Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I'd choose Talisman over it because I've laughed my rear end off at times while playing that game.

Please take this as an endorsement of Talisman.

Me sentiments exactly. Don't go with the imitator, stick with the original. You won't regret it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Crackbone posted:

They had a ton of it at gencon.

Can confirm. Just bought the Tragedy Looper expansion there yesterday. Apparently BakaFire is at the convention and he spent Thursday playing the game with people at the Z-Man area.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

snuff posted:

Roll for the Galaxy

Echoing this. It's a great game that's easy to get to the table.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Definitely Tzolkin over Bora Bora if you want some heavier, but Roll is really good too.

I don't hate BB as much as some people here do but it's a bit of a hot mess. Although keep in mind a lot of people are of the opinion that you need the expansion to really make Tzolkin hum.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Check CSI's prices on some of those amazon "deals" before buying - amazon's sale price for a bunch are $4-5 higher than CSI's regular price.

Today I am attempting to play
EPIC MOTHERFUCKING FORGE WAR (3 player, all vets)
Patchistory
Argent: The Consortium (3 player, all vets)
Poseidon
(simplified 18XX)
in 8 hours.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 1, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

edit: double post

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Malloreon posted:

Check CSI's prices on some of those amazon "deals" before buying - amazon's sale price for a bunch are $4-5 higher than CSI's regular price.

Patchistory
Poseidon
(simplified 18XX)
in 8 hours.

If patchistory has all new players, that's gonna take a large % of that.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.

Dirk the Average posted:

Echoing this. It's a great game that's easy to get to the table.

T-Bone posted:

Definitely Tzolkin over Bora Bora if you want some heavier, but Roll is really good too.

I don't hate BB as much as some people here do but it's a bit of a hot mess. Although keep in mind a lot of people are of the opinion that you need the expansion to really make Tzolkin hum.

Thanks guys! :) I... broke down and got Tzolk'in AND Roll.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The expansion for Tzolk'in is one of the best board game expansions ever printed, there's so much stuff in that box and all of it is great. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the base game, it plays very well so get in at least a handful of plays before you upgrade.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Ah gently caress, I was just about to pick up Roll for the Galaxy at Amazon but it appears they ran out of stock.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
So my birthday was a few days ago and my folks asked me what I wanted for it. I was thinking about the Firefly boardgame, being a huge fan of the show and of questing type games. BGG reviews were largely positive, but I want to know what the goon consensus was. Is it a good game? Which expansions, if any, are worth picking up?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don't get it, it sucks.

- the Hivemind

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Get Galaxy Trucker if you like Firefly's theme.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It's a very random game where it is totally possible for one person to get poo poo on by the various decks of cards and dice rolls and another to get everything their heart desires.

If you can put up with that bullshit, I guess it's a decent Firefly experience?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Slightly Lions posted:

So my birthday was a few days ago and my folks asked me what I wanted for it. I was thinking about the Firefly boardgame, being a huge fan of the show and of questing type games. BGG reviews were largely positive, but I want to know what the goon consensus was. Is it a good game? Which expansions, if any, are worth picking up?

It's basically what you'd call an "experience generator" more than, say, a game of skill. Typically experience generators can be quite enjoyable if you really engage with it, but are lacking in terms of actual gameplay and can be pretty boring for people who aren't so keen on the theme.

If you really like the show and have friends to play with who also really like the show then it's probably okay? I wouldn't expect it to be a winner if you're having to rope in people who aren't so keen on the theme. As is usual with hit-or-miss board games, definitely don't bother with expansions until you know for sure your group likes the base game.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Slightly Lions posted:

The consensus is that it's not really a game.

I think there's an expansion that means you actually get to make decisions on your turn, but that's throwing good money after bad really.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Today I played a game of Roll for the Galaxy that just completely fell flat.

I started with an Alien world, a Novelty world and a consumption die, and by the second turn I'd popped out another Novelty world and was using the three to get 5 VP a turn and enough money to just get all those spent dice back immediately whenever a Produce/Ship combination came up.

It didn't feel like my opponents ever had the remotest chance to compete, and it's made me go from really enjoying the game to feeling like there are pretty major balance problems with it. I guess in any tableau builder you'll get unfair combinations but to start with something this good out the gate just felt unfair.

At least it's one less game I feel the need to buy now.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Slightly Lions posted:

Don't listen to the hivemind. The Firefly Boardgame is *exactly* the game that every "true Browncoat in the 'verse" deserves.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm fairly convinced that eventually people will come around to my initial impressions on Roll for the Galaxy and realize that it's actually kind of a hot mess of a game that pales in comparison to the elegance of its predecessor.

And on a similar note, I played my first game of Argent last night, with 4 players total. Despite winning, and admittedly enjoying revealing all the votes at the end, I'm not entirely sure I agree with the hype that this thread has given. I will for sure give the game another try (hell, I dumped 50 bucks on it), but I feel like there are aspects of the game that are bolted on without express purpose. I've played a lot of games that have a variety of moving parts, but in these games (Archipelago, Mage Knight) everything feels like it has a purpose and it all interlocks in a sensible and competent fashion. I felt like there was information overload on a round-by-round basis with the spells, vault cards, and supporters. Not to mention having to look over your opponents offices whenever you were considering putting down a red mage or using an offensive spell. I felt muddled by all the different information and that's not something that usually happens to me.

Another issue I have with it is the amount of aggression involved. WP games inherently have a layer of aggression built in, but Argent piles on top of that with mage powers, artifacts, spells, etc. I like the concept of individual workers having powers, and I would absolutely keep that, but the spells really started to suck the strategy out of things. To be fair, there are a fair amount of defensive spells/artifacts as well, but this just leads to people having to check not only the board but each opponent's office to see what they have before even deciding if it's worth casting a spell or not. So the aggressiveness that is built into the game is balanced out at the cost of having to take longer turns.

I'll give the game a few more tries, and half the people that played really liked it a lot, but I'm worried that the issues I've come across aren't going to simply resolve themselves with additional plays.

Also we tried out Pictomania last night and it was amazing. I lost horribly, but god drat it my picture for Juice (a stick figuring killing two other stick figures with a knife and a glove on the ground) should be in a loving museum.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Slightly Lions posted:

It sucks balls. If you want to reminisce about Firefly watch the show. If you want to play a decent space trading board game, play Galaxy Trucker.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think the main problem with the Firefly board game is that it is goddamn tedious to play, and bad luck of the draw can at best ruin your turn and at worst set you back to square one. This can be mitigated but only up to a point. I also cannot speak for any of its expansions.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

LemonAIDS posted:

I thought you don't reshuffle the science deck? Me and my group at first assumed you did but then when scouring the rules we couldn't actually find anything saying you do.

Yeah that's what I mean. Since there's no reshuffling, you basically can do tech as if you had it. Though through a weird way. I mean the game is bullshit but at least Science can have a massive role if they take advantage of Alien Artifacts.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 1, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
How is Libertalia? It's on the amazon sale, and I like pirate stuff

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

canyoneer posted:

I like it a lot. It's easy to teach and really good for 4 or 5 people. It's the best pirate-themed game that I'm aware of.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Big McHuge posted:

I'm fairly convinced that eventually people will come around to my initial impressions on Roll for the Galaxy and realize that it's actually kind of a hot mess of a game that pales in comparison to the elegance of its predecessor.

And on a similar note, I played my first game of Argent last night, with 4 players total. Despite winning, and admittedly enjoying revealing all the votes at the end, I'm not entirely sure I agree with the hype that this thread has given. I will for sure give the game another try (hell, I dumped 50 bucks on it), but I feel like there are aspects of the game that are bolted on without express purpose. I've played a lot of games that have a variety of moving parts, but in these games (Archipelago, Mage Knight) everything feels like it has a purpose and it all interlocks in a sensible and competent fashion. I felt like there was information overload on a round-by-round basis with the spells, vault cards, and supporters. Not to mention having to look over your opponents offices whenever you were considering putting down a red mage or using an offensive spell. I felt muddled by all the different information and that's not something that usually happens to me.

Another issue I have with it is the amount of aggression involved. WP games inherently have a layer of aggression built in, but Argent piles on top of that with mage powers, artifacts, spells, etc. I like the concept of individual workers having powers, and I would absolutely keep that, but the spells really started to suck the strategy out of things. To be fair, there are a fair amount of defensive spells/artifacts as well, but this just leads to people having to check not only the board but each opponent's office to see what they have before even deciding if it's worth casting a spell or not. So the aggressiveness that is built into the game is balanced out at the cost of having to take longer turns.

I'll give the game a few more tries, and half the people that played really liked it a lot, but I'm worried that the issues I've come across aren't going to simply resolve themselves with additional plays.

Yep, a lot of people consider it overwhelming for a gaming experience. It's the kind of thing I like though, and I think that's personal preference. I also like the amount of aggression, however if you don't, just use the B sides of the starting wizards.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Get Galaxy Trucker if you like Firefly's theme.

My favorite episode is in fact the one where the nameless crew died when their junk ship was obliterated by asteroids.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

canyoneer posted:

Libertalia is good times! It's a semi-Ameritrashy role selection game that lasts about an hour with lots of interesting decisions.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

homullus posted:

My favorite episode is in fact the one where the nameless crew died when their junk ship was obliterated by asteroids.

Meh. Close enough to “Our Mrs. Reynolds”.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Big McHuge posted:

Also we tried out Pictomania last night and it was amazing. I lost horribly, but god drat it my picture for Juice (a stick figuring killing two other stick figures with a knife and a glove on the ground) should be in a loving museum.

Argent is just so loving big. We played at someone who had a dedicated gaming table, 3 people, but it's so big we couldn't really read each others cards without walking over to them. Actually probably made the game better, since it also was the last game of the night and everyone just ran with it and didn't really think much about actions. Would never play it with "that" guy (our's is a girl) that has to optimize every move, even in games they never played before.

Also, the bronze bases for the mages is loving stupid, since the only thing pointing out who is who is the tiny cardboard piece stuck to your base. Great job making one player light gray and another light blue. Especially since the colours are bound to characters with different abilities.

Still liked it.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

The Goonmind posted:

Disappointment

Well, drat. What about the various Discworld boardgames? Are those any good? Are any stand out better than others?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slightly Lions posted:

Well, drat. What about the various Discworld boardgames? Are those any good? Are any stand out better than others?

Ankh-Morpork is better than Witches. Anything else, don't bother.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Finally played Suburbia in person, even had the 5 Star expansion. Compared to the app, it's a real pain in the rear end to keep track of all of the changes; especially global tiles. I do like the expansion though. No weird borders to deal with, just lots of new tiles. The new star track determines player order and that's cool. You also get minor bonuses, but mostly it's for player order. I would buy the expansion for the app instantly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

homullus posted:

Get Galaxy Trucker, play Galaxy Trucker whilst watching Firefly.

The only reason I suggest GT is that there genuinely isn't a(nother) really good space trading/mercenarying game. Every single one I've tried is various levels of flawed. Firefly is among the worst.

QnoisX posted:

Finally played Suburbia in person, even had the 5 Star expansion. Compared to the app, it's a real pain in the rear end to keep track of all of the changes; especially global tiles. I do like the expansion though. No weird borders to deal with, just lots of new tiles. The new star track determines player order and that's cool. You also get minor bonuses, but mostly it's for player order. I would buy the expansion for the app instantly.
Really wanna try 5*. Inc. is great, but being able to do 5 players would make a huge difference to how much Suburbia gets to the table. And it is a really good game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thespaceinvader posted:

Get Galaxy Trucker, play Galaxy Trucker whilst watching Firefly.

The only reason I suggest GT is that there genuinely isn't a(nother) really good space trading/mercenarying game. Every single one I've tried is various levels of flawed. Firefly is among the worst.
Conceivably, Twilight Imperium is that, but mainly by virtue of being a space [anything] game, and even then, it'll depend on which race you draw/pick. Of course, some might consider the 15 minute/player/turn play length to be a bit of a flaw… :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I need to try Twilight Imperium one of these days but my group doesn't own it D:

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

thespaceinvader posted:

Really wanna try 5*. Inc. is great, but being able to do 5 players would make a huge difference to how much Suburbia gets to the table. And it is a really good game.

Yeah, 5 Star is pretty great! All of the new tiles were cool. Might make the scores a bit high, some are OP! The arcade gives you $1 per population for only $10. You can also 2x it later when you're population gets really high. Nice cash boost.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lorini posted:

Yep, a lot of people consider it overwhelming for a gaming experience. It's the kind of thing I like though, and I think that's personal preference. I also like the amount of aggression, however if you don't, just use the B sides of the starting wizards.

Echoing this sentiment. Argent is a very heavy game despite being rather simple rules wise (it even says on the box INTENSITY: HIGH). There's just a ton of things you have to consider every time your turn rolls around. It's really drat good if that's what you like in games (which incidentally, I do, so I love Argent), but for many people it's just too much. Games with my regular gaming group go rather quickly since we don't have anyone prone to AP but I would never attempt to play this game to my more casual friends who boardgame rarely. Might be worth considering a 2 min turn timer for this game if you have AP problems, just to keep the game snappy.

Sistergodiva posted:

Also, the bronze bases for the mages is loving stupid, since the only thing pointing out who is who is the tiny cardboard piece stuck to your base. Great job making one player light gray and another light blue. Especially since the colours are bound to characters with different abilities.

For the bases, I painted 30 them in the player colors (5 for each player's starting mages) leaving the other 5 unpainted. It makes the game run a lot smoother. The board is now way easier to parse and know which player is placed where. If you get your 6th or 7th mage you can just use the unpainted ones. In rare cases you might have to use pieces in a player color that is not in the game, but it's still worth it. The tab thing is a cute idea but really terrible in practice. Tabs can only be clearly seen from one side of the piece and the placement spaces in the board are really close together which means pieces will often be blocking your view of the tabs on other pieces.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Got through these two in 7.5 hours, though Argent was with 4.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Report:
Skull owns bones.
Alchemists owns once you finally get all the rules straight, which took me three games.
Tash-Kalar owns, but 4 player deathmatch does not own very much.

Also, when you take the useless insert out, the Tash-Kalar box proves to be just a little bit too big for its contents:

With the boards and docs on top, the box still closes perfectly.

edit: Seriously, I want to play more Skull.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Played Ra a bunch, love it. Feels like a deluxe trick taker. Very lean, no bullshit game.

Also played a few hands of Sushi Go and Dominion Adventures + Dark Ages. Sushi Go is pretty fun but kind of has a lot of competition. I liked Greed better, for a drafting game. The last kingdom of Adventures I played had Procession, some duration cards, a Grave Robber, etc and it felt like functional programming.