Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I present, the greatest dog sneeze in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZAwXjidHmM

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

McDragon posted:

I saw this in the trending section on Facebook and couldn't imagine why a dog sneezing was getting as much discussion as major world events and celebrity deaths.

Now? Now I know better. I totally am reposting this. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
That's so identical to my cat's "rub my belly!" pose that it's kind of bizarre. And scary how tempting it would be.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

McDragon posted:

my face irl :3:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tendai posted:

That's so identical to my cat's "rub my belly!" pose that it's kind of bizarre. And scary how tempting it would be.

Big cats are basically just house cats that can kill you easily.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I present, the greatest dog sneeze in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZAwXjidHmM

Roux :3:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
In todays edition of adorable Aussie critters we meet the Honey Possum.

Here we see a researcher checking "Honey Possum Hotel" for guests

They feed solely on nectar and pollen, playing a crucial role in pollinating native plants.

Weighing in between 7 to 16 grams, honey possums consume around 7 ml of nectar a day. It's equivalent to 50 litres of soft drink for a human.

Working quickly, researchers swab the marsupial's long nose with glycerine jelly. The pollen samples collected reveal what plants they have been feeding on.

They're given a drink of sugar syrup for their trouble.

Honey possums react differently to being in the spotlight. Some are more perplexed than others.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Birb Katter posted:

They feed solely on nectar and pollen, playing a crucial role in pollinating native plants.

the cutest bee

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

"The gently caress'd you say?"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

My parents used to have a setter/retriever mix (he was pure mutt so there was probably some other stuff in there too) and one time while walking him he nearly pulled me off of my feet when he saw a squirrel, and at the time I was 200-ish pounds. Also, he figured out how to break into the refrigerator, many a leftover where consumed by that mighty beast.

And that dog's name was marmaduke

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

rodbeard posted:

And that dog's name was marmaduke

Please, marmaduke is a pure bred Great Dane, if we'd had one of those he'd have almost ripped my arm off.

BurroughsBane
May 21, 2007

I mean to know before I go how come the devil smiles.
look, with Cecil's death, let's celebrate the African continent. lush, fertile, raw, and beautiful.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This will always be my favorite African animal picture

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Away all Goats posted:

This will always be my favorite African animal picture

I'll admit if I was a super rich bastard with much looser scruples I'd totally own a bunch of Cheetahs, although that route would almost inevitably lead to me becoming a Super Villain(heck considering how easy they are to tame, I'm actually kinda surprised there never was any attempts to domesticate them, seems like it'd be comparatively easy by animal standards, heck you'd think that'd have made them popular in the Circus and Movie circles, but I guess people fixate too much on Lions and Tigers even though they are a lot harder to work with and a lot more dangerous in comparison)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Shouldn't have touched the electric fence.

edit:

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit if I was a super rich bastard with much looser scruples I'd totally own a bunch of Cheetahs, although that route would almost inevitably lead to me becoming a Super Villain(heck considering how easy they are to tame, I'm actually kinda surprised there never was any attempts to domesticate them, seems like it'd be comparatively easy by animal standards, heck you'd think that'd have made them popular in the Circus and Movie circles, but I guess people fixate too much on Lions and Tigers even though they are a lot harder to work with and a lot more dangerous in comparison)

This did in fact happen. Akbar the Great tamed and hunted with (Asiatic) cheetahs. Turns out they don't breed in captivity well at all, though. I dunno if that is solved in Zoos these days but certainly wasn't back then.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 07:57 on Aug 2, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC they washed the cow and then used a blow dryer on it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NLJP posted:

Shouldn't have touched the electric fence.

edit:

This did in fact happen. Akbar the Great tamed and hunted with (Asiatic) cheetahs. Turns out they don't breed in captivity well at all, though. I dunno if that is solved in Zoos these days but certainly wasn't back then.

too bad, cause can you imagine fully domesticated Cheetahs, it'd be amazing

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

drrockso20 posted:

I get enough scratches on my face and neck from not waking up early enough on the weekends for feline breakfast. I can't imagine that with a cheetah.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spoeank posted:

I get enough scratches on my face and neck from not waking up early enough on the weekends for feline breakfast. I can't imagine that with a cheetah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH_d8ymHwxo

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Not African, but still wild animals.

http://i.imgur.com/0BkxPDt.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/JngQfbP.gifv

Source

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NLJP posted:

Cheetahs are still tricky but we're better at them nowadays. It turns out that them not breeding in captivity was anxiety and removal from their normal social structure. The Cheetah-Dog pairings that they do in zoos these days, where every Cheetah cub gets a companion puppy that'll stay with it for life, helps a lot, since they trust the dog like it was another Cheetah and the dog's confidence in the conditions reassures them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndlf5_L5gsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZzFwu5dLY

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Aug 2, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

"MREEEEOOOOWR" Cheetah sitting by the door.

You open the door.

Cheetah just sits there staring at you and swishing his tail.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why are cheetahs so chill? Like anything that runs that fast should be high strung or something.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

davidspackage posted:

"MREEEEOOOOWR" Cheetah sitting by the door.

You open the door.

Cheetah just sits there staring at you and swishing his tail.

They don't really meow so much as they squeak and chirp :3:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would be perfectly okay with a dog sized, chirping cheetah companion :kimchi: Can't be any worse than my current bundle of rear end in a top hat cats.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I could really use some uplifting today thread, my gran passed away this week after a very very long fight. She was an amazing woman and a huge role model in my life and I've always tried to be more like her. She loved her garden and her cats so could I please request some kitties in flowers, her favourites were poppies.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Cheetahs are still tricky but we're better at them nowadays. It turns out that them not breeding in captivity was anxiety and removal from their normal social structure. The Cheetah-Dog pairings that they do in zoos these days, where every Cheetah cub gets a companion puppy that'll stay with it for life, helps a lot, since they trust the dog like it was another Cheetah and the dog's confidence in the conditions reassures them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndlf5_L5gsE

My wife and I got lucky enough to meet these two by pure accident when Busch Gardens was still working on getting their Cheetah exhibit set up. The handlers decided the pair needed some fresh air and we were walking by as they brought them out. We were the only visitors around so we got to monopolize the handlers. The Cheetah was like six months old and could already run 30 mph if I'm remembering what the handler said correctly. However fast he could run he was a little tornado in the grassy area they had them in. Ever seen a cat just freak out and start tear-assing around? Imagine that happening at 30 mph. I wish they would have let us get video. The retriever just sat there and watched this cat have a little freakout, walked over and put his paw on him as if to say "It's okay bud, grass gets to me too sometimes. Wanna go roll in something stinky?". Apparently Cheetahs live in bachelor groups in the wild until one gets lucky which is part of the reason they pair them with dogs, the handler said they like to use retrievers as they apparently have really similar lifespans.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

YggiDee posted:

Why are cheetahs so chill? Like anything that runs that fast should be high strung or something.

Greyhounds are similarly chill, except for those brief moments where GOTTA GO FAST.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

drrockso20 posted:

Actually Cheetahs are descended from ancient domesticated stock, which is why they are chill with people. The downside is that the Cheetah genepool is terribly inbred and a real problem to the ultimate survival of the species :(

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

CherryCat posted:

I could really use some uplifting today thread, my gran passed away this week after a very very long fight. She was an amazing woman and a huge role model in my life and I've always tried to be more like her. She loved her garden and her cats so could I please request some kitties in flowers, her favourites were poppies.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I know fennec foxes are essentially cheating but I can't help myself:

http://i.imgur.com/yOOo3nf.webm

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If that fox isn't named Radar I will be slightly cross.
Those ears :3:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If that fox isn't named Radar I will be slightly cross.
Those ears :3:

The page title says Scout, sorry.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

CherryCat posted:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

where every Cheetah cub gets a companion puppy that'll stay with it for life,

This is the cutest thing I've read all day. :3:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Someone put a webcam at a waterfall where bears hunt salmon:
http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Some goofy rear end dinosaurs right here.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Actually Cheetahs are descended from ancient domesticated stock, which is why they are chill with people. The downside is that the Cheetah genepool is terribly inbred and a real problem to the ultimate survival of the species :(

Huh, never heard about that. Plenty tamed over the centuries but no domestication as far as I'm aware. Where'd you find this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

dupersaurus posted:

Greyhounds are similarly chill, except for those brief moments where GOTTA GO FAST.

Some friends of the family live on a farm and rescue greyhounds. Can confirm that they are super chill and relaxed 99% of the time, but when they get outside and wanna goof off, holy poo poo do they tear it up.

My dorky little terrier would try to chase, but after about two seconds he couldn't even see the greyhounds anymore, so he'd get embarrassed and come back to us.

• Locked thread