Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Technically if you look on the disposable diaper packaging you are supposed to flush the poop down the toilet before throwing the diaper. That way the poop goes through the water treatment process and doesn't do bad things to land and water as it sits in landfills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Welp. I'm just going to have to unapologetically be a bad person on this one, cause gently caress all that noise.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah, I can't either. They say not to rinse em, though. I'm not sure exactly how we're going to manage this.

We had a diaper service that also told us not to rinse. When I questioned them further it turned out that they did want us dumping the poo poo into the toilet, which in my son's case at the time meant I rinsed them with a sprayer because it was long before he was creating anything remotely solid and turd-like. They never said word one to me about my hosing the poop out. I think when they said "no rinsing", they meant to discourage people from doing wierdness with wet pails full of bleach-water. They wanted to control what cleaning products were used on their diapers.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Not to judge your already established cloth diapering routine, but once you've rinsed it off in the toilet (I actually put a sink sprayer in my bathroom just for this purpose, it was slick!), you've now done the worst part. Just dump them in a bucket and wash them yourself, save $100/mo.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
We wash our own cloth diapers in a 2nd washing machine. It works pretty well.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I did a quick Google and the diaper services here cost 60-80 a week depending on diapers. Where are you guys only paying $100 a month?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I wash our diapers every 2-3 days. They sit in a open laundry basket lined with a waterproof pail liner until it's laundry time. I haven't noticed a problem with smell. Baby is still ebf so that helps with the smell too.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

sheri posted:

I did a quick Google and the diaper services here cost 60-80 a week depending on diapers. Where are you guys only paying $100 a month?

We do prefolds and Illinois? Most are like $25/week and charge by the week, roughly. I guess we may end up considering that we're most of the way there as far as washing diapers, my wife is not all too enthusiastic about washing em but personally if I do it myself it doesn't bother me.

I'll probably have to ask about rinsing them off, because I can't imagine why we wouldn't. TBD next week when we swap diaper services I suppose.

Separately: my daughter has gone from barely crawling to crawling fast and pulling herself up without assistance + cruising. Are there any particular good toys for her to play with to encourage her standing up? Is it even worth a toy? She's 7 months, so she's too small to pull up onto most things but is still trying anyway.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2015

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We have something like this but from target. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836/

Our first walked all over the house with a push cart. Our 2nd is 10 months old and likes pushing it around but doesn't know how to turn it yet.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't know what the official name, but they look like little walkers for babies. If you have a decent second hand baby store near you go grab one from there. Its one of those toys that are super handy when they need them but most people get rid of them once their kids can walk.

Edit: I don't mean the ones where they sit in. There's ones they lean on and push.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
At home after a long day of work, getting stressed, with the neighbors making noise while I rush prepping dinner for my wife and our almost-4-year-old son. I thought he must have realized I was getting stressed when he walked to the fridge and asked: "Would you like a beer, dad?". Turns out he really likes the free Red Truck bottle opener we got last week and looks for any excuse to use it.

Which brings me to what I wanted to ask. Beer, or more generally, alcoholic drinks. Our son sometimes asks to taste our beer/wine and the most we've done is to let him dip a fingertip in and taste it, while explaining to him that it's an adult drink that has alcohol, which he can't have because it is not good for him.

A few months back I saw my cousin's husband give their 3.5 y/o some of his beer right from the bottle, and I sort of cringed. But then I remembered that when I was ~4 my dad would give me a sip of his beer/wine when I asked what he was drinking, nothing bad happened to me.

Are we being too :cop: and is not that big of a deal? How do you guys handle this, at what age did you, or will you, give your kid his first sip of beer/wine?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

rgocs posted:

Are we being too :cop: and is not that big of a deal? How do you guys handle this, at what age did you, or will you, give your kid his first sip of beer/wine?

There are addiction issues on both sides of our families, so I am going to try to keep everything out of their hands as long as I can. I am not going to ban it (I drink in front of my kids on occasion) but I will make sure they understand there are consequences to drinking/smoking/etc. Just like naughty words, the drinks are for big kids and when they are adults they can enjoy adult stuff.

But my kids are 4, 2 and 1 so things will certainly change when the oldest starts negotiating with us over everything and is exposed to other kids in elementary school and I will realize I have no idea what I am doing.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

rgocs posted:

But then I remembered that when I was ~4 my dad would give me a sip of his beer/wine when I asked what he was drinking, nothing bad happened to me.
When I was 4 I used to ride on the hump in the middle of the station wagon with no seatbelt and hold dad's beer for him. Even though I did it, I don't let my kids do any of that stuff, either. My humble opinion is that once they're at college and I don't know about it, they can do what they want, but I don't give my 5 year old tastes of things I don't want her to become accustomed to.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

photomikey posted:

When I was 4 I used to ride on the hump in the middle of the station wagon with no seatbelt and hold dad's beer for him. Even though I did it, I don't let my kids do any of that stuff, either.
Yes, this was my reasoning too. I remember being in the back of the station wagon unbuckled playing around with my brothers while my mom drove us around. No way I take the hand brake off on the car if my son is not properly strapped on his child seat.

photomikey posted:

My humble opinion is that once they're at college and I don't know about it, they can do what they want, but I don't give my 5 year old tastes of things I don't want her to become accustomed to.
On the other hand, isn't it better for them to get to know what it is and what it tastes like from us, their parents, at home, rather than from other kids in the park or the back of the school? Though yeah, this may be more important during their early teens.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

But my kids are 4, 2 and 1 so things will certainly change when the oldest starts negotiating with us over everything and is exposed to other kids in elementary school and I will realize I have no idea what I am doing.

Reminds me of a story about my uncle. When my cousins were around 13 y/o the party/alcohol negotiating started. So, he got some beer and a bottle of tequila and had a "party" at home with them, got them really drunk. He argued that he wasn't going to be able to stop them drinking with their friends, and he rather have them learn what being drunk is like at home overlooked by him, rather than at some shady party.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 30, 2015

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I let my kids taste red wine when they were about 10, mainly because the face they made when they realised how disgusting alcohol tastes was really funny.

My two year old tried to get hold of her dads glass of whisky the other night too, we stopped her but to be honest I think if she had got hold of it it wouldn't have given her a taste for whisky so much as a fear or amber coloured liquids.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

rgocs posted:

My parents were similar to yours, and I apparently loved having a sip of Mum or Dad's 'beard' when I was little. But that's all it was - a small sip.

My Dad is half Italian, and so from when I was maybe 10? I was allowed on the odd occasion to have a super small glass of wine with a dinner if that's what other people were drinking. When I was 12 my mum let me have a couple of white wine spritzers on NYE.

I think this is similar to what I'll do, as I really believe in demystifying alcohol. Though I still did the teenage thing of getting incredibly drunk at houseparties, I have never been one to drink with the intention of getting blackout drunk - which is something I've seen from a lot of other young people. Drinking isn't inherently bad, and I think that so long as you're sensible then it's something you can expose children to in a healthier environment than, as rgocs says, in some park or whatever.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
My step-dad used non-alcholic beer so he could say "You want one? Here!"

It didn't take more than one to decide neither me nor my 3 siblings liked beer.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Reminds me of a story about my uncle. When my cousins were around 13 y/o the party/alcohol negotiating started. So, he got some beer and a bottle of tequila and had a "party" at home with them, got them really drunk. He argued that he wasn't going to be able to stop them drinking with their friends, and he rather have them learn what being drunk is like at home overlooked by him, rather than at some shady party.

Sounds like something I did to my little brother prior to shipping off to Iraq for the first time. He wanted to "get drunk with his big brother at least once before he shipped off to war" in case I didn't come home and I hated the idea of him drinking (I was 20, he was 15 but it's what you did as a teen where we lived) so I got him absolutely hammered on some rum and jaeger. To this day he won't have more than a shot or two of alcohol and blames me entirely. Even though I spent two hours cleaning up his vomit so our mother wouldn't find it I think it was worth it.

Working dad here, going back to the issues presented over the last two pages:

My kids are 2 and 3 and, according to my wife, royal terrors. When I get home the house is guaranteed to be trashed with toys, loose diapers, pajamas, various pieces of clothing, etc. Usually I'll clean up the living room or at least organize it and then the wife and I alternate who's doing baths/putting the kids to bed on an every-other-day schedule. She does most of the cleaning work in the house because she's a neat freak but I help out where I can, then she gets me back in the end with a weekly list of yard work and heavy lifting that needs to be done over the weekend. We're in our middle ground and comfortable but it wasn't always peachy. Early on, about a year ago when they were both still in diapers and just generally being royal terrors to each other and the house, I would get pretty upset over some of the most basic things.

These days I only get upset when it's serious stuff like, "Why are they in the kitchen, in the cabinet under the sink, throwing bottles of cleaner and dish soap around?" or "There is a 4' tall rendition of elsa and anna that's been painted using makeup in the toy room.. why was the bedroom/bathroom door even open in the first place?" Things I would expect her to keep in check since our youngest absolutely loves to get into our bathroom and dump out any and all bottles she can get her hands on, usually smearing the contents through her hair in the process or covering her hair, body and clothes in lotion. The oldest gets the makeup, paints her face up like she's been cast on Jersey Shore and then proceeds to draw on the walls with whatever makeup is left over.

gently caress.. That poo poo drives me nuts because it's a bitch to get off the walls and the paint matching service at Lowes has been pretty sub par lately.

I am also terrified of leaving them in the care of another person that's not family. Someone help me get over this so that I can get at least one of them into daycare for a few hours a day, 2-3 days a week.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

rgocs posted:

Both my kids have had drinks of beer here and there. They really seem to have taste for it when they're toddler/preschooler it seems, and then it stops. 7 year old doesn't like beer [anymore] and stopped asking for drinks of ours a while back, but 4 year old still asks sometimes. They first got a sip...age 3 maybe? I'd give them a sip of beer if they asked, and then just say that beer was a grown up drink and they could have a little bit to taste, but too much will hurt kid tummies. It's really been a non-issue. Once, when 7 year old was younger, he took a sip of my red wine and told me my juice was bad. :3: No more interest in wine after that. Years later, he even told 4 year old that "wine" was sour juice that mom and dad drink and it was gross--don't drink it on accident, gross wine juice is in a fancy glass, glass, and regular juice is in regular cups.

Honestly, I don't see what actual, physical harm a little drink of beer or wine here or there would do for a child. (In other other countries, I believe, children may drink a small beer or wine with the family meal, and it's no big deal.)

And I too totally remember having my own little beer poured in a jelly jar glass when I was about 5 or so, from my Dad. I also remember drinking a tall glass of lemonade that I got all by myself from the pitcher in the fridge, and both my parents looking rather pale and unhappy when they saw. (But I didn't spill it Mom!) Made me a sandwich, and told me to go lay down for a bit. Turned out, it was whiskey sours. ;) PS--I was no worse for the wear. I don't remember after seeing their faces, but Mom said that I ate my sandwich and took a nap, and was fine afterwards. Also about 5.

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 30, 2015

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

LCL-Dead posted:

I am also terrified of leaving them in the care of another person that's not family. Someone help me get over this so that I can get at least one of them into daycare for a few hours a day, 2-3 days a week.

My 18 month old had been in daycare since she was 5 months. I'm lucky - it's my company's daycare center, so I knew a lot of people that used it before me. That helped a lot with the anxiety.

It's not perfect, but our daycare is way safer then our home. She also gets to do stuff like painting and water play without us having to clean up afterwards. I'm pretty sure she's eating better there then she would at home. Certainly more variety at least.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I personally plan on giving them a sip when they are 4-5 or whatever and they ask for it. My parents always let me have sips when I was a kid and then real glasses of wine when I was a teenager and I mostly found it gross but it made me see alcohol as something normal that you drink in moderation every now and then during special occasions or to relax during a hot summer afternoon. In most of Europe kids have a bit of wine during a nice dinner with families and it helps them develop and attitude toward alcohol that is very different from what most north Americans seem to have. It's not something you use for the sole purpose of "getting hosed up" and puke everywhere. It's not like you can keep alcohol away from them forever and they will eventually get hosed up so I think you might as well control their first experiences.

Not like it's wrong to keep them away from it completely either. I think both approaches are fine and people should probably not question themselves too much about "is it right" if they do one or the other.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 30, 2015

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My kids are 12 and 9, and pretty much always get a sip of whatever me or my husband is drinking. They also get a small amount of wine at holidays, heavily watered down. My oldest actually quite enjoys everything she's tasted, my youngest doesn't care for wine or beer but likes hard cider and mixed drinks. We've always made sure to explain to them not only that it was an adult beverage, but why: we've told them the alcohol can have bad effects on your liver and brain, and the smaller you are the easier it is for those organs to get hurt. They understand that this is true even for adults, and know that their dad and I never drink enough to hurt ourselves.

I grew up in an Italian household, so that's just the way I was raised and what my family has always done. The whole cultural attitude is different- when I was in Italy years ago they had no problems offering wine to my 13 year old sister and pregnant cousin, and were bewildered when they both turned it down. You can also get alcohol at the Autogrills there- those are basically like rest stops on the toll roads where the only way in or out is by car- so I'd imagine their attitudes towards drinking and driving are quite a bit different. But you also don't see people getting so rip roaring drunk that they end up puking in the streets like they do here in the US.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Same as most people have been saying. When I was teenaged I was allowed a little wine at holidays and a small cordial of schnapps on Christmas.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My mom has told me stories about one of my uncles and how they used to find him passed out behind the couch because he would steal open beers and drink them when he was 4-6 years old.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ugh, I was drinking a beer in the backyard with my neighbor, and I set it down to flip some burgers and my 2 year old swiped it and took a sip. For the rest of the night be was following me around, saying "beer" "beer" instead of "milk", "milk". I guess it was his birthday, so it was OK. Sort of.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't know what it is with toddlers. I drink my coffee black and he begs me to drink some of it. If I leave my mug sitting around with some left over, cold coffee he'll chug it down. The nice taco I made him for lunch? gently caress that noise! Tantrum time!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks for everyone who pitched in on their views on alcoholic drinks. It's nice to see other people's thoughts on it.

Alterian posted:

I don't know what it is with toddlers. I drink my coffee black and he begs me to drink some of it. If I leave my mug sitting around with some left over, cold coffee he'll chug it down. The nice taco I made him for lunch? gently caress that noise! Tantrum time!

Mine will ask for a taste of my coffee, try it and proclaim it was good while making a :wtf: face.

He also likes to try hot/spicy stuff, though sometimes he punches above his weight. The other day he saw me getting some rather potent hot sauce and said he wanted to try, I explained it was a too hot and would he rather try the milder one. No, he wanted that. I saw a tantrum coming so thought, gently caress it, here you go, drop on my finger and onto his tongue. Surprisingly he did not cry, he just went red like a ripe tomato, stuck his tongue out and started scratching it as if it trying to get the hot out, until I helped him out with some yogurt. He still said it was good, but did refuse seconds when offered.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Hah- coffee is another thing my kids love. My oldest got her first taste at just over a year old- unintentionally of course. We were at a local festival so I had her in a front carrier, I was so busy trying to navigate the crowds I didn't realize she had leaned forward to start sucking on the straw for my Starbucks frappucino until I heard nummy noises. She started asking for and drinking coffee regularly in Kindergarten at breakfast, I'd make her a "caffe latte" which was about 1/4 coffee and 3/4 milk. Now that she's in middle school she drinks it black. They only get regular in the mornings, if we get coffee anytime after lunch I always make sure they have decaf.

I dunno, I guess I just never really restricted what my kids could or couldn't eat- if they wanted to try something I never told them "you probably won't like it", I just let them at it. Now they eat the weirdest poo poo, like lemons. Seriously, we went to the grocery store and let the kids pick out what fruit they wanted, they come back with a bag of lemons. They slice it up and put salt on it before eating it like an orange. My oldest even eats the peel sometimes. But it's awesome in that we can take them out to any restaurant we want and they'll be gung ho for it. They love pho, goat curry, and sushi (actual fish sushi, not just veg stuff like california rolls). We're considering a trip to Italy next year and my kids are all excited, saying"I'M GOING TO EAT ALL THE THINGS"- which apparently includes horse, since my oldest found out that they eat it over there.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

sullat posted:

Ugh, I was drinking a beer in the backyard with my neighbor, and I set it down to flip some burgers and my 2 year old swiped it and took a sip. For the rest of the night be was following me around, saying "beer" "beer" instead of "milk", "milk". I guess it was his birthday, so it was OK. Sort of.

Toddlers love beer. I don't know what it is about it. Since they're taste buds are more sensitive, maybe it's sweeter to them or something.

Marchegiana posted:

...I'd make her a "caffe latte" which was about 1/4 coffee and 3/4 milk.

...But it's awesome in that we can take them out to any restaurant we want and they'll be gung ho for it. They love pho, goat curry, and sushi (actual fish sushi, not just veg stuff like california rolls).

:hfive: Yep! This is us too. We're coffee people, and my kids looooove it; I do the same sort of thing--a little CoffeeMate, a lot of milk, a little splash of coffee. I seem to recall picking up my full blown coffee habit around middle school as well. It was certainly in full swing by HS.

My kids also love pho, curry, sushi, etc...it's how we go out to eat, and it's what I cook (except sushi; that's a special occasion thing to make at home. Oldest requested it for his birthday meal this past spring.) I think their favorite restaurant is the Thai place up the street (with Mexican places a close second.) My oldest, when he was about two-three, would call smoked salmon "fish ham", as he was stuffing his face with it. :3: They also have been eating wasabi peas since toddlerdom.

I think the key is to just feed them stuff, all sorts of stuff, from the moment it's safe for them to have it (teeth, past one year old, etc...)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My kid has been eating pretty much exactly the same things we did from about 8 months old. (Aside from honey...that was after 1 year).

Babies, even without teeth (mine didn't get any until 9 months) can eat a lot more then people think. We never did baby cereal or pureed foods. He did great.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

My oldest, when he was about two-three, would call smoked salmon "fish ham", as he was stuffing his face with it. :3:

My nephew called it ham-fish too, when we found him sitting on the kitchen floor at Christmas, merrily chomping slices of the hand-smoked stuff from Ireland. It was cute, but at £25 for 250g of the stuff, it was a really expensive kind of cute.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Regarding alcohol, I grew up mostly in a household that didn't have any, so it wasn't even really an issue. As an adult, one of thing that still surprises me is how much people drink and talk about drinking, especially as I drink rarely and don't like beer.

My wife, on the other hand, likes beers and drinks maybe one a week with dinner. Right now, we're calling it "mama juice" or "adult juice" and haven't given in to sharing any with the kids. But sooner or later, I'm sure we will, and will intentionally pick one that they're most likely to dislike.

When they start getting into the drunk-at-parties phase, though (not that I ever did those), my policy is one that a friend of mine from college had with his parents. I will tell my kids something to the effect of "If you're at a party and you're drinking, do not get into a car with a drunk driver. If you've been drinking and want to come home, just call, and one of us will come pick you up, no questions asked. It is far more important to us that you don't drive drunk or encourage someone else to drive drunk than it is for you to not drink alcohol."

The whole of alcohol culture still baffles me a little, though. Who knows what my kids will do?

Regarding SAHPs: as the person who has a SAH for a wife, I do sometimes get a little frustrated with how little work appears to happen around the house. Messes don't get cleaned up, meetings with repairmen don't get made, dinners don't get cooked. But I also realize how much work it can sometimes be to keep two kids from killing themselves or each other during the day, and tend to keep my frustrations to myself. Though, that hasn't kept us from discussing them from time to time. Ultimately, it comes down to "kids are hard", and once we start getting the kids to school, my wife's time will free up immensely, and we both expect that she's going to be able to do more of those things around the house. Until then, we just live with a little (or a lot of) mess, and keep our heads down while trying to survive the first few years. We just have a little patience and give each other a little grace, and it will eventually work out.

We saw a list right after our first was born of some guidelines for parenting, and item number one was "Lower your standards for how clean your house should be". Item number two was "lower them further". Obviously, you don't want it to be unsafely unhygienic or anything, but it made an impression on us that it's okay if things just don't get put away all the time. Sure, it can be frustrating, but again, patience and grace.

Eventually, you'll get to the phase where you've memorized the latest Disney movie because that's all your kids ever watch. Until then, you've gotta be like Elsa and just Let It Go.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just have a beer after the kid is asleep.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My wife went back to work this week after her Maternity period, it's nice having money again.

That is until the nursery bill comes in for two children, rather than just one.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

greatn posted:

I just have a beer after the kid is asleep.

My husband sips a shot of nice whiskey or tequila during the kids' bathtime. The kids get to splash around a bit, he gets to relax with a tiny alcoholic drink, everyone is happy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'll be doing the SAHD thing for a few months while we get a new daycare. Last time I did this, the oldest was 1, now he's almost 4. And the youngest is 2. So this time will be very different.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sullat posted:

I'll be doing the SAHD thing for a few months while we get a new daycare. Last time I did this, the oldest was 1, now he's almost 4. And the youngest is 2. So this time will be very different.

I'm a stay at home parent to a 2 year old and 4 year old. The older one spends most of his time teaching his little sister how to do terrible things*, then also blames her for all the terrible things he does on his own because she can't deny it. Occasionally he spends a while throwing her about and strangling her while she laughs hysterically. It's enough to turn you to drink.

*By terrible I mean mainly climbing to dangerous places - especially the windowsill or over the stairgate.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

hookerbot 5000 posted:

*By terrible I mean mainly climbing to dangerous places - especially the windowsill or over the stairgate.

I read this as Stargate and thought to myself "True. I wouldn't my child playing with our Stargate either."

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ha, yeah, the oldest is already trying to get the youngest to pull the cat's tail and eat stuff from the ground. Good times. I've got a zoo membership and it comes with free visits to the Children's museum all September, so I might just camp out there for a bit. Otherwise, I dunno. When to kids start learning to read? Might have to try that.