Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I thought she was gonna be an ai in a fake body as soon as "you could say I live mostly in computers" came up. Didn't see VR tho; that had nothing leading up to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rewatching Buffalo Rider for the first time in a while. It really is something, I tell you what.

Also one of the directors of the thing made another man-and-animal-in-the-woods meandering film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcvkAmdas4s

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Rewatching Buffalo Rider for the first time in a while. It really is something, I tell you what.

Also one of the directors of the thing made another man-and-animal-in-the-woods meandering film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcvkAmdas4s

Does it get better as it goes along? I remember buying it awhile back due to the amusing trailer, but the beginning part seemed to have way too much skinning of animals for my liking, and i kind of put another one on after about 20 minutes =/

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

2DCAT posted:

Does it get better as it goes along? I remember buying it awhile back due to the amusing trailer, but the beginning part seemed to have way too much skinning of animals for my liking, and i kind of put another one on after about 20 minutes =/

There's some not-no-nice treatment of animals throughout, but the horrified reactions of Mike, Kevin, and Bill definitely help this kind of stuff go down easier.

Also, "Buffalo Jones" regularly gets his rear end handed to him by vicious animals, so they definitely get some payback.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Just rewatched Julie and Jack and holy poo poo does James Nguyen foreshadow the crap out of the Julie is dead twist. No wonder Mike, Bill, and Kevin barely reacted to it compared to the virtual reality twist.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So Rifftrax is having a 20% off sale for all the shorts, no coupon code needed, they're just reduced to 79¢ (or $1.59 or whatever).

quote:

The Lemonade Stand: What's Fair? $0.79 1 $0.79
Getting Angry $0.79 1 $0.79
Study Skills: Verbal Communication Made Easy $1.59 1 $1.59
A Word to the Wives $0.79 1 $0.79
The Myths of Shoplifting $0.79 1 $0.79
Life in the Suburbs $1.59 1 $1.59
Animal Antics $0.79 1 $0.79
The Relaxed Wife / Consuming Women $1.59 1 $1.59
With An All-star Cast $0.79 1 $0.79
Starting School $0.79 1 $0.79
Fashion Horizons $1.59 1 $1.59
The Other Fellow's Feelings $0.79 1 $0.79
Farm Babies and Their Mothers $0.79 1 $0.79
Alcohol $0.79 1 $0.79
Sailing a Toy Boat $0.79 1 $0.79
Reading From Now On $0.79 1 $0.79
Corky the Crow $0.79 1 $0.79
Beginning Responsibility: Getting Ready for School $0.79 1 $0.79
Animal Homes $0.79 1 $0.79
Prickly the Porcupine $0.79 1 $0.79
Subtotal $23.80
Kickstarter 2014 reward -$0.17
20% off all shorts! -$4.80
Order total $18.83

So I have 229 Shorts now, and Rifftrax's site lists 264 Shorts. :shepspends:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Just rewatched Julie and Jack and holy poo poo does James Nguyen foreshadow the crap out of the Julie is dead twist. No wonder Mike, Bill, and Kevin barely reacted to it compared to the virtual reality twist.

When the VR twist was revealed, I had the same reaction as Mike, but the second "twist" was waaaaaaay too drat obvious.

On a different note, we finally watched Zlateh the goat.

:psypop:

HOLY poo poo IT'S HAPPENING!

They just released MEGAFORCE!

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 31, 2015

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New VOD

Motherfucking MEGAFORCE!

Link

1982. The decade of the action hero was underway. Within years, catchphrase-mumbling sentient biceps like Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Guttenburg would come to dominate the cinemas. Audiences hungered for mayhem, bloodshed, and for a very brief period of time, Billy Zabka. What they got instead was Megaforce.

Named “Movie of the Year” by critics from a diverse array of publications including “Upsetting Jumpsuit Enthusiast,” “Dweeby Dirtbike Review,” and “Our Memories are Severely Clouded by Nostalgia Monthly,” Megaforce made film history by giving lead character Barry Bostwick both a funny headband and a funny hairstyle. They would prove to be the film’s most enduring legacy. Some viewers may criticize its paper-thin plot, tedious action sequences of no consequence, and overall cheap feel despite having a shockingly high budget for the era. To this we respond: funny headband and funny hairstyle.

Leaders of the Free World have issued denials of the existence of Megaforce, but then again, seven year old Johnny Roddy saw it on Beta it at a friend’s sleepover in 1984 and said it was “Almost as badical as Condorman!” Who are you going to choose to believe? (We would point out that there is a rumor circulating over by the curly slide that Johnny Roddy eats his boogers.) Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill (who do not) for the oft-requested RiffTrax of Megaforce!

E: I remember seeing this in the theaters.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 31, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh gently caress yes.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'm pretty sure the twist was engineered because Nguyen couldn't afford filming permits.

Also, NO IDEA what Tippi Hedren was doing in this. It felt like Nguyen won a charity auction or something.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2015

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Rifftrax is working with Kino, for one movie at least:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Holy poo poo, I've been waiting for someone to do that. Granted I was hoping for modern movies, but still, it's about time they got the chance to do this.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Omnishambles posted:

Motherfucking MEGAFORCE!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh gently caress yes.

Bought IMMEDIATELY.

And they worked in a reference from Kentucky Fried Movie. :perfect:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So I'm about a half hour into Megaforce.

I have no idea what's going on. But there are a lot of people talking about things. :psyduck:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Megaforce is more of a GI Joe movie than the actual GI Joe movies.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
My god is Megaforce amazing...

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Command Ant posted:

Megaforce is more of a GI Joe movie than the actual GI Joe movies.

I had the same thought except I though it was more like an episode of the cartoon.

I remember when it came out. For months before there were ads in all the comic books for it. I was pretty excited for it as an 8 year old.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Omnishambles posted:

I remember when it came out. For months before there were ads in all the comic books for it. I was pretty excited for it as an 8 year old.

I was 11, and you're drat right I saw it at the Loring AFB theater.

2DCAT posted:

My god is Megaforce amazing...

It's so perfect for this treatment. I mean, there is not one element of the film that isn't worthy of being punched.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I was 11, and you're drat right I saw it at the Loring AFB theater.

It's so perfect for this treatment. I mean, there is not one element of the film that isn't worthy of being punched.

I don't know. About an hour in I was getting bored. So much talking and exposition and nonsense. The riff was great and they did a good job getting through it but man I was tempted to start skipping.

But the last half hour or so made up for it. That was just bonkers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know this might not be the place for this, but I know one of you can help me with this. In the early 90's there was a lovely syndicated TV show that had a name like Mega Force. It also featured a futuristic motorcycle. I remember it being a somewhat dark show. I searched Google high and low while watching Megaforce, but I couldn't find it. Your help is most appreciated.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know this might not be the place for this, but I know one of you can help me with this. In the early 90's there was a lovely syndicated TV show that had a name like Mega Force. It also featured a futuristic motorcycle. I remember it being a somewhat dark show. I searched Google high and low while watching Megaforce, but I couldn't find it. Your help is most appreciated.
Street Hawk? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCItnKrXvMM

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gk2LbZief0

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Just downloading Megaforce now...what is it with Persis Khambata ending up in movies with losers with sci-fi motorcycles??

(Also please tell me they make at least one Warrior of the Lost World joke.)

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

I just want to say that the fact that you can immediately think of and post the intros to two entirely unrelated horrible 80's TV shows involving militarized motorcycles is nothing short of astounding to me. What a decade!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You guys forgot the comedy option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXe4CKKf9o

And the cartoon option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwSDLb7wzek

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ha, the first thing I did after reading the previous post was look up M.A.S.K.

I'm so old...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Definitely Superforce. I knew it was live action. I should have mentioned that. Man I miss the days of lovely syndicated shows airing at the oddest hours on independent UHF stations.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Definitely Superforce. I knew it was live action. I should have mentioned that. Man I miss the days of lovely syndicated shows airing at the oddest hours on independent UHF stations.

That was how I originally saw a bunch of movies that ended up on MST3K. When you are in some little podunk town all summer long and it is raining outside, your options were pretty limited.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Canned Panda posted:

That was how I originally saw a bunch of movies that ended up on MST3K. When you are in some little podunk town all summer long and it is raining outside, your options were pretty limited.

That's pretty much how MST3K got started in the first place.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Canned Panda posted:

Just got back from Minnesota and did find of thrifting. Picked up 17 vhs tapes....the Midwest is a goldmine of bad cinema foe some reason lol

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Omnishambles posted:

Ha, the first thing I did after reading the previous post was look up M.A.S.K.

I'm so old...

The only thing I remembered of M.A.S.K. was the car with the doors that opened upwards like a Delorean.

I definitely did not remember that 80s-as-gently caress theme song.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

raditts posted:

The only thing I remembered of M.A.S.K. was the car with the doors that opened upwards like a Delorean.

I definitely did not remember that 80s-as-gently caress theme song.

How could you forget the motorcycle that turned into a helicopter?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The latest Rifftrax short features music from Progress Island. Also, menstruation.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Since it is International Beer Day, the RiffTrax Short As We Like It is free today only!

http://www.rifftrax.com/as-we-like-it

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I've really been liking the Bridget and Mary Jo shorts, so I picked up Naturally a Girl and it was just okay. They have some good chemistry, so I'm hoping at some point they can do a full length movie. Or at least different kinds of shorts so its not Rifftrax for Women.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I've really been liking the Bridget and Mary Jo shorts, so I picked up Naturally a Girl and it was just okay.

Only okay? That's sad to hear. Oh well, picking up that and the free alcohol short almost make it like buy one, get one free.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I've really been liking the Bridget and Mary Jo shorts, so I picked up Naturally a Girl and it was just okay. They have some good chemistry, so I'm hoping at some point they can do a full length movie. Or at least different kinds of shorts so its not Rifftrax for Women.

It's not as good as their other ones (this one feels a bit more improvised and relaxed, less scripted) but it's still worth getting. I do hope too they do a full length movie at some point.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

finished stone cold.

i uhhh... kinda liked it. the villain was real good.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

PrinceRandom posted:

finished stone cold.

i uhhh... kinda liked it. the villain was real good.

Yeah I have to admit I felt the same way. This is a good example of my favorite types of riffs, where the film has glaring flaws but it's enjoyable on its own and still has some good riffs. I'll admit I didn't think Brian Bosworth was that bad of a action star, maybe a little bland but there are far far worse. The worst part about him was that distractingly horrible mullet. And Lance Henriksen as "Chains" was awesome, he is easily one of the most under appreciated actors of the era. The man can do menacing really well.

One of the things I found really interesting about Stone Cold is that it is almost the same movie as Radical Jack, just better in every way. Bosworth may be a little dull but he is leaps and bounds better than Billy Ray. The action in Stone Cold is far more interesting to watch seeing as it isn't all just cut-away punches. And though I'd argue Stone Cold is actually a bit too dark for its own good, it's a much more fun movie to watch.

They both made for good riffs, but I think I liked Stone Cold more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Dark... yeah.

I like how the FBI failed at everything they wanted to do. Everyone's assassinated and no one's arrested. Sure the leaders dead but apparently they still have a compound with like hundreds more armed bikers. and the lady dying came out of no where

• Locked thread