Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Analogical posted:

I remember in A-School there was a 22 year old PO1 that everybody hated because he got promoted in the field for some poo poo he did. It was weird to be an E3 and have this guy yelling at me who was a year younger than me. I've never seen him again so I assume he failed out at some point in the school.

I was a 21 year old 2LT in Korea once upon a time, trying to educate an E5 in his 50s (10+ year gap in service) on the army supply system, which I didn't comprehend myself. You can't even yell at someone like that. It's embarrassing for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not understanding the Army supply system is hardly a personal failing. Even magic or the force has some kind of internal consistency most times. Army supply just makes no loving sense and I'm not entirely convinced it operates in the same set of dimensions as the reality we interact with.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
NTC is like grad school.
JRTC is like middle school. Also more humid and with gators.

These are my observations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

2 women in Ranger school have passed the mountain phase.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-of-graduation/

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

psydude posted:

Every Armor/Cavalry officer I know wound up doing dismounted patrols in Afghanistan, so while I'm sure there's a lot of cool maneuver doctrine you learn in ABOLC I'm not sure how useful it could be considered in the contemporary operating environment.

Yeah, the focus is around the Abrams for phase 2 and 3 but there's also dismounted training thrown in here and there. My class is going to be the last one to train on the Bradley's as well, it's just going to be the Abrams for the classes that follow mine. Weirdly only about 1/5th of my class is going to units with Abrams, so most of us won't see the inside of an Abrams after we're done with ABOLC. Talked to some tank platoon leaders in 3rd ID and they said they do dismounted training fairly often.

I have ARC in my orders and SLC since I'm headed to an SBCT. Ranger seemed likely when I first got here but we found out that our Ranger slots have been reduced and the guys going to IBCTs are the first priority for those.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Is there a new SLC? I thought SLC was the old name for ARC.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004
i am a pirate of the high seas
So they totally changed how NCOs are promoted in the Army Reserve. As long as the Soldier is eligible (meaning has met TIG, TIS, and completed mandatory minimum education) they are AUTOMATICALLY PROMOTED to E5 and E6. The only way they are not promoted is if the Commander flags them and counsels them that they are not ready for promotion.

I hate this loving organization so much.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

calmasahinducow posted:

So they totally changed how NCOs are promoted in the Army Reserve. As long as the Soldier is eligible (meaning has met TIG, TIS, and completed mandatory minimum education) they are AUTOMATICALLY PROMOTED to E5 and E6. The only way they are not promoted is if the Commander flags them and counsels them that they are not ready for promotion.

drat I had to board for 5 in the guard, that poo poo is insane.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

calmasahinducow posted:

Wait, what? So no points, no board, minimal BS?

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004

Aranan posted:

Wait, what? So no points, no board, minimal BS?

That's the gist of it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the same poo poo happened when we deployed to Iraq. everyone who met pt/tis standards got E5.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Is there a new SLC? I thought SLC was the old name for ARC.

Meant Stryker Leaders Course

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

calmasahinducow posted:

lmao

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
As someone who had an MOS whose points never dropped below 798 the whole time I was in and was really mad about it for the longest time it makes me very happy that my immediate, unfiltered reaction to that was "AHAHAHA, gently caress ALL OF YOU WHO ARE STILL IN"

I'm well on the way to purging all the dumb poo poo the Army did from my memory, and now I can laugh at the suffering of others.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

calmasahinducow posted:

:magical:

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
We just had a few people get promoted this way. It fucks over a close friend of mine, he put in a promotion packet under his secondary MOS so when he gets picked up he could leave the unit. Now he has to stay, he is not happy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

11b1p posted:

We just had a few people get promoted this way. It fucks over a close friend of mine, he put in a promotion packet under his secondary MOS so when he gets picked up he could leave the unit. Now he has to stay, he is not happy.

lmao got 'em

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if it makes anyone here feel any better if an E5 guardsmen/reservist goes full army they get knocked back down

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if it makes anyone here feel any better if an E5 guardsmen/reservist goes full army they get knocked back down

Everything about this is funny. Is there a :downs: wearing a helmet out there somewhere? It'd be perfect for this.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

show me da reg

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Equine Don posted:

show me da reg

gently caress you im not looking for that poo poo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Barracks lawyer 101

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Equine Don posted:

Barracks lawyer 101

This is all i could find based on the new promotion standards, i guess. of the 5 people i know that did this they all lost a rank for doing so, except the one that went ad air force

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/enlisted/2015/02/23/army-promotion-regulation-updated/23492405/

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don't care enough to want a real source, I just was lazy and wanted you to find something for me to laugh at

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Equine Don posted:

I don't care enough to want a real source, I just was lazy and wanted you to find something for me to laugh at

just laugh at anyone in the guard or reserve going full retard

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

All this isn't entirely correct. Yes, everyone goes on the PPRL when they hit their TIS/TIG. But unless they submit a promo packet, they get put on the PPRL with either 38 or 39 points. It's meant to highlight these Soldiers to higher so they can't just hide in the E4 mafia forever.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Retardog posted:

All this isn't entirely correct. Yes, everyone goes on the PPRL when they hit their TIS/TIG. But unless they submit a promo packet, they get put on the PPRL with either 38 or 39 points. It's meant to highlight these Soldiers to higher so they can't just hide in the E4 mafia forever.

they can't, if you're an e4 at 20 you're out, right?

our cook had to retire because of that, which sucked because he was the best cook i've ever met in the army. dude packed about 10 cases of adobo for our AT.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

our cook had to retire because of that, which sucked because he was the best cook i've ever met in the army. dude packed about 10 cases of adobo for our AT.

i thought it was at 12.

unless points are capped for your entire career i don't know how you don't get e5. you can almost get that poo poo on accident.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Cole posted:

i thought it was at 12.

unless points are capped for your entire career i don't know how you don't get e5. you can almost get that poo poo on accident.

maybe its 20 for guard/reserve

this dude was up to a e6 iirc but he kept getting knocked down for banging during drill with some random girl

dude fuckin owned

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Retardog posted:

so they can't just hide in the E4 mafia forever.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

calmasahinducow posted:

Yeah they're insanely short on E6s right now. Our brigade CSM basically laid it out exactly like it is: after 10 years of going on deployments and not dealing with peacetime Army, nobody wants to lose a weekend and a couple of weeks a year to sit around in the drill hall doing mandatory briefings and going on formation runs while singing like idiots.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I had a guy retire as an E4 after we got back from Afghanistan. Nice old guy who never complained once and just didn't want to hold a leadership position.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 2, 2015

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I knew a cook who retired active duty 20 years as e-4, afaik he didnt get demoted in the 3 years we were in the same unit together either, no clue how that worked.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Anyone have any advice for apt shopping near a post? Moving to carson in a few months and looking at apts online and they all seem to have terrible reviews or end up being email scams.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I lived at Quail Springs close to post and Grand Centennial further away. Both were fine.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ace of Baes posted:

Anyone have any advice for apt shopping near a post? Moving to carson in a few months and looking at apts online and they all seem to have terrible reviews or end up being email scams.
Mesa Ridge Apartments are pretty good for being close by. They're just a few miles from Gate 20, were built pretty recently and have been pretty hassle-free for me.

Knocking on wood, but being there I've been spared the hailstorms that rock the base and Colorado Springs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ace of Baes posted:

A pretty good rule for all of those situations is to get outside the gate, start driving and don't stop for at least half an hour. AT LEAST. Then start looking. All the landlords inside that radius know the score and will gently caress you raw dog style because they're aiming to rent to stupid 18 year old newlyweds with BAH burning a hole in their pocket, and that is who your neighbors will be.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

SumYungGui posted:

A pretty good rule for all of those situations is to get outside the gate, start driving and don't stop for at least half an hour. AT LEAST. Then start looking. All the landlords inside that radius know the score and will gently caress you raw dog style because they're aiming to rent to stupid 18 year old newlyweds with BAH burning a hole in their pocket, and that is who your neighbors will be.

Yeah I'm aware of that, it seems like the surrounding areas that start to make up for the price difference end up costing it in cost in gas, been looking at westside though, I heard some good things from a friend who's lived in Co Springs most of their life.

calmasahinducow
Oct 31, 2004

Retardog posted:

Yup, you're right. I guess the BDE/BN CSM has to validate them from the PPRL to the CLI. I'm still not exactly clear on how exactly this is all going to work and apparently neither is my brigade. The USARC memo is dated 11 March but the BDE S1 only found out about it last week. My command is requiring a promotion packet, but the last board they had, there was an E4 whose packet was rejected, but he still made the PPRL and then we got promotion orders from HRC.

As a company commander this whole thing is flabbergasting. I can flag E4s who are not ready to be promoted, but I also have to bar them from re-enlistment. A bar requires a bunch of substantiating documentation in order to be accepted. This just complicates things so much and creates so much work for everyone.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

calmasahinducow posted:

As a company commander this whole thing is flabbergasting. I can flag E4s who are not ready to be promoted, but I also have to bar them from re-enlistment. A bar requires a bunch of substantiating documentation in order to be accepted. This just complicates things so much and creates so much work for everyone.

Can the substantiating documentation just be, "I don't want to reenlist. I'm out in less than a year. gently caress you, gently caress the army, suck my dick from the back. [Please save me from making the same mistakes in the future.]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Can the substantiating documentation just be, "I don't want to reenlist. I'm out in less than a year. gently caress you, gently caress the army, suck my dick from the back. [Please save me from making the same mistakes in the future.]"

I thought a few negative counsels for being a gently caress up was enough substantiating documentation.

"Initial counseling said these guidelines, soldier hosed up these lines repeatedly and does not demonstrate leadership potential "

Maybe I'm too optimistic but if you're recommending shitbags for demotion then it's also not great in their packet, but that would require work from the CO level and they're usually loving too busy.

• Locked thread