Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Stairmaster posted:

The alternate ending is not whether you pick up the phone or not but whether Jake survives his last mission causing the biker-route from HM1 to happen instead.
Does that determine Biker's success against Jacket, or just Biker's presence in phonehom? Is The Abyss something that Biker gets ahold of somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

If we're talking about music that fits the bill, Lazerhawk is also up there, with some of Mitch Murder's work. Mitch Murder was the guy that did the soundtrack to Kung Fury, so you know he's good.

I refuse to believe that anyone who was associated with Kung Fury has ever produced anything good, and that they aren't in fact a bunch of slobbering children just screaming the words "eighties!" over and over again despite having never actually seen anything from the decade.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

as martin brown has gunned down most of the police department.

That... Kinda didn't happen. All that happened to Brown was getting shot during the filming of Midnight Animal cause someone (maybe director) snuck an actual gun to the set.

I THINK so, at least, since the last scene just before nuking may feature Martin being on talkshow promoting his movie which denies both scenarios. Then again, I don't remember that part of cutscene too much

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Really interesting video. Dennis Wedin on Hotline Miami 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-clpBMQ5U

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Heads up to French Goons, something big is gonna happen soonish. Synthzilla, a 2 day festival in Lyon.

1st day is Hotline Miami themed, and speedrunner Dingodrole is gonna be there as the current WR holder on HM2.
2nd day is a huge concert, featuring Perturbator and Carpenter Brut, with Dan Terminus and Fortifem as well.

It's during Haloween (30-31 october) and I think the orders have opened on their site. So yeah, if you can make it, you won't be disappointed by the ride.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

TheJoker138 posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone who was associated with Kung Fury has ever produced anything good, and that they aren't in fact a bunch of slobbering children just screaming the words "eighties!" over and over again despite having never actually seen anything from the decade.

It was the very definition of trying too hard and it really ruined the film for me. I had high hopes too, because the True Survivor music video made it look like the right amount of cheese.

There was literally only one good thing about the film once it actually came out, and that was Mitch Murder's amazing soundtrack, and his work with Hasselhoff on True Survivor.

EDIT: So I'm 16 minutes into Denis' panel. He's really loving cool.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 31, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, gently caress you. Mitch Murder is great.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes literally everyone who even touched that disgusting film with their grubby goon hands are obviously screaming manchildren that just don't get how to make a goofy half-hour nostalgia bait film for fun how loving dare they they are scum of the earth those slobbering children don't know how to do my nostalgia bait right and should die

I don't even like that thing that much but I have no idea why anyone's this offended by it. Also Mitch Murder did some songs for HM2 and is good hth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Moartoast posted:

Yes literally everyone who even touched that disgusting film with their grubby goon hands are obviously screaming manchildren that just don't get how to make a goofy half-hour nostalgia bait film for fun how loving dare they they are scum of the earth those slobbering children don't know how to do my nostalgia bait right and should die

I don't even like that thing that much but I have no idea why anyone's this offended by it. Also Mitch Murder did some songs for HM2 and is good hth.

I'm not offended by it, I just think it's horrible horse poo poo. Excuse me all to hell for making fun of a bunch of untalented jackasses who made a really bad movie. Also there is no way to do nostalgia bait right, it's all bad, hth.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Moartoast posted:

Your goon hyperbole was worse than his goon hyperbole.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kung fury is good

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think Kung Fury was a pretty good movie.

Also, gently caress Into the Pits, even on normal. Dark-rear end sewer the same color as the dogs, making me pick ash n alex just so I can hear that loving chainsaw noise forever so the dogs dont bite my neck out.

Dead Ahead hard mode is a very balanced level that has the perfect amount of challenge, and is in no way bullshit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kung Fury is good if you want a group of people going "hey... Hey... Remember the eighties?" like a cut away joke on family guy, but those people also haven't actually even checked to see what movies in the eighties were really like.. It's the Far Cry: Blood Dragon of movies. They also both share the fact that they're not funny with each other. But if that's your thing, more power to you, I guess. Keep on yuckin it up at Peter Griffin talking about that time he saw Superman every week on Fox or whatever.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Your goon hyperbole was worse than his goon hyperbole.

TheJoker138 posted:

Kung Fury is good if you want a group of people going "hey... Hey... Remember the eighties?" like a cut away joke on family guy, but those people also haven't actually even checked to see what movies in the eighties were really like.. It's the Far Cry: Blood Dragon of movies. They also both share the fact that they're not funny with each other. But if that's your thing, more power to you, I guess. Keep on yuckin it up at Peter Griffin talking about that time he saw Superman every week on Fox or whatever.

He one-upped me, I already lost this goon-off.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Blood Dragon and Kung Fury were good and had some funny moments. Have fun being angry about fun things I guess. :shrug:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah but it's not the 80s. It's a representation of things that people consider Retro-80s. Sort of like how this isn't representative of the actual 80s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAEU-Lf60LA

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Do you like trolling other people?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah but it's not the 80s. It's a representation of things that people consider Retro-80s. Sort of like how this isn't representative of the actual 80s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAEU-Lf60LA

Yes, but the joke in BTTF is that the cafe got everything wrong and was ridiculous for it. It was a "look at how dumb theme restaurants are" joke. Kung Fury isn't going "look at how dumb movies that reference the 80's are" thing, it's just them doing a bad job of making an over the top 80's...homage? Satire? I'm honestly not sure what it was even attempting to do on that front, if it was meant as a love letter to movies that don't actually exist, or a send up of movies that don't actually exist. Blood Dragon at least makes some level on sense in that it seems like it's supposed to be a modern video game based on a fictional 80's cartoon. But Kung Fury just reads to me as someone who played Blood Dragon and thinks that's what things in the 80's actually were like making a movie like it. Making a movie just for nostalgia is already dumb, but it just doubles how dumb it is when you don't even take the time to make sure you're getting the nostalgia correct. How hard is it to watch Cobra or Death Wish before writing and making your 80's inspired movie?

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Blood Dragon is funnier than Kung Fury except for that last bit in Blood Dragon where the mech dino you were riding said an 8 year old meme.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, but the joke in BTTF is that the cafe got everything wrong and was ridiculous for it. It was a "look at how dumb theme restaurants are" joke. Kung Fury isn't going "look at how dumb movies that reference the 80's are" thing, it's just them doing a bad job of making an over the top 80's...homage? Satire? I'm honestly not sure what it was even attempting to do on that front, if it was meant as a love letter to movies that don't actually exist, or a send up of movies that don't actually exist. Blood Dragon at least makes some level on sense in that it seems like it's supposed to be a modern video game based on a fictional 80's cartoon. But Kung Fury just reads to me as someone who played Blood Dragon and thinks that's what things in the 80's actually were like making a movie like it. Making a movie just for nostalgia is already dumb, but it just doubles how dumb it is when you don't even take the time to make sure you're getting the nostalgia correct. How hard is it to watch Cobra or Death Wish before writing and making your 80's inspired movie?

i didnt read any of this, but kung fury was okay

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Douk Douk posted:

Blood Dragon is funnier than Kung Fury except for that last bit in Blood Dragon where the mech dino you were riding said an 8 year old meme.

I too get mad when the past is referenced.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Both kung fury and blood dragon are several millions leagues better than ready player one

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Both kung fury and blood dragon are several millions leagues better than ready player one

This is true.

Kung Fury and Blood Dragon both suck rear end though.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Can you all go back to whining about the level editor?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

It's the Far Cry: Blood Dragon of movies.

since when is this a bad thing

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The 80's were about jerking yourself off because you were awesome and god bless ronald reagan and the USA, and both Blood Dragon and Kung Fury got that tone correct.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Well this goes without saying.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

What's player one about, one of my nerdy but not very critical friends said she liked it and I know nothing else aside from that it's a book

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Well this goes without saying.

What is your opinion of Pixels?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Anatharon posted:

Really interesting video. Dennis Wedin on Hotline Miami 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-clpBMQ5U

This is great. I love hearing the ideas behind game design

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Pharmaskittle posted:

What's player one about, one of my nerdy but not very critical friends said she liked it and I know nothing else aside from that it's a book

This little video scared me off of Ready Player One but good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VFzClEoG0

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DoubleCakes posted:

This little video scared me off of Ready Player One but good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VFzClEoG0

Holy poo poo I know what I'm gonna make fun of someone for recommending tomorrow. That's terrible.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I really liked Blood Dragon a lot(the gameplay especially) but the BATTLE READY DINO NARWHAL BACON EPIC MEALTIME :iamafag: dino wasn't nearly as fun or funny as it was supposed to be.

There's almost a line at one point that goes "if you think videogames make people violent your'e a loving idiot" and it's so preachy and out of nowhere that it's really lame. Like something Tim Buckley would have added.

I actually don't know any good 80's nostalgia movies/games besides HM1.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Blood Dragon spends the vast majority of its runtime talking about how much it hates the 80s as opposed to celebrating it.

The rest is internet memes.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

You know it mightn't just been playing as a robot armed generic cool guy instead of some twat with a tribal tattoo that made me like it more. Also there isn't any fall damage like in the base game and I liked falling from the top of a 60 foot wall and landing into an execution.

Edit: I still can't get over them trying to pass that tattoo off as cool

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Amorphous Blob posted:

Edit: I still can't get over them trying to pass that tattoo off as cool

They weren't.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Holy poo poo I know what I'm gonna make fun of someone for recommending tomorrow. That's terrible.

theres a podcast about how bad it is http://idontevenownatelevision.com/ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco

at one point the characters enter some area and the book describes it as "Rivendell, from the Lord of the Ring movies." it's not very well-written

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I had a lot of fun playing Blood Dragon. It let me flip people's bodies off after blasting them with my awesome shotgun. That was great.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

Pirate Jet posted:

They weren't.

Yeah you're right the whole game was sarcastic(and I am not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

I'm glad some people recognize the genius of Ubisoft's white dude gets sick ink and saves the tribals and lays tribal babes with the boobies but totes ironically guys something something heart of darkness apocalypse now smart video game writing. If only we could spout a forced memetic line as an easy go-to reference like my favourite game Hotline Miami, which doesn't nostalgia bait and does 80's references for smart people not like those other popular referential things those are made by and for dumb babies that watch family guy and i am smarter than them.

Also don't really see how Blood Dragon was hating on the 80's. It just seemed like it revelled in the stupid parts, acknowledged they were stupid, and continued revelling. I remember someone describing it as a game based off of the sick cover art to sci-fi/action films that were almost never representative of the actual films, but you totally wanted them to be, which seems pretty celebratory I dunno. It's far from an authentic to the actual films of the era, but it's still pretty sincere in what it specifically wants to indulge in.

I mean, yeah, the loading screen messages and a lot of the written jokes absolutely fell flat, but a lot of it seemed to be made just take the piss out of FC3's overbearing self-seriousness, and then did it one better by taking its cool mechanics and ditching a lot of the bloated bullshit that weighed it down, so that's p cool imo.

But y'know, if you can't state that you just don't like a thing without calling people who do like it big dumb retard babies then more power to you for being someone who thinks that makes you look like a smart and reasonable person lol.

Moartoast fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread