Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But this is a fairly auto-centric view. The problem from the bicyclist's point of view is exactly the same thing you call out. Because bicyclists accelerate and decelerate slowly, there's an obvious mechanical advantage to avoiding as many stops as possible, which is why there is exactly the tendency to not stop (particularly because, unlike a car, which hides the mechanical costs of accelerating and decelerating from the driver, the bicyclist has to deal with the acceleration every stop in a very physical way).

In other words, while demanding that bicyclists stop at every stop sign may be the most efficient mechanism in terms of traffic engineering, you neglect the human component of the equation in so far as a strict regime of enforcement disincentivizes bicycling to work with all the corresponding knock-on effects that induces (increased automobile traffic, etc.) while failing to decrease the undesired behavior much below an effective minimum (many bicyclists aren't going to just shape up because they're given tickets).

Yes, this is exactly why cyclist compliance with stops becomes an issue when enforcement lags.

However, it being a pain in the rear end to start from a complete stop really doesn't trump safety, which is the primary goal of all of this. You will never convince the engineers responsible for designing the bicycle facilities that trading off safety in exchange for a little convenience is a good solution.

Keep in mind that we're talking about city that already has an abundance of streets with 20%+ grades. The mechanical energy spent being made to stop at stop signs shouldn't even rate compared to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yes, this is exactly why cyclist compliance with stops becomes an issue when enforcement lags.

However, it being a pain in the rear end to start from a complete stop really doesn't trump safety, which is the primary goal of all of this. You will never convince the engineers responsible for designing the bicycle facilities that trading off safety in exchange for a little convenience is a good solution.

Keep in mind that we're talking about city that already has an abundance of streets with 20%+ grades. The mechanical energy spent being made to stop at stop signs shouldn't even rate compared to that.

So clearly draconian enforcement is the key?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Starting on a 20% grade is way harder than going from 5 mph. (Fun fact, this is why on certain steep hills in Berkeley, you will see 3 ways stops with everyone yielding to the party going up the hill.)

Also, your predictability thing goes away with an idaho stop. If a car is at the intersection, the bike stops. If no car, it is a yield sign. (I don't actually like the red light handling or an idaho stop for urbn areas, so we'll ignore that). If the laws are as such and followed, it will make no difference in predictability than stopping. It will just be less of a pain in the rear end.
Also, if traffic engineers would stop putting up loving stop signs loving everywhere, it would be less of an issue. Seriously, we have stop signs at loving roundabouts. The rest of the world gets on just fine with stop signs only at difficult intersections.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Which is why all this enforcement is happening at the Wiggle rather than anywhere else in the city, because it's apparently the main way to avoid those grades, but has all these stop signs that basically every bicyclist in the city apparently blows through when it seems safe instead since there are no good cross-town bicycle options! Huh!

EDIT: Safety is a good goal, but draconian enforcement can only go so far when actually doing something for bicyclists instead of attacking them and focusing on making traffic primarily safe for automobiles would probably get better compliance in the long run.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 1, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Also, if traffic engineers would stop putting up loving stop signs loving everywhere, it would be less of an issue. Seriously, we have stop signs at loving roundabouts. The rest of the world gets on just fine with stop signs only at difficult intersections.

I know, this drives me up the goddamn wall. And don't even get me started on the ways that city engineers gently caress up roundabouts. My god.

The old guard don't like alternating 2-way stop controlled intersections - as in, you stop every other block - because reasons (off-peak compliance, which I'm skeptical about), so stop signs go in everywhere. Even this whole complete streets thing is still very new to a lot of these guys who've been designing roads for decades and are used to treating sidewalks as totally optional outside of urban cores.

We have too many signs in general on our roadways, and studies have shown that your average driver pays attention to something dumb like 1 out of 5 (or 1/3, I forget exactly). So more signs aren't the solution. I'd love to rip a ton of them out; it's been done successfully in a few european cities, and tends to cause traffic calming, which is excellent for cyclists and pedestrians alike.

Having cyclists obey stops differently than other road users might be a good solution outside of peak traffic times, just like how motorcyclists can treat red lights as stop signs. But you start running into problems when this use case is dependent upon other vehicles in the intersection, because this becomes a judgement call. Maybe if it didn't apply if other vehicles were within 20 linear feet of the stop bar or something, or if peds were present at the curb ramps. Something unambiguous, you know?

But I doubt that these cops are ticketing cyclists doing this during lulls at 10 in the morning or 3 in the afternoon on residential side streets. They seem to be hitting busy intersections with lots of bike traffic.

Education is something that should be pushed harder too, especially since it's not like traffic enforcement is self-funding anyway. But if you really want to make the roads safer for cyclists, push your city council for more traffic calming implementation. Plentiful roadside trees and angled on-street parking are both excellent ways to slow cars the hell down; not speed humps/tables though - those slow down emergency response vehicles.

Finally, read up on road diets, aka converting travel lanes into other things (like bike/ped paths and strip parks). They do more to incentivize alternate travel modes and get cars off the road than any number of HOV lanes and bike awareness campaigns. Basically, they work by making the marginal cost of traveling via car more time-expensive, so people pick other modes if possible. However, the main barrier to them is pushback from the public. People love their drat cars.

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 1, 2015

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If you're crossing the street at a crosswalk, get off the drat bike, especially if it's not a wide one. It's the fricking law for a reason.

It's enraging and I yell at people when I see them doing it. But I can understand why people are so terrified of turning using the left lane - you have to cut across at least two lanes of car traffic and cars get really loving mad at bikes using the left lane to turn.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bartlebyshop posted:

It's enraging and I yell at people when I see them doing it. But I can understand why people are so terrified of turning using the left lane - you have to cut across at least two lanes of car traffic and cars get really loving mad at bikes using the left lane to turn.

Yeah, I tend not to do it myself, but I also try not to ride my bike on the crosswalk either.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Holy poo poo, when you get to a busy intersection, walk your loving bike. There's nothing more annoying than watching a bicyclist attempt to turn left in the intersection, especially with California's new "keep three yards(?) away" law.

Just walk the loving bike across the crosswalk; you're a bike, not a car.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
All the bicyclists around SLO who blast right through stop signs have the car drivers so nervous that they tend to wave me (on my bike) through stops that I haven't even stopped at yet, screwing up the flow of the intersection and making everybody confused. Bicyclists who refuse to stop at stop signs because of the lost momentum are complete babies.

One bicyclist I yelled at for sailing through a stop yelled back, "I'm a biker! The laws don't apply to me!" so I'm all for stepping up enforcement.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
"Im lowering pollution!"

*Forces 1000 cars per day to stop/re-accelerate"

Some bicyclists would help the environment more by getting back in their cars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

"Im lowering pollution!"

*Forces 1000 cars per day to stop/re-accelerate"

Some bicyclists would help the environment more by getting back in their cars.

What? Please explain your logic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

California reduced water usage by 27% in June. Woot.

quote:

LOS ANGELES — Water use in California dropped by more than 27 percent in June, surpassing the 25 percent statewide cutback ordered by Gov. Jerry Brown in what officials called an encouraging development as this state struggles through one of its worst droughts in history.

The figures — compared with June 2013 — came in the first month in which mandatory statewide reductions on urban water use went into force. State officials pointed out that the report tracked a four-week period of record-high temperatures. Hot temperatures typically produce spikes in water use as people use more for landscaping and, to a lesser extent, showers.

“California water servers and users have stepped up big time,” said Felicia Marcus, the chairwoman of the State Water Resources Control Board, as she announced the finding. “That is especially significant because June was really hot. The June numbers tell a story of conscious conservation.”

Over all, 265 water agencies, supplying 27.2 million people, met or exceeded the cuts imposed on them by the state. Some 140 missed the target, though often by less than 10 percentage points.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Now watch as everyone will freak out over July not being as big a drop in usage.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Now watch as everyone will freak out over July not being as big a drop in usage.

The article specifically says they're measuring from 2013 as a baseline.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

What? Please explain your logic.
I didnt experience this as "a thing" until Seattle, but basically:

Cars use the most fuel accelerating (particularly from a stop). Bicyclists weaving in and out of lanes, bike lanes, crosswalks, and sidewalks force cars to slow down and stop repeatedly. When one car does this all of the cars behind it do as well. In "downtown" areas this can lead to congestion backing up several blocks across several lights. (Which of course leads to more frustration etc.. as well as burning fuel.)

Keeping traffic moving at a steady 25-45 is better than 0, 10, 15, 10 , 0, 10, 15, 10.

(Specifically in Seattle) having three bicycles riding parallel blocking three lanes at 10mph is not unseen during morning work traffic on certain streets. Dedicated bike paths would be best for all involved.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This last July was one of the wettest on record, I think we'll be ok but we won't do nearly as well this month.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Reminds me of when Enron was loving with us and the call went out for Californians to cut electricity use to avoid rolling blackouts. And we were able to cut power consumption by 15-20% in the affected areas, pretty much trivially (people ran their dishwashers later at night and set their A/C at a higher temperature, businesses did things like turn off one-third of the light fixtures in their offices and stores). There's often lots of low-hanging fruit for conservation.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

FRINGE posted:

I didnt experience this as "a thing" until Seattle, but basically:

Cars use the most fuel accelerating (particularly from a stop). Bicyclists weaving in and out of lanes, bike lanes, crosswalks, and sidewalks force cars to slow down and stop repeatedly. When one car does this all of the cars behind it do as well. In "downtown" areas this can lead to congestion backing up several blocks across several lights. (Which of course leads to more frustration etc.. as well as burning fuel.)

Keeping traffic moving at a steady 25-45 is better than 0, 10, 15, 10 , 0, 10, 15, 10.

(Specifically in Seattle) having three bicycles riding parallel blocking three lanes at 10mph is not unseen during morning work traffic on certain streets. Dedicated bike paths would be best for all involved.

I think this makes a case for less stop signs in general. In my parents suburb, recently a stop sign got put up at a three way intersection. The "third way" serves a loop that contains about 15 houses. It's rare to come to that intersection and meet anyone there. The other street is the main way out of the suburb. It's a pretty slow street, but still, hundreds of people probably go through there every day, but now have to make this ridiculous stop for no reason.

The only reason I can think of that justifies its existence is there is a big park there and tons of soccer kids not even from the neighborhood wandering in the street like little idiots.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Bast Relief posted:

The only reason I can think of that justifies its existence is there is a big park there and tons of soccer kids not even from the neighborhood wandering in the street like little idiots.

Usually that's why a stop sign gets put up. That or someone was run over at that intersection already. :v:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gavin Newsom announced he wants to be Governor.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Well hey what do you know:

http://m.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2015/07/30/this-is-what-happened-when-bicyclists-obeyed-traffic-laws-along-the-wiggle-yesterday

quote:

The protest hadn't even started before the first motorist laid on the horn.

Hundreds of cyclists rode through The Wiggle yesterday evening in protest of a San Francisco police captain's calls for a crackdown on bikers coasting through stop signs. But instead of breaking the law, protesters wanted to show the city just how bad traffic would be if every bicycle approached intersections just as a car does.

Riders arrived at every stop sign in a single file, coming to a complete stop and filing through the intersection only once they were given the right-of-way. The law-abiding act of civil disobedience snarled traffic almost immediately.
This reminds me of the protests done by organized groups going exactly the speed limit.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Yes, because a horde of protesters on bikes, all riding in single file, directly in the middle of the street, is exactly the same as normal bike traffic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fronz posted:

Gavin Newsom announced he wants to be Governor.

He's had a site up for his campaign for a while now.

Leperflesh posted:

Naw. Newsom wants to be governor. Everything he's done has been aimed at that, beginning from before he ran for SF mayor.

http://www.gavinnewsom.com/

After two terms as governor, maybe he'd run for senate, but I think he's honestly much more likely to run for (and lose) president.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Rah! posted:

Yes, because a horde of protesters on bikes, all riding in single file, directly in the middle of the street, is exactly the same as normal bike traffic.
Yes, that's right, the protestors are in fact not biking how they normally do!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Yes, that's right, the protestors are in fact not biking how they normally do!

Which is why it's stupid for them to claim that what was seen during the protest will be representative of traffic if bicyclists are made to stop at stop signs.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Rah! posted:

Which is why it's stupid for them to claim that what was seen during the protest will be representative of traffic if bicyclists are made to stop at stop signs.
The law also requires them to ride single file, if I understand correctly.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

The law also requires them to pull over if there are five or more vehicles lined up behind them.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

If that's true it's kind of dumb. Regardless, you never see that many bicyclists riding in the same small area at once, aside from when critical mass does it's thing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Won't somebody please think of the cars! :qq:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Won't somebody please think of the cars! :qq:

No one is saying "please think of the cars".

But the protest, which was meant to show how stupid it is for cyclists to obey stop signs, because it would supposedly create a giant backup of cyclists at every intersection, is not representative of what would actually happen, because there are never that many cyclists in any one spot in SF...aside from during critical mass (when there are way more cyclists than during the protest). Hell, half the bike lanes in the city are completely empty 90% of the time. And only 3% of SF's workers ride a bike to work. There just isn't the level of bike traffic to create that kind of bike traffic jam apocalypse, except on rare occasions, like critical mass. And it's not like critical mass gives a poo poo about stop signs, or lights, or any traffic laws. They're a giant moving traffic jam to begin with.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 2, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there any evidence that the Idaho stop actually results in more injuries/fatalities? Everything I've seen on the internet indicates it's neutral or good, e.g. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop)

quote:

Idaho is both the largest and longest practitioner of the safe stop. Mark McNeese, Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator for the Idaho Transportation Department says that "Idaho bicycle-collision statistics confirm that the Idaho law has resulted in no discernible increase in injuries or fatalities to bicyclists."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Is there any evidence that the Idaho stop actually results in more injuries/fatalities? Everything I've seen on the internet indicates it's neutral or good, e.g. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop)

Its a pity that Idaho doesn't have any dense large cities to make a meaningful comparison to the places in California we're talking about.

For context, Idaho's largest city is less than half as dense as LA and less than 250,000 people.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

For context, Idaho's largest city is less than half as dense as LA and less than 250,000 people.
Outside of LA no one in the US "gets" what traveling around LA is like.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trabisnikof posted:

Its a pity that Idaho doesn't have any dense large cities to make a meaningful comparison to the places in California we're talking about.

Paris is apparently in the process of trying it out: http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-09/paris-follows-path-idaho-and-lets-bicycles-run-red-lights

The article also mentions that it's been successful in Bordeaux, which is denser than LA.

edit: huh, treating stop lights as yield signs is actually more extreme than what the Idaho stop is described as usually (which is stop sign as yield sign, stop light as stop sign).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 2, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get rid of all traffic signs and signals; make every intersection a yield sign.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

Get rid of all traffic signs and signals; make every intersection a yield sign.

Instead of yield signs, do roundabouts.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Make all cars ride bikes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Privatize all roads and let the individual owners establish the traffic rules for their property.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cicero posted:

Paris is apparently in the process of trying it out: http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-09/paris-follows-path-idaho-and-lets-bicycles-run-red-lights

The article also mentions that it's been successful in Bordeaux, which is denser than LA.

edit: huh, treating stop lights as yield signs is actually more extreme than what the Idaho stop is described as usually (which is stop sign as yield sign, stop light as stop sign).

Yeah I saw that, and even I would be uncomfortable going that far, although I think obeying a stop light when you're on the far side of the far side of a tee is silly and should probably be a yield since your only realistic risk is bicyclists turning your way.

Rah! posted:

Make all cars ride bikes.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Instead of yield signs, do roundabouts.

This would also be acceptable. Intersections without the space to build a car-sized roundabout can become bike-only.