Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Spent most of the day trading texts and links with my sister about Roddy Piper. I hated him, hated him as a kid because he was so mean to Hulk. But going back and looking at all that stuff as a teen and again now, god drat the guy was so, so good. That 2008 Rumble pop got me teary-eyed, gotta admit. He looked so happy to be there, poking Snuka in the eye one more time :unsmith:

If the steroids and coke don't kill you while you're doing them, they just bide their time and strike 20-30 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Two Beans posted:

CM Punk sitting against the ropes just marking out as this unfolds in front of him.

That wild, wide grin is kinda adorable.

I'm just pointing out that Vince's 70th birthday is the Raw after Summerslam.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Today is my birthday. I may just have to subject my party guests to a double-feature of They Live followed by Hell Comes to Frogtown.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Freudian slippers posted:

Doesn't really say much. 61 is still far too young.

The unfortunate part of wrestling. It's one of the hardest careers in the world, especially if you want to be famous enough to make a living out of it. Wrestlers who make it to their 60s are usually retired, battered in ways nobody can imagine, and with very large medicine cabinets.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Legit bummed about this. Piper was huge in Portland in the 80s/90s. So huge, in fact, that my mom texted me today saying that she was sad about it.

same with my grandma, she used to go to the pacific northwest wrestling shows to see him way back when

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thank you man this...this just made my day. Punk and Mundo marking out, Taker selling the effects of headbutting Snuka. Hearing those pipes play to hear that crowd pop. :unsmith: Feels good.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Was snuka the one to allegedly killed his girlfriend?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Chromatic posted:

Was snuka the one to allegedly killed his girlfriend?

Yes.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I'm really glad the newer generation stays away from a lot of the vices and behavior that was prevalent in the 80's and 90's. Sure they may drink and party hard every once and a while, but they're not going through mountains of coke and painkillers every time they travel the eastern seaboard like the guys did decades previous.

Rip Piper

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Chromatic posted:

I'm really glad the newer generation stays away from a lot of the vices and behavior that was prevalent in the 80's and 90's. Sure they may drink and party hard every once and a while, but they're not going through mountains of coke and painkillers every time they travel the eastern seaboard like the guys did decades previous.

Rip Piper

It's gonna be weird watching Xavier grow old while LPing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Meltzer was credited verbally as "one wrestling analyst" and got cut down to an 8 second clip of a skype video call where he didn't even get a name identification bug. lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Given that Piper was a wrestler, had addiction issues and battled cancer, the dude is a loving badass for living as long as he did. Gonna miss him.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Chromatic posted:

Rip Piper

I don't think there's a diva in nxt or WWE who isn't single either. Everybody's in nice wholesome relationships :unsmith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I guess I take solace in the fact that it wasn't a suicide due to CTE or death via drug overdose. It still sucks that he's dead, but it's not immediately apparent that his career as a wrestler had a hand in killing him, and that his death was via "natural causes," so to speak.

Don't get me wrong, it still sucks that he's dead and I"m going to miss seeing him once or twice a year on WWE TV. I just wish I'd gotten into wrestling in the 80's when he was the top heel. It seems like you truly had to "be there" in the moment to really appreacaite it. Piper was part time when I got into things in 1993. I'm not counting his time in WCW and his "Age in the Cage" match with Hogan at whatever the gently caress PPV it was.

Also, he was scheduled to be on a podcast about 2 hours after news broke that he was dead. It looked at the guy's Twitter and it's heartbreaking--- "I was supposed to be talking to him right now... I loved him like a Dad." :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 1, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gaz-L posted:

His dog collar match with Valentine is a hell of a spectacle, but be aware it's loving brutal in terms of the violence.

This and the IC title match he had with Bret were a couple of my favorites by far. That, and his "retirement" match against Adrian Adonis, HUGE pop from the Mania crowd for that match.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Roman Reigns posted:

I don't think there's a diva in nxt or WWE who isn't single either. Everybody's in nice wholesome relationships :unsmith:

Seth!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I'm sure he's in a nice wholesome relationship now

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Roman Reigns posted:

Didn't Rosa Mendes have a fiance that was completely off the rails or something?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact, Roddy voiced a character called Flame Lord in Adventure Time.
The episode 'The Red Throne' had a good parody of his 'They Live' alley fight. His opponent was Flame King, voiced by Keith David.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

Jasmine/Nhooph and Emma single the rest aren't.

It is still Wrestling and relationships only matter so much.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm in Winnipeg and I don't think we recognize one of our favorite sons nearly enough. Our local newspaper (free press) ran the obituary from the Canadian Press rather than writing their own and recognizing where he came from. I think I want to crowd fund a statue to honour him

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

rovert posted:

thank you for the scoops

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Say Nothing posted:

Fun fact, Roddy voiced a character called Flame Lord in Adventure Time.
The episode 'The Red Throne' had a good parody of his 'They Live' alley fight. His opponent was Flame King, voiced by Keith David.

They really should have had Roddy Piper voice a character on Gargoyles.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

all of them are dead

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Final Destination. Items allowed since Roddy got there. :getin:

rovert posted:

It's true I'll let y'all know when Paige and I set our wedding date. :shepface:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 2, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I did it. My friends will be saying "You have aroused...the three snakes!" for the next five years.

RIP Roddy

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Ronda Rousey beat the poo poo out of Bethe Correia in all of 34 seconds and immediately paid tribute to Roddy. She said that he and her late father saw a great show :unsmith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dr. rear end posted:

Ronda Rousey beat the poo poo out of Bethe Correia in all of 34 seconds and immediately paid tribute to Roddy. She said that he and her late father saw a great show :unsmith:

This woman. Jesus. No better person to carry on the Rowdy name than a charmingly terrifying person.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I often consider buying UFC PPV just for Ronda fights, but the last three now have made it abundantly clear that I should just wait for the gif to come out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

I often consider buying UFC PPV just for Ronda fights, but the last three now have made it abundantly clear that I should just wait for the gif to come out.

She's had 12 fights, and combined they total slightly longer than a full-distance UFC championship fight (title fights are 25 minutes, thus far in her career she's fought for 25 minutes and 36 seconds, only one fight lasting longer than a round)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know if the other women are that bad or she's just that good but I can tell you the woman she fought tonight looked like she could rip my head right off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I don't know if the other women are that bad or she's just that good but I can tell you the woman she fought tonight looked like she could rip my head right off.

From what I understand it's a combination of both. The women's division is newer and therefore not as solid as the men's, but she's also a genetic freak who trains like an insane person. I could be totally wrong here, I don't follow UFC that closely.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dr. rear end posted:

Instead of going for the expected submission offense, Ronda destroyed her with a Star Platinum fury of strikes.

In other words, just when you think you have the answers, she changes the questions.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

TheJoker138 posted:

From what I understand it's a combination of both. The women's division is newer and therefore not as solid as the men's, but she's also a genetic freak who trains like an insane person. I could be totally wrong here, I don't follow UFC that closely.

That's about right, someone on the gdt compared it to an Olympic medalist in shooting taking out fish in a barrel.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Yeah with Ronda fights it's mostly a matchup of “a lifetime of training at the highest possible level” vs “hey, I can take a punch, I’ll try this MMA thing."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gavok posted:

Instead of going for the expected submission offense, Ronda destroyed her with a Star Platinum fury of strikes.

In other words, just when you think you have the answers, she changes the questions.

Boom, thread over.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

Didn't Rosa Mendes have a fiance that was completely off the rails or something?

Jackson Andrews. Was on the main roster for two or three weeks. Weirdly long torso and roided to hell. Later came out that he had another fiancee in addition to Rosa, and the two did not know about one another.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

I did it. My friends will be saying "You have aroused...the three snakes!" for the next five years.

RIP Roddy

Whoa wait, Dusty's death was an accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

Whoa wait, Dusty's death was an accident?

All I know is he was rushed to the hospital after falling over and suffered massive complications, like kidney failure.

• Locked thread