Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
There's a lot to be excited about, but that Gonk upgrade in the Punishing One card fan is calling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I like how this card is a counter to heavily upgraded large ships, and they specifically call out the Falcon (aka Fat Han) in the description.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

I like how this card is a counter to heavily upgraded large ships, and they specifically call out the Falcon (aka Fat Han) in the description.

I saw this little gem, too.

quote:

Bounty Hunter's Guild

EPT. Scum Only. 3 Points.

At the beginning of the game before the "Set Dials" step, you may acquire a Target Lock on an enemy ship. When attacking a Target Locked ship, you may reroll attack dice without discarding your blue target lock token.You may not use the Target Lock action or acquire a new Target Lock if you already posses a blue target lock token.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen Rebels but the Gozanti carrier looks like pretty great fun, as does the new TIE Advance prototype. My bank account is going to be glad they're probably not going to hit until next year.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Ghost? This game keeps getting cooler with every expansion.

The Punishing One, while having been one of my favorite ship names from the expanded legacy universe still has one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

After looking over the stuff (and the disappointment of not having the Assault Gunboat yet :( ) most of the stuff is pretty good. The Punishing One having an asymmetrical maneuver dial is pretty goddamn interesting.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There is also a Punishing One title card that gives you an extra attack die....and it costs 12 points. That feels overcost, but I bet it will be fine, like the outrider plus whatever cannon combo.

Also, I hope the Assault Gunboat is the very last ship ever released just to troll people who never stop talking about wanting an Assault Gunboat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

enigmahfc posted:

Also, I hope the Assault Gunboat is the very last ship ever released just to troll people who never stop talking about wanting an Assault Gunboat.

That means we never stop talking about it though, do you really want that? :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That means we never stop talking about it though, do you really want that? :v:

....I didn't think that through very well....

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh c'mon, I'm not asking for much :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
OP updated with Wave 8 and Assault Carrier. Does the OP need anything else? It's been a while since I've even been able to play X-Wing :(

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

enigmahfc posted:

There is also a Punishing One title card that gives you an extra attack die....and it costs 12 points. That feels overcost, but I bet it will be fine, like the outrider plus whatever cannon combo.

A surprisingly accurate rule of thumb in X-Wing is that ships with two attack dice are bad and ships with 3 attack dice are good. I'd trade a Z-95 to make my squad's turreted anchor into a good ship. The Z would only have 2 attack dice, after all.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Pretty much anything that adds an attack die in this game comes at a high points cost or similarly high drawback. I guess the designers feel that an extra die is much more powerful than rerolls because they hand those out like candy.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Oh, i'm sure the cost is fine, it just feels so expensive.

And A-Wings are still awesome, even though they have 2 red dice

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

enigmahfc posted:

Oh, i'm sure the cost is fine, it just feels so expensive.

And A-Wings are still awesome, even though they have 2 red dice

That's because you should never let an A-wing be outside range 1, so you should always have 3 red dice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, should I buy a second copy of Rebel aces?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Are there any cards in it that you really want that badly?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, should I buy a second copy of Rebel aces?

You get a B-wing and an A-wing. At least half of that is literally always a good choice, and the other half isn't strictly terrible. I say go for it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chance II posted:

Pretty much anything that adds an attack die in this game comes at a high points cost or similarly high drawback. I guess the designers feel that an extra die is much more powerful than rerolls because they hand those out like candy.

Keep in mind that the title puts the ship up to Han costs and honestly Dengar has a pilot thing almost as good. Less HP, more green dice, different crew slots. The title is to make the ship scalable, and it's still considerably better than the Outer Rim Smuggler.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dengar also has a white 2-Segnor. That seems.... good.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Strobe posted:

Dengar also has a white 2-Segnor. That seems.... good.

2-sloop on a large ship is basically the same as a 3-sloop on a small, so it's pretty close to the same as the StarViper's maneuver, there. Having it as a white maneuver seems ridiculously useful. Is it white on both sides, or is it the asymmetrical bit?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I worry it'll make it a really predictable maneuver if it's the asymmetrical bit, but having the ability to do it in a pinch may not matter how predictable it is.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I worry it'll make it a really predictable maneuver if it's the asymmetrical bit, but having the ability to do it in a pinch may not matter how predictable it is.

Honestly you could probably double juke people knowing that. I don't think being asymmetrical is bad unless you get forced to the wrong side of the board.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Strobe posted:

If it's got a red sloop on the other side, I can see lots of opportunities to fake out opponents who rely on outthinking you with their arc-dodgers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Wave VIII has revitalised my enthusiasm for the game, because holy poo poo those ships all look totally loving cool!

Especially since Wave VII was kinda "meh" in my perspective. Sure, Bossk is cool and all, but the K-Wing, Kiraxscvzzsz and the Punisher don't really do it for me.

I am going to have a hard time waiting for these new plastic space toys. Especially since at Regionals I vowed to completely ignore the meta in favour of flying cool ships and having fun times.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Endman posted:

Especially since at Regionals I vowed to completely ignore the meta in favour of flying cool ships and having fun times.

Why would you want these ships when you have X-wings?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

Why would you want these ships when you have X-wings?

The X-Wing is rather boring to fly, in my experience.

I'd say the most fun ship to fly that I currently have in my list is either Echo, Lt Lorrir or Jake Farrel.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
^^^Aw I love Lorrir. He's a total waste of points but he's so cool.

I know that no one else probably cares about TIE fighter pilots, but the one they have up with the assault carrier seems pretty lame. 17 points, elite talent option, skill level 7 and he rolls an extra die if his target already has a damage card. I just can't imagine much use for that. Maybe long distance flanking I guess but a cheap interceptor or backstabber does that as well or better. His ability is actually worse because of his higher pilot skill too.

It's not like we really need more awesome TIE fighter pilots but they could do better than to make a Mithel but worse for the same price.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 1, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Holy gently caress the Inquisitor's ability. Always get 3 red dice, and always ignore the enemy's range defense bonus. Plus that title makes it pretty awesome, take a target lock for a free evade, then PTL for a barrel roll or a focus. Plus it has boost on the bar, which means autothrusters.

Goddamn.

Plus he's a high PS and only 25 points. Which puts the lowest ship at probably 14-15 base.

Compare that to the loving Syck. Plus you get boost, autothrusters potential. It's honestly the Imp fighter I've wanted to bridge the Interceptor gap while being slightly better than a fighter.

That plus new elite Fighter pilots with the epic ship....Unf. Elite swarm, yeah.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
17 points for a 3 red against anything with a high hull value isn't bad. The theme of Wave 8 is apparently "gently caress big ships" even though there are two big ships in it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Sure, big ships are cool but have been pretty dominant. Adding some stuff to help counter big/low ship count lists is cool, without being totally game breaking silver bullets.

Anything that helps ships get action economy is awesome against things like Dash/Corran. And I enjoy flying the hell out of Dash/Corran. But two ship lists have been top dog for over a year at this point. It's good to see them have a response that isn't blanket nerfs or something.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

The Gate posted:

Sure, big ships are cool but have been pretty dominant. Adding some stuff to help counter big/low ship count lists is cool, without being totally game breaking silver bullets.

Anything that helps ships get action economy is awesome against things like Dash/Corran. And I enjoy flying the hell out of Dash/Corran. But two ship lists have been top dog for over a year at this point. It's good to see them have a response that isn't blanket nerfs or something.

I agree with this. I do like that they're generally trying to fix problems to a point of balance, with new content, as opposed to yeah, errata or nerfs or whatever.

Plus it means more toy spaceships.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Veritek83 posted:

Plus it means more toy spaceships.

Simultaneously the thing I love most and dread most. Why don't you just send a pickpocket to come take my wallet, FFG? It'll be less agonizing to do it all at once.

But secretly I like it.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I think their idea is to outrun the meta by putting poo poo out so fast nothing can really stay static long enough for people to complain about balance.

I guess I don't entirely have a problem with this, though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like their current pace as it allows for the meta to fully mature. Any more and you have the blitz that happens in magic. The only thing wrong with the old magic set rotation was because of its nature, things rotated in huge blocks. Now they've made sure it remains a constant blitz throughout the year.

I don't want that to happen to x wing and I like how hearth stone does it that way as well.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
To celebrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VBoB5zuOFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQvjqzfsBg

Now I have to find an appropriate sized toilet.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
(My apologies if this was brought up, I'm on page 135 catching up)

Poopy Palpy posted:

The Great Heep is from the Droids cartoon from the 80s. The EU has always been consistently dumb.

No wait, you're even missing the most ridiculous part: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droid_harem
Droid. Harem. WHAT THE HELL.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Alright, so added a B wing and Tie Interceptor to the starter set, but my son still wants the Falcon. He's done a bunch of chores to earn it, so far be it from me to hold him back :)

Are there any other ships aside from Slave One to balance things out? It seems like the Rebels are ahead power-wise with the B wing, and having the Falcon on their side is going to be a killer.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The closest equivalent to the falcon is the decimator but two turret ships kinda takes the fun out of positioning. A phantom will boost your firepower if cloaking interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leongzanfa
Aug 20, 2012
I'm unclear on the new Inquisitor's card text, but does the defending ship get an extra green dice at range 3 against him?

• Locked thread