Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Check out this cool fan theory: there was no mum at all. Rick has literally created the whole family to not feel alone and to keep himself somewhat in check.

Or maybe he's killed Beth's real parents, who were complete strangers, and now pretends to be her dad out of remorse.

Those are some theories that I theorycrafted.

That's kind of what he's doing right now. He left his (presumably) real biological daughter with Jerry and Summer (his biological grand-daughter) to eek out an existence on Cronanberg Earth. After his current Earth's Rick and Morty died, he now pretends to be this Earth's father/grandfather to Beth and Summer. Granted he doesn't have to pretend all that much, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Garfu posted:

Just watched all 3 episodes again last night. I really like the attention to detail, like the background gag of the Meseeks disappearing when the alien won the pinball game at BLIPS N CHITZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

Yeah I love that attention to detail as well.

e X posted:

That makes sense and fits very well with how I see Dan Harmon at least. I think Space Cadet Omoly is way overthinking it.

I agree, but they're cool theories to roll around in the noggin, right? Also, nice avatar. :cool:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I figure they'll explore the Beth's mother angle just as soon as they come up with a really incredible episode to build around it. Might be never, might be next episode. At this stage I have much faith in the show so I'm down with whatever decision they choose to make.

My theory is that whatever the truth is, Jerry knows. I'm basing this off the "Threatened to tell Beth" checkbox on Jerry's daycare form.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Garfu posted:

Just watched all 3 episodes again last night. I really like the attention to detail, like the background gag of the Meseeks disappearing when the alien won the pinball game at BLIPS N CHITZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!

Along the same lines, Jerry grabs the frozen alien that Rick defrosts at the beginning of the episode when he's looking for the weedwacker.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The episode just made me want to go out with a planet hivemind of hot redhead aliens.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The episode just made me want to go out with a planet hivemind of hot redhead aliens.

while your dad watches approvingly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Funkmaster General posted:

Also, forgive me if this is getting a little too :filez: or whatever, but was this leak way lower quality than the first two or did I find a lovely copy? Just curious since that suggests it leaked from a different source.

Given all the other crazy promotional things that's been done for this show I wouldn't be overly surprised to find out that the 'leaks' are an elaborate prank played on internet pirates. The leaked version of ep 4 will be almost unwatchable (but you'll all sit through it anyway) and the ep5 leak will be a specially altered episode with a fake ending which is so lovely it totally ruins the show for everyone who pirates it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Given all the other crazy promotional things that's been done for this show I wouldn't be overly surprised to find out that the 'leaks' are an elaborate prank played on internet pirates. The leaked version of ep 4 will be almost unwatchable (but you'll all sit through it anyway) and the ep5 leak will be a specially altered episode with a fake ending which is so lovely it totally ruins the show for everyone who pirates it.

"uh actually that was the best episode"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You know what will prevent piracy? Giving people who pirate the show a super secret ending created especially for them!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

Also, forgive me if this is getting a little too :filez: or whatever, but was this leak way lower quality than the first two or did I find a lovely copy? Just curious since that suggests it leaked from a different source.

The copy I found was in 1080p and was like 900mb.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the copy I got was 1080p. Maybe we should compare notes and figure out if Funkmaster General's copy is the "you must be a real fan to suffer through this crap" version he got has easter eggs or not...mostly because I can't imagine leak quality in 2015 being worse than the first two episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the version I saw was no different in quality to any other iTunes or similar purchases.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Irish Joe posted:

You know what will prevent piracy? Giving people who pirate the show a super secret ending created especially for them!

I was high as hell and had a post written up suggesting the leaks could have a super secret different ending, but then I came to the same conclusion as you and slowly sobbed as I deleted every single character before closing the tab.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

I'm pretty sure all the leaks were downloaded directly from the Adult Swim servers which were streaming the ones that are supposed to air.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
how are there multiple mortys and ricks? In the daycare episode, there are tons of ricks and mortys that drop off Jerrys. Why would all these rick and mortys exist in the same universe? Is there some kind of critical moment that makes all these rick and mortys exist? I need to re-watch the council of ricks episode to see if there are any answers. I get that Rick can travel thru maybe both time and different dimensions, so is there like maybe a common universe that all the ricks hang out in? Like in Universe 1-A all the Ricks gather because they can get away with all their weird science stuff and once all these different Ricks just start showing up they just have to cohabit the same universe.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No Luck Needed posted:

how are there multiple mortys and ricks? In the daycare episode, there are tons of ricks and mortys that drop off Jerrys. Why would all these rick and mortys exist in the same universe?

Maybe there's only one day care center for every 1000 Rick and Mortys. Basic logic would suggest that while Rick and Morty can exist without a Jerry day care center, a Jerry day care center cannot exist without a Rick and Morty. Thus there will always be more Rick and Mortys than there are Jerry day care centers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

No Luck Needed posted:

how are there multiple mortys and ricks? In the daycare episode, there are tons of ricks and mortys that drop off Jerrys. Why would all these rick and mortys exist in the same universe? Is there some kind of critical moment that makes all these rick and mortys exist? I need to re-watch the council of ricks episode to see if there are any answers. I get that Rick can travel thru maybe both time and different dimensions, so is there like maybe a common universe that all the ricks hang out in? Like in Universe 1-A all the Ricks gather because they can get away with all their weird science stuff and once all these different Ricks just start showing up they just have to cohabit the same universe.

I kinda wondered this too... In season two, ep 2,, we didn't really see any other Ricks and Mortys at the arcade, yet we hear that another pair of Rick and Morty spent all day there and didn't get involved with... fart.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:
I just checked episode 2 and Rick says Jerryboree™ is on a "totally unregistered cross-temporal asteroid" which must mean something like "this spacerock exists across dimensions and is as great a spot to deal in illegal space guns as it is to leave your dad so we can go to an arcade"

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
like the machine that counts two dots; there is only ever suppose to be one dot. Like Rick is so use to there being other Ricks, Rick made a machine to count the number of Ricks. A Rickmometer, along some kind of Rickter scale, and one more bad pun for the rule of comedy three

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

No Luck Needed posted:

like the machine that counts two dots; there is only ever suppose to be one dot. Like Rick is so use to there being other Ricks, Rick made a machine to count the number of Ricks. A Rickmometer, along some kind of Rickter scale, and one more bad pun for the rule of comedy three

It takes readings from the Rickmosphere.

qntm posted:

I figure they'll explore the Beth's mother angle just as soon as they come up with a really incredible episode to build around it. Might be never, might be next episode. At this stage I have much faith in the show so I'm down with whatever decision they choose to make.

My theory is that whatever the truth is, Jerry knows. I'm basing this off the "Threatened to tell Beth" checkbox on Jerry's daycare form.

I think it's more likely that was referring to telling Beth about the daycare.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NowonSA posted:

I think it's more likely that was referring to telling Beth about the daycare.

I think it's even more likely that it was referring to telling Beth about whatever questionable, possibly illegal adventures Rick was taking their son on. Dropping him off at the daycare for threatening to tell her about the daycare seems...counter-productive?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Last Chance posted:

I kinda wondered this too... In season two, ep 2,, we didn't really see any other Ricks and Mortys at the arcade, yet we hear that another pair of Rick and Morty spent all day there and didn't get involved with... fart.

The daycare is a location either outside Rick C137's universe or at a spot within it to which many other Ricks take their Jerrys. It is a relative rarity among universes. The arcade exists in C137's universe, and exists in the universes of many other Ricks. All the Ricks go to the same daycare, and all the Ricks have their own Blips and Chits.

Alternately: Don't Think About It.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think it's even more likely that it was referring to telling Beth about whatever questionable, possibly illegal adventures Rick was taking their son on. Dropping him off at the daycare for threatening to tell her about the daycare seems...counter-productive?

Those are the Jerries that don't come back

Alternatively those Jerries get drugged up like crazy

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I think it's even more likely that it was referring to telling Beth about whatever questionable, possibly illegal adventures Rick was taking their son on.

Yeah it's surely this.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I can't read this thread title anymore without hearing the echo from second-dot-Rick.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Last Chance posted:

The copy I found was in 1080p and was like 900mb.

First ones I got had good picture but audio was hosed

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

First ones I got had good picture but audio was hosed

Not exactly hosed, there were dual audio tracks and the first one was Russian I think, and the second was English.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

in australia the adultswim website doesnt even acknowledge that rick and morty exists

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I pirate it. just as god intended

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rick has pirated millions of TV channels. He would have pirated his own show, too.

Watch it on Adult Swim if you can, though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Pirated the gently caress out of it. Still watched ep 1 twice on TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Paladinus posted:

Watch it on Adult Swim if you can, though.

Despite the pleas from show makers to watch their shows on TV, it really only matters if the Nielson households watch as they're the only ones that are officially monitored (although I guess if you have a cable or TV service that tracks your every move that you haven't opted out of, that'd be a good thing too). They're just not allowed to say that.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I don't pay attention to advertising, regardless. And when I do it's more likely to make me want to specifically avoid a product.

I'd be doing you guys a favor by NOT watching your show.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Just rewatched Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind; only just noticed Cronenberg Rick and Morty in the background in the Citadel of Ricks. God I love the detail in this show :allears:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I can't even watch it in England legally thanks to geoblocks and lovely antiquated licensing laws designed by a bunch of rich cunts who want to suck the joy from the young like vampires.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Megaspel posted:

I can't even watch it in England legally thanks to geoblocks and lovely antiquated licensing laws designed by a bunch of rich cunts who want to suck the joy from the young like vampires.

But think of all the wonderful episodes of The Catherine Tate Show your tax dollars funded.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

Despite the pleas from show makers to watch their shows on TV, it really only matters if the Nielson households watch as they're the only ones that are officially monitored (although I guess if you have a cable or TV service that tracks your every move that you haven't opted out of, that'd be a good thing too). They're just not allowed to say that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the networks monitored torrents and used them as a metric, as well. Wouldn't be that hard to do. Just keep tabs on how many times things have been torrented and track those #s over time and you will get a sense of what the 13-25 year old male demographic is into.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

But think of all the wonderful episodes of The Catherine Tate Show your tax dollars funded.

As an animator, what infuriates me most is that the only animation the BBC funds is loving Fraochy Bay that looks like it was made by a teenage flash animator in the 90's.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Did anyone else feel like the whole bit about distress beacons at the beggining of episode 3 was a reference to FTL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

babypolis posted:

Did anyone else feel like the whole bit about distress beacons at the beggining of episode 3 was a reference to FTL?

I think it's just a generic trope that FTL utilizes as well. I remember a bunch of abandoned ship distress beacon missions from the Mass Effect games too. Almost every sci-fi adventure series has some bit where a ship in distress is stumbled upon.

Isn't there an episode of Firefly from the reverse perspective, where they float around for a few days with their beacon on?

• Locked thread