Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

"Earth" doesn't sound like Sylvester the Cat, but people aren't calling her "Earth". "Aerith" does make you sound like you have a lisp.

The character has appeared in multiple games with voice acting. Mysteriously they don't pronounce her name "aeriffffffftthththt" like people seem to think it is pronounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Suffering succotash.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a moot point anyway because every single game or movie she has been in apart from the original FF7 has used Aerith and SE isn't going to suddenly decide that maybe Aeris was right all along.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

"Earth" doesn't sound like Sylvester the Cat, but people aren't calling her "Earth". "Aerith" does make you sound like you have a lisp
do all names that end in 'th' do that? bad news to all the keiths out there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

it's just that Aerith sounds really awkward.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think you mean keis

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

i think you mean keis

I sink you mean Keis.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

Heck, that's a recurring theme in all of Final Fantasy.

Xande is made mortal by his master, so he drowns the world, stopping time so he'll never die. (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think he intentionally released the Cloud of Darkness, it's just that his actions screwed up the balance of light and dark and it had that effect)

Zemus resents the other Lunarians' decision to coexist with the Earth people and thinks they should wipe them out and take over Earth, and when struck down his hatred manifests itself as Zeromus.

Exdeath wants to use the Void to rule the world, but loses control of it, gets devoured and spat back out as Neo Exdeath, whose purpose is to destroy all life and then itself.

Kefka wants to eradicate all life because everybody's going to die and it's meaningless anyway.

This is pretty interesting. You're right, it is a recurring theme in pretty much every FF game.

Ultimecia is doing what she's doing because she's scared of dying and wants to avoid that.(At least, about two lines in the entire game hint at this being her motivation. FFVIII's writing, what else can you expect?)
FFX of course has its Spiral of Death and Seymour and Yunalesca giving you big speeches about how sad and pointless life is and we just have to distract ourselves from this fact through lies.
X-2 has Shuyin who wants to nuke the world because life sucks.
FFXIII has the fal'Cie who all just want to hurry up and die and Lightning has a whole big 'SHUT UP'" moment to Orphan about this very fact and how the heroes are better than fal'Cie because they never gave up on life.
And then XIII-2 has Caius, who has also given up on life and wants only for him and Yeul to "die."

XII kinda has it but it's a bit less blatant. The fact humans die relatively fast is brought up a couple times to contrast with the Occuria but I never really felt like it was a central message like in the other games.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 2, 2015

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

it's just that Aerith sounds really awkward.

Right; hearing "Aerith" is like hearing "Chrith", "Weth", or "Thomath".

NikkolasKing posted:

This is pretty interesting. You're right, it is a recurring theme in pretty much every FF game.

Ultimecia is doing what she's doing because she's scared of dying and wants to avoid that.(At least, about two lines in the entire game hint at this being her motivation. FFVIII's writing, what else can you expect?)
FFX of course has its Spiral of Death and Seymour and Yunalesca giving you big speeches about how sad and pointless life is and we just have to distract ourselves from this fact through lies.
X-2 has Shuyin who wants to nuke the world because life sucks.
FFXIII has the fal'Cie who all just want to hurry up and die and Lightning has a whole big 'SHUT UP'" moment to Orphan about this very fact and how the heroes are better than fal'Cie because they never gave up on life.
And then XIII-2 has Caius, who has also given up on life and wants only for him and Yeul to "die."

XII kinda has it but it's a bit less blatant. The fact humans die relatively fast is brought up a couple times to contrast with the Occuria but I never really felt like it was a central message like in the other games.
Does FF7 have any of the life vs. death theme? It seemed to have more of an environmentalist "Humans suck and the Earth would be better off without us bleeding it" message.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

Does FF7 have any of the life vs. death theme? It seemed to have more of an environmentalist "Humans suck and the Earth would be better off without us bleeding it" message.

FF7's biggest theme is "legacy of what you leave behind." The environmentalism is part of that as well of course but it's an overarching theme throughout all the game and most of the characters. A lot of that involves dead (or thought-to-be-dead) characters and their legacies and what it means to the people who survived them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

i think you mean keis

no those are the bats from Zelda.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did that new SAO game actually end up being fun in the mindless mmo simulator way like Hollow Fragment was.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
FFXII features Ashe thinking about what her dead father and husband would want her to do and the Occuria thing is all about humans making the choice to turn away from powerful forces that promise stable monolithic empires that last centuries but lead to unimaginable suffering. You have to read some of the bestiary stuff to discover that Raithwall had the power to basically bind people to eternal undeath for opposing him or just because he needed some tomb guards; Dynast-Kings are gigantic assholes. This is sort of mirrored in the way the heroes and villain essentially want the same thing, hence Vayne's decision that he will die fighting because he will never surrender his own will.

Codiekitty posted:

(Random off-topic thought: Why do people make such a huge deal about how "Aeris" was supposed to be "Aeirth" even if it makes them sound like Sylvester the Cat, but nobody cares that "Exdeath" was supposed to be "Exodus"?)
Because it's not. エクスデス (eksudesu) is not エクソダス (eksodasu). It appears to be a pun or something but there's a deliberate attempt to invoke the word "death" so not having that in there is probably wrong. As of FF5A and Dissidia his name is officially Exdeath, though the esper version has been localized twice as Exodus and the two are probably meant to be distinct entities (or not, whatever).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think my collection of good/worthy PSP RPGs are now complete with Persona 3 Portable Arriving.

I gots
Legend of heroes
Legend of heros Trails in the Sky
Lunar
Valkyrie profile
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Jeanne D'Arc
Persona
Persona 2
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Phantasy Star Portable
Valkyria 2
YS 1 and 2
Ys Oath
Ys 7
Disgaea
Ogre Battle LUCT
Kingdom hearts BBS

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I played the PS1 version so X-Death for me.

Also Y-Burn. Y-Burn loving owns.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

Right; hearing "Aerith" is like hearing "Chrith", "Weth", or "Thomath"
no, it's like hearing keith. because it's a name that ends in th. because aeris was a mistranslation that has never even been voice acted.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Nakar posted:

Because it's not. エクスデス (eksudesu) is not エクソダス (eksodasu). It appears to be a pun or something but there's a deliberate attempt to invoke the word "death" so not having that in there is probably wrong. As of FF5A and Dissidia his name is officially Exdeath, though the esper version has been localized twice as Exodus and the two are probably meant to be distinct entities (or not, whatever).

So a more accurate translation would be "Exodeath", a portmanteau of "exodus" (since he's a tree that absorbed so many demons he gained sentience and left his forest) and "death"? As is, "Exdeath" sounds like "anti-death".

Also in the Legend of the Crystals anime it was "Exodus", but I don't know how many people count that.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Plek posted:

The guy did a really good job with BNW, but I could not get into it. I wanted to so bad but it turned every loving battle into a slog and made the game kinda unfun and tedious for me. I stopped with Sabin and Shadow because I got wiped like 3 times due to the RNG deciding that the enemies should use their special attacks all in a row 1st and 2nd turns. Bleh. I'm fine with hard, but scraping by every fight in a game with a bunch of random encounters and hoping you don't get ganked by the RNG is not my thing.

Wow, funky, I never had any trouble with the mod's difficulty. I honestly liked the mod mostly for the esper limitations. That really changed it up from everyone being generic to actually having a role.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Endorph posted:

no, it's like hearing keith. because it's a name that ends in th. because aeris was a mistranslation that has never even been voice acted.

Look, my original question was why people get this worked up over the Aeris vs. Aerith thing but don't give a crap about things like "Bartz" originally being called "Butz".

"But Butz is a stupid name!"

So's Aerith.

(Also, "Bartz" isn't much better)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Strange that everyone was just talking about Final Fantasy 12.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088670

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

Look, my original question was why people get this worked up over the Aeris vs. Aerith thing but don't give a crap about things like "Bartz" originally being called "Butz".

So's Aerith.

your brain is broke

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Codiekitty posted:

So's Aerith.

Because no one cares about the story of FFV

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im very sorry to be the one to inform you of this, codiekitty. it's okay. you can work through this, just like Cloud Strife worked through his brain being broke.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Endorph posted:

im very sorry to be the one to inform you of this, codiekitty. it's okay. you can work through this, just like Cloud Strife worked through his brain being broke.

No, he's right and you're wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Codiekitty posted:

So's Aerith.

I'm sure if you write SE a nice long letter about how you can't say her name without lisping they'll see sense and change it back.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't see what's wrong with Bartz.It's just a real name with a z at the end of it.

This reminds me of the last time I heard people seriously complaining about Terra. Her real name is Tina ya know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sabin's real name is Mash, which always makes me hungry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aerith is a stupid name, not at all like the name Cloud Strife which is a cool serious name. He hangs out with characters like Sephiroth the Angel-Man and Barret, who is literally named as a transliteration of the word "bullet."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

No, he's right and you're wrong.
oh god, it's spreading

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont even know what yuffie's name is trying to be. like, her dad has a japanese name, her last name is japanese, but i dont think 'yufi' is a japanese name.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm really sick of Japan using proper English nouns as character names so gently caress y'all she's Aeris to me because it's further away from the word Earth.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think my collection of good/worthy PSP RPGs are now complete with Persona 3 Portable Arriving.

You're missing Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People have been holding on to their Aerith hatred for 18 long years but now, now it's their turn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm really sick of Japan using proper English nouns as character names so gently caress y'all she's Aeris to me because it's further away from the word Earth.
americans also use proper english nouns as names

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

So do you do the same for words in other languages or is it only bad if it is English?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ImpAtom posted:

So do you do the same for words in other languages or is it only bad if it is English?

My native language is French and, yeah, Vanille sounds even worse to my ears.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man im getting some real weird deja vu here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

My native language is French and, yeah, Vanille sounds even worse to my ears.

How about in Japanese?

Are Sora, Riku and Kairi superior to Terra, Ventus and Aqua? What about words that are foreign but happen to be similar to English words like Tidus?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arguing over Aerith's name is now a universal constant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Arguing over Aerith's name is now a universal constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

See, what always felt weird and stupid in the XIII dub was they kept all the names which led to really weird dialogue like Hope saying we don't have any hope.

I would assume it's less weird in Japanese where Hope would be using the Japanese word for hope during conversations. So it wouldn't actually sound like Hope saying we don't have any hope, it would be Hope saying we don't have any...whatever the Japanese word for hope is. It's still the same thing technically but it wouldn't sound as bizarre is my thinking.