Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

The show peaked when he killed Satan, if I had been the Doctor I would have retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
So is Doctor Who still running or did tumblr just stop talking about it when he turned into an old guy?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

doctor who is trash. british people have an excuse because they've been watching it for 100 years and it's background noise in the hills of albion at this point, but anyone outside of the uk who voluntarily watches it should sit down and reflect on where they went wrong. that said i've never personally seen a single episode but i'm sure there's like two good ones from the 70s or something

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

oddium posted:

that said i've never personally seen a single episode

then how do you know it's trash

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

then how do you know it's trash

The same way people in the Doctor Who thread know that Homestuck is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Oxxidation is human garbage

Hey Toxx, just keep it up in here Okay buddy?

Don't worry about your thread

It's going just fine

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Regy Rusty posted:

The same way people in the Doctor Who thread know that Homestuck is.

Because it's a factual statement? I agree Regy rusty

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

WAR FOOT posted:

There are some really good Doctor Who episodes! Midnight, Blink, and Vincent and the Doctor. There are also some really bad episodes, like Fear Her, Love and Monsters, and the one where he kills Satan with a black hole.

My go-to argument: There is literally an episode named "Let's Kill Hitler".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Because it's a factual statement? I agree Regy rusty

See, we're on the same page

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My go-to argument: There is literally an episode named "Let's Kill Hitler".

And they DON'T EVEN KILL HITLER WHAT THE HELL

That's just false advertising

If you're going to have an outlandish title, you best loving follow it up

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The_Final_Stand posted:

I fail to see how anything described as "kill Satan with a black hole" can be anything other than amazing.

Spoiler alert: it's a two parter, part one is some pretty excellent alien horror with suspenseful build up and great monster design.

Part two proceeds to utterly poo poo the bed by a) showing you the monster behind the freaky devil mind control shenanigans and b) having it actually be a brainless meatsack. The intended take is that they've opened pandoras box only to discover that the box was actually already opened aeons ago, but far from being spooky and dramatic it only serves to take the punch out of everything that's happened so far.

Like, imagine you're watching John Carpenter's The Thing but with a whole lot of satanic imagery thrown in (so a bit like ghosts of Mars but not poo poo). Then they get to the end and it's actually just a really big dog. The given explanation for the body horror has been rendered invalid, but no alternative explanation is provided. They kill the dog. The end.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Burkion posted:

And they DON'T EVEN KILL HITLER WHAT THE HELL

That's just false advertising

If you're going to have an outlandish title, you best loving follow it up

"Let's Punch Hitler and Lock Him In A Cupboard" just didn't have the same ring to it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I started liking Doctor Who a lot more once I started thinking of it less like a serious drama/action show and more like a pulpy low-budget sci-fi show. I know that's not what it is, but it makes it a lot easier to forgive the faults.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

I started liking Doctor Who a lot more once I started thinking of it less like a serious drama/action show and more like a pulpy low-budget sci-fi show. I know that's not what it is, but it makes it a lot easier to forgive the faults.

What? I thought that's exactly what it was?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Who What Now posted:

What? I thought that's exactly what it was?

The wunderkinder posting in TVIV might disagree, but yes, Doctor Who is so pulp you wouldn't want to find it in your lemonade.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Doctor Who is okay. It was better before the writers decided to include insults about the leading lady's age and appearance in literally every episode for no good reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

The wunderkinder posting in TVIV might disagree, but yes, Doctor Who is so pulp you wouldn't want to find it in your lemonade.

Honestly the biggest problem with Doctor Who is that it isn't pulp enough most of the time.

If you're going to do one extreme or the other, go balls out. Don't water yourself down with bullshit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Honestly the biggest problem with Doctor Who is that it isn't pulp enough most of the time.

If you're going to do one extreme or the other, go balls out. Don't water yourself down with bullshit.

Yes, wise words from Mr. "Why doesn't the title character just hold orgies in his spaceship until his race is repopulated"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, wise words from Mr. "Why doesn't the title character just hold orgies in his spaceship until his race is repopulated"

It requires a Matriorb first jeez please keep up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not doubting I've said words to this effect but when did I say that?

And why, I guess, is the better question

Burkion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 1, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
why would anyone ever not have orgies in their spaceship??

kind of defeats the whole ppoint of having a spaceship at all

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mazerunner posted:

why would anyone ever not have orgies in their spaceship??

kind of defeats the whole ppoint of having a spaceship at all

That might have been a Doctor Who thing where if you have sex on the TARDIS your baby can become a Timelord because of bad writing and that would have been me poking fun at the lovely writing that surrounds River's Mary Sue esque nature.

Like imagine Jade as she was presented only with an air of smugness and also it isn't all a lie.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

The_Final_Stand posted:

I fail to see how anything described as "kill Satan with a black hole" can be anything other than amazing.

Then Doctor Who truly is ground breaking.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Plom Bar posted:

Doctor Who is okay. It was better before the writers decided to include insults about the leading lady's age and appearance in literally every episode for no good reason.

Don't forget the whole "The Doctor has no money because Scottish" thing

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
River Song is basically the worst character and I do not get why anyone liked her. DID anyone like her?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

River Song is basically the worst character and I do not get why anyone liked her. DID anyone like her?

The first episodes with her (Last from her perspective I guess) weren't bad. Too bad those weren't the only episodes with her in it!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
For the love of loving God, don't bring Doctor Who into this thread, there have been enough psychologically maladjusted wastes of DNA having a grand ol' time in TVIV with that bullshit already today

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

"Let's Punch Hitler and Lock Him In A Cupboard" just didn't have the same ring to it.

"Let's Go Back In Time And Kick Hitler's rear end" is a great title though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

For the love of loving God, don't bring Doctor Who into this thread, there have been enough psychologically maladjusted wastes of DNA having a grand ol' time in TVIV with that bullshit already today

Hi how are you

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Oxxidation posted:

I don't go into TVIV but :agreed:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

Overruled. Continue talking about Doctor Who

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love River Song AND Calliope. So there.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Hey weren't we talking about unironic roleplay a while back that sounds like fun

My title is Rogue of Doom how bout you folks

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I need to get drunk and finish up my Homestuck Waifu tiers.

I was up to Kankri last time (he rated low)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I need to get drunk and finish up my Homestuck Waifu tiers.

I was up to Kankri last time (he rated low)

Is Vriska her own tier

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

RZApublican posted:

Is Vriska her own tier

You'll have to wait and see

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Hey weren't we talking about unironic roleplay a while back that sounds like fun

My title is Rogue of Doom how bout you folks

My title is Seer of Time and my chumhandle is constantProcrastinator and my strife specibus is...

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Let's wait until we have a pause timeline before we really get stuck into roleplay, I don't want to have to explain my headcanons about troll dicks if we do not get to do this for at least six months

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Speaking of which, the only evidence we have that trolls are hermaphroditic is an offhand comment by Vriska about her bulge, right? I know women who will say, in exasperation, that people can suck their dicks, and I can certainly see Vriska in that class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
NO

NO

NO NO NO