Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ImpAtom posted:

How about in Japanese?

Are Sora, Riku and Kairi superior to Terra, Ventus and Aqua? What about words that are foreign but happen to be similar to English words like Tidus?

You misunderstand completely -- the pet peeve is entirely built around running into names that are familiar, everyday words to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

See, what always felt weird and stupid in the XIII dub was they kept all the names which led to really weird dialogue like Hope saying we don't have any hope.

I would assume it's less weird in Japanese where Hope would be using the Japanese word for hope during conversations. So it wouldn't actually sound like Hope saying we don't have any hope, it would be Hope saying we don't have any...whatever the Japanese word for hope is. It's still the same thing technically but it wouldn't sound as bizarre is my thinking.

The translation should have renamed Hope to the Japanese word for hope.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

See, what always felt weird and stupid in the XIII dub was they kept all the names which led to really weird dialogue like Hope saying we don't have any hope.

I would assume it's less weird in Japanese where Hope would be using the Japanese word for hope during conversations. So it wouldn't actually sound like Hope saying we don't have any hope, it would be Hope saying we don't have any...whatever the Japanese word for hope is. It's still the same thing technically but it wouldn't sound as bizarre is my thinking.
the problem there isn't 'it sounded less weird in japanese,' the problem there was poo poo translation

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is 'kibou' by the way.

I learned that from anime.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

My least favorite character in FF13 was Mikomi

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That's not a bad idea. It's kinda the same deal as Tina/Terra, keeping the "spirit" of the name intact.

But whoever localized XIII wanted it to be a very literal translation so what can you do. I still don't mind it, at least not as much as some people on here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is 'kibou' by the way.

I learned that from anime.
there's a variety of words and names that can loosely mean 'hope'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

You misunderstand completely -- the pet peeve is entirely built around running into names that are familiar, everyday words to myself.

I guess I don't get it. A huge percentage of actual real-world names are also words. Like familiar everyday words. June or Melody or Hunter or whatever. It's silly when they are nothing but that (like in Final Fantasy XIII) but you're going to get someone named Ash or Faith or Forest or whatever as a matter of normal naming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

there's a variety of words and names that can loosely mean 'hope'

That was the only one I could remember.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I don't get it. A huge percentage of actual real-world names are also words. Like familiar everyday words. June or Melody or Hunter or whatever. It's silly when they are nothing but that (like in Final Fantasy XIII) but you're going to get someone named Ash or Faith or Forest or whatever as a matter of normal naming.

That's sort of the problem; there are some nouns that are normal to have as names, which makes it seem extra weird when it's not one of those nouns (like EDGE MAVERICK).

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sakurazuka posted:

Arguing over Aeris's name is now a universal constant.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As Raikou punched Yuki to the ground, Mikomi silently nodded in agreement while Vanille and Kiba looked in horror and Pimp Daddy just sighed

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im playing rorona now, and there's a guy whose name is sterk. sterk means strong in my language. i thought it was funny. there's also a blacksmith named hagel which means hail (the ice ruining your car type). anyway, what i'm saying here is that it always amuses me when japanese games (or fantasy books...) take a lot of random rear end words from languages to make names. valkyria chronicles did it a lot too iirc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm now sad RPG's hardly ever let you rename your characters any more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

That's sort of the problem; there are some nouns that are normal to have as names, which makes it seem extra weird when it's not one of those nouns (like EDGE MAVERICK).

I donno, maybe it's because I live in a big city but I went to school with people named Unique, Angel, Flower and Snowflake so I don't really blink at Snow or Fang.

Edge Maverick however does sound like the star of a low-budget bad cop film.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They could have also just rephrased the hope line to be a lot less clunky.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

They do, it's just a first name thing now like Bioware or Fallout.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

They do, it's just a first name thing now like Bioware or Fallout.

Hey now, the new Fallout lets you name your dude and apparently the NPCs have reactive dialogue to it, so that's something.

Even if apparently they showed it off by having a dude named Mr. Fuckface.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Because no one cares about the story of FFV

i like (the gba translation of) ffv's silly story

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can someone remind me why Ar nosurge plus is a bad game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now, the new Fallout lets you name your dude and apparently the NPCs have reactive dialogue to it, so that's something.

Even if apparently they showed it off by having a dude named Mr. Fuckface.

classy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

yes. time to use this post to start an adventure through my post history

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Translation bad, plot is based off a untranslated light novel, gameplay has some serious glitches that have persisted through all versions of the game, the usual Ar Tonelico "oh protagonist-san shove you penis grathnode crystal into my import slot, I'm so naughty" dialogue.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

yes. time to use this post to start an adventure through my post history

*said like the guy in 2001: A Space Oddysey* my god, it's full of poo poo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

you're unjustly probated so i took longer than 5. anyway, ar no surge.

the bad stuff:

i feel like people undersold how connected to Ciel No Surge it is. It's a super direct sequel.

the gameplay balance swings all over the place. you'll be smooth sailing than get obliterated by a boss with no warning. on top of this, there tends to not be save points in front of bosses, so you'll either get blindsided and lost some progress every once in a while, or just play on normal to be safe and never get challenged.

the gameplay is pretty simple. it's fun at first, but you'll quickly realize that since you can use (nearly) every attack at your disposal in a turn, and timing doesn't really matter or anything, you basically just do the exact same thing always.

basically there are synthesis shops each with their own shopkeeper, and as you talk to them you get to see scenes with them and unlock new recipes and stuff. further, whenever you make a new recipe, the characters talk about it. the thing is, the flags are poorly paced, so you unlock like a million scenes and recipes at a time and end up committing to spending big chucks of time all at once clearing this stuff out. a lot of the time the scenes imply progression of time too, which is dumb since they unlock at the same time.

good stuff

the meta stuff in the story is cool

the encounter system is weird, where instead of just fighting a single random encounter, when you get into an encounter you get into an encounter with every enemy in the dungeon, in successive waves. rather than win, your goal is to take down as many as you can in limited turns. they don't respawn either, so if you're good you can literally clear the dungeon of enemies in a single fight, which is satisfying

the music is good

big anime baps

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ty! Exactly what I needed

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mycot posted:

Well no one in SO4's party had a normal name except Sarah.

Also I might remind you the previous game's protagonist was FATE LINEGOD who hung out with...Roger and Cliff. Although, SO3 had some dub name changes so who knows if they had weirder names in the original.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rascyc posted:

I thought it was okay, but I played on Normal where it was impossible to even come close to dying and treated it like a dumb VN with a crafting minigame.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i cannot imagine the state of mind in which you care so much about a character's name getting slightly retranslated that you'd still argue about it nearly 20 years later

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

i cannot imagine the state of mind in which you care so much about a character's name getting slightly retranslated that you'd still argue about it nearly 20 years later

but it sounds silly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked ar nosurge plus is good

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sakurazuka posted:

Our poo poo voice acting is sacrosanct and you will not be permitted to imagine what our characters sound like in a fashion that pleases you, should you still have an imagination at all after 20 years of RPGs.

EDIT: Unless you turn voice acting off, but we're still not letting you rename characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nakar posted:

Our poo poo voice acting is sacrosanct and you will not be permitted to imagine what our characters sound like in a fashion that pleases you, should you still have an imagination at all after 20 years of RPGs.

EDIT: Unless you turn voice acting off, but we're still not letting you rename characters.
this is a dumb attitude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voice acting... is good

and i havent cared about renaming characters in like a decade

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

Are Sora, Riku and Kairi superior to Terra, Ventus and Aqua?

Yes, because they didn't get iced while fighting Devil Nimoy.

I guess the jury's still out on Aqua.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't like when games with voice acting let you name your character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't like when games with voice acting let you name your character.
tidus was the weirdest poo poo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

I hated it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

most atlus games still let you name your hero, though some people I've seen are really obsessive in knowing and using the "canon name" for their character for some strange reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

I never noticed until someone pointed it out but now it's all I can think about.