Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Blackchamber posted:

Percentage of income, not total amount of taxes paid. Back to the example given earlier, if a person paid $1000 bucks a year on cigarettes and only made 20k, that would hit them harder than a guy who smokes the same amount payes the same in taxes (1k) but makes 80k.

I know you said percentage. It's why I said what I said.

A guy that only makes 20k and spends 1k, verse a guy that makes 100k and spends 10k. Wealthier people spend a much larger amount AND percentage on sales tax, and then there is luxury tax as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

goodness posted:

A guy that only makes 20k and spends 1k, verse a guy that makes 100k and spends 10k. Wealthier people spend a much larger amount AND percentage on sales tax, and then there is luxury tax as well.

See how mixed up you are, you can't even tell I wasn't the original guy making the statement you were replying to.

Next you changed the amounts to suit your argument. Why is the rich guy suddenly paying 10k on cigarette taxes? Suddenly he has to have 10 times the taxes on the same pack of cigs? Oh thats right, to skew the percentages.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Blackchamber posted:

See how mixed up you are, you can't even tell I wasn't the original guy making the statement you were replying to.

Next you changed the amounts to suit your argument. Why is the rich guy suddenly paying 10k on cigarette taxes? Suddenly he has to have 10 times the taxes on the same pack of cigs? Oh thats right, to skew the percentages.

Phone posting so I didn't notice oops.

Anyway, it's not about cigarettes. It is about sales tax. The rich guy is going spend way more on fancy food then the poor spends on his, same with almost everything else. The percentages spent probably scale evenly until you get to the really wealthy.

Even with cigarettes, rich dudes are going to be smoking cigars and nice cigarettes, wasting half or whole cigs or even packs, etc. Not a pack of marlboros and sucking every last puff you can down to the filter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Anyway, it's not about cigarettes. It is about sales tax. The rich guy is going spend way more on fancy food then the poor spends on his, same with almost everything else. The percentages spent probably scale evenly until you get to the really wealthy.

Even with cigarettes, rich dudes are going to be smoking cigars and nice cigarettes, wasting half or whole cigs or even packs, etc. Not a pack of marlboros and sucking every last puff you can down to the filter.
First off, most cigarette taxes are flat, per-pack taxes, not based on the price of the cigarettes. Second, poor people spend a waaaaaaayyyyyyy higher percentage of their income than middle-class or even mildly rich people do, to say nothing of the incredibly tiny percentage of their income the very wealthy spend. This is, like, econ 101 poo poo.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Thanatosian posted:

First off, most cigarette taxes are flat, per-pack taxes, not based on the price of the cigarettes. Second, poor people spend a waaaaaaayyyyyyy higher percentage of their income than middle-class or even mildly rich people do, to say nothing of the incredibly tiny percentage of their income the very wealthy spend. This is, like, econ 101 poo poo.

I think you are wayyyyyyyy over exaggerating how people manage their money. Most people can't save to save their life and gladly take out suicide loans/mortgages to live the dream. How do you have so much confidence in Americans when you walk around town and see how people act. (I am just talking about poor vs middle class). The really wealthy make so much that it tanks the percentage.)

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 1, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Goodness I want you to tell us what percentage of income each of the different brackets spend of sales taxes.

Edit: As in not just making figures up out of nothing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

goodness posted:

Even with cigarettes, rich dudes are going to be smoking cigars and nice cigarettes. Not a pack of marlboros.

Well obviously rich guy is going to be buying expensive things and paying taxes on them.

Also, obviously we cant compare apples to oranges, so we're comparing things they would likely have in common and seeing what percentage of their income it is. Cigarettes is a pretty good example in my opinion because I work with a ton of guys who all make well over 150k a year (your last example was 100k) and they aren't smoking cigars in the back of the building and lighting them with 100 dollar bills, I see them buying marlboros. (Not my boss though, he smokes newports)

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 1, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Blackchamber posted:

Well obviously rich guy is going to be buying expensive things and paying taxes on them.

Obviously we cant compare apples to oranges, so we're comparing things they would likely have in common and seeing what percentage of their income it is. Cigarettes is a pretty good example in my opinion because I work with a ton of guys who all make well over 150k a year (your last example was 100k) and they aren't smoking cigars in the back of the building and lighting them with 100 dollar bills, I see them buying marlboros.

If you want to make it about cigarettes so much, then why don't you discuss the bigger problem. Why do so many poor people smoke cigarettes and ruin their lives/savings even further. Work on fixing the personal problems that out people in the situation where minimum wage is not enough.

If you use tobacco you are even dumber than a lot of my posts.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Maybe because even poor people need a vice to cope with their lovely lives? I see plenty of bums on the street picking up cigarette butts to re-burn and I never think to myself 'well poo poo, last thing this guy needs is a cigarette!'. Are you making the argument that these people wouldn't be poor if they only stopped smoking?

Lets change it then. Gas. Both Joe 6-pack (of beer not abs) and Mr Worthmore the 3rd have cars with the same size tank, and by some miracle they drive the same amount of miles (one guy commutes the other joy rides) and Mr Worthmore the 3rd just throws his visa black at the full service gas monkey who feels like hes screwing the rich by giving them poo poo octane gas that isnt right for the car which is the same as Joes... lets just say they are even across the board. Joe can't use the bus or bike because his job requires he visit job sites but they wont give him a company car, etc so you can't gripe about the poors owning vehicles is stupid, yada yada...

They both pay California's gas tax on .30 on the gallon and thats 360.00 bucks a year. Joe is paying 1.6% of his income on fuel tax yearly (20k) and Worthmore is only paying 0.36% of his income (100k).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Blackchamber posted:

Maybe because even poor people need a vice to cope with their lovely lives? I see plenty of bums on the street picking up cigarette butts to re-burn and I never think to myself 'well poo poo, last thing this guy needs is a cigarette!'. Are you making the argument that these people wouldn't be poor if they only stopped smoking?

Lets change it then. Gas. Both Joe 6-pack (of beer not abs) and Mr Worthmore the 3rd have cars with the same size tank, and by some miracle they drive the same amount of miles (one guy commutes the other joy rides) and Mr Worthmore the 3rd just throws his visa black at the full service gas monkey who feels like hes screwing the rich by giving them poo poo octane gas that isnt right for the car which is the same as Joes... lets just say they are even across the board. Joe can't use the bus or bike because his job requires he visit job sites but they wont give him a company car, etc so you can't gripe about the poors owning vehicles is stupid, yada yada...

They both pay California's gas tax on .30 on the gallon and thats 360.00 bucks a year. Joe is paying 1.6% of his income on fuel tax yearly (20k) and Worthmore is only paying 0.36% of his income (100k).

(You are confused and think I don't understand how the percentage works. I get it)

And that all goes out the window if you know how cars work and that rich people like to buy multiple, expensive gas-chuggers that need premium gasoline. Making up an imaginary scenario that isn't logical does not help the point.

What if rich and poor spent the same amount of money on things? What if? That's not reality.

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 2, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Please answer my question, goodness. Thanks!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

goodness posted:

And that all goes out the window if you know how cars work and that rich people like to buy multiple, expensive gas-chuggers that need premium gasoline. Making up an imaginary scenario that isn't logical does not help the point.

What if rich and poor spent the same amount of money on things? What if? That's not reality.

goodness posted:

even dumber than a lot of my posts.
I see what you mean now about your posts.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Blackchamber posted:

I see what you mean now about your posts.

What did you want my response to be?

"Good job for creating a what if scenario that is not reflective of the problem we are discussing or reality?"

Yes, if someone spends 1k of 10k that is a bigger percent than 1k of 100k.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

goodness posted:

(You are confused and think I don't understand how the percentage works. I get it)

Do they? Can you back that up?

Because it doesn't matter how rich you are, you can only be driving one car at any given moment.

The issue, which you are obstinately refusing to attempt to parse, is that cost of living does not scale directly with income. There are only so many basic needs to meet. Rich people, even those who live fairly extravagantly, can do so on a much lower percentage of their income than the poor, who by the nature of being poor are already spending the vast majority of their income to Not Die.

This problem does not scale like you think it scales, and your inability to understand that has you under some serious confusion.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Liquid Communism posted:

Do they? Can you back that up?

Because it doesn't matter how rich you are, you can only be driving one car at any given moment.

The issue, which you are obstinately refusing to attempt to parse, is that cost of living does not scale directly with income. There are only so many basic needs to meet. Rich people, even those who live fairly extravagantly, can do so on a much lower percentage of their income than the poor, who by the nature of being poor are already spending the vast majority of their income to Not Die.

This problem does not scale like you think it scales, and your inability to understand that has you under some serious confusion.

I did exaggerate how evenly they scale a bit but they do scale and it's not as horribly uneven as you think it is which adds a little to your confusion.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

goodness posted:

I did exaggerate how evenly they scale a bit but they do scale and it's not as horribly uneven as you think it is which adds a little to your confusion.

Please back this claim up with actual research. The numbers are out there, I promise. :)

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm speechless that I'm seeing someone basically arguing that sales taxes are harder on rich people. Never seen that.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

beejay posted:

I'm speechless that I'm seeing someone basically arguing that sales taxes are harder on rich people. Never seen that.

You misread then as I didn't say harder, just talking about percentages spent.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

goodness posted:

All data I've ever seen supports the claim that poorer people spend a higher percentage of their income on sales tax. Eg: here's a graph found through a quick Google:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
You were supposed to let goodness find that on his own.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Necc0 posted:

You were supposed to let goodness find that on his own.

I actually looked that up after I saw the original post that I replied to. It does not disprove what I am saying. I already admitted that I exaggerated the scaling and it is not perfectly even, but pretty drat close. If 1-3% breaks you then stop smoking cigarettes/whatever stupid vice that wastes money you can't afford to spend.

Edit: a pack of cigarettes 3 days a week costs someone minimum 5000$. That is greater than the couple thousand those 1-3% make between brackets. So yeah, a poor person smoking is literally breaking them fiscally and physically.

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 2, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

goodness posted:

Edit: a pack of cigarettes 3 days a week costs someone minimum 5000$. That is greater than the couple thousand those 1-3% make between brackets. So yeah, a poor person smoking is literally breaking them fiscally and physically.

Where the hell are you buying cigarettes for $32 a pack?

[$5000 / 52 weeks = 96.15 / 3 packs per week = 32.05]

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

The Locator posted:

Where the hell are you buying cigarettes for $32 a pack?

[$5000 / 52 weeks = 96.15 / 3 packs per week = 32.05]

You got me on that, thought it looked a little large. Moving houses the last week so my brain is a little tired. Ultimately it ends up being a much higher cost though because of health issues.

Let's say 2000$ for 4-5 packs a week which is lower than the average of ~20 cigs/day. That is still a significant amount for a low income family and enough to break their budget.

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 2, 2015

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

If only all the poor people would stop smoking, they wouldn't be poor anymore. Give this man a nobel prize, or something.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So..this latest line started with this post..

Khizan posted:

And those comsumption taxes like fuel taxes and sales taxes hit the poor much harder than they do the rich, because poor people spend a much [b[larger percentage[/b] of their income on these things.

So basically he's saying that larger percentage of income spent on sales taxes = harder hit by those taxes.

To which Goodness responded with this..

goodness posted:

They spend a larger percentage on those things? If you don't have money then you aren't driving around going to concerts, eating out at restaurants, and blowing cash. I would say the middle class and mid upper pay a much larger percentage on those. Someone in a trailer is not paying sales taxes on $5k-10k vacations.

Goodness is not arguing with how Khizan is defining "harder", Goodness is arguing that given this definition Khizan is wrong.

goodness posted:

Still going with the original definition apparently, also the claim that the wealthy spend a larger percentage of their incomes on sales tax.

beejay posted:

Beejay apparently also agrees with this definition..

goodness posted:

Goodness, you never once argued the definition of "harder" so any claim that the wealthy spend a larger percentage of their incomes is the same thing as claiming that sales taxes are harder on the rich. You are equivocating. And that still doesn't matter, because the chart directly contradicts your claims anyway. Put up some contrary data, define what you mean by 'harder' or move on.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 2, 2015

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I stopped reading at page 4, but facinating thread.

My dealer buddy is stoked about the minimum wage increase. A good 50% of his clientele is on minimum wage and their purchasing power will go up. In responce, his plan is to increase the price of his OG from 10$ a gram to 12$ a gram, but his minimum wage clients will still be able to buy more weed than before. He'll say its a different, slightly higher quality bud, but it isnt. Also my other friend, who dealt to make rent as a second job is planning on leaving the game as soon as he can make rent off clean money. His customers will go to other dealers, like my first friend, where they will find a more reliable supply.

Economics is easy for drugs

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
goodness is a TCC poster with the memory of a goldfish so it's not much use doing anything besides trying to point his dumb rear end in the right direction

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Buried alive posted:

So..this latest line started with this post..

So basically he's saying that larger percentage of income spent on sales taxes = harder hit by those taxes.

To which Goodness responded with this..

Goodness is not arguing with how Khizan is defining "harder", Goodness is arguing that given this definition Khizan is wrong.

Still going with the original definition apparently, also the claim that the wealthy spend a larger percentage of their incomes on sales tax.

Beejay apparently also agrees with this definition..

Goodness, you never once argued the definition of "harder" so any claim that the wealthy spend a larger percentage of their incomes is the same thing as claiming that sales taxes are harder on the rich. You are equivocating. And that still doesn't matter, because the chart directly contradicts your claims anyway. Put up some contrary data, define what you mean by 'harder' or move on.

Finally finished moving and wiped out, I'll get a reply typed up tomorrow!

Necc0 posted:

goodness is a TCC poster with the memory of a goldfish so it's not much use doing anything besides trying to point his dumb rear end in the right direction

You take the right path, I'll take the weird one. We both end up the same place. See you in the dirt :angel:

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 2, 2015

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

goodness posted:

I actually looked that up after I saw the original post that I replied to. It does not disprove what I am saying. I already admitted that I exaggerated the scaling and it is not perfectly even, but pretty drat close. If 1-3% breaks you then stop smoking cigarettes/whatever stupid vice that wastes money you can't afford to spend.

That graph directly disproves your claim that poor people spend a higher percentage of their income on sales tax than the rich.

When you suggest that poor people consume less to avoid sales tax, you're acknowledging that sales taxes impact poor people's consumption choices more than rich people's, which also
directly contradicts you claim that sales tax impact the rich more.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

goodness posted:

Can anyone link some articles that try to explain how a higher minimum wage can work in the US?
Let's see what Craig Jelinek, CEO of #2 retailer Costco has to say:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/costco-ceo-minimum-wage-craig-jelinek_n_2818060.html
http://www.wsj.com/articles/costco-q2-profit-beats-forecasts-boosted-by-tax-benefit-1425545440

Sorry if there isn't enough observational science.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah I'm gonna jump on this just because I want to be fair.

Those two articles aren't related (the second needs you to subscribe to even read the whole thing) and its lovely to put them together like this.
Article 1: We have always paid our employees more than minimum!
Article 2: Profits have surged 29%! (based on lower gas costs, which is stated in the title of the article)

But lets say even for the sake of arguing, that you wanted to link the two things (I dont mean paying employees more equals lower gas costs) that paying more than minimum wage has caused Costco to increase its profits, it wouldn't be cause and effect because as the CEO said they have ALWAYS have paid their employees more, and the devils advocate could have said 'well they were posting losses in 2014, and they were paying more than min wage so it proves higher wages ruins businesses!'.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Stupid lazy dumb poors. Any smart person knows that working 7 days a week isn't cutting it. You gotta work at least 10 days a week and maybe throw in some college too.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah I'm gonna jump on this just because I want to be fair.

Those two articles aren't related (the second needs you to subscribe to even read the whole thing) and its lovely to put them together like this.
Article 1: We have always paid our employees more than minimum!
Article 2: Profits have surged 29%! (based on lower gas costs, which is stated in the title of the article)

But lets say even for the sake of arguing, that you wanted to link the two things (I dont mean paying employees more equals lower gas costs) that paying more than minimum wage has caused Costco to increase its profits, it wouldn't be cause and effect because as the CEO said they have ALWAYS have paid their employees more, and the devils advocate could have said 'well they were posting losses in 2014, and they were paying more than min wage so it proves higher wages ruins businesses!'.
I'm not saying paying more than minimum wage is the direct cause of increasing profits, I'm saying that it doesn't make a business fail and it can still be extremely successful if managed competently. This notion that increasing minimum wage will ruin businesses is crap, and Costco proves it.

I know the article is primarily about lower gas costs, but it's the most up-to-date info I could find on Costco.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Ausmund posted:

I'm not saying paying more than minimum wage is the direct cause of increasing profits, I'm saying that it doesn't make a business fail and it can still be extremely successful if managed competently. This notion that increasing minimum wage will ruin businesses is crap, and Costco proves it.

I know the article is primarily about lower gas costs, but it's the most up-to-date info I could find on Costco.

It's not going to ruin urban area retail chains, no. What it is going to ruin is small businesses out in rural Kentucky where the median income doesn't even reach 200% of the poverty line.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Xequecal posted:

It's not going to ruin urban area retail chains, no. What it is going to ruin is small businesses out in rural Kentucky where the median income doesn't even reach 200% of the poverty line.

We had this exact same debate in the UK when the minimum wage was introduced. It didn't ruin all small businesses.

There's a moral question here: if your livelihood depends on you paying other people less money than they need to survive, should you be in business at all?

But the real question is one of implementation: having regional minimum wages seems like it'd be more sensitive to the needs of rural versus urban communities, and sensitive implementation would mitigate the problems you're talking about re. putting small rural businesses out of business. That, or they'd just get around it with day rates and cash-in-hand like they do here.

But anything larger than a mom 'n' pop store deserves to go bankrupt if its business model depends on exploiting its workers. This wouldn't be a problem if people had paid attention in Fordist management class.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Purple Prince posted:

We had this exact same debate in the UK when the minimum wage was introduced. It didn't ruin all small businesses.

There's a moral question here: if your livelihood depends on you paying other people less money than they need to survive, should you be in business at all?

But the real question is one of implementation: having regional minimum wages seems like it'd be more sensitive to the needs of rural versus urban communities, and sensitive implementation would mitigate the problems you're talking about re. putting small rural businesses out of business. That, or they'd just get around it with day rates and cash-in-hand like they do here.

But anything larger than a mom 'n' pop store deserves to go bankrupt if its business model depends on exploiting its workers. This wouldn't be a problem if people had paid attention in Fordist management class.

And although the UK nat min wage is "alright", it's completely inappropriate for living costs in a city like London (which is why there's so much talk about the 'living wage'). So I can see why a very decent federal min wage for 300+ million people is bound to start running into some pretty big hitches when prosperity and wages are nowhere near even across the board.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Jeza posted:

And although the UK nat min wage is "alright", it's completely inappropriate for living costs in a city like London (which is why there's so much talk about the 'living wage'). So I can see why a very decent federal min wage for 300+ million people is bound to start running into some pretty big hitches when prosperity and wages are nowhere near even across the board.

Which is why setting different rates for different regions (ideally reflecting local living costs) but with federal oversight (to make sure hard-right legislatures don't push a minimum of $0.01 or something) makes more sense than a single federal minimum wage. I don't know if it's possible to implement that in the USA through the federal government, though.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Purple Prince posted:

I'm sure the people who lose their jobs in this scenario would be eternally grateful for your "help."

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

I'm sure the people who lose their jobs in this scenario would be eternally grateful for your "help."

In a healthy economy, other businesses will move into the vacuum left by the businesses which couldn't afford or were unwilling to pay minimum wage. Having an unlivable minimum wage masks the problems with both the welfare system and the market by putting a band-aid on a gaping laceration and blaming individuals for systematic problems.

Minimum wages are generally phased in over several financial years in advance to give businesses time to reconfigure themselves for the shift. The only businesses which would go under are those which depend on paying sub-living wages to make a profit. People who work for these businesses at present should be better provided for by the welfare system in the case of unemployment.

I'm saying people should be paid enough to survive: I'm not sure why that should be controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

I'm saying people should be paid enough to survive: I'm not sure why that should be controversial.
That's not controversial in the least. What is controversial is a) what is "enough to survive", clearly they're all surviving now, and b) whether "should be" is a product of the free market or of government regulation.

• Locked thread