Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope this game is good.

As do I, but Korean MMO devs have never really filled me with confidence when it comes to making games that didn't make me want to weep from the terrible grinding.

Baldbeard posted:

Maybe if I break a bunch of gear overupgrading on RO the rng god will spare me. I want in.

Do it with normal ores if you're feeling brave. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Applied for the beta. Her'es hoping I get this

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

Ahh!

I got into the beta.

I'M SO EXCITED!

Keys are going out today~ within the next 5 hours check your email/check their website!

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

drat, doesn't look like I was lucky enough :smith:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

A cool goon in IRC gave me a key, thanks bro! :buddy:

Looking forward to playing with you all! :)

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Been playing the korean beta for the last two days now and with regards to stamina, I can honestly say I haven't used a single pill on this character. I'm level 61 and melee, with no jump or teleport skills. And 300 ping. Against bosses that rape melee.

So I'm not sure what you're griping so hard about. It's not that bad a mechanic.

Anyway key points to take away from my experience so far:

- Talk to every NPC you see. He may have quests and they are real easy and great exp.
- If you're not into grouping, kill everything and try to stay like 10 levels above your area. It's not that hard.
- Blue-blinking monsters give 1-2 levels worth of experience. If you have to run across the room flailing your weapon like a mad person to get at one of these guys, do it.
- Blue-blinking monsters can also just be some idiot cleric who hexed it. There's a difference.
- Gold/white-blinking monsters are loot piñatas.
- Exp is shared between people who hit monsters. More people = less exp, so try and get away from player packs. Or group with them.
- Boss monsters will rotate/follow for a few seconds between each attack. This is your chance to smack at them. You get a feel for it after a while.
- Some monsters are weak against slashing (swords), some monsters are weak against blunt (maces), some against piercing (arrows, barbarians), fire/ice/lightning/etc. Learn their weaknesses and exploit them. Swordsman has a passive skill especially for this purpose (weapon swap). So far I've done exceptionally well running with both a mace and a sword.
- Talk to your class guy and learn your passives!
- Use anvils (potion shop) to upgrade items. Upgrading doesn't seem to fail as far as I can tell, but it gets hella expensive after +3. Like +1 = 300g, +2 = 800g, +3 = 1500g, +4 = 9000g, +5 = 18000g.
- Sit down (insert) and use gem crafting to combine gems into bigger gems.
- The auction house interface is like... But if you can stomach it you can find really cheap items there. People will sell stuff at 100g over vendor price. Idiots.
- You are locked into whatever class you pick, they make very sure of telling you this, so be sure before you hit OK. Therefore we can deduce there may or may not be cash shop items to reset skill points within your class, but there most likely will not be cash shop items to reset your class tree.
- If you find a good grind spot, exploit the gently caress out of it. There areas scattered all over where easy monsters spawn in huge packs.

I'll add more if I think of it.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

We did it bois. Now we wait.

Also make sure to join #treeofsavior on SynIRC for cool chats about this cool game.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
I did not get a key

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lotophage posted:

I did not get a key

i got a key, i signed up on the 29th.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone confirm if the combat is just you making GBS threads out a ton of hits at once or if there's a class that does? Was the thing I liked about RO.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

does this game have a tutorial? I haven't ragnarok'd in years so I have no idea what I'll be doing here.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Lotophage posted:

I did not get a key

I'm hoping they just give fan sites a billion keys to give away like most betas these days.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If anyone has a spare key I'm a buyer~

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

pertinent posted:

- Exp is shared between people who hit monsters. More people = less exp, so try and get away from player packs. Or group with them.
Why do MMO devs still do this?

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
I'm looking for a key, willing to trade for something on steam up to $30, ID is ossunikku. PM me on steam.

One of my pubbie friends who said he had an email actually didn't get in, so it's not worth buying for me. If I get a different key maybe I'll try to buy one for him.

Maybe I could if it's less.

Nevermind, everything worked out.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 1, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

No key, ah well

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Rather than ask for a key, I'd like to instead request that someone stream this on twitch.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Did not get a key. Will pay 50€ for one or send nudes.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
I didn't get a key either. :(

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Gandor posted:

Rather than ask for a key, I'd like to instead request that someone stream this on twitch.

I'll be streaming on Monday when its up.

http://twitch.tv/mumphster feel free to follow and get notified when my stream is up

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks, I look forward to it.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Looks like my good luck streak with getting into betas ran out with this game, sad days.

looking forward to seeing some streams though.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
I'm open to the idea of someone giving me a key at no cost, thanks in advance.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.

GlenQuagmire posted:

More impressions:
Stamina sucks. I don't see the point, really. Okay, so occasionally you have to smack an orb that randomly appears in the battlefield, otherwise you slow to a crawl. Why even bother, really? It's annoying if you run into an area that has a boss fight and then suddenly realize, gee, I'm out of stamina! Guess that's a game over!

Jump attacks + normal hit. Yeah, it's still here. Mages especially benefit from this, so basically I've been bunny hopping the entire time (pyromancer). I don't know what the devs want to do about this, but it's too much button mashing for what is a clear advantage. They might as well make it so you can walk and fire a normal shot at the same time.

Cooldowns. Yeah, I know it's early in the game. But being only able to effectively use new skills once per minute sucks. It's horrid and makes the game pretty boring if all you can do for the first 10 hours of gameplay is pretty much just normal attacks!

The scenery is beautiful. Breathtaking. You can really see how much love and effort they poured into the art and backgrounds, but the combat right now seems a bit lacking. I realize that when I get super high and have multiple class tiers under my belt there will be more skills than I know what to do with, but early game is such a chore.

Ahhh, sounds like RO at its finest

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Bah, forgot to sign up. Hopefully they offer more signups soon.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Also if you don't like stamina, I did find this gem of a cash shop item:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
that doesn't looks promising

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
Hopefully they let us get stamina drinks another way. Anyone know when the NA retail release is coming? I did not get into the beta and I can't find any details on ToS' retail release.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

For what it's worth, I haven't played the game myself but all the streamers I've watched didn't seem to have huge issues with stamina

Gruknor posted:

Hopefully they let us get stamina drinks another way. Anyone know when the NA retail release is coming? I did not get into the beta and I can't find any details on ToS' retail release.

We don't know anything about actual release in any region. Best guess is not for a while

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

No key for me either, time to live vicariously through you guys streaming

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Dackel posted:

No key for me either, time to live vicariously through you guys streaming

Please show me a game that is worth playing, so I can finally quit my Ragnarok addiction.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Okay so when you're enchanting items, up to +5 is just buy the anvil item and enchant away. Above +5 you have a chance of failing. If you fail, it eats a Potential point (items have potential points) and resets it to rank 0. Expect +6 and above to get expensive real fast.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

pertinent posted:

Okay so when you're enchanting items, up to +5 is just buy the anvil item and enchant away. Above +5 you have a chance of failing. If you fail, it eats a Potential point (items have potential points) and resets it to rank 0. Expect +6 and above to get expensive real fast.

Wouldn't be an asian MMO without this (+5 for "free" is super generous)

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Dackel posted:

Wouldn't be an asian MMO without this (+5 for "free" is super generous)

Free as in it still costs a good deal of money to get up there, but yeah. Usually it's only +3 or so. But on the other hand I have no idea what the maximum is. There could be many, many levels of failure to go through. Introducing cash shop item Auto-Enchanter Mk.IX?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

pertinent posted:

Free as in it still costs a good deal of money to get up there, but yeah. Usually it's only +3 or so. But on the other hand I have no idea what the maximum is. There could be many, many levels of failure to go through. Introducing cash shop item Auto-Enchanter Mk.IX?

I want to know who it will be that finds out about a maximum (without datamining) and how many resources they spent getting there.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So like, what is the point of stamina? Even if it's not a big issue, what does it do? Is it a resource for skills or something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stamina allows you to keep running and is particularly important in boss fights. Having no stamina makes you a sitting duck for most attacks and turns bosses from a cakewalk to impossible in some cases.

Its a resource basically, one that is recovered on the field by breaking crystals or by consuming potions bought from NPCs or created by players.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I thought they said it was there to stymie bots, but if you can just buy the potions then idk. :confused:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Silento posted:

I thought they said it was there to stymie bots, but if you can just buy the potions then idk. :confused:

Well it makes bots a little more annoying to run I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Silento posted:

pay2bot? :shrug:

• Locked thread