would happen. hell, even arc 7 has the whole thing with gyro and the deal that valentine tries to strike with johnny. if anything, stone ocean probably came a little too early and might have done better if there'd been an arc between it and vento aureo, but i'm pretty sure that a 'stone ocean' of some sort was due at some point.

the joestar bloodline was fated to fight dio until their last, after all. now they're free. and what a ride it was.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CURE FREE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brannock posted:

Does this really happen? I can think of only a few examples where the story ended with everyone (or even most characters) dying.

Ideon?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Where were the part 5 new translations at? feel like rereading the what they got

Harefield Terrace
Jul 15, 2015

Happy and I know it

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think i err on the side of liking arc 6's ending mostly because i kinda saw it as something that would happen eventually. the series starts out with falling into a lot of themes that we all know and recognize in other shows today, but over time araki started to break away more and more. it was only a matter of time before the major plot point was that someone had a stand whose quirky power was absolutely deadly for everyone involved and something bittersweet would happen. hell, even arc 7 has the whole thing with gyro and the deal that valentine tries to strike with johnny. if anything, stone ocean probably came a little too early and might have done better if there'd been an arc between it and vento aureo, but i'm pretty sure that a 'stone ocean' of some sort was due at some point.

the joestar bloodline was fated to fight dio until their last, after all. now they're free. and what a ride it was.

Yeah, I really like the endings of parts 1 and 6. Jonathan gets a standard hero's victory but then you get more of a straightforward fight between a dude with tons of powers versus a dude that breathes really well. Then Jolyne and company get to be on the receiving end of a villain that actually gets to follow through on the potential of his plans. I'd rather have a bittersweet/somber end to an arc than watch an unbeatable enemy get launched into space via convenient volcanic eruption. I mean I'm not really arguing for consistency or realism in my Jojo. I just want the villains to have some weight behind their actions. Usually that means they have to win every now and again even if it is only temporary.

I don't see part 6 as "rocks fall, everyone dies" so much as "things got crazy for string girl and the punch ghosts; good thing that child killed a priest". Good didn't really win but neither did evil. Status quo wasn't preserved. Everything got shuffled so new stories could be told. And I'm cool with that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Have you considered throwing that stuff on a blog yourself?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Joestars finally getting their comeuppance was great and Stone Ocean rules for it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Prison Warden posted:

As an alternative, if you want to take it that way, I don't think there is anything preventing you from interpreting the story such that the final timeline we see is actually the one that continues on from all the other parts. After all, Jolyne knew jack poo poo about all of her family's bizarre adventures, we never see Pucci or have Dio's diary mentioned before Part 6, and we never see the only character from a previous part (Jotaro) after the universe reset.

This theory could also explain why Giorno never showed up at Cape Canaveral :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just started part 7 and it has already justified everything in part 6 just by existing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Let's Go Eat Italian Food! in Part 4 was beautiful, it was a really nice change to have the enemy stand user just be a decent guy who wanted to do what he loved, even the dog was fine in the end!

In general I like the more good-natured tone of this part, the protagonists going out their way to try and save their enemies is really refreshing after Jotaro's murderous rampage in Stardust Crusaders

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bad Seafood posted:

Everybody loves D'Arby the Gambler because he's wily, not because he's strong. He isn't strong. In a straight-up fight, D'Arby would lose.

I find this funny because it's absolutely true and yet his giant chest says he clearly spends every hour he's not gambling either at the gym or drinking protein shakes, like every other male until the twink supremacy of part V.

mabels big day posted:

I just started part 7 and it has already justified everything in part 6 just by existing.

Also this is completely true. SBR rules and I basically slogged through Stone Ocean knowing that SBR would reward my faith in Araki.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Naerasa posted:

I find this funny because it's absolutely true and yet his giant chest says he clearly spends every hour he's not gambling either at the gym or drinking protein shakes, like every other male until the twink supremacy of part V.

Men in Jojo are simply effortlessly beautiful. LIFTING: USELESS.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I will always love that DIO is just so beautiful that men just become entranced, like he approaches the platonic ideal for beauty

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

setafd posted:

I will always love that DIO is just so beautiful that men just become entranced, like he approaches the platonic ideal for beauty

"I just want to be friends..."
*roses blossom forth, Pet Shop makes immaculate DIO sculptures*

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Ekusukariba posted:

I wonder if Time Stop has an effected range, like say there was some third stand user who could stop time that was far off in a different country, he's just trying to eat his dinner when all of a sudden time stops and he's unable to move, and he keeps getting annoyed that time is seemingly randomly freezes

The flipside of this is, if it has a more localized radius, then now Cairo, or select areas of it, are anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute behind the rest of the world. Which wouldn't amount to much but still sounds ominous.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

The flipside of this is, if it has a more localized radius, then now Cairo, or select areas of it, are anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute behind the rest of the world. Which wouldn't amount to much but still sounds ominous.

If the time stop was local, there would be enormous earthquakes and natural disasters caused everytime The World activates, since part of the Earth's crust would stop rotating and the rest would collide into it

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Maybe not, since things can still kind of move during the stops if the momentum behind them is strong enough. If Dio can throw knives a few feet, then Earth probably rotates as normal.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

I meant more that like if you are X distance away you won't become aware that time stopped even if you have the ability

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SkeletonHero posted:

Maybe not, since things can still kind of move during the stops if the momentum behind them is strong enough. If Dio can throw knives a few feet, then Earth probably rotates as normal.

No, things can move if DIO moves them. Everything else freezes no matter how much momentum they have.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ekusukariba posted:

Where were the part 5 new translations at? feel like rereading the what they got

Here's the latest chapter you have to like the group on facebook to get updates on when the release new chapters. I hardly ever check facebook so I just keep the last page in the chapter bookmarked and check every day to see of they updated.
http://bato.to/read/_/335805/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v52_ch487_by_jojos-colored-adventure

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Xibanya posted:

Have you considered throwing that stuff on a blog yourself?
It's an idea I've tossed around, but I've never committed to it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Harefield Terrace posted:

I don't see part 6 as "rocks fall, everyone dies" so much as "things got crazy for string girl and the punch ghosts; good thing that child killed a priest". Good didn't really win but neither did evil. Status quo wasn't preserved. Everything got shuffled so new stories could be told. And I'm cool with that.

Yeah, the only way to really "win" against Dio is to never have played the game in the first place.

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd love to read it if you ever manage to do commit to JoJo Effort Posts: The Blog.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Do it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Uh, PB/BT and season 1 of SC are on amazon video? (for a big price), what's going on...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ICFK1Q?ref_=atv_dp_season_select_s1

PB/BT are dubbed, not SC 1.

edit: this twitter account has vines of some of the voices https://twitter.com/silencedrowns/media

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 1, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just selling the subtitled versions I'm sure

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WAIT WHAT

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not sure what to think of kars sounding so generic

tbh

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fits with his character p well

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You utter fool!!! German Science is the finest in the world!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm actually going to buy these episodes then buy the DVDs, god help me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, kars being generic aside, they went out of their way to give so many characters varied accents and whatever that it's just weird that the big villain of arc who's a fabulous mesoamerican supervampire sounds like Generic Gruff American Man #4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress is he supposed to sound like? How do you make that character sound like anything other than that? He's not going to have some thick accent because it's not like he has a place of origin that isn't the ground and do you expect them to make him flamboyant or something, because the actual series did that very little for Kars, because surprise he's generic as poo poo. Like I don't how you hear his JP voice and you're like "That's not a Japanese man doing voice acting." but an English voice somehow breaks your immersion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think you're vastly overblowing my reaction of 'kars is like one of the few voices i don't much care for', beefanator

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just don't know why this is a thing worth bringing up because you should already know Kars is not going to be a standout member of the cast personality wise so it's not like they're going to have something for him in the dub either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's okay. We're all JoJos here. Let's be smart and bring it off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i am a fan of jojo's bizarre adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
as am i

I'm gonna go ahead and try to list any notable character voices I hear.

Dario - Steve Kramer
George - Kaiji Tang I lied, it's probably Marc Diraison
Jonathan - Johnny Yong Bosch
Dio - Patrick Seitz
Erina - Michelle Ruff

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 1, 2015