Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
That's pretty good :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Fuckin' lost it at "This"

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

To be slightly fair, there used to be only a handful of idiot lights until manufacturers decided to make their own version of cuneiform.

"Oh you had ACBA show up on your dash with something resembling a radiation symbol? Yeah that means uh...? Automated City Breaking Assist? I have no clue what the gently caress that means other than you should Google it."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One thing I really like about my VW is that when there is an actual issue and not just a warning light it says "STOP IMMEDIATELY" on the MDF. When my waterpump poo poo the bed and the car started to overheat the car basically told me to PULL OVER NAOOOOOOOOO.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

One thing I really like about my VW is that when there is an actual issue and not just a warning light it says "STOP IMMEDIATELY" on the MDF. When my waterpump poo poo the bed and the car started to overheat the car basically told me to PULL OVER NAOOOOOOOOO.

Yep, my VW is pretty good about that too, except when it freaks out about non-existent oil pressure/level problems. That's only happened to me twice over 4.5 years of owning it, but holy poo poo that scared me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

smax posted:

Yep, my VW is pretty good about that too, except when it freaks out about non-existent oil pressure/level problems. That's only happened to me twice over 4.5 years of owning it, but holy poo poo that scared me.

That's fine to some degree. I'd rather have an unneeded two than lunch the motor.
However, I do think cars have too many lights that go on so often. Before some cars got gas cap lights, the first light people would see is the cel come on for the engine. If got cleared, and they learned the lights were nothing to worry about. Then the engine oil pressure or temp light comes on and they think "well maybe I have time to go to the dealer next tuesday" and drive on until they kill the motor and talk about how unreliable camrys are.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

smax posted:

I like the system, but gently caress the person who decided to treat low washer fluid with the same urgency as low fuel. You get a warning every time you turn on your car and a yellow light flashes over the clock every 5 seconds the entire time the car is running.

My fluid sensor has been broke for about a year and I just don't notice that warning anymore. Makes me wonder if I'd notice other, more urgent warnings.

My check engine light has been on for about six months now and that just has the regular CEL in the corner. Apparently, washer fluid is more important than that!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You probably killed the fluid sensor with Rain-X or something, which is really weird to me because my wife's old-rear end Nissan has a low washer fluid light that doesn't seem to care if you use Rain-X on it.

I actually like the light. I don't have it in my Subaru, and if I forget to check the fluid when I'm checking my oil I usually end up getting on the highway and swearing when I hit the washer button and a weak trickle comes out followed by nothing.

It kind of annoys me that cars reuse the "parking brake is on" light for "low brake fluid level," because one of those is very important and the other is self evident.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You probably killed the fluid sensor with Rain-X or something

Yup! I used Rain-X for 6+ years without a problem, then, boom!

I like the warning, I just don't need it flashing in my face the entire time I drive, especially since there was generally a good bit of fluid left when the light would come on. When it worked, the light would come on, I'd go to Walmart in the next couple of days, it'd be okay. A message like the one I get when it's time to change my oil is good enough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The FMVSS requirements for that are fully retarded and I think they were created in the 70s. You are allowed to use seperate indicators or one for the whole shebang.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ahem

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think that's the panel from a Rabbit Cabrio Sport.

Wait, no, it didn't have an auto spoiler.

Some diesel Porsche then.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
But... none of those are funny.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Original beetle had two lights, one for pressure, one for alternator function. If either of them lit solid while driving you better stop right loving now. That's how dashboard indicators should work.. only make a fanfare about things that require stopping the car and repairing.

Would probably be hard to document all the billion things that can break on a modern car with two bulbs though. A 60 character display that gave human error messages would be a good option.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

Original beetle had two lights, one for pressure, one for alternator function. If either of them lit solid while driving you better stop right loving now. That's how dashboard indicators should work.. only make a fanfare about things that require stopping the car and repairing.

Would probably be hard to document all the billion things that can break on a modern car with two bulbs though. A 60 character display that gave human error messages would be a good option.
Don't most fairly modern cars have this? My car (Saab) bongs and turns on a warning light on in the speedo, and a message on the center console will tell you what's wrong. The only difference in this workflow from an airliner is the lack of a PNF who will pull out the QRH or abnormals checklist and start reading from the top.

There's even two distinct levels just like on aircraft (master caution with a yellow light: light bulb broken or wiper fluid low or somesuch. Master warning with a big red light: ABS failure SO STOP RIGHT loving NOW).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
My daughter was about 2 hours away from the house when she heard a bang and the clutch pedal was stuck on the floor.

She made it through traffic to a parking spot, and I came out to drive the truck back home. The clutch safety switch could no longer be actuated, of course.
Cue the ultimate cowboy fix:

it was replaced by a cut down pencil for the drive home

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My Peugeot has a big red "STOP" light front and centre on the dash, which is nice and unequivocal versus trying to decipher what some of the dash symbols mean.

If I one day build a track car I'm going to label oil pressure, water temp and voltage "gently caress", " poo poo" and "drat" respectively.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"poo poo's on fire yo"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

joat mon posted:

My daughter was about 2 hours away from the house when she heard a bang and the clutch pedal was stuck on the floor.

She made it through traffic to a parking spot, and I came out to drive the truck back home. The clutch safety switch could no longer be actuated, of course.
Cue the ultimate cowboy fix:

it was replaced by a cut down pencil for the drive home

"clutch rod went, so I had to put a bullet in her." :clint:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Terrible Robot posted:

Fuckin' lost it at "This"

I once had my sister try to describe "this" to me over the phone at two in the morning when her car wouldn't start.

Words can't even loving begin.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine a world where instead of a "check engine" light, your high-resolution flat-panel display printed out the actual messages that the OBD2 codes resolved to and what their urgency was.

Crazy I know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's like saying 'imagine a world where car manufacturers give a flying gently caress about anything other than cost'.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Data Graham posted:

Imagine a world where instead of a "check engine" light, your high-resolution flat-panel display printed out the actual messages that the OBD2 codes resolved to and what their urgency was.

Crazy I know

Most drivers aren't competent enough to handle that information. "Stop now" and "get to a mechanic soon" are about as granular as the defaults should be. I'd love to not need extra tools just to read codes, but I know that the average Joe will have issues if too much information is displayed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Certainly, but they could at least be categorized/coalesced. There's got to be a happy medium where drivers aren't trained to put electrical tape over the light rather than make the trip to AutoZone to figure out what the hell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

jammyozzy posted:

My Peugeot has a big red "STOP" light front and centre on the dash, which is nice and unequivocal versus trying to decipher what some of the dash symbols mean.

Trouble with that system is any given Peugeot is likely to have that lamp lit whether or not there is anything actually wrong.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Data Graham posted:

Crazy I know

This is the best (possibly the only good) part of OnStar.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Okay pop quiz. What's do these icons mean?

The clues I will give you:

Rover 75
Appeared 1 hour after I bought the car from a dealer, when I was performing an emergency stop (wanted to test the brakes). I released the brake pedal, the front rose back up, the icons appeared
Stayed lit for the rest of journey home (3miles)
Doesn't appear in the users handbook anywhere.
Isn't the Top Gear logo next to the Cat in the Hat's hat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I can't ever see that working- Toyota deliberately dumbed down the temp gauges in their cars for YEARS because retards would see it fluctuate with engine load and outsid temp and freak out and call the dealer.

So we ended up with a gauge that shows normal temp from 60-100 degrees c and only starts to move into the red when the temps already hit 120 and climbing

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

I can't ever see that working- Toyota deliberately dumbed down the temp gauges in their cars for YEARS because retards would see it fluctuate with engine load and outsid temp and freak out and call the dealer.

So we ended up with a gauge that shows normal temp from 60-100 degrees c and only starts to move into the red when the temps already hit 120 and climbing

I feel like in this day and age, all new cars should have gauges that you can get to show the actual values. Sure, for average motorists, have it sit in the middle of the gauge for temp/oil presure/whatever, but enthusiasts can do some kind of song and dance to enable "actual value mode" where the gauges show an actual readout.

By song and dance, I mean those crazy key on-off + button pushing things you can do on some cars to disable traction control or whatever. Most people won't give a drat, but those who want to can have gauges that actually gauge things instead of idiot lights that happen to posses a needle for some reason.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Boat posted:

I feel like in this day and age, all new cars should have gauges that you can get to show the actual values. Sure, for average motorists, have it sit in the middle of the gauge for temp/oil presure/whatever, but enthusiasts can do some kind of song and dance to enable "actual value mode" where the gauges show an actual readout.

By song and dance, I mean those crazy key on-off + button pushing things you can do on some cars to disable traction control or whatever. Most people won't give a drat, but those who want to can have gauges that actually gauge things instead of idiot lights that happen to posses a needle for some reason.

It's not really the same at all, since in experience by the time warning lights come on it's too late (WHY?), but an OBDII adapter and an app like Torque are great for this.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

spog posted:

Rover 75
Appeared 1 hour after I bought the car from a dealer, when I was performing an emergency stop (wanted to test the brakes). I released the brake pedal, the front rose back up, the icons appeared

Warning: Impending Doom. Human Sacrifice may be required at your local Nahuatl pyramid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The first one looks like it could represent tyre pressure to me. No idea on the second.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

spog posted:

Rover 75

Id say you flipped some sort of steering angle/stability control code.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

spog posted:

OUR ANTHILL IS TRADEMARKED

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 2, 2015

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

dissss posted:

The first one looks like it could represent tyre pressure to me. No idea on the second.

It's clearly indicating that it's running low on Devo.

TIME TO WHIP IT

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Wonder_Bread posted:

It's not really the same at all, since in experience by the time warning lights come on it's too late (WHY?), but an OBDII adapter and an app like Torque are great for this.

Never really thought of that for some reason. The ODBII port on my car is ludicrously easy to get at, I just may have to grab one of those bluetooth ODBII dongles and Torque. Thanks!

spog posted:

I'm going with something to do with the ultrasonic backup sensors/camera for the pyramid looking thing. Just a hunch since the icon reminds me of the display pattern you usually see on the screen indicating object distance or what-have-you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Boat posted:

Never really thought of that for some reason. The ODBII port on my car is ludicrously easy to get at, I just may have to grab one of those bluetooth ODBII dongles and Torque. Thanks!

Only get BT if you're using android. For IOS you want a wifi one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Question: does the oval speedometer actually point to speeds properly or does it just rotate linearly with speed like a circular one would?

I can imagine Rover just doing the normal linear rotation and the speedo being pretty much worthless for the sake of "style".

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Godholio posted:

Only get BT if you're using android. For IOS you want a wifi one.

And pray your manufacturer didnt do something stupid like use an OBD-II port with M-OBD running on it.

Thanks toyota, Cos I really didnt want to be able to buy a cheap adaptor to read my system and wanted to spend a fortune on an MOBD reader...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Question: does the oval speedometer actually point to speeds properly or does it just rotate linearly with speed like a circular one would?

I can imagine Rover just doing the normal linear rotation and the speedo being pretty much worthless for the sake of "style".

It looks to me like the numbers have consistent angular spacing, so the needle can turn the same as it would on a circular speedometer.