Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

DiHK posted:

goddam you limeys get all the cool poo poo

To be fair we do write and manufacture an awful lot of wargames.

On the topic of Bolt Action, I crumbled and now have 1000 points of Grenadiers coming. It is only a few over 40 models to paint though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thundercloud posted:

To be fair we do write and manufacture an awful lot of wargames.

On the topic of Bolt Action, I crumbled and now have 1000 points of Grenadiers coming. It is only a few over 40 models to paint though.
yeah, I'm just super jealous and angry at the weak dollar & cross atlantic shipping rates.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

DiHK posted:

yeah, I'm just super jealous and angry at the weak dollar & cross atlantic shipping rates.

Shipping is at least also insane in reverse. I've ordered books which are less than their shipping. Like, expensive books.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Getting stuff from the New World always costs me way more than getting stuff to it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Two 10mm white metal minis from the US is £16 for the cheapest shipping option. What the gently caress.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DiHK posted:

With ridiculous shipping from the States, you're not going to get much sympathy on this side of the pond.

Also, just buy both full boxes and sell the extra sprues.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I recently shipped stuff to a goon in the US and paid him to ship it onto me in old warhams because it worked out cheaper for me than shipping direct. Games Workshop is cheaper than USPS.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pierzak posted:

Also, just buy both full boxes and sell the extra sprues.

That requires effort.

I feel like most of the cool online mini places for historical stuff is brit/euro, but that could be confirmation bias.

At least we're not AUS/NZ.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

DiHK posted:

That requires effort.

I feel like most of the cool online mini places for historical stuff is brit/euro, but that could be confirmation bias.

At least we're not AUS/NZ.

Usually shipping from Blighty is either free or very cheap. I hardly buy anything from the US these days because of the shipping. If we are talking retail prices then I will just go sit in a corner and cry.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

No Pun Intended posted:

Usually shipping from Blighty is either free or very cheap. I hardly buy anything from the US these days because of the shipping. If we are talking retail prices then I will just go sit in a corner and cry.

In the Bones kickstarter, the shipping cost from US is almost the same as the minis cost. I used to buy a lot of hobby stuff from the US, but now I just do it if there's no EU retailer. The insane shipping costs and the risk of getting a random 40 dollar customs fee means it's not worth it.

I almost bought a used 5 dollar Osprey book from amazon last month until I realized that the shipping was like 20 bucks, for a 100 page booklet. I can send a rather large parcel of up to 2 kg to the US for half of that.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazon is selling the small box of Pioneers for $32 bucks so I bought one.

They are actually selling a lot of Bolt Action stuff for a good discount right now.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 2, 2015

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hello thread. This isn't precisely historicals related, but I wanted to ask if anyone here knows a reliable source for 25-28 mm scale Imperial Chinese miniatures. I'm considering using them for a Kingdoms of Men KoW army, but I'm not particularly familiar with any of the manufacturers on this side of the hobby.

I'm not married to any particular era or dynasty right now, just curious if anyone has recommendations on what lines are out there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dulkor posted:

Hello thread. This isn't precisely historicals related, but I wanted to ask if anyone here knows a reliable source for 25-28 mm scale Imperial Chinese miniatures. I'm considering using them for a Kingdoms of Men KoW army, but I'm not particularly familiar with any of the manufacturers on this side of the hobby.

I'm not married to any particular era or dynasty right now, just curious if anyone has recommendations on what lines are out there.

If you are flexible, Perry Miniatures has a nice range of Choson Koreans, which look quite similar to Ming Chinese. Watchful I Studios recently finished a kickstarter for Chinese, they are a new company so it will be interesting to see how they end up. Curtey's has chinese, but in a style that people seem to love pr hate.
There's a Chinese company that make plastic Warring States characters in a heroic style, I don't remember how I found them. I can look when I'm not on a phone.

But overall, I haven't found a range yet that is super, and I've been looking for Ming Chinese now and then.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Wow, those Choson are awesome. I think I just found my next project once I wrap up my current pile of ogres. Thank you!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dulkor posted:

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?cPath=121_147&osCsid=g9aqmmdfm6orh76fbae3qi42e2

Super goofy line but I really like them. They have an oldschool late 80's GW feel.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dulkor posted:

Wow, those Choson are awesome. I think I just found my next project once I wrap up my current pile of ogres. Thank you!

No problem! If you find some nice Ming after you start, they should be real easy to mix as the Choson Koreans fought with China, and their armour and weaponry were extremely inspired by China.

E: i think this was the site that sells 28mm warring states minis modelled after Dynasty Warriors: http://www.dddhk.com

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 2, 2015

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?cPath=121_147&osCsid=g9aqmmdfm6orh76fbae3qi42e2

Super goofy line but I really like them. They have an oldschool late 80's GW feel.

But where can you actually get these? I've checked the links but the Italian and German (European) ones are down.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

DiHK posted:

goddam you limeys get all the cool poo poo

You too can have the cool poo poo for just a pound more (overseas shipping £3.95, UK shipping £2.95) I run The Dice Bag Lady/Bad Squiddo Games, let me know if I can be of any help! I want to do more box splits, it's just time and headaches figuring them out, always up for suggestions! The Moors and Saracen kits I made took most of a day and pretty much left me covered in a pile of sprues and boxes, weeping. (of course they have to be made in such a way I don't end up with "spares", or it costs me money, hence with the Moors you actually get a metal warlord, as plastic would have meant going into another box just for one guy)

Annie

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Commissar Kip posted:

But where can you actually get these? I've checked the links but the Italian and German (European) ones are down.

Check your local stores if you have them, they might have them on their distributor list. I'm in the US so I've just gotten them from Scalecreep in the past.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

TheDiceBagLady posted:

You too can have the cool poo poo for just a pound more (overseas shipping £3.95, UK shipping £2.95) I run The Dice Bag Lady/Bad Squiddo Games, let me know if I can be of any help! I want to do more box splits, it's just time and headaches figuring them out, always up for suggestions! The Moors and Saracen kits I made took most of a day and pretty much left me covered in a pile of sprues and boxes, weeping. (of course they have to be made in such a way I don't end up with "spares", or it costs me money, hence with the Moors you actually get a metal warlord, as plastic would have meant going into another box just for one guy)

Annie

Now you're making me feel guilty.. That's incredibly reasonable shipping but the conversion rate still kills it for me. The best example I have is PSC's 15mm armor selection: FOr me it'd be $33 ish per box so I'd need to buy the 3 packs to make the most out of the shipping&exchange rate. Or just wait for the War Store to get whatever i'm waiting for in and spend $26 per box.

Anyway, I just caved and got a box of Hirdmen and a box of peasants from War Store.

And Zveda's Samurai Battels for a goddam song($45).

And an additional 5% off because GenCon.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 3, 2015

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

DiHK posted:

Now you're making me feel guilty.. That's incredibly reasonable shipping but the conversion rate still kills it for me. The best example I have is PSC's 15mm armor selection: FOr me it'd be $33 ish per box so I'd need to buy the 3 packs to make the most out of the shipping&exchange rate. Or just wait for the War Store to get whatever i'm waiting for in and spend $26 per box.

Anyway, I just caved and got a box of Hirdmen and a box of peasants from War Store.

And Zveda's Samurai Battels for a goddam song($45).

And an additional 5% off because GenCon.

Haha that's ok. The Viking box split I do is literally 50/50, so you could find someone with a dark age box locally to swap half with perhaps?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I don't know if i spoke to any goons at GenCon - I was at the Warstore booth (where Bolt Action was) volunteering. It was pretty cool.

I got into a sweet looking game called Skirmish Sangin. Now I have to buy a ton more

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Skirmish Sangin looked interesting when I saw it floating around, but I somehow got the impression that it's crazy expensive to get into. Am I totally wrong?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The rulebook is 50 bux but it is beautiful. The models are 3.50 each ish but you can get moderns anywhere.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
E: poo poo, wrong thread! :suicide:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 4, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I saw your pic and for a second I thought his face looked like Anakin in The Clone Wars series.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I saw your pic and for a second I thought his face looked like Anakin in The Clone Wars series.

As long as it's not Anakin in The Phantom Menace :v:

E: And apologies as I just realized I posted a fantasy mini in the Historicals thread. For penance I will paint up another squad of German Heer. :hitler:

(...I mean, I was going to do that anyway...)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Bolt Action time. Would this work?

1st Lieutenant: regular; rifle 75
1 Infantry: rifle 7

Free Rifle Squad: anti-tank grenades
11 Veteran Squad: 11× SMG; panzerfaust; tough fighters 192
12 Rifle Squad 84
12 Rifle Squad 84

DShK Heavy Machine Gun Team 35
Sniper Team: veteran 65
Heavy Mortar Team 46

BS-3 Anti-tank Gun 88

T-34/85: veteran 282

1.000 points

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seems bog standard. This ain't a bad thing.

edit: I'm going to make a list that could fight that, brb. And now I have a plan for my 1k Germans.

85 Reg First Lt. +1 dude

172 Veteran Infantry - Sturmpioniere x10 130
5 x Rifles
4 x SMG 12
Flamethrower 20
Panzerfaust x 2 10
Loader x 1

111 Veteran Hanomag 101
Rear MMG 10

130 VolksGrenadier x 10 95
5 x Assault Rifle
5 x Assault Rifle 25
Panzerfaust x 2 10

67 Inexperienced Hanomag 67

93 Wehrmacht Regular Infantry x 8 80
SMG x 1 3
Rifles x 3
LMG x 2 10

39 Truck

35 Inexperienced Machine Gun Team

17 Inexperienced Kubelwagen

78 Veteran Goliath Team

21 Regular Kubelwagen 21

230 Regular Stug III

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 6, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm collecting opinions on the Rubicon kits. So far I've gotten a range of opinions that range from they are really good to they are the best models ever.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Anyone willing to part with about a platoon of unpainted flames of war infantry? I'm looking to add to my bolt action / chain of command 15mm collection.

Russia or US, I have Brits and Germans at the moment.

Pm or email me at evan.bale@gmail.com

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

osirisisdead posted:

I'm collecting opinions on the Rubicon kits. So far I've gotten a range of opinions that range from they are really good to they are the best models

They're pretty great. I have no idea how they're funding it but I like them.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Bolt Action time. Would this work?

11 Veteran Squad: 11× SMG; panzerfaust; tough fighters 192

Sniper Team: veteran 65

T-34/85: veteran 282
A few recommendations: never take two extra bros with officer as then they're not a small team and they'll die.

I don't think you need tough fighters and smgs as you're doubling up on an extra attack which you only get one of.

I would recommend a truck for the SMG bros. If you're not married to it I'd remove one HMG, make the Sniper and tank regulars, and add the truck and another infantry squad. The inexperienced bros are not to be counted on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Anyone willing to part with about a platoon of unpainted flames of war infantry? I'm looking to add to my bolt action / chain of command 15mm collection.

Russia or US, I have Brits and Germans at the moment.

Pm or email me at evan.bale@gmail.com
I may be buying another box of Warlord LW US Infantry, and if I do I'll keep this in mind.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

muggins posted:

A few recommendations: never take two extra bros with officer as then they're not a small team and they'll die.

I don't think you need tough fighters and smgs as you're doubling up on an extra attack which you only get one of.

I would recommend a truck for the SMG bros. If you're not married to it I'd remove one HMG, make the Sniper and tank regulars, and add the truck and another infantry squad. The inexperienced bros are not to be counted on.

Free Rifle Squad: anti-tank grenades
11 Veteran Squad: 11× SMG; panzerfaust 181
12 Rifle Squad 84
12 Rifle Squad 84
12 Rifle Squad 84

Sniper Team 50
Heavy Mortar Team 46

BS-3 Anti-tank Gun 88

T-34/85: regular 235

Truck 31

1.000 points

This then?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Looks great!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Welp I just ordered a Kubelwagen and one of the Rubicon 3 in 1 Hanomag kits.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I just put together a plastic warlord/italeri tiger 1 and it's goddamn awesome

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my postal queue on the way here, I have a Warlord (plastic/metal) Stug, a Rubicon (plastic) 3 in 1 Hanomag, and a Warlord (resin/metal) Kubelwagen as well as some assorted plastic/metal Pioniers from Warlord as well. I'm moving next week and once I get settled in I'll post a trip report.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is Warlord doing any plastic early war tank kits?