Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

Do y'all think the cobra was part of Obama's dastardly plan?

No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kha63bVVlUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama laced all King Cobras with terror powder, what?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Do y'all think the cobra was part of Obama's dastardly plan?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Peak Texas

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/farmersville-muslim-cemetery-texas

Texas Residents Cite Health Concerns In Uproar Over New Muslim Cemetery

quote:

Texas Residents Cite Health Concerns In Uproar Over New Muslim Cemetery

DALLAS (AP) — Muslims say they're looking for a place to bury their dead. Locals say it's a plot to gain a foothold in their small rural Texas town.

A proposal to bring a Muslim cemetery to Farmersville has stoked fears among residents who are vehemently trying to convince community leaders to block the project. The sentiment reflects an anti-Muslim distrust that has been brewing over the last year in parts of Texas, most notably 25 miles away in Garland — the scene of a deadly May shooting outside a cartoon contest lampooning the Prophet Muhammad.

"The concern for us is the radical element of Islam," David J. Meeks, pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, told The Dallas Morning News. He said he thinks the cemetery would be the first step toward a broader Muslim expansion in town.

"How can we stop a mosque or madrassa training center from going in there?" he asked, referring to a type of Islamic school.

The issue is flaring up as Farmersville leaders consider a 35-acre development request from the Islamic Association of Collin County, which faces a shortage of space to bury members of its faith. Although the area already has a Buddhist center and Mormon church, residents showed up in force at a recent town meeting to oppose allowing a Muslim cemetery, which would include an open-air pavilion and small retail component that would run along a busy highway through town.

"There's just a basic concern or distrust about the cemetery coming into town," said Mayor Joe Helmberger, who calls the townspeople's worries unwarranted.

He said the cemetery would be approved as long as the town's development standards are met, pointing out that the U.S. was founded on religious freedom and that the association is simply trying to secure a burial site.

Concerns over Muslim cemeteries gained national attention in 2010 when the town of Sidney Center in New York voted to investigate how Muslims were burying their dead. The issue was quickly dropped after local leaders received widespread criticism.

Many residents of Farmersville, a predominantly white community of approximately 3,500 residents about 35 miles northeast of Dallas, are pushing their leaders to take a similar stand.

Some oppose the project because it would attract Muslims, while others expressed concern that Muslim burial practices — Muslims traditionally don't bury their dead in caskets — would present health risks for residents.

"When somebody dies, they bury them at that time," Farmersville resident Troy Gosnell told KTVT-TV. [B"You don't know whether they were shot, diseased or anything else. All they do is wrap them in a sheet, throw them in the grave and bury them."[/B]

Burial experts dismiss such concerns and comments as nonsense.

Khalil Abdur-Rashid, a spokesman for the Islamic association, said misinformation and confusion are fueling critics. He said shrouded bodies would be placed in caskets and entombed in vaults underground, and that the plans for the cemetery have more to do with "human dignity" than religion.

"Some thought it was a mosque going to be built, others thought it was a training ground," Abdur-Rashid told WFAA-TV. "We want to be very clear that this is a cemetery."

There are about five Muslim cemeteries in North Texas and they have little remaining space, so the association needs more land for burial, said Alia Salem, executive director of the Dallas-Fort Worth chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Salem told The Associated Press that state rules limit the places where a new cemetery can be placed, and Farmersville was one of the few options open to the association. The purchase of the land was completed this week, she said.

"We do want to take this opportunity to address misconceptions," she said, explaining that in many cases residents are simply seeking answers.

"The questions about what this means for them, that's legitimate."

:airquote:Health Concerns:airquote:

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 20, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
I think Texas law allows family members or organizational members to claim a body with the intent of performing funeral rites. I believe all you need to do is submit a report of death to the county registrar.

Muslim burial involves washing the body, a funeral cloth and head towards Mecca ( think thats it)

I don't see where this practice violates any Texas laws.

This is clearly an "I hate Muslims" thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And just to be clear even the most religious cemetery will put someone in a vault, casket or not, there's zero health risk.

You know what there IS a health risk in? Not having a facility Muslim citizens feel respects their traditions and thus causing them to do as Dahn said and invoke the law that allows them to just take the body on a 'yea don't worry we got this here's the death certificate' and possibly not having a professional handle it!

Why it's almost as if cemeteries exist FOR the public health or something!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:siren:

quote:

The director of the LBB said the governor’s veto proclamation, listing line items he chose to excise from the new budget, doesn’t have the effect Abbott apparently intended.

“The Proclamation from June 20, 2015 seeks to veto the appropriation for a number of purposes and programs contained in House Bill 1,” LBB Director Ursula Parks wrote. “However, in nearly all instances the Proclamation does not veto the actual appropriation but rather seeks either to veto non or informational items. As it is the case that the Governor may only veto items of for the reasons outlined below I believe that many of the items in Proclamation remain valid provisions.”

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/21/abbotts-budget-vetoes-questioned-lbb/

Someone in the Governor's office hosed Up.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

For lack of a general Texas thread. What's the deal with car inspections now? Mine just expired and I'm hearing even if I get inspected I won't get a sticker so it makes no point until my registration is up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You can't be cited for having an out of date inspection sticker unlike before, so some departments are slow to get the message and are sometimes issuing citations despite it no longer being an offense.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Who cares about the rule of law when public opinion can kill a law we don't like!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Nonsense posted:

You can't be cited for having an out of date inspection sticker unlike before, so some departments are slow to get the message and are sometimes issuing citations despite it no longer being an offense.

So basically Texas. Everyone for themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no it's happening again.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

jaegerx posted:

For lack of a general Texas thread. What's the deal with car inspections now? Mine just expired and I'm hearing even if I get inspected I won't get a sticker so it makes no point until my registration is up.

In fact the inspection has to be within 90 days of the registration expiration so even if you get an inspection now, you'll have to get another one right around when your registration expires.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the site the DMV set up to help people get their heads around the new registration sticker stuff: http://twostepsonesticker.com/

Basically if your current inspection is up before your reg, you have to get an inspection. The inspection will go on file with the DMV and they'll just mail you a new sticker when it's time. The new sticker counts for both.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yay snake! :kimchi:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

quote:

"I just had my headphones in and some guy screamed, 'watch out!' and I looked and there was just a cobra there,

He was this close to winning a Darwin Award.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

enraged_camel posted:

He was this close to winning a Darwin Award.

he was listening to NPR. you can't make this poo poo up.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
The registration/inspection stuff is weird. I had my registration up in February, and inspection ran out in June. As far as I can tell, even though my old inspection sticker had expired, it would be meaningless for me to go get my car inspected now, and I'll have to get it done in the 90 days before my registration expires next year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thefncrow posted:

The registration/inspection stuff is weird. I had my registration up in February, and inspection ran out in June. As far as I can tell, even though my old inspection sticker had expired, it would be meaningless for me to go get my car inspected now, and I'll have to get it done in the 90 days before my registration expires next year.

I don't think that you'd get pulled over this year for not having a inspection sticker just because DPS/local LE are supposed to be giving people grace periods while the new law goes into effect. But in your case I'm not sure because the law went into effect in March and you have a February sticker. Does that site I posted not have explain?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I don't think that you'd get pulled over this year for not having a inspection sticker just because DPS/local LE are supposed to be giving people grace periods while the new law goes into effect. But in your case I'm not sure because the law went into effect in March and you have a February sticker. Does that site I posted not have explain?

Using the thing that says when I have to inspect the car, it just tells me to have the car inspected within 90 days of my next registration. That's pretty much all it says about my situation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thefncrow posted:

Using the thing that says when I have to inspect the car, it just tells me to have the car inspected within 90 days of my next registration. That's pretty much all it says about my situation.

Well, there you go. So starting December 1 of this year is your inspection window.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ken Paxton is getting indicted on Monday.

quote:

McKINNEY — A grand jury has indicted Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on multiple felony charges, according to several sources who are familiar with the complaints.

Special prosecutors in the Paxton case told News 8 they planned to present a third-degree charge of failing to register with the state securities board, as the law requires. They also said they planned to present a first degree felony charge against Paxton accusing him of securities fraud. All indications are that charge is related to Servergy, a McKinney-based company that has been under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

I wonder if he'll step down or ride the bomb down the the ground.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I personally hope Paxton just drinks bleach.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I'm sure that's a big deal and not anything like the Rick Perry indictment last year which was a ridiculous waste of everyone's time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm sure that's a big deal and not anything like the Rick Perry indictment last year which was a ridiculous waste of everyone's time.

Well, seeing how this time Paxton clearly broke a law and already had the regulator say he did....

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Shifty Pony posted:

Ken Paxton is getting indicted on Monday.

I wonder if he'll step down or ride the bomb down the the ground.

He will ride, apparently any plea will involve losing his law license.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

Yes it actually is a huge difference, excellent post!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm not going to say the Rick Perry indictment isn't a waste of time and money but clearly what he did was against the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law. I believe both parties were pieces of poo poo and I think prosecuting it is a tremendous waste of time and money but what he did probably should be illegal even if it was technically not.

This is a completely different animal though because 1. He has already been slapped on the wrist for a similar crime and 2. He is a motherfucking attorney, one of the most powerful ones in the country, he doesn't get to play ignorance of securities law much less after they already gave him a free pass. No, politics aside we shouldn't allow attorneys to repeatedly violate the law after they have already been told not to, Texas disbars attorneys for being addicted to alcohol.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I'm not going to say the Rick Perry indictment isn't a waste of time and money but clearly what he did was against the spirit of the law if not the letter of the law. I believe both parties were pieces of poo poo and I think prosecuting it is a tremendous waste of time and money but what he did probably should be illegal even if it was technically not.

This is a completely different animal though because 1. He has already been slapped on the wrist for a similar crime and 2. He is a motherfucking attorney, one of the most powerful ones in the country, he doesn't get to play ignorance of securities law much less after they already gave him a free pass. No, politics aside we shouldn't allow attorneys to repeatedly violate the law after they have already been told not to, Texas disbars attorneys for being addicted to alcohol.

At a minimum, Perry should cut off funding for his office.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We do? Uh oh. I'm in trouble.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dahn posted:

At a minimum, Perry should cut off funding for his office.

Uh huh.

Anyway, here's Paxton's dumbass face in his mugshot.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Is he drunk, got the lazy eye, or just does not give a poo poo? I really hope this turd goes to jail. Same with Slick Rick.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hope Paxton is found in a certain state of being in the near future, that is all.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

I want to print this out and post it everywhere. I want this to be the face of the republican party in Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

Is he drunk, got the lazy eye, or just does not give a poo poo? I really hope this turd goes to jail. Same with Slick Rick.

He has a lazy eye - there's a reason most pictures of him are from his left.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it might be Bells Palsy or some other neural disorder, you can see that whole side of his face drooping. Which has the effect of making him look like a smirking shithead so I'm fer it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here is his Twitter profile photo

I hope this is his future cell mate

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 3, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When Perry was indicted everyone was falling over themselves to condemn the indictment as baseless and politically motivated. I'm not seeing poo poo in defense of Ken Paxton, which leads me to believe that the party machinery thinks he's hosed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

When Perry was indicted everyone was falling over themselves to condemn the indictment as baseless and politically motivated. I'm not seeing poo poo in defense of Ken Paxton, which leads me to believe that the party machinery thinks he's hosed.

The Perry thing was a case of him breaking the spirit of the law and maybe the letter and more an example of him being a scumbag than anything.

This is just super clear obvious law breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Perry thing was a case of him breaking the spirit of the law and maybe the letter and more an example of him being a scumbag than anything.

This is just super clear obvious law breaking.

Yeah, this isn't the same as the Perry deal:

quote:

Paxton faces three counts: two for securities fraud, and another for acting as an investment advisor or representative without registering.

The indictments were unsealed Monday. They allege that Paxton offered to sell two people more than $100,000 worth of stock in a McKinney technology company, but didn’t disclose that the company was compensating him.

Paxton also didn’t make clear that he hadn’t personally invested in the company, the indictments allege. He received 100,000 shares, but that was in the form of compensation, according to the indictment.

One of the alleged victims in the case is listed as state Rep. Byron Cook, R-Corsicana. The other is identified as Joel Hochberg.

The indictment comes as Servergy is in its own legal trouble. Federal investigators are looking into whether it defrauded investors with false claims about the sales of its data servers and their technological capabilities, according to court filings.

Paxton’s dealings with Servergy appear to have been uncovered during the special prosecutors’ investigation. The case that launched that investigation was his admission that he advised clients without a license for Mowery Capital Management, a business run by his business partner and adviser Frederick “Fritz” Mowery. Paxton began working as a solicitor for companies run by Mowery in 2001.

Mowery is also facing scrutiny from regulators. The State Securities Board has been seeking for months to revoke the company’s investment advisor registration. On Friday, two administrative judges recommended against that idea, but did conclude that the company should be fined $60,000.

The company is accused of failing to disclose a past bankruptcy to clients and making “material misrepresentations” to securities board staff during an investigation.

(http://www.texastribune.org/2015/08/03/paxton-set-surrender-securities-fraud-indictment/)

Now I want fruitcake.