Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

bitcoin bastard posted:

p sure youre no true scotsman unless youre balancing on the line between alcohol poisoning and coma

There's a reason it's the Glasgow Coma Scale...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is a KLM plane, but during the bad storm last saturday, a Transavia flight to Rotterdam airport was redirected to Amsterdam Schiphol airport after they had to abort a landing. They circled above Amsterdam for a while, attempted another landing, aborted at the last moment and went back up.

After that they were almost out of kerosene and had only one try left. According to folks on board, the cabin personnel shouted (instead of using the intercom) "Brace for impact, get your head down!" a few times, and then the plane landed in a rough but safe manner. A frequent flyer said that it was a rather traumatizing experience.

After landing, the plane went to some gate quite far from the main hall, the passengers left the plane... and then they were left alone. They walked the distance to the central hall by themselves, and after they asked around and complained, in the end a KLM employee showed them where their luggage was and arranged bus rides to Rotterdam.

Transavia told the press that they were too busy 'dealing with the storm' to have anyone help the passengers, but promised they would give the passengers a phone call later that week to ask if they were doing okay.

drat Transavia, is it that hard to get a single customer service person out there and receive/support a bunch of people who just survived a very risky emergency landing? I'd give that some priority. But nope, gently caress our customers, let KLM deal with it.

Nobody died behind the bar or in the dressing room. I conclude those are safe places to be during a fire.

I was in a situation like that a couple of years back during a particularly vicious storm, they tried to land the plane five times before they quickly had to abort the landing and get up to circle for a while before another attempt. You could feel the whole plane swerving and turning in a frightening fashion and during one of the last attempts to land they had to suddenly abort at the last minute and bank the plane very sharply to the left and really closely to the ground. I'm exaggerating when I say that I could almost count the pine cones on the trees during that one because we were so close to the ground and looking out the window was almost like looking straight down. God drat that was frightening. Eventually they were running so low on fuel they had to fly to another airport to refuel it and at that point I asked if I could just get out and maybe take a bus or train to where I was going but I wasn't allowed to do that.

The whole thing really put the fear in me and it turned me from a VERY frequent flyer to someone that now chooses to ride a train for 12-18 hours instead of getting on another of those flying death machines. When I'm forced to fly I have to hit the Xanax pretty hard and booze it up before I even set a foot on the drat thing and it still makes it a sweaty white knuckle experience.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sassafrasquatch posted:

You in parasitology? Histology? And what was everyone else doing, just dumping it down the sink?

Parasitology. It's possible nobody else even uses formalin in that lab, but they should still know where the liquid waste disposal is. God drat.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ein posted:

I was in a situation like that a couple of years back during a particularly vicious storm, they tried to land the plane five times before they quickly had to abort the landing and get up to circle for a while before another attempt. You could feel the whole plane swerving and turning in a frightening fashion and during one of the last attempts to land they had to suddenly abort at the last minute and bank the plane very sharply to the left and really closely to the ground. I'm exaggerating when I say that I could almost count the pine cones on the trees during that one because we were so close to the ground and looking out the window was almost like looking straight down. God drat that was frightening. Eventually they were running so low on fuel they had to fly to another airport to refuel it and at that point I asked if I could just get out and maybe take a bus or train to where I was going but I wasn't allowed to do that.

The whole thing really put the fear in me and it turned me from a VERY frequent flyer to someone that now chooses to ride a train for 12-18 hours instead of getting on another of those flying death machines. When I'm forced to fly I have to hit the Xanax pretty hard and booze it up before I even set a foot on the drat thing and it still makes it a sweaty white knuckle experience.

Hey there fear of flying buddy :hfive:. I had a very similar story - flew frequently for years, hit bad turbulence over Nevada, stopped flying for 15 years. Every flight after that was a nightmare, but finally took a job that has me flying constantly. After powering through the first dozen flights and developing an unhealthy obsession for flight sims and ATC, I'm back to semi-normal. You need to power through it with a series of flights or its only going to get worse. Remember that at the end of the day that fear is totally irrational.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 1, 2015

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ein posted:

I had the same experience (and have had the same anxiety) except the pilot told us to 'put your head between your heads and prepare for impact'. I was coming back from a family vacation. My mom was in the seat across from me (was a regional jet, those 2x1 seat configuration types) and she just mouthed silently "I love you."

loving tore me up.

Oddly enough, no one was panicking but you could hear quiet sobbing amongst all the turbulence and engine noise.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

"Don't walk under suspended loads" is a fairly common safety meeting topic.

"Don't stand inside buildings or under bridges"?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a difference between a static structure designed to stand up under the force of gravity and a dynamic structure designed to stand up as long a mechanical force is exerted on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

There's a difference between a static structure designed to stand up under the force of gravity and a dynamic structure designed to stand up as long a mechanical force is exerted on it.

Number of people who've died under collapsing buildings and bridges: hella high.
Number of people who've died under collapsing excavators: not so high.

How do you explain that, atheists!!??!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Number of people who've died under collapsing buildings and bridges: hella high.
Number of people who've died under collapsing excavators: not so high.

How do you explain that, atheists!!??!

Live under excavators - got it! #lifehack

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why don't they build bridges out of excavators made out of the same material as the black box?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

Why don't they build bridges out of excavators

This is seriously a good question. Excavators are obviously stronger than bridges.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Goddammit, Mike Mulligan - you didn't even try!

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Mokotow posted:

Hey there fear of flying buddy :hfive:. I had a very similar story - flew frequently for years, hit bad turbulence over Nevada, stopped flying for 15 years. Every flight after that was a nightmare, but finally took a job that has me flying constantly. After powering through the first dozen flights and developing an unhealthy obsession for flight sims and ATC, I'm back to semi-normal. You need to power through it with a series of flights or its only going to get worse. Remember that at the end of the day that fear is totally irrational.

I went from something like 40 boring flights a year to gently caress THIS, it was that bad. Previous to that I used to enjoy sitting at the back of the plane to get that feeling of tilt and lift. I really enjoyed it.
To be fully comfortable I'd like to be in the captains cabin, looking where we're going and seeing what's going on. I still fly on occasion when it's necessary, but it takes a day to shake off what now feels like a near death experience.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Worst Ive ever had was landing in some blizzards. It didnt bother me because I basically let go and dont stress about it because its out of my hands.

The nervous one should be the pilot, and hopefully hes Joe Cool, because hes seen it all before.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ein posted:

I went from something like 40 boring flights a year to gently caress THIS, it was that bad. Previous to that I used to enjoy sitting at the back of the plane to get that feeling of tilt and lift. I really enjoyed it.
To be fully comfortable I'd like to be in the captains cabin, looking where we're going and seeing what's going on. I still fly on occasion when it's necessary, but it takes a day to shake off what now feels like a near death experience.

The perspective difference between being in the cockpit, and being able to see outside, and being stuck in 22C is absolutely amazing.

I'm certainly not afraid of flying, but being back in the cabin loving sucks, even when you know EXACTLY what's going on, and how incredibly safe it is.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ein posted:

I always figured trains were the safest, but wanted to see what the fatality figures were like for different modes of transport just to see how much safer. According to this site, their summary states:

quote:

Excluding acts of suicide and terrorism, commercial aviation was the safest mode of travel in the United States, with 0.07 fatalities per billion passenger miles...

They list railways as killing 0.43 per billion passenger miles. However, they rightly point out that because take-off and landing on flights is where the most trouble happens, the number of miles shouldn't really factor into it and when you even it out flights are (presumably) worse. Also, most deaths related to trains are not of passengers, so avoid going near one unless you're in it.
I don't think I'm going to convince you to get back onto planes as I doubt anyone has overcome a fear through statistics. But stay the hell away from cars on the highway - those things are a real deathtrap!

Those numbers don't bother me though. As a middle-aged Westerner I know that heart disease will get me soon enough.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Gromit posted:

I always figured trains were the safest, but wanted to see what the fatality figures were like for different modes of transport.

I will have to try and find some reference but I think as far as miles traveled over a year, elevators are the safest form of transport.

So clearly we just need elevators that cross the entire world.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I will have to try and find some reference but I think as far as miles traveled over a year, elevators are the safest form of transport.

So clearly we just need elevators that cross the entire world.

Escalators and razor scooters might have a better track record per mile.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stepping into your shower is way more dangerous than stepping onto a plane.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

"What you're smelling is the smell of safety!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gromit posted:

I always figured trains were the safest, but wanted to see what the fatality figures were like for different modes of transport just to see how much safer. According to this site, their summary states:

They list railways as killing 0.43 per billion passenger miles. However, they rightly point out that because take-off and landing on flights is where the most trouble happens, the number of miles shouldn't really factor into it and when you even it out flights are (presumably) worse. Also, most deaths related to trains are not of passengers, so avoid going near one unless you're in it.
I don't think I'm going to convince you to get back onto planes as I doubt anyone has overcome a fear through statistics. But stay the hell away from cars on the highway - those things are a real deathtrap!

Those numbers don't bother me though. As a middle-aged Westerner I know that heart disease will get me soon enough.

Trains are likely the safest because they run on rails (so they can't really make wrong turns and it's a lot harder to push them "off-course") and they're so much larger than most things that they'll collide with except for other trains. On the other hand, planes are liable to burst into flames if you stare at the fuel tanks enough.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

chitoryu12 posted:

Trains are likely the safest because they run on rails (so they can't really make wrong turns and it's a lot harder to push them "off-course") and they're so much larger than most things that they'll collide with except for other trains. On the other hand, planes are liable to burst into flames if you stare at the fuel tanks enough.

Planes are much safer than trains. Not being on the ground where you can run into things does wonders for not running into things and killing everyone.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

uPen posted:

Planes are much safer than trains. Not being on the ground where you can run into things does wonders for not running into things and killing everyone.

planes can run into buildings.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

The Nards Pan posted:

Live under excavators - got it! #lifehack

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No see, the steel is holding everything up and thus they're 100% safe :downs:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

No see, the steel is holding everything up and thus they're 100% safe :downs:

Yeah, it's not like the arms are inflatable or anything. I'm sure if the hydraulic system fails it will slowly lower down, giving them more than enough time to escape.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

It's what happens after you step on the plane though :hurr:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 2, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It's ok it looks like they have hard hats on.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is probably safe and all, but I wouldn't want to be close to a literal poo poo-spewing machine.

"Manure agitator"

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is probably safe and all, but I wouldn't want to be close to a literal poo poo-spewing machine.

"Manure agitator"

Saints Row 2 HD remake is looking great.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Manure agitator"

I bet the smell is amazing

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Manure agitator"

I see wheels but no seat. Please tell me no one rides these things.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dienes posted:

Kinda reminds of one of those nitro powered swamp buggys.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

So if the two guys are 300 pounds total and the scaffold is 200 pounds...
Sum of moments and forces equal zero...

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's ok it looks like they have hard hats on.

What if they're only wearing bump hats? :ohdear:

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Manure agitator"

There's some pretty awful stories of people falling in those poo poo pits and then other people try to save them. It always ends in everyone involved dying in poo poo.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Dienes posted:

quote:

The wet-dry control system is similar to remote control hobby vehicles. The operator sits a comfortable distance away, up wind from the lagoon, and radios his driving inputs to the on-board computer, which turns the driving signals into instructions for the four hydraulic motors.

Once the Crawler is floating in the slurry, the same kind of driving inputs radioed to the on-board computer are turned into instructions for the seven agitator nozzles.

“The Crawler is designed for those big lagoons, five to 10 acres,” Taylor said. “Those are the in-ground dugouts that are more common in the States where the manure regulations are looser.”

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Three-Phase posted:

So if the two guys are 300 pounds total and the scaffold is 200 pounds...
Sum of moments and forces equal zero...

It kind of looks like there's a lip on the building that the cleaning cart is resting on. I have no doubt that it's holding up well enough because there would have been hilarious pictures of the wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

L told u goons not to shower

• Locked thread