Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Silver Alicorn posted:

my computer died

livin the dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Heresiarch posted:

return the ssd to newegg regardless and put the money into the fund to buy an entire new system that is not garbage

money isnt the problem here i just dont really care about upgrading

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Corla Plankun posted:

money isnt the problem here i just dont really care about upgrading

there was some ssds that when powered on for a certain period of time(10min) then they would fail. fw update fixed the problem.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I fixed my computer. apparently seagate made some crappy hard drives 2 years ago

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

I fixed my computer. apparently seagate made makes some crappy hard drives 2 years ago

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

seems most of their drives have been bad, since back to 7200.11

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

except they will just die horribly now and you can't just log into it over serial and fix it with some words

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

what's the best twitter app to use on windows. For example I want something that when I retweet I will be able to add a comment, but NOT quote tweet like the web interface does. I want my end result to be "[my comment] RT @fart eat the eggs"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i want to get a smaller case for my desktop (right now i have some goon recommended fractal design thing, r5 maybe?) but i hve a full size atx motherboard. are there any cases smaller than an atx mid-tower (like less than 18-20" high) or do i pretty much need to get a new mobo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Beeftweeter posted:

i hve a full size atx motherboard

lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

the pc part picking thread in sh/sc is really good though, ask there imho

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beeftweeter posted:

i want to get a smaller case for my desktop (right now i have some goon recommended fractal design thing, r5 maybe?) but i hve a full size atx motherboard. are there any cases smaller than an atx mid-tower (like less than 18-20" high) or do i pretty much need to get a new mobo

I too have this question I guess, I have a Antec p180 and while it's very nice it is far too big

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

what's the best twitter app to use on windows. For example I want something that when I retweet I will be able to add a comment, but NOT quote tweet like the web interface does. I want my end result to be "[my comment] RT @fart eat the eggs"

i need to know this too because the twitter website is so slow

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

my stepdads beer posted:

i need to know this too because the twitter website is so slow
the best twitter webclient is tweetdeck but it does not do that thing

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

yeah wasn't this an actual program at some point? I guess twitter bought them

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

our marketing guy at work uses hoot suite maybe that's something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

yeah wasn't this an actual program at some point? I guess twitter bought them
there was a desktop client a long time ago but lol it used adobe air

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

anthonypants posted:

ty

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i am having a weird problem with SA in particular

i cant get anything other than the top nav bar to load on anything connected to my network, but it works fine over LTE on tmo and at&t. i'm not adblocking it and it still happens even when i disable things that adblock other stuff (glimmerblocker, adblock on chrome, ghostery on safari). even then the only thing i really did to SA was change 219.css with glimmerblocker to use menlo on ios instead of courier new because gently caress courier new

also i found out if i'm logged out it works fine (thanks firefox) but HA HA STAY LOGGED OUT isnt really a great solution

e: ps with glimmerblocker enabled i get a "connection reset" error after the nav bar loads, maybe this sheds some light on whats happening idk?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 1, 2015

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i am having a weird problem with SA in particular

i cant get anything other than the top nav bar to load on anything connected to my network, but it works fine over LTE on tmo and at&t. i'm not adblocking it and it still happens even when i disable things that adblock other stuff (glimmerblocker, adblock on chrome, ghostery on safari). even then the only thing i really did to SA was change 219.css with glimmerblocker to use menlo on ios instead of courier new because gently caress courier new

also i found out if i'm logged out it works fine (thanks firefox) but HA HA STAY LOGGED OUT isnt really a great solution

clear cookies/cache/etc?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

clear cookies/cache/etc?

yeah i did all that (except cookies) before messing with glimmerblocker etc. even but it didn't help

anyway it seems to have resolved itself somehow so i guess you guys can ignore that. still really weird though and i have no idea what actually happened

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

so how does upgrading a phone work on the verizon website, i've only ever gone into the store to do it and this time i want to upgrade to the new iphone right when it comes out

can i get it through the verizon website on keynote day or am i better off ordering it through apple? if i order it through apple how do i link it up with my verizon account?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm in the market for a new router since my old one is b/g only with a 10/100 switch

what are some good models, and i'm told that custom firmware isn't as necessary as it used to be, is that true?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

do I want a 3d monitor or should I just get an oculus

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
engadget/wirecutter recommended a 100$ tp link router, take from that what you will

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
The microtik router I got 2 years ago has yet to have any problems, plus routeros owns for control.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh yeah, I've been using a netgear wnr3500l for a while, with the stock firmware, couldn't want for much else. it'll even do samba sharing out of the box.

don't quote stymie

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have an asus rt-n66u (n/a/g/b) and a rt-ac66u (ac etc.) and they're both solid as heck and you can put whatever firmware you want on them. theres also a pimped out version of the stock firmware that gives you a little more control but still lets you use the asus stuff

i also have an old airport extreme (n 2.4/5ghz but only one at a time) and it refuses to die. im using it as a time machine target/nas

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i have a tp link wdr 3600 which i assume is the precursor to this one and it is very needs suiting, it even has no-ip.com integration which is nice for remote desktop and such

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a problem w/ gradient meshes: SVG doesn't support them yet. Whats the best way to create a set of (x,y) points with colors for each, and then have whatever program automatically make a raster of the gradient mesh version of those points/colors at whatever width/height seems good to me? i don't want to do effort to get this done. Alternatively, anything that can parse and display SVG2 on windows would be rad.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

obstipator posted:

i have a problem w/ gradient meshes: SVG doesn't support them yet. Whats the best way to create a set of (x,y) points with colors for each, and then have whatever program automatically make a raster of the gradient mesh version of those points/colors at whatever width/height seems good to me? i don't want to do effort to get this done. Alternatively, anything that can parse and display SVG2 on windows would be rad.

holy fuckballs, i've been messing around with that for like 2 days and just realized imagemagick is a thing that exists and actually has this. why didn't it come up during my googling!!!!!
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/canvas/#sparse-color

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

obstipator posted:

holy fuckballs, i've been messing around with that for like 2 days and just realized imagemagick is a thing that exists and actually has this. why didn't it come up during my googling!!!!!
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/canvas/#sparse-color

yeah, imagemagick is the ffmpeg for images

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

obstipator posted:

sned the yostop

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this works for me and was within my price range, so thank

then amazon included this in the recommendations so f you amazon t:mad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...2&pf_rd_i=typ01

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i upgraded my mac to the el capitan beta as i am a fancy developer person and now i get a popup saying "this java application cannot be opened" because it uses Java SE 6 that steals focus every 15 seconds

i don't know how to janitor my mac (just works lol!) so how do i figure out what's causing this popup so i can get rid of it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Luigi Thirty posted:

i upgraded my mac to the el capitan beta as i am a fancy developer person and now i get a popup saying "this java application cannot be opened" because it uses Java SE 6 that steals focus every 15 seconds

i don't know how to janitor my mac (just works lol!) so how do i figure out what's causing this popup so i can get rid of it

it usually tells you what app is trying to use java? anyway if you use glimmerblocker that uses java, idk what else would be running in the background that you might forget you have

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

apparently it's some old-rear end adobe utility i forgot i had installed and i got it. now i can go back to making fart apps, but in 10.11

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
try a different version of java se?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I moved my computer tower from the floor to the desk. Turns out it's really loud. How do I make it quieter?

And before you ask, it's an AMD FX-6300, and it suits my needs except for the sound issue. Using the stock fan it came with. Basically I'm asking what's a good CPU cooler that won't break the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
blow all the dust out of your cpu fan and heatsink first. i was having a similar problem a few months ago where the cpu fan (also a stock amd one) was running too hard all the time because the system was overheating, and cleaning out all the crud between the heatsink vanes and in the fan blades made it run quiet again because the cooling system was actually working properly