Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I think I'm getting the hang of the 155mm Mogami. I wasnt a fan at first, but now that I realize your goal is "get to within 10km of a cruiser and poo poo HE all over it", I'm doing well. Came around the corner and had an Atago with his broadside showing. First 3 volleys with a 7 second reload, were 8k, 5k and 7k damage. He panicked and drove into a wall, then an Iowa citadeled him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm new to this game. I read about the different ships, but which lines are the most fun to play?

Can I use the secondary guns? How do I use the AA guns? Can I lock guns in place and swivel my view around?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nektu posted:

I'm new to this game. I read about the different ships, but which lines are the most fun to play?

Can I use the secondary guns? How do I use the AA guns? Can I lock guns in place and swivel my view around?
Secondaries and AA guns just fire on any targets that get within their range by themselves. If there's more than one target in range you can prioritize by holding control and clicking on whatever you want them to shoot. You can press Control+X to lock your main guns on one spot so that you can look around without turning them.

Which lines are fun to play are kind of subjective although all of the Japanese lines except destroyers have at least one ship early on that is complete garbage that you will have to claw your way through to reach the fun ships.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Nektu posted:

IMO American battleships/cruisers and Japanese destroyers are the most fun but YMMV.

As for the other questions:

No you can't, they just auto fire at ships within their range (I think they prioritize whatever you have targeted if it's within their firing arc)

AA will automatically fire at planes within their range, press "P" to turn them off, useful for destroyers that don't want their AA revealing them to aircraft.

Hold the right mouse button to look around without moving your guns.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Discovered this from playing with pubbies today:

Details about it are fuzzy at the moment as I just discovered this, but you can get this ship plus a free slot with the code: ALBANY.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does anyone know what the experience penalty for playing Co-Op battles are? If it is low then it may not be a poo poo idea to get your first win out of the day in there just to get it out of the way/out of your head. If the penalty is high then maybe the mode is completely useless then.

Edit: Anyone have opinions on when you should start looking into upgrades for your ships? I feel like if you are going to spend a substantial time in that ship, whether to get to the next one or just because you like it, then it is worth it. The grind starts getting really substantial at tier 5 or so, so that may be a good time to start decking your ships out in battery enhancements and things like that.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I started at T5, yes

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Artificer posted:

Does anyone know what the experience penalty for playing Co-Op battles are? If it is low then it may not be a poo poo idea to get your first win out of the day in there just to get it out of the way/out of your head. If the penalty is high then maybe the mode is completely useless then.

Edit: Anyone have opinions on when you should start looking into upgrades for your ships? I feel like if you are going to spend a substantial time in that ship, whether to get to the next one or just because you like it, then it is worth it. The grind starts getting really substantial at tier 5 or so, so that may be a good time to start decking your ships out in battery enhancements and things like that.

It looks to be close to 50% if not more, plus the fact that there are less botes for you to shoot. Doing almost nothing and then losing in PvP still nets me as much as an "average" win would in a bot match.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

It looks to be close to 50% if not more, plus the fact that there are less botes for you to shoot. Doing almost nothing and then losing in PvP still nets me as much as an "average" win would in a bot match.

Ah, there we go then. gently caress that mode.

Pharnakes posted:

I started at T5, yes

Fair enough.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Tier 3 skill for a BB captain - damage repair 10% faster or torpedo spotting? I figure you're probably too slow to easily dodge torpedoes even with the bonus, but I dont know how much worse it gets at higher tiers as the ships get heavier but the torps do too.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo the armor on a St. Louis is unreal. Or I'm just aiming poorly on them. Having trouble getting citadel hits on them even in my Omaha.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo the armor on a St. Louis is unreal. Or I'm just aiming poorly on them. Having trouble getting citadel hits on them even in my Omaha.

There's a second armor layer on the inside of the ship that covers the entire citadel.

EDIT: you should still be able to at least pen the outer layer, though unless you're a BB setting them on fire with HE is still probably better.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 1, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Unless im in a Battleship I stopped trying to fire AP at St. Louises, way too many bounces for me

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

OSad posted:

This is unfortunately the frustrating part about cruisers and HE. If the cruiser is paying attention to you, and you're at a considerable range of fifteen kilometers or more, you have about a snowball's chance in hell to kill said cruiser, because they're just that good at kiting battleships around. Because of their good rate of fire, if you try to close in the distance, they will outpace you, adjust their aim if you move, and continue to shower you with hits. Trying to run away is unviable unless you have an island to hide behind, since you are just not maneuverable enough to disengage from again, their stellar rate of fire.

It doesn't even matter what type of ammunition we're talking here: the cruiser may very well kill you in this fashion by spalling damage from AP shells alone. HE shells obviously do more damage because of the fire chance. Like it's been said, you can spec against it, but you can never get the fire chance completely to zero, and HE shells still do area damage anyway so it hardly matters if there was no fire at all.

Not really sure it needs to be changed or tweaked though. When I find a cruiser doing that poo poo to me, I just try to disengage as fast as possible, since there's not that much I can try to do to hurt him. I can try to shoot around the place where I think he'll turn, but with battleship dispersion that's just an even bigger :rolldice: than before. You need your team to help you against good cruiser players.

Yeah, this is pretty much my experience in those games. I dunno! I was on my own, but that was in an attempt to actually defend our cap from the entire enemy team that came around yin-yang style and rolled up on me. The cruisers just pointed their noses at me and laughed at my dispersion neatly bracketing their ships with Wild Water Kingdom fountain fun.

OH WELL screw it, I'm just gonna power through to the Aoba and hope for the best the rest of the time. Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Are missions bugged? (Silly me, what am I saying...)

I've got more than 50 hours to update on a mission I completed two days ago, and I'm sure it wasn't that high yesterday.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I thought Wallet Warrior guy was doing some kind of goony yolo troll routine, but it seems he really is legit mad about people spending money on a game. :stonklol:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Timmy Horsey posted:

Details about it are fuzzy at the moment as I just discovered this, but you can get this ship plus a free slot with the code: ALBANY.

hey guys I didn't read the thread but

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

OSad posted:

From what I understand, the Atago beats the Murmansk's credit-making ability handily. To get 450-500k in the Murmansk, you need a monster game every time. That's just the average on the Atago, apparently.
What are the Atago service costs? I don't have an Atago, but I would assume the Murmansk is probably better at making credits for the time. Murmansk often gets to seal club on smaller maps (more targets per game and more games per hour) while Atago can get tier X matches on the ice map. The service cost on a destroyed Murmansk plus resupplying the faster repair is less than 50k credits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Timmy Horsey posted:

Yesss free ship in my harbour :getin:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Sperglord Actual posted:

I thought Wallet Warrior guy was doing some kind of goony yolo troll routine, but it seems he really is legit mad about people spending money on a game. :stonklol:

Maybe he is trying to devalue the $. Currency wars.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Timmy Horsey posted:

Hey it worked thanks for the free slot and a ship worth 375,000 spacebucks if you sell it

Im tempted to use it and then complain like I cant believe I spent $15 on this terrible ship just to see how the average pubbie reacts

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Timmy Horsey posted:

I really loving love that turn-of-the-century paintscheme US Navy ships used. :allears:

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Turns out the Albany was a code meant for the anniversary tomorrow but was leaked early. At least they're gonna let people who have it now use it.

e: Testing the Albany a bit, it's really cool for a T2 Cruiser to have 152mm guns to poke holes with VVV I'm a big dumb and that's correct, but the 6.3 km firing range is problematic. :negative:

Timmy Horsey fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 2, 2015

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The 152mm guns aren't even a novelty at this tier. Both Chester and Chikuma have them.

They do look somewhat bigger on the Albany, but the only novelty on this ship seems to be a 1.5 rounds/min higher rate of fire for that pretty lovely range trade-off. Armor-wise, it does better than the Chester but worse than the Chikuma (Chester seems to lack all of the spaced armor goodness inside of the ship that the Chikuma and Albany have).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OSad posted:

The 152mm guns aren't even a novelty at this tier. Both Chester and Chikuma have them.

They do look somewhat bigger on the Albany, but the only novelty on this ship seems to be a 1.5 rounds/min higher rate of fire for that pretty lovely range trade-off. Armor-wise, it does better than the Chester but worse than the Chikuma (Chester seems to lack all of the spaced armor goodness inside of the ship that the Chikuma and Albany have).

Also it only has four main caliber guns to shoot off the broadside.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Clarence posted:

Are missions bugged? (Silly me, what am I saying...)

I've got more than 50 hours to update on a mission I completed two days ago, and I'm sure it wasn't that high yesterday.

Their queue thing is a bit confusing. You get a new mission every 24 hours until you fill up those 3 spots. I'm assuming you had one that said 2 hours, one that said 26 and one that said 50. That's just basically saying if you wait 50 hours there will be a new mission in that slot.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I hate to say it, but I think I am giving up US destroyers. The grind is insane for essentially the same ship with different, not necessarily better, torpedoes.

Upgraded Farragut to Mahan, 60k xp.
Mahan xp sink to get rid of the lovely 4.5km torps, 26.7k xp.
Mahan to Benson, 115k xp.
Benson xp sink to finally get torps longer than concealment, 36k xp.
Benson B hull to Fletcher, 180k xp.
Fletcher B hull and 10.5km torps, 70.5k xp.

Grand total = 488.2k xp while skipping non-essential module research. :suicide:

Screw that with the smoke nerf. It is a shame. The Fletcher was a lot of fun in closed beta.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I have found a fun way to play carriers: co-op battles. In co-op battles, I don't have to ever worry about losing or being a liability to my team for being lovely at carriers, I don't have to worry about the enemy carrier anally rectifying me at the start of the match, the targets never attempt to dodge the spreads and that leaves me with plenty of room to experiment with drops and try to get good at them. Plus in-between drops, I can relax and do other things in the meantime, like masturbate to anime and shitpost on the WoWs forums.

Carriers are excellent. Co-op battles are excellent. Anime is excellent. This combination is excellent.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I finally decided to equip the upgraded Farragut hulls and the 4.5km torps, and while I do give up the chance to torp fast cruisers trying to approach me, the damage boost makes even a single torp fatal on all DDs and much deadlier when landed on BBs/CAs. I can't recall the last time my torps fizzled before hitting a target, mainly because all of my torp runs are open water rushes or ambushes around a corner.

It would be nice, though, to give US DDs the option to swap out Engine Boost or Smoke (this would be much more painful) for Defensive Fire, if you take the AA upgraded hull. It'd give them another niche they could fill.

OSad posted:

like masturbate to anime
tmi

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Tier 3 skill for a BB captain - damage repair 10% faster or torpedo spotting? I figure you're probably too slow to easily dodge torpedoes even with the bonus, but I dont know how much worse it gets at higher tiers as the ships get heavier but the torps do too.

Vigilance can be helpful, but generally High Alert is going to be more useful as you get more experienced - especially given how prevalent fire currently is. Especially at higher tiers, torpedoes are currently hampered by being way too easy to spot, with the top tier IJN torpedoes giving you something like nearly 12 seconds to react to them. This is also discounting the fact that at the high tiers there are going to be bunches of planes flying around, all of which can spot torpedoes as well, with seemingly the same viewing range as ships, and reveal them to all ships. Though the counterpoint to this is that WG may, MAY, eventually reduce the ranges, or at least remove/heavily cut plane spotting, they can be spotted at to something reasonable, at which point Vigilance might actually be decently useful.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
I want to like the Albany. I really do. I just can't find a reason why. The guns are pathetically short ranged, and every time I get hit I lose engines. Multiple times a game. Not to mention detonations. Anyone had better luck?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Han Feizi posted:

I want to like the Albany. I really do. I just can't find a reason why. The guns are pathetically short ranged, and every time I get hit I lose engines. Multiple times a game. Not to mention detonations. Anyone had better luck?

no, sell it and fill the slot with a better ship unless you have literally 0 premiums, and even then its still a bad boat

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Don't sell your Albanies, you doofers. You may not be able to ever get them back again!

They come in their own slots so you can just ignore the ship if you don't like it.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

yaay posted:

hey guys I didn't read the thread but

but the same can be said for half the other people posting in it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Havelock Ellis posted:

They generally run the length of the center of the ship, under the smokestacks and fore and aft gun turrets. Aim for the waterline under the smokestacks and you should be able to hit it if you can penetrate.

Wait, so like right at the water? I generally aim about halfway between the deck and the water.

If a shot hits even slightly low, would it just stop there, or do shots travel underwater for a short distance? I get the feeling my terrible (46%) win rate will get a lot better once I figure out what the hell I'm doing with regards to citadels and ranges to engage at. I generally just engage at whatever range I run into people at. Probably also if I can ever get in a platoon division, teamwork is OP.

E: How good is the Albany going to be at making credits? I'd think that a mid-tier standard ship will do better, if it's anything like WoT. I'm inclined to sell mine because I need more slots to be able to keep both my seal clubbers and progress into later ships.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 2, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, so like right at the water? I generally aim about halfway between the deck and the water.

If a shot hits even slightly low, would it just stop there, or do shots travel underwater for a short distance? I get the feeling my terrible (46%) win rate will get a lot better once I figure out what the hell I'm doing with regards to citadels and ranges to engage at. I generally just engage at whatever range I run into people at. Probably also if I can ever get in a platoon division, teamwork is OP.

E: How good is the Albany going to be at making credits? I'd think that a mid-tier standard ship will do better, if it's anything like WoT. I'm inclined to sell mine because I need more slots to be able to keep both my seal clubbers and progress into later ships.

My understanding is you can do damage with AP under water (and get those sweet, sweet citadels), but shots hitting the water do lose some of their velocity and armor penetration. But if you are slinging big shells I dont think it will matter hugely

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 2, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don't most ships also not have armor plating below the water line? I remember someone saying that's why torpedoes do so much damage against BBs.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Jack_tripper posted:

but the same can be said for half the other people posting in it

touché

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

TSBX posted:

Goddamnit Wargaming, I've been on the same kill 8 planes in one battle mission for a week because I don't want to be a carrier, and my best AA is on my Phoenix and whoever I try to protect gets attacked 0% of the time from the air. Let me pay silver to make that poo poo go away already.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Don't most ships also not have armor plating below the water line? I remember someone saying that's why torpedoes do so much damage against BBs.

That tends to be how it works IRL, yes. However most larger ships of the era (especially BBs) have Torpedo Bulges or Torpedo Belts, which are segmented, sealed pockets of air and/or water below the water line designed to absorb a torpedo's blast without compromising the ship's ability to float. Of course, these didn't always work great, but they could often be quite effective. At least against side-impacting torpedoes. The most modern WW2 Torpedoes had magnetic detonators, allowing the torpedo to be fired just under the ship. The detonator would then sense the ship above and explode, causing massive damage to the ship's underside (smaller, less durable ships could be literally broken in half). Torpedo Defenses didn't help much against these.