Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ugh bet those Mirelurks dont even have 1000 lines of personalised context specific dialogue remind me why would I want to even play this game???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Flaky posted:

ugh bet those Mirelurks dont even have 1000 lines of personalised context specific dialogue remind me why would I want to even play this game???

oh hey thats me in every Bethesda game ever, the stealth archer sniper

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Looking forward to seagulls being the Cliff Racers of New Boston.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

7c Nickel posted:

I read this and it sounds like exactly what I would want. Weren't people bitching earlier that Bethesda sucks because every character can do everything at once and characters don't feel different enough?
Well, you don't need to be able to pick everything, but if you have, let's say, 50 perks per game to dole out, and each perk has four levels, just filling them out from top to bottom would let you max out the first tier, then half of the second. Apparently there are something like 270 levels of perks total, so unless you get a LOT of perks, you'll need to specialize pretty heavily.

Like, say you go for any sort of gun-based build. You probably have 4 for Gun Nut, 4 for Repair, 4 for Commando, 4 for Gunslinger, 4 for Sniper (which is 8 PER, so throw in another few points for that), and that's 24-ish just for weapon maintenance and damage. That's half our hypothetical perks over the whole game.

So basically, it depends on how quickly you gain levels this time around. Plenty of people modded New Vegas to give a perk every level instead of every two; I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Well, you don't need to be able to pick everything, but if you have, let's say, 50 perks per game to dole out, and each perk has four levels, just filling them out from top to bottom would let you max out the first tier, then half of the second. Apparently there are something like 270 levels of perks total, so unless you get a LOT of perks, you'll need to specialize pretty heavily.

Like, say you go for any sort of gun-based build. You probably have 4 for Gun Nut, 4 for Repair, 4 for Commando, 4 for Gunslinger, 4 for Sniper (which is 8 PER, so throw in another few points for that), and that's 24-ish just for weapon maintenance and damage. That's half our hypothetical perks over the whole game.

So basically, it depends on how quickly you gain levels this time around. Plenty of people modded New Vegas to give a perk every level instead of every two; I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar here.

I mean... you're basically saying "If I want to be the literal best at guns I have to heavily specialize." That doesn't actually sound like a bad thing to me. It depends on how the game is designed but it'd be kinda nice if not having max level in everything was considered a perfectly valid choice.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

ImpAtom posted:

I mean... you're basically saying "If I want to be the literal best at guns I have to heavily specialize." That doesn't actually sound like a bad thing to me.
That depends on whether anything else in the perks menu looks interesting. If you want to just punch everything to death so you can max out "dog sings along with me around the campfire," cool. But usually Fallout uses a lot of guns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

That depends on whether anything else in the perks menu looks interesting. If you want to just punch everything to death so you can max out "dog sings along with me around the campfire," cool. But usually Fallout uses a lot of guns.

I'm still not sure why this is a bad thing. Like if you want to choose to focus on non-combat perks so you're good at talking or crafting or whatever but have a harder time in combat that is only a bad thing if the game doesn't actually offer you valid options to get around your lack of combat skills. Just in theory this sounds more engaging to me than the previous SPECIAL skill method which amounted to "take high INT or else you're intentionally gimping your character for no real reason and once you do you're effectively going to end up the best at most things."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

frajaq posted:

oh hey thats me in every Bethesda game ever, the stealth archer sniper

In the Fallout: New Vegas DLC "Old World Blues", Chris Avellone addressed what he had described as "The 'Jewish Question' of the Roleplaying world"--specifically whether accommodations should continue to exist for tired stealthy-sniper builds--by blessing the world of Big MT with approximately a dozen omnipotent, immortal, invisible "NPCs" that would constantly follow the player around and materialize as various enemies. When the player "killed" the enemy, the invisible NPC would be temporarily unable to respawn and attack the player again. This is why it is virtually impossible to sneak around Big MT for any prolonged period of time, why it seems like opponents literally materialize from areas that were clear a moment earlier, and why you can never actually kill all of Big MT's enemies.

C. Avellone posted:

"If you ask me, these 'stealthy-sniper' builds have no place in a modern RPG like Fallout...it's a duplicitous playstyle that undermines the game's mechanics and the developer's intents. Truthfully, we've spent a huge amount of effort building a compelling world for all kinds of players, and it's frustrating to see that many of them choose to creep around and hide behind rocks and run away when they're discovered. That's why Old World Blues has all of these respawning enemies: It's my way of saying to snipers, 'go away, you're not welcome here.'"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In the Fallout: New Vegas DLC "Old World Blues", Chris Avellone addressed what he had described as "The 'Jewish Question' of the Roleplaying world"--specifically whether accommodations should continue to exist for tired stealthy-sniper builds--by blessing the world of Big MT with approximately a dozen omnipotent, immortal, invisible "NPCs" that would constantly follow the player around and materialize as various enemies. When the player "killed" the enemy, the invisible NPC would be temporarily unable to respawn and attack the player again. This is why it is virtually impossible to sneak around Big MT for any prolonged period of time, why it seems like opponents literally materialize from areas that were clear a moment earlier, and why you can never actually kill all of Big MT's enemies.

"IRISH SNIPERS NEED NOT APPLY"

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm still not sure why this is a bad thing. Like if you want to choose to focus on non-combat perks so you're good at talking or crafting or whatever but have a harder time in combat that is only a bad thing if the game doesn't actually offer you valid options to get around your lack of combat skills. Just in theory this sounds more engaging to me than the previous SPECIAL skill method which amounted to "take high INT or else you're intentionally gimping your character for no real reason and once you do you're effectively going to end up the best at most things."

You mean like every Beth game since Morrowind?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The main issue people are having with the skill system is that the primary way you interact with the world is by killing things. So investing points into gun skill or whatever can be considered a necessary cost as opposed to a specific character choice.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Trapezium Dave posted:

Looking forward to seagulls being the Cliff Racers of New Boston.

Seaghouls?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

The main issue people are having with the skill system is that the primary way you interact with the world is by killing things. So investing points into gun skill or whatever can be considered a necessary cost as opposed to a specific character choice.

There are a lot of ways around that though.

Like just off the top of my head, and of course entirely theoretical:

The game has an in-depth crafting system. If you choose to invest in crafting upgrades instead you have less pure mechanical skills but can balance that with superior weapons that offer passive bonuses. Obviously you can stack the two if you just want to murder guys with absurdly overpowered weapons.
The game has 12 companions and you can focus on a high-Cha built that allows you to buff your allies to do the fighting for you.
Allow players who focus on non-combat skills options they can use to make combat easier. Have your Crafting perk also allow you to jury-rig explosives or whatever.
Actually allow for non-violent (or non direct violence) solutions to quests, as shocking an idea as this is. Allow most if not all major areas to be solved without the player directly fighting.

Back Hack posted:

You mean like every Beth game since Morrowind?

I played Fallout 3 mostly as stealth and talking and had genuinely little trouble getting through the game. New Vegas was way better in that regards and shows that the mechanics can actually support a very low-combat character. FO4 might not match NV but it isn't an absurd impossibility that they can offer other solutions. They probably won't be well written but "[SPEECH CHECK] You shouldn't do that" ain't exactly new for Bethesda Fallout.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man even playing a 1 CHA character in NV the companions always did most of the work for me

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"I am a pacifist!" he said, as his Fuckbot-9000 approached the raiders with eight rotating knife bits extended.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

In NV you get a perk every other kevel, and can increase several skills by a small amount each kevel. In 4 you can choose to put one giant hunk into a skill each level. Assuming you alternate between skill perks and more flavorful options isn't that about the same?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Flaky posted:

:razz:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

:iamafag:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JackBadass posted:

Sorry, I guess they're turtle people. Close enough.

And there's only like two or three dungeons with those in them. Compared to fallout 3 where several more and a DLC were full of them. You can't really poo poo on one game when the one you're trying to imply is superior does the same poo poo worse.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Nuebot posted:

And there's only like two or three dungeons with those in them. Compared to fallout 3 where several more and a DLC were full of them. You can't really poo poo on one game when the one you're trying to imply is superior does the same poo poo worse.

There's several with those in them, plus they're everywhere in the lovely overworld. I can easily poo poo on NV for that.

My god, the stupids sure come out of the woodworks when you bash NV...

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I like new vegas more than Fallout 3 but I always had more fun exploring in fallout 3. In New Vegas I am always reluctant to go inside random dungeons for fear of breaking a quest because the meat of New vegas lies in its storyline and I don't want to miss a thing. In fallout 3 I could care less about quests, I just wanted to explore and there were a lot more "big" locations that weren't associated with any quests at all, or if there were they were small things that you got immediately and solved almost as fast.

Granted I haven't touched 3 since like 2010 so I may be speaking from nostalgia here but whatev.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

JackBadass posted:

There's several with those in them, plus they're everywhere in the lovely overworld. I can easily poo poo on NV for that.

My god, the stupids sure come out of the woodworks when you bash NV...

Mirelurks are in practically every body of water in FO3, too. Calling people stupid for pointing out your hypocrisies is incredibly childish. It's okay to not like a thing but saying it's bad for the exact same reasons another thing isn't bad is ridiculous.

Man Whore posted:

JackBadass doesn't even bait his hook and he still has people bite.
:aaaaa: I am the stupids.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 2, 2015

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
NV creatures sucked period. Blue Supermutants. Browner Supermutants. Less-interesting raiders. Men in suits. Spore-men. Dogs. Dogs with snake heads.

"Hey you know what would save us some time, just add small versions of creatures yea yea if prompted just say realism three times this is gonna be great"

Flaky fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 2, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Flaky posted:

NV creatures sucked period. Blue Supermutants. Browner Supermutants. Less-interesting raiders. Men in suits. Spore-men.

"Hey you know what would save us some time, just add small versions of creatures yea yea if prompted just say its for realism the nerds love that this is gonna be great"

There were also praying mantises and geckos. Didn't you love those?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Fallout 4 can't come out soon enough.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Flaky posted:

NV creatures sucked period. Blue Supermutants. Browner Supermutants. Less-interesting raiders. Men in suits. Spore-men. Dogs. Dogs with snake heads.

"Hey you know what would save us some time, just add small versions of creatures yea yea if prompted just say realism three times this is gonna be great"

Night-stalkers are actually really good.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Delsaber posted:

Fallout 4 can't come out soon enough.
At this point I'll settle for the tiniest tidbit of new info so the thread actually has something to talk about.

I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't look like Bethesda got the GearedUp function (displaying several weapon on your character model) they scrapped for Skyrim working right. That is, if they had I imagine it would have been shown of in a trailer.
It's completely useless, but fun in a pretty-princess-dress-up sort of way. At least it shouldn't be that difficult to mod it in as long as they haven't changed the skeleton system too much.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Man Whore posted:

im just pretending to be a huge retard XD

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah, but try using a gun in Fallout 3 or New Vegas without investing skill points into guns. You'll have a hell of a time hitting anything, and when you do it won't be for much damage. I'd be surprised if FO4's guns work any differently.

Maybe. But how do you balance stuff like Confirmed Bachelor, or Terrifying Presence, or Bloody Mess? Those existed mostly for flavor, and when they cost the same perk point as +25% gun damage or whatever, they become a lot less appealing.

the guns wobbled and didnt fire as fast if you didnt have the reqs but it wasnt that hard to hit anything if u have ever played a FPS in ur life

terrifying presence and bloody mess should be traits, idk about confirmed homo but it seems fine as it is

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dongicus posted:

im just pretending to be a huge retard XD

You spend some of your very limited time on this Earth posting in this thread.

You aren't pretending.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Boogaleeboo posted:

You aren't pretending.

I'm killing myself one post at a time. I watched my family get torn apart in a haze of smilies and empty quotes but it's too late to quit now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what if posting extends your life.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Boogaleeboo posted:

You aren't pretending.

i think you misunderstood

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Did they release some new information about perks that I missed or we just arguing the pros and cons of how we think its going to work?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pwnstar posted:

A cool thing about Skyrim was that it wasn't designed to be played at 60+ FPS so if you do the physics engines freaks out and objects literally start floating away because gravity doesn't work anymore. CHIM.

Wait you mean I've been playing a game at 30 FPS THIS WHOLE TIME?! MOTHERFU--

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Kurtofan posted:

what if posting extends your life.

Posting is life, brother.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

:stare:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
i think CoP was referencing this old quote from Avellone:

Chris Avellone posted:

We didn't set out to make Dead Money a Survival experience - we set out to make a Horror game that put Survival second. In terms of horror, I don't feel we succeeded, although it was a conscious effort to try and shake things up a bit with the enemies you faced to scare the player, definitely. The enemies are not only tough (which is easy to do with numbers, so I don't feel that's a real challenge), but also intended to be unpredictable when they fall, so you couldn't always count on shooting an enemy until they fall as being a guarantee that you're safe. The original hope was that the enemies couldn't simply be headshotted continuously - this is a selfish reason, as I get tired of watching people play like that non-stop (it doesn't feel like they're experimenting with limb-targeting tactics, despite the array of weapons), although the non-headshotting tactical diversion didn't turn out that way (it's just as easy to decapitate a head as a limb with the right blasts).
We've had that discussion just a few pages ago. But the reason everyone went for head-shots was because shooting the head made enemies die faster. And short of a very select few scenarios where shooting the legs could be useful, making enemies die faster was pretty much always a better tactical choice then crippling a limb and giving the enemy a minor debuff.
I hope they fix that for FO4. The destructible/layered armor thing the trailers hinted at might be useful for this if it's not just visual (meaning it's actually takes away DR) and it's locational. So for example the head might have more armour you need to shoot through then an arm, making the latter the better target. Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depending on how precise the hit detection is, they could make armor have significantly higher DT/DR when you actually shoot the armored bit, so helmets even on weak enemies could be very tough if you hit the actual metal bit, thus making headshots harder to do (especially if enemies are more animated and using cover)

Combine that with making limb crippling much easier, and more bare arms on enemies, it'd probably make limb shots more useful. The main issue with it in FO3/NV was that heads weren't any harder to cripple than limbs, and also tended to be more stationary due to how the animations worked.

Some numbers tweaking and some size changes to the vulnerable points would solve most of the problem I think.

• Locked thread