Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

So Clara's supposed to be French? Before she went and used the word vraiment I was thinking she sounded vaguely Latin American.

She is French-Canadian. So, clearly evil.

Seraphroy posted:

Only beer, thankfully. Liquor is monopolized by the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), who have their own stores. Those also have select beers in them.

It's rather stifling for craft beers to come into Ontario though because of THE BEER STORE, and it's something I'm annoyed by.

I think the situation is similar to Sweden, from what I know, the government-owned chain of liquor stores has a strict monopoly on that. Apparently it's not bad, you can have them order stuff for you so availability isn't bad? And you can always just order online and get it sent to you.
Wikipedia also mentions similar government liquor stores in Norway, Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.

VV: I was checking the website earlier, and you can order Magners, I don't see the issue. :colbert:

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yup, government monopolies are pretty nice. Too bad none of the ones here stock good cider. :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It really depends. I've lived in two states with government monopolies on liquor, they're usually decent about ordering but it seemed like you had to do it often. Though Washington State had a stock list online, so if you didn't want to wait you could find out which store had something and go there.

We recently deregulated and it seems like there are more stores that are larger and have more choices, at least around here. Just the selection of gin, scotch, vodka, etc. I can get without a special order is better than it was before. Total Wine is great. You can even just pick up a bottle of mass market stuff while at the grocery store.

Great Joe posted:

Yup, government monopolies are pretty nice. Too bad none of the ones here stock good cider. :(

The best cider I've ever had is Hard Washington. A benefit to living in apple country. A bit hard to find around here, but if you ever have the chance - literally everything I've tried of theirs is excellent.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
And this is where the game goes back to trying to make Aiden into Batman.

Mind you, I actually kinda like the dialogue in the initial part of the first cutscene. Its some actual vulnerability from Aiden, but also slightly autistic in a way that I can kinda get. Forgetting that just because he knows about something doesn't mean others understand it - and looking more crazed for it.

Then he blows up his apartment because apparently that's the sort of contingency you prepare for as a hacker/vigilante.

Abbot Island is just weird to think about as well. Mostly because there was a much easier way to get the same thing without the embarrassingly easy issue of 'why not just take a boat?'. Just make it some random building in the city you'd never given real consideration to before that moment. Lock the prompt to open it until the proper story point - Frewer and all - is triggered. Also saves on resources since you don't need some weird super secret island with an ultimately superfluous bridge mechanism.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That old guy who flipped the poker table looked like he teleported through the ceiling, since Aiden vision seems to make the guy appear to run through the walls of the building while the screen got cluttered in junk.

monster on a stick posted:

It really depends. I've lived in two states with government monopolies on liquor, they're usually decent about ordering but it seemed like you had to do it often. Though Washington State had a stock list online, so if you didn't want to wait you could find out which store had something and go there.

We recently deregulated and it seems like there are more stores that are larger and have more choices, at least around here. Just the selection of gin, scotch, vodka, etc. I can get without a special order is better than it was before. Total Wine is great. You can even just pick up a bottle of mass market stuff while at the grocery store.

The best cider I've ever had is Hard Washington. A benefit to living in apple country. A bit hard to find around here, but if you ever have the chance - literally everything I've tried of theirs is excellent.
Our state government couldn't get simple kiosks to work correctly before getting rid of them and you had to go through several hoops before you can order anything on them. All that money wasted just to keep the unions happy. Maybe my state is crap.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So a neat thing about the Poker game that you didn't get to see is that you can actually use your phone and cheat to see everybody else's hands! Because for some reason there are camera around in this dudes basement?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So a neat thing about the Poker game that you didn't get to see is that you can actually use your phone and cheat to see everybody else's hands! Because for some reason there are camera around in this dudes basement?

well, you can see a player or two's hands. You never can see all three.

Also, for some reason Aiden's magic phone can also read heartbeats and tell if someone is nervous at the table.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Astro Nut posted:

Mind you, I actually kinda like the dialogue in the initial part of the first cutscene. Its some actual vulnerability from Aiden, but also slightly autistic in a way that I can kinda get. Forgetting that just because he knows about something doesn't mean others understand it - and looking more crazed for it.

It's one of those things that once again seems like it was hacked in from another draft of the script. It tries to show Aiden as having a really weird (and yeah, kind of autistic) sense of what other people know and understand and having difficulty communicating, something that would go well with a character like Rami Malek in Mr. Robot (which cannot be recommended enough as an example of Watch_Dogs done right). But it clashes with the rest of the game trying to show him as the quintessential smooth operator, the guy who headshots half a dozen men while sneaking into a totally secured compound without getting seen even once or raising an alarm, somehow hacking your gun when you try to pull it out, and then whipping out massive amounts of convenient blackmail material to make you do exactly what he wants you to do and smacking you in the nose with a baton before leaving and giving a quip over your unconscious body.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

well, you can see a player or two's hands. You never can see all three.

Also, for some reason Aiden's magic phone can also read heartbeats and tell if someone is nervous at the table.

Aiden's phone is starting to turn into Marvel Comics armor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was going to say it seemed more like Batman's Detective Vision, but yours is good too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think I found the phones in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 to be more realistic, and they were flip phones that summoned demons and cast fireballs.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
I thought about this for a whole day and I finally get it. This is the part of the game where the developers realized Aiden needs his very own Batcave so they just made up this software QA bunker Aiden can have for himself.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
It's really bothersome that Aiden can never once say a loving word to the cashier when he's buying something. He just stares into his phone, takes one sip of Soft Drink, and is done with the whole exchange. What a soulless robot. Just say 'thank you' or something, drat it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ghost Stromboli posted:

It's really bothersome that Aiden can never once say a loving word to the cashier when he's buying something. He just stares into his phone, takes one sip of Soft Drink, and is done with the whole exchange. What a soulless robot. Just say 'thank you' or something, drat it.

I can pass off all the wanton murder and hypocrisy as video game logic and poor writing, but portraying Aiden as the type of person who talks on their phone the whole transaction is the last straw. At least acknowledge a fellow human being who's trying to help you! :argh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Look, man, it is just a Cashier. Seriously?

Edit: You know, please tell me I am wrong and Ubi isn't this clever. Couldn't the lame names of everything possibly just be a twist on the unreliable narrator idea? Aiden gives zero fucks about stores and such, other than what he can get for himself there, so he mentally blanks out uniqueness like store names?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The life of a hacker man is always intense.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Edit: You know, please tell me I am wrong and Ubi isn't this clever. Couldn't the lame names of everything possibly just be a twist on the unreliable narrator idea? Aiden gives zero fucks about stores and such, other than what he can get for himself there, so he mentally blanks out uniqueness like store names?
If they really wanted to sell that they'd need to make things much more generic. Aiden wouldn't be getting his Soda at Quinkies or whatever it was, he'd be getting it at FAST FOOD.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Also I know StrawhatNO did Sleeping Dogs for an LP but I absolutely would love to see Chip and Ironicus play Sleeping Dogs at least to wash the taste of Watch_Dogs out of their mouths.

You can never have too many Sleeping Dogs LPs. I second this motion.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zereth posted:

If they really wanted to sell that they'd need to make things much more generic. Aiden wouldn't be getting his Soda at Quinkies or whatever it was, he'd be getting it at FAST FOOD.

Whew!! I almost lost faith and thought this game's writing and design didn't hilariously suck. Now I am back safely in the fold of the Church of the Iconic Cap.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
When I think "iconic cap", I think Terry Bogard.

He'd make for a much better protagonist. He already even has a very clear-cut revenge plot.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

He'd make for a much better protagonist. He already even has a very clear-cut revenge plot.

Not nearly as iconic as the cap of that beloved whimsical vigilante The Fox. So charismatic and mysterious! I wish I knew who he was! :fap: :shlick:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Just replace every Aiden dialogue with random Terry quotes.

ARE YOU OKAY!?
BUSTAH WOLF!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Terry would be hilarious as an open world protagonist because he is pretty explicitly a hobo who crashes on his girlfriend's couch when he isn't doing karate at rich assholes.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

3 posted:

The life of a hacker man is always intense.

If this game was indeed Repo Man the video game, I would play the poo poo out of it. But I'm afraid that would require a degree of self awareness that Ubisoft lacks.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mors Rattus posted:

Terry would be hilarious as an open world protagonist because he is pretty explicitly a hobo who crashes on his girlfriend's couch when he isn't doing karate at rich assholes.
That alone makes him more explicitly likeable than Aiden Pearce living in a lovely motel room where no sunlight shall ever breach, whilst occasionally moping around his sisterwife's place moping at his sonnephew's cake.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just replace every Aiden dialogue with random Terry quotes.

ARE YOU OKAY!?
BUSTAH WOLF!
See, look at that, with just five words you have someone that is more caring than Aiden loving Pearce would ever want to be for people.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 2, 2015

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
The last couple streams I've done are going up! We've got Jack the Reaper and Contradiction up right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDxst0clWKE
Demo can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM4gWYnofew

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Suspicious Cook posted:

Geese is also a far better villain that's actually intimidating even though he has a goofy rear end name.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Chip Cheezum posted:

The last couple streams I've done are going up! We've got Jack the Reaper and Contradiction up right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDxst0clWKE
Demo can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM4gWYnofew

I love FMV games. Anyone remember one on the sega CD where you played as a spy and had to ski with a funny helmet on and shoot guys? Real descriptive I know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Accordion Man posted:

Geese is also a far better villain that's actually intimidating even though he has a goofy rear end name.

Name like that, you kinda have to be a badass to get anywhere.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

He's named after one of the most vicious creatures, how is that goofy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FinalGamer posted:

That alone makes him more explicitly likeable than Aiden Pearce living in a lovely motel room where no sunlight shall ever breach, whilst occasionally moping around his sisterwife's place moping at his sonnephew's cake.

Oh, definitely. And Blue Mary's a cool lady, she's a PI and jazz singer.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Look, man, it is just a Cashier. Seriously?

It's just rude. Even Patrick Bateman had some manners.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ghost Stromboli posted:

It's just rude. Even Patrick Bateman had some manners.

Until he threw a chainsaw at you. Or inserted live rats into a bodily orifice...

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I'm starting to wish that this game didn't have gun fights and just depended entirely on hacking or hand-to-hand takedowns. Like a more sneaky version of Sleeping Dogs.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, definitely. And Blue Mary's a cool lady, she's a PI and jazz singer.

And she has a dog. Lovable animals always help the audience identify with characters. Does Watch_Dogs even have any wildlife, let alone dogs to watch?

KoF/Fatal Fury dialogue's a lot better too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phoenixan posted:

I'm starting to wish that this game didn't have gun fights and just depended entirely on hacking or hand-to-hand takedowns. Like a more sneaky version of Sleeping Dogs.
I still think having it being more like Deus Ex and Dishonored would have been ideal and it would have really helped the game not be such a jumbled rear end mess.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Super Bunnyhop suggested that ditching the open world altogether might have made this a better game, instead make it a series of mini-sandboxes like Deus Ex so the design is more focused, but still gives you a big enough arena you can have fun with different strategies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phoenixan posted:

Even Sleeping Dogs has guns, and guns can provide a lot to the game. But it makes guns and ammo a relatively uncommon resource and incorporates them into the existing martial arts system so using them flows relatively easily. Another example would be Mirror's Edge, where guns give you a massive edge in fights but they restrict your parkour abilities and even running speed (with heavier guns being more restrictive) and you can't carry spare ammo to reload.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If the game didn't have guns at all, people would complain that Aiden was putting himself, his sister, Clara, etc., at risk by not protecting himself and them properly from the well-armed thugs that want to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Phoenixan posted:

That would make more sense and show Aiden to have at least some rules to work under, but crappy writing, muddled game mechanics, ect. ect.

• Locked thread