Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Butt Wizard posted:

Do you guys seriously think Clare Curran just 'forgot to reference' sections of the Labour Future of Work copy? Reminder: It's Clare Curran.

No one believes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I don't believe it was Clare Curran who "forgot" to reference

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
lmao some schoolgirl is saying John Key should apologise because he said people would get bored of more than a week of Maori Language Week. Has she loving seen how boring NZ Music Month is?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

puchu posted:

lmao some schoolgirl is saying John Key should apologise because he said people would get bored of more than a week of Maori Language Week. Has she loving seen how boring NZ Music Month is?

That's because NZ music is 99% uninspired "Oh god i need to break into the US market" trash these days MATE

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kia kaha, mate.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

That's because NZ music is 99% uninspired "Oh god i need to break into the US market" trash these days MATE

Bring back Dei Hamo in this poster's opinion

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

You mean 99% of the 10% of music being created in NZ that is vying for commercial play in the US?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Whatever happened to Scribe, anyway?

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
He stood up. RIP

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's actually some cool stuff that is recognised and appreciated by overseas people, like our weirdo noise scene or our metal scene for example, but basically none of that stuff gets any interest from whoever is in charge of NZ music month, and so people in NZ don't really know about it.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Looks like SOMEONE'S forgotten their roots :colbert:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/70760473/Police-shoot-kill-armed-man-in-Auckland-park

quote:

Police were called to the park at 7.23pm and on arrival the man told officers he was armed. Armed officers were called and attempts to negotiate with the man were unsuccesful. The man was fatally shot after indicating he was about to use a firearm.

Note the wording, NZ police likely just killed an unarmed man in central Auckland.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

Police have launched a homicide investigation after a man known to the police was shot dead by an officer on Sunday night. The man's body remained at the park which was closed to the public until a scene examination took place on Monday.
Moari.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

NZAmoeba posted:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/70760473/Police-shoot-kill-armed-man-in-Auckland-park

Note the wording, NZ police likely just killed an unarmed man in central Auckland.

Cool, we're getting to the "murdering minorities" part of the Americanization faster than expected.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cool, we're getting to the "murdering minorities" part of the Americanization faster than expected.

Just updated who it was. A 21 yrold Slovakian with prior for robbery.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
loving Slovaks ruining New Zealand! We need to build a wall!

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

My girlfriend (who spent 10 years in England and considers herself mostly English) said that she didn't think that the Maori culture should be "forced" on anyone, or that money should be spent on it. This is about a day after we had a discussion about the British Royalty, who she thinks should be kept because of "heritage" and "tradition". She doesn't quite see the irony there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of actual New Zealanders who share similar views because it's not *their* culture.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Binkenstein posted:

My girlfriend (who spent 10 years in England and considers herself mostly English) said that she didn't think that the Maori culture should be "forced" on anyone, or that money should be spent on it. This is about a day after we had a discussion about the British Royalty, who she thinks should be kept because of "heritage" and "tradition". She doesn't quite see the irony there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of actual New Zealanders who share similar views because it's not *their* culture.

How many BNP-lite spinoff group pages does she like on Facebook?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Binkenstein posted:

sever

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
have some compassion, it must be hard to live with the mind of 13 year old forever

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Binkenstein posted:

wehewehe

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Binkenstein posted:

My position is if you're a New Zealander than it is your culture.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Yep. Should be as simple as that, really.

This is bizarre. The article about John Key upsetting the school girl ends with a spiel about dog laws...

John Key rejects claims he labelled the idea of a Maori language month 'boring'
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11491113

quote:

John Key rejects claims he labelled the idea of a Maori language month 'boring'

Meanwhile, Mr Key said he wasn't convinced more laws were the best way to tackle aggressive dog breeds.
Goes on for a few more lines.

What.

truther fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
She's (mostly) British and their culture is one of oppressing and ignoring other people's culture, don't culture shame.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's baffling that the idea of someone else expressing their culture is FORCING THEIR CULTURE ON US. It's a strange form of insecurity I don't completely understand.

There was an article I read a few months ago, not sure how to look for it now, but it was on the topic of immigrant culture. A Chinese person living in NZ will know that there will always be a China where Chinese culture is practised, same for most other migrants. But for Maori, the only place their culture can exist is in NZ. If it ceases to be expressed here, it goes extinct everywhere. This is why NZ is still technically a bi-cultrual society, and why Maori culture has special significance.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

their culture is one of oppressing and ignoring other people's culture

That doesn't exactly narrow it down, lad. Like, at all.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

That doesn't exactly narrow it down, lad. Like, at all.

They did it with funny hats, and tea.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

They did it with funny hats, and tea.

Before or after the 14th century? Because if it's before, that's basically the entire Asian plateau.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NZAmoeba posted:

It's baffling that the idea of someone else expressing their culture is FORCING THEIR CULTURE ON US. It's a strange form of insecurity I don't completely understand.

It's called racism :ssh:

To expand: They are a different colour to me and therefore their culture is strange and bad and icky. No oval office ever sees an Italian restaurant or a Dutch cheese shop opening and cries about culture. It's just straight racism.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 3, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:yeah:

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

But for Maori, the only place their culture can exist is in NZ. If it ceases to be expressed here, it goes extinct everywhere. This is why NZ is still technically a bi-cultrual society, and why Maori culture has special significance.

Maori peeps have been exporting themselves since ages ago

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Slavvy posted:

It's called racism :ssh:

To expand: They are a different colour to me and therefore their culture is strange and bad and icky. No oval office ever sees an Italian restaurant or a Dutch cheese shop opening and cries about culture. It's just straight racism.

I think you'll find racism against the Dutch was alive and well in NZ when large numbers of them were emigrating here after world war two.

Of course, the second generation of Dutch didn't face the same discrimination as they spoke English in a Kiwi accent* and couldn't be separated by the colour of their skin.

*talking about tomorrow night

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just on the general appreciative note,

I don't know many Maori words or that many concepts off hand but there are a bunch I really dig and occasionally bring out

TAIHOA! to basically mean SLOW DOWN - with the idea someone is being rash and moving too quickly for their boots -I find particularly stirring.

I have remarked upon seeing a woman doing an impressive feat that she is a Wahine Toa and I find this phrase both sexy and strong and is fitting for a strong woman and I received a positive response from this

The concept of mana also really embodies a particular kind of respect that isn't quite the same as 'respect' and I like it

I also occasionally, when I am hungry, think "I need to feel my puku" and rubbing my belly conjures this word to my conciousness

Enjoy the maori language everyone, in whatever goon way possible :>

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Jacobin posted:

Just on the general appreciative note,

I don't know many Maori words or that many concepts off hand but there are a bunch I really dig and occasionally bring out

TAIHOA! to basically mean SLOW DOWN - with the idea someone is being rash and moving too quickly for their boots -I find particularly stirring.

I have remarked upon seeing a Woman doing an impressive feat that she is a Wahine Toa and I find this phrase both sexy and strong and is fitting for a strong woman and I received a positive response from this

The concept of mana also really embodies a particular kind of respect that isn't quite the same as 'respect' and I like it

I also occasionally, when I am hungry, think "I need to feel my puku" and rubbing my belly conjures this word to my conciousness

Enjoy the maori language everyone, in whatever goon way possible :>

are you drunk mate

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

A human heart posted:

are you drunk mate

Just a bit.

Seriously though, New Zealands biculturalism is quite great, when its allowed to be.

E: by this I mean, I love hearing Maori words and phrases casually sprinkled in/absorbed by people who just frankly aren't culturally Maori at all, and having it generally accepted and rolled with. Then there are of course people who try and shoot it down and RARRRr etc. etc. but not in my circles :)

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 3, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ledge posted:

I think you'll find racism against the Dutch was alive and well in NZ when large numbers of them were emigrating here after world war two.

Of course, the second generation of Dutch didn't face the same discrimination as they spoke English in a Kiwi accent* and couldn't be separated by the colour of their skin.

*talking about tomorrow night

How can you be racist against white people? Like, I realise all dutchmen are raving lunatics at best and gigantic cunts at worst (south africans are like a diluted version) but they're white at the end of the day. I'd call it nationalism/xenophobia more than racism.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

How can you be racist against white people?

Haha is this real?

Heard of this place called Europe? There's is and was a lot of racism against "white" people there.

Pro tip: the Irish weren't "White" until very recently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well yeah but it's predicated on knowing where they're from, whereas non-whites are visually obvious.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

Well yeah but it's predicated on knowing where they're from, whereas non-whites are visually obvious.

Oh really?

The English had racism down to a fine art my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok, I'll concede that at some point some people were racist against white people. But I don't believe that's an issue in NZ today that even approaches the scale and breadth of racism against non-whites, which was my original point in saying that people crywanking about culture being forced on them are just raging racists.

• Locked thread