Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Last night I was approaching a cloverleaf on the highway, and getting ready to take the exit. At the same time, an F250 was coming out of the on ramp. I had my cruise control set to 60, which he decided to match until the last second when he slammed on his brakes and swerved behind me, across two lanes, and then floored it again. As he sped off, I saw him hit a bump that unloaded his suspension and almost spun him out. I missed my exit and went up the road a bit to make a U turn, laughing.

Cloverleafs are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

go3 posted:

loving with those people really is the best

Don't gently caress with people on the road. You're the people we share a road with.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I stopped at a stop sign with my right turn signal on, and, as I was checking my mirror to see if a bike was coming down the bike lane right next to me, I see a car coming down the lane. You see, there is a bike lane, and a curbside parking lane. So, that means that you should just make your own right turn lane.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PCOS Bill posted:

Don't gently caress with people on the road. You're the people we share a road with.

every moment of rage filled inconvenience people like that experience is a gift to the world

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I want to change lanes in moderate traffic and I use my signal, many people see that flashing and instead of thinking 'oh he wants over, I'll leave the space' they think 'oh he wants over, I need to speed up and take that space.' When I want to do this I put on my signal then ride the far right side of my lane, I'm talkin tires on paint. For normal people I see that they are leaving me the space and I finish the change, for the assholes I like to just hold it there or sometimes inch a bit further. I drive a busted suburban.

Watching the ones that flip out and drop back quick makes my day. I am that person you share the road with.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Watching the ones that flip out and drop back quick makes my day. I am that person you share the road with,

No you're not. You've learned that it's possible to use the signal before turning the wheel. I don't think that invention has made it here yet :sigh:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

go3 posted:

stop for nothing, let insurance figure it all out

Ughhhhh I want to. This happens at least 3 times a week. The crazy landscaping on the corner doesn't help with sight lines, but I doubt these people are even looking my way anyway

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=oYDtcnim_bE&t=0m59s

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

NoWake posted:

Ughhhhh I want to. This happens at least 3 times a week. The crazy landscaping on the corner doesn't help with sight lines, but I doubt these people are even looking my way anyway

I love it when people just don't turn their heads.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

NoWake posted:

Stop means stop.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Being a driver on a provisional licence in your late 20's in Australia can lead to some interesting situations. Two incidents on yesterdays drive home stood out. The first was a learner driver that went down the entrance ramp at 30 kmh below the speed limit. What made it bad is that the entrance is the start of a large hill so they provide an extra lane which is for trucks to use so that they can crawl up the hill. I'd gotten up to the speed limit and pulled across into the middle lane only for the learner to pull across into the middle lane in front of me still going well below the speed limit. If there was a space for me to get around them I would've but they continued to go 10 below the speed limit until they pulled off later on.

The second one was a case of an over aggressive driver. Quite a bit of the road I travel on every day has shops and on street parking combined with a major highway. While the speed limit is lower through these sections it's generally a better idea to hang out in the right hand passing lane to avoid getting caught up with people who do dumb poo poo while parking. Normally I pull back into the left lane when theres a space cause going traffic speed with a nice red target hanging from your car is never a good idea. There was no where to go so I continued in the same lane. Everything was going well until a car appeared behind me super close to my bumper. I think they flashed their lights at me but they where so far up my arse I only saw the lights going out. If there'd been a safe space I would have moved over straight away but I was super close to the car infront and it was the same in the other lane. I got a gap and moved over only for the person behind me to roar past and then slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car I'd been following. They continued to duck and weave until they where out of sight. What shits me the most is that if I'd been caught doing more than the speed limit to appease them I would have lost my licence for 3 months automatically yet they are allowed to continue to drive unsafely with no ramifications.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

go3 posted:

loving with those people really is the best
I used to think like this, but then I remembered I drive to relax and even if I arbitrarily "win" a confrontation with some arsehole It's not worth the risk, the blood pressure or the ruined journeys. I drive a new-plate Focus ST, a car that attracts a steady stream of idiots who all want to go for dangerous overtakes to increase their car-peen, and I could spend my life speeding up and cutting them off but then I'd either get to my destination all riled up or wake up upside down in a ditch after some moron in a fartcanned Seat slams into the side of me.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
My brother encountered a person who drives around in an Alfa Romeo that apparently does not like it when people go the speed limit. He has been known to try and shove people off the road or squeeze past them on non-passing roads. No one wants to hurt his fancy car so they let him pass.

However, he encounters my brother last night who does not give a poo poo. He rides a motorcycle and loves it to death. This rear end in a top hat decides that my brother going the speed limit on a two lane road was too slow, so he started to drive onto the small shoulder and try and my force my brother into oncoming traffic's lane.

Despite my brother's warnings, having all his lights on, shouting, etc, the rear end in a top hat continued to try and push him over. My brother then launched a kick into the driver's side door.

Cops decided that no one gets a ticket for some reason but I think Mr Alfa Romeo might be careful the next time he tries to be a dick to people:

http://i.imgur.com/04iCdaR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DrOPOV9.jpg

What's the chance that my brother will get sued? Or would a lawyer say that the driver has no chance because of his rear end in a top hat antics? I'm going to convince my brother to start putting a camera on his bike for stuff like this.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
The Alfa Romeo driver will probably flat-out deny he did anything wrong, so lawyers he'll talk to might tell him that he has a good chance of winning.

It'll probably get thrown out in court on account of it being a he said she said thing.
Alfa driver will deny the attempted vehicular murder one on your brother. Your brother should deny having seen, let alone kicked that car.

P.s. IANAL

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Wouldn't the simple fact that the kick is on the side of the car, on a two lane road, imply that something hosed up was going on? Though I suppose it would be hard to prove that it happened in motion.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So, people I've shared the road with lately.

This guy was eagerly waiting for an opportunity to chance it.

Why? Why would anyone do this when there is a light controlled crossing right loving next to him. Its a pretty simple process.

1. Pres butan
2. Lite go red, tarffic stop
3. Cross road
4. Yay

Speaking of crossing the road...
http://gfycat.com/LankyOldfashionedIndochinahogdeer

Its a really good idea to look both ways before you step into the road, especially if its at a junction. Luckily I'd noticed she hadn't looked in my direction and had slowed the gently caress down.

Then there was this guy, who:

Flies through an intersection in a left turn lane but cuts in front of everyone else and goes straight on. There are arrows out of frame that clearly point out which lane is which.

Was able to maintain 30mph in a 30 zone, but not without repeatedly drifting over the line.

Cruised at 38-40mph in a 60 zone, despite the road being wide, clear, and with excellent weather and visibility.

Despite cruising at 40mph in a 60 the whole time, upon entering a 40 zone speeds up to about 50mph. Needless to say I caught up with him once the limit changed to 60 again.

The cherry on top of the whole thing? In the bottom right corner of his rear window (sadly it can't be made out on the dashcam), he had a little sticker that read the following:

quote:

IM A BLOOD DONOR
Drive carefully, because you might need me in the future!

I'm driving carefully alright, but not for the reasons he may think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Last night, I saw a bro-truck tailgating a little piece of poo poo Corolla that was doing 30 under the limit (I'm not saying tailgating is right, I wasn't doing it, I wouldn't have done it... but I understand). Then, as soon as he can pass, the bro-truck moves to pass and the Corolla goes to change lanes as the truck is beside her, without checking her blind spot, and a collision is avoided by the bro-truck slamming on the brakes.and moving a little bit onto the shoulder.

At the next intersection, there's a breakdown in the left through lane, so the bro-truck stops on the divider between the turn lanes and the through lanes and helps push it out of traffic. He gets back in his truck, and the guy behind him lets him pull off the divider once the light turns green.

Apart from the tailgating, bro-truck guy was good, and so was everyone else except for the oblivious moron in the Corolla. It made a nice change, seeing people do mostly the right thing for once.

EDIT: On another note, I will never understand why people will do the precise speed limit on the highway, where ultimately it's usually quite safe to go 10-20 km/h over with the speed of traffic on any given day, yet will happily do 10 km/h over the limit once I follow them into the residential area. You're speeding in the wrong places, people! Maybe this is why we've had three pedestrian hit-and-runs in three night here...

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 1, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PT6A posted:

EDIT: On another note, I will never understand why people will do the precise speed limit on the highway, where ultimately it's usually quite safe to go 10-20 km/h over with the speed of traffic on any given day, yet will happily do 10 km/h over the limit once I follow them into the residential area. You're speeding in the wrong places, people! Maybe this is why we've had three pedestrian hit-and-runs in three night here...

I do the limit and stick right because people are terrible at maintaining a constant speed. Someone will fly by me and then I catch up to them about 15 min later going slower than I was to start with. If I drive in the left lanes I usually end up having to weave around people doing random speeds so I find it easier to just go slower in the right lane and not get irritated by having to constantly maneuver around the other drivers.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy.eyes posted:

I do the limit and stick right because people are terrible at maintaining a constant speed. Someone will fly by me and then I catch up to them about 15 min later going slower than I was to start with. If I drive in the left lanes I usually end up having to weave around people doing random speeds so I find it easier to just go slower in the right lane and not get irritated by having to constantly maneuver around the other drivers.

I don't really have a problem with people doing the limit, I'm just especially curious why they do the limit on the highway, where it's comparatively safe to speed, then speed in the residential areas where it's not at all safe to speed.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicro posted:

Flies through an intersection in a left turn lane but cuts in front of everyone else and goes straight on. There are arrows out of frame that clearly point out which lane is which.

I had a guy just like this last night. I was on my bike, second vehicle in line, three cars in the left turn lane. Light goes green, he shoots out in front of the car ahead of me, who was also taking off pretty hard.... then stands on his brake and does 20 in a 35 the next mile and a half staring off to the side of the road at every intersection like he was lost and trying to get his bearings.

gently caress.

OFF.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I pulled up behind a red Yaris at a red light. They had their right turn signal on. Cross traffic had their green left turn arrows going. There was plenty of time for them and me to both make a right turn on red, but they didn't budge. Then, cross traffic got a green light for the through traffic. As the cross traffic started entering the intersection, that's when the Yaris decided to make their turn. Slowly. Across three lanes of traffic into the far left lane.

I saw them about a quarter mile later cutting across all three lanes into the right lane make a right turn into the grocery store.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ludicro posted:

Speaking of crossing the road...
http://gfycat.com/LankyOldfashionedIndochinahogdeer

Its a really good idea to look both ways before you step into the road, especially if its at a junction. Luckily I'd noticed she hadn't looked in my direction and had slowed the gently caress down.

Are you sure the pedestrian doesn't have priority? That's how it works in the Netherlands, although these kind of rules often differ per jurisdiction. She should've looked either way.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

John Dough posted:

Are you sure the pedestrian doesn't have priority? That's how it works in the Netherlands, although these kind of rules often differ per jurisdiction. She should've looked either way.

In this situation its a bit murkier. A pedestrian who is already crossing the road at a junction has right over way over any cars who want to turn into that road, and the cars must wait until it is clear to proceed. However a pedestrian is also required to stop at the kerb, look and listen around to ensure it is safe to cross, and then only cross when it is safe to do so. In this instance I had already started to turn into the road when she stepped out, and she failed to stop at the kerb or look around to assess if it was safe. As it happens I had noticed she hadn't looked in my directions and slowed down because pedestrians at this particular junction do this poo poo all the time, and then waved her across when I stopped.

Had I not slowed down and instead hit her, based off the video evidence I would probably be charged with careless driving, as I would have failed to recognise a potential hazard (the idiot pedestrian) and had not adapted my driving to suit the conditions of the road. However right of way is not the be all end all of how the laws work; if you have right of way in a given situation and are in a position to take action to avoid an incident, but fail to do so, you can still be held liable and charged.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ludicro posted:

In this situation its a bit murkier. A pedestrian who is already crossing the road at a junction has right over way over any cars who want to turn into that road, and the cars must wait until it is clear to proceed. However a pedestrian is also required to stop at the kerb, look and listen around to ensure it is safe to cross, and then only cross when it is safe to do so. In this instance I had already started to turn into the road when she stepped out, and she failed to stop at the kerb or look around to assess if it was safe. As it happens I had noticed she hadn't looked in my directions and slowed down because pedestrians at this particular junction do this poo poo all the time, and then waved her across when I stopped.

Had I not slowed down and instead hit her, based off the video evidence I would probably be charged with careless driving, as I would have failed to recognise a potential hazard (the idiot pedestrian) and had not adapted my driving to suit the conditions of the road. However right of way is not the be all end all of how the laws work; if you have right of way in a given situation and are in a position to take action to avoid an incident, but fail to do so, you can still be held liable and charged.

Given the left turn, I think you were actually in the wrong.
In the US, I know that if you'd hit her there unless there was a no peds crossing, you'd be 100% at fault. At an uncontrolled intersection with no crosswalks, every curb to curb is a crosswalk.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

nm posted:

Given the left turn, I think you were actually in the wrong.
In the US, I know that if you'd hit her there unless there was a no peds crossing, you'd be 100% at fault. At an uncontrolled intersection with no crosswalks, every curb to curb is a crosswalk.

There is no such provision in the UK, the only time a pedestrian has right of way is if it is a proper pedestrian crossing or as mentioned earlier a junction they are already in the middle of crossing the road. Even when using a proper crossing you still have to wait for cars to stop before you step out into the road, and you have to give vehicles adequate time to slow down. So this for example:

Even though the woman technically has right of way, she didn't stop at the side to assess it was safe, or to give approaching traffic time to slow down, and acted in a manner that give the driver of the Golf very little time to react. Mercifully the woman only suffered a few scrapes and bruises, and unsurprisingly the driver was not charged with anything.

In any case, not looking before stepping into the road is still dumb as poo poo regardless of what local regulations say. The laws of physics don't give a toss about right of way.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ludicro posted:

There is no such provision in the UK, the only time a pedestrian has right of way is if it is a proper pedestrian crossing or as mentioned earlier a junction they are already in the middle of crossing the road. Even when using a proper crossing you still have to wait for cars to stop before you step out into the road, and you have to give vehicles adequate time to slow down. So this for example:

Even though the woman technically has right of way, she didn't stop at the side to assess it was safe, or to give approaching traffic time to slow down, and acted in a manner that give the driver of the Golf very little time to react. Mercifully the woman only suffered a few scrapes and bruises, and unsurprisingly the driver was not charged with anything.

In any case, not looking before stepping into the road is still dumb as poo poo regardless of what local regulations say. The laws of physics don't give a toss about right of way.

I am surprised the driver didn't get charged with driving without due care and attention. She approached a zebra crossing with one side obscured by traffic and made no attempt to slow down as she was approaching a dangerous situation.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ludicro posted:

I could watch that gif all day, love it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I am surprised the driver didn't get charged with driving without due care and attention. She approached a zebra crossing with one side obscured by traffic and made no attempt to slow down as she was approaching a dangerous situation.

I'm glad the driver wasn't charged, and wish the pedestrian was.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mooseykins posted:

I could watch that gif all day, love it.

Watch the streaming video.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/Crossing

I guarantee you will see stupidity within 60secs of watching.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

spog posted:

Confirmed.

Whats a crosswalk?
Why should i keep walking? This car is happy to wait!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If I had to drive through there my blood pressure would spike every time some retards tried to replicate the Beatles album cover, which must happen every 5 minutes.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

spog posted:

Just turned it on and within 10 seconds get to see a group hold up an ambulance (no lights or siren) for a photo session.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think I broke it

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

spog posted:

I loving hate that crossing. The place where unfunny tourists hold up traffic to badly re-enact a mediocre cover picture for an album they've probably never listened to.

I would love to go there one night and tarmac over that crossing.

Luckily almost every time i go down that way (It's about 3 miles from home) i take that fork off to the upper-left of the screen. (Grove End Road.)

I watched it for about a minute and it made me angry.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 2, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think a drunk driver wiping out a bunch of idiot tourists standing on that crosswalk without moving would be pretty much the perfect example of two wrongs making a right.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If I had to drive through there my blood pressure would spike every time some retards tried to replicate the Beatles album cover, which must happen every 5 minutes.

Happened every 5 seconds

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

:stare: More like within 5 seconds. Holy crap, I brought it up and 1 person was frozen in the middle of the road, but about 5' off the crosswalk, cars driving by on both sides. Seconds later a pair of girls enter the crosswalk, but half way across, freeze mid-stride for about 15 seconds while cars pile up and start honking. In the mean time, entire groups of people on the sidewalk are dancing and waving at the camera. What the bloody hell?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ludicro posted:

Then there was this guy, who:

There's been some road works around by my work and they've tweaked the lanes on a roundabout so the make more sense now. And even though they've been changed for 3 months or more I still have some dickhead going straight over in the left hand lane despite it being marked left turn only. Being lovely drivers though I can sprint in front on my bike and tell them to pay attention. They love that.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

spog posted:

Heh, within half a minute I saw one idiot photographer standing in the middle of the lane with his back to traffic almost get splattered by a speeding white van, and some lady inexplicably run into the middle of the crosswalk and sit down, eliciting a chorus of angry honking from all the cars she was blocking. :downs:

Also, all the cabbies and Mercedes and Audi drivers who give no fucks and just push their way through the people crossing and/or posing. :v:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Foxtrot_13 posted:

To be fair, the driver was already going slow, and the pedestrian behaved in a way that defies all logic. Ultimately no one expects a pedestrian to sprint into the road, and when faced with an oncoming vehicle, run in front of it. To prosecute would send entirely the wrong message, the situation was caused by the reckless stupidity of the pedestrian.

Why are you lying in the road you utter utter oval office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
That's what that crossing is like all day, every day.

The only time i have ever enjoying going over it was when my van was in regen and was dumping thick white noxious smoke. While waiting for the idiots to take their pictures i high-idled it and they got the point.

If you ever watch that and see a dark red van VW van with an angry driver calling pedestrians cunts, it's quite possibly me.