Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I am ready to throw money at this. Say the word, and money will appear. The elf picture cemented my remaining concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I definitely have to say, the overlords playbook is the cherry on top of the pudding. It's really quite evocotive and gives the gm a solid framework in which to act.

Admittedly, as much as I want to get in on the playtest again, I've not got a group with which to run it. Even so, I'm really excited to see the final product!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gnome7 posted:

I have Ryuutama but I never actually read through it yet, so no, it wasn't really. It was as much based on things like Cucumber Quest where the Nightmare Knight is as important a main character as anyone else in the cast, and I thought it'd be fun to give the GM someone specific to play as while they do their thing. It was a full year ago when I started writing Fellowship so I can't even say I remember exactly what the inspiration was anymore, but there's a lot of stories out there these days where the big villain at the end of the quest has more personality than half the cast and spends a lot of time doing things themselves. Nox from Wakfu, the Nightmare Knight, Zuko from the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The Overlord is a really big part of what makes Fellowship different, and it went through a lot of different versions, but I think I've finally got it somewhere where it can function meaningfully and in an interesting fashion. It's current incarnation is basically taking Dungeon World's GM moves to their logical extreme.

Gotcha. I think you've struck gold with the Overlord idea: it gives the GM a really good point of reference from which to make GM moves, and also gives the GM a character of their own to play with. I personally love GM'ing, but by far my favorite part of the job is coming up with colorful NPCs whom I can roleplay for a while (before throwing them at the mercy of my PCs), so the Overlord mechanic definitely feels like a good fit for my GM'ing style.

Also, I need to check out this Cucumber Quest, seeing as it's been a major inspiration for you. I've no idea what it is, but just the name sounds great.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Cucumber Quest is a fantastic webcomic by the extremely talented Gigi D.G. about the most stereotypical JRPG plot in the world being derailed because the newest legendary hero's sister is better at the job than he is.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

gnome7 posted:

Cucumber Quest is a fantastic webcomic by the extremely talented Gigi D.G. about the most stereotypical JRPG plot in the world being derailed because the newest legendary hero's sister is better at the job than he is.

Also Gigi D.G. is some kind of eldritch god of color palettes.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

gnome7 posted:

Agreed, it's a great comic. Plus, it's a nice twist on the usual destined child saves the world story.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gnome7 posted:

I have Ryuutama but I never actually read through it yet, so no, it wasn't really. It was as much based on things like Cucumber Quest where the Nightmare Knight is as important a main character as anyone else in the cast, and I thought it'd be fun to give the GM someone specific to play as while they do their thing. It was a full year ago when I started writing Fellowship so I can't even say I remember exactly what the inspiration was anymore, but there's a lot of stories out there these days where the big villain at the end of the quest has more personality than half the cast and spends a lot of time doing things themselves. Nox from Wakfu, the Nightmare Knight, Zuko from the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The Overlord is a really big part of what makes Fellowship different, and it went through a lot of different versions, but I think I've finally got it somewhere where it can function meaningfully and in an interesting fashion. It's current incarnation is basically taking Dungeon World's GM moves to their logical extreme.

I also thought you got it from Ryutama. It does make sense that it's the logical conclusion of having GM Moves, but, from Andy Kitkowski and other dev blogs on Japanese games, I heard it was not too uncommon to have GM as a PC in Japanese TRPGs. So, since you are very much into the indie scene, I thought you got it from one of those. Still, it's a really cool idea and the previews have me hyped for it.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So I've been trying to make a playbook based around the idea of bringing dream/nightmares and dream/nightmares logic into reality at the cost of disconnection with the real world around you. The problem is that I loved Gnome7's Swordmage playbook so much I keep trying to think of ways to use moves dicelessly. Which lowers the risk from actually using them. So far I've only managed to put together a move about going deeper into the dream and loosing your connection.

quote:

Layers of the dreamWhen you take a moment to centre yourself and sink deeper or rise higher in the dream. Select a new level of Depth from the list below. You may only preform dreams and nightmares of that level. You take negative modifiers equal to your depth to any role to observe or navigate the dangers of the real world.

0- Entirely awake, no dreams or nightmares can be used. You can only perceive the real world and its mundane dullness.

1- Day dreaming. You can see the flickering of others dreams but not enough to affect or take anything from them. The dream world is overlaid in a hazy double vision.

2- Sleep walking. You can see others surface dreams, and can affect and draw from them. You struggle to tell the difference between the real world and the dream world as they melt together.

3- Comatose. You can see the deep dreams of everyone around you, and they bleed into the real world. You cannot perceive the difference between the real world and the dream world at all

4- The Dreaming. You pull the dream world into the real world, everyone can see it and is affected over a massive area. Dream logic and physics takes over. You can only perceive the dream world in all its chaotic maddening glory, but then again, so can everyone else!

I'm currently playing around with the idea of your depth giving you a boost to your damage when using dreams to attack people. So depth 3 would give +3 damage (damage dice d4/6). But I'm now wondering if I'm embarking on a fools errand by trying to make something potentially very complex simple.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Arashiofordo3 posted:

So I've been trying to make a playbook based around the idea of bringing dream/nightmares and dream/nightmares logic into reality at the cost of disconnection with the real world around you. The problem is that I loved Gnome7's Swordmage playbook so much I keep trying to think of ways to use moves dicelessly. Which lowers the risk from actually using them. So far I've only managed to put together a move about going deeper into the dream and loosing your connection.

I'm currently playing around with the idea of your depth giving you a boost to your damage when using dreams to attack people. So depth 3 would give +3 damage (damage dice d4/6). But I'm now wondering if I'm embarking on a fools errand by trying to make something potentially very complex simple.

It seems like there would be little downside to rocking depth 4 whenever you wanted to be in dream mode, since it would be providing avenues for all sorts of crazy dream logic solutions to problems. Also, the penalties would, fiction-speaking, be applied to everyone - including enemies - instead of just yourself. If that's the case, then you dumpster everyone's rolls (-4!) while you swap into Freddy Kruger kill mode. It's spotlight stealing writ large.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Tricky posted:

It seems like there would be little downside to rocking depth 4 whenever you wanted to be in dream mode, since it would be providing avenues for all sorts of crazy dream logic solutions to problems. Also, the penalties would, fiction-speaking, be applied to everyone - including enemies - instead of just yourself. If that's the case, then you dumpster everyone's rolls (-4!) while you swap into Freddy Kruger kill mode. It's spotlight stealing writ large.

Yeah, that's another part of the problem. How to balance it. While I love the idea of pulling everyone into a nightmare, there's not any easy ways to make a disadvantage that isn't smaller numbers. That one I'm thinking of dropping and making it an advanced move but on a much more limited scale.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

It might be cool to have The Dreaming as a "When you make camp, hold X" sort of deal that you can spend to choose from a list of effects. That would keep the main thrust of having a move that reliably does cool dream stuff, while preventing it from being something that constantly steals the spotlight. The other levels seems fine as a different move and the disconnection element would be interesting, I just think that the fourth level is a weird fit.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Fellowship playtest copies sent out :toot:

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

gnome7 posted:

Fellowship playtest copies sent out :toot:

I am super duper excited to run this for some friends this week. In advance of that, I was wondering: do you have any playbooks available to use for it, even if they're rough drafts or unfinished or whatever? I assume probably not, since you've likely been focusing your time on the text and laying out the book, but I thought I'd ask. I'll whip something crappy up myself, if not!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Blind Azathoth posted:

I am super duper excited to run this for some friends this week. In advance of that, I was wondering: do you have any playbooks available to use for it, even if they're rough drafts or unfinished or whatever? I assume probably not, since you've likely been focusing your time on the text and laying out the book, but I thought I'd ask. I'll whip something crappy up myself, if not!

I will have those fairly soon, but it'll be at least a week off before I do. Proper playbooks and cheat sheets are fairly high priority but also something that takes a lot of time to get right.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

gnome7 posted:

I will have those fairly soon, but it'll be at least a week off before I do. Proper playbooks and cheat sheets are fairly high priority but also something that takes a lot of time to get right.

Yeah, I figured. I know those things are a real pain in the rear end, trying to strike a balance between looking good and how much information you can actually cram on a page. Well, no worries; thought I'd ask, just in case. I look forward to seeing 'em whenever they're ready, but in the meantime... crappy Microsoft Word tables ahoy!

P.S. Congrats on writing what looks like an awesome game.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I've been reading the playtest and it's got me excited about trying it out, which is the sign of A Good Game.

It also occurred to me that this is exactly the kind of game all the Grognards complain as "storygame" and I love it. I really wish it becomes popular, not only because it deserves it, but because of all the rage it might create in "the old guard" once they get a hold of it, dobuly so because of the LOTR influences.

I'd love to read your playtest stories, if Gnome is ok with us posting them here! I'm trying to get a game together this weekend, hopefuly I'll have some feedback soon!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Posting stories is definitely A-Okay! I look forward to seeing them.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm super happy to see that Destinies are as cocaine-fuelled as my group wanted late-game content to be. The Overlord playbook is evil, too. I love it. Good to see that Arendhel the Corruptor's contagious evil actually has some mechanical backing now too :)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Make "Dream" a 7th stat, one you can't level up. It starts at 0.

Here's how the Unicorn's "Integrity" works in Monsterhearts:

quote:

With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity:
*when you take the moral high ground about an issue that matters,
*you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to
roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

Replace the triggers ("When you intuit something impossible to know rationally; when you choose an action that makes sense only to you") and you're good to go.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Golden Bee posted:

Make "Dream" a 7th stat, one you can't level up. It starts at 0.

Here's how the Unicorn's "Integrity" works in Monsterhearts:

Replace the triggers ("When you intuit something impossible to know rationally; when you choose an action that makes sense only to you") and you're good to go.

That's a pretty interesting idea. I'd been working on a resources move.

quote:

The Long path to SleepWhen you make camp and wander the dream world in your sleep. Gather 5 Dust. You can spend Dust to pull dreams and nightmares through to the real world. Spend 1 Glamour to do any of the following
- Move with dream physics for a short moment. Stop falling before you hit the floor, swim through the air slowly, walk through walls, bound from spot to spot,
- Look into someone else’s dreams and shape them to a limited degree from the outside
- Pull a useful object from the dream to your hand for a single use. It dissolves into nothing once it leaves your hand
- Let loose a simple nightmare to torment and distract a single target for a moment, but not harm them.

And because I'd been watching the fantasticly creepy stop motion animation 'the sandman' for inspiration I wrote the following as well.

quote:

Creeping Sneaking SandmanWhen you wrap the night around yourself to creep and stalk while others dream. Roll +DEX. On a 10+, the night hides you from sight completely, and locked doors open of their own accord. On a 7-9, the night shrouds and hides you, but fire will banish your concealment.

Oh My God What is Wrong With You?When you pluck the eyes from a sleeping person while they dream, Roll +DEX. On a 10+ Gain back 2 Dust up to your maximum, they do not wake. On a 7-9, ether you gain back 2 Dust but you wake your victim, or you gain 1 Dust and you have time to start to run before they wake.

But I'll need to go back an consider if this new idea is workable with the current frame I've built. I could see it easily replace the depth move I posted above. I'd edited it, but was still not too happy with it.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 10, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I just got an email from DriveThru that the Dungeon World play sheets have been updated with a couple of new playbooks. In fact, it's just the Barbarian and the Immolator, but they've also changed the layout. Not sure I feel about the change in layout: they've added some empty spaces in places for you to write, say, your own looks and alignments and stuff (Also, now there's actually space to write new bonds after you've resolved old ones!) but it also looks a bit more printer unfriendly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do like the new layout in terms of readability, but I agree that they're not anywhere as printer-friendly as they used to be.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
On the other hand, now that the sheets aren't covered in spot black, I can print these off without having to buy a new ink refill immediately

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I really like the new sheets a lot.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I do too. Much more attractive layout. The space for writing new things was much needed.
Funnily enough, the sheets I've been making have a similar thing going on with the white space half on black bars thing.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Oh My God What is Wrong With You?

I like this. Although, maybe "like" isn't the right word to use for something this morbid. Did you mean the "they do not wake" part as in, they don't wake up right now, or as in, they'll never wake up? Actually, now that I've read it again I guess the 7-9 result implies the first option. I guess the latter could work as an upgrade? Something like, "When you pluck the eyes of a sleeping person, they will never wake until you let them to."

I'm not quite sure about the resource mechanic. While it could work, personally I feel that basing the moves on a numerical stat works against the dreamlike feel I assume the class is about. Numbers are precise and concrete, dreams are not. Personally I'd remove it and go in a different direction. While I don't like the use of a numeric resource system, I do like many of the ideas you've presented. Having the dream power that's the crux of the class fluctuate sounds good. Keeps in the theme of dreams being inconsistent. Eye stealing is also good. Giving the player a motivation to perform surreal and nightmarish acts makes the concept of the class shine through. Lastly, making dreaming the way to recharge seems good. Every class benefits from making camp by healing but emphasizing the act of dreaming as the important thing fits well into the class. I tried to come up with something that follows from these goals without being as logical as a numeric system.

Let's say the playbook has a number of moves for influencing the world in a dreamlike manner. The should be somewhat open ended, but still constrained in some manner to prevent spotlight stealing and to provoke more creativity than just I cast a spel dream the problem away. The tentative idea I came up for this is thus. The playbook has a list of active Themes, ideas that define the possible dreams. Things like, serene, confusing, brutal or weightless. Maybe even something longer like the floor is lava, scissors are alive or your teeth are falling out. They could be a predefined list of ideas that can be checked or unchecked, or just something that are written and erased as needed. I'm not sure what would be better. What I'm going for is to keep the open endedness of dreams while still introducing constraints to work around. Making the world comply to a serene dream could protect you from harm but also close off the possibility of violence from your party. The Themes could be gained in different ways. Plucking out eyes could let you add a new one of your liking, while failing a roll could prompt the GM to add one that makes your life difficult. This would let you to have a say in what kind of dreams you want to inflict on the world but also limiting you by having you accumulate nasty Themes. The way I imagine the class working is that you start out with a single Theme of your choosing, making for simple, beneficial dream powers, but over time you accumulate more and more making your dreams ever more complex and insane. Which ties into my last goal, dreaming. When you have a full night's sleep exploring your dreams, erase all of your Themes and then pick one of your liking. Dreaming would be a way to clean your slate and get things back under control.

I've still left out the hardest part, actually implementing this and writing the moves, but I recon its enough to have an opinion of. What do you think?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
That's some pretty interesting idea Jvie. I rather like the idea of taking from people's dreams (with the stealing eye mechanic as the trigger). It also gives us the freedom to select the particular mechanics of the dream. Though, I do wonder if getting together a select 'spell' list would be a better idea. Giving people the option to make their own dreams could very easily lead to people stealing the scene with very powerful dreams.

Could be that you pick up themes, and then discard them through use. So, for example, you've picked up 'the floor is lava'. You could use it and then if you wanted it again, you'd have to pluck out another eye or two. I rather like that getting bad themes from failed rolls, though the trick would be how to make the player use them.

Ohh! Maybe, the more themes you've got the harder it gets to focus on the real world. Thus prompting you to sleep and reset yourself. Though, that said, I keep bringing up that mechanic and I'm really not sure on it.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Fellowship sounds so cool.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Though, that said, I keep bringing up that mechanic and I'm really not sure on it.
Which mechanic? Losing focus on the real world?

quote:

Could be that you pick up themes, and then discard them through use. So, for example, you've picked up 'the floor is lava'. You could use it and then if you wanted it again, you'd have to pluck out another eye or two. I rather like that getting bad themes from failed rolls, though the trick would be how to make the player use them.
In this case you could make the Themes work on first in first out principline. You must use them in the order you got them.

quote:

Though, I do wonder if getting together a select 'spell' list would be a better idea. Giving people the option to make their own dreams could very easily lead to people stealing the scene with very powerful dreams.
It is something I'm very uncertain about, yes. It could be that Themes aren't that good of an idea.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sage & Adam just teased Juntu's Floating Ice Hell on G+.

About bloody time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What is the Immolator and when was it made a base class? It's like a fire wizard?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Evil Mastermind posted:

About bloody time.

Is that a Kickstarter backer only thing?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
Also, here is the quarterly, obligatory "has anyone heard anything about Pirate World?" post. The last update on May 21 said the PDF would be out "soon." The author is The Supreme Court, correct?

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

Covok posted:

What is the Immolator and when was it made a base class? It's like a fire wizard?

The Immolator is more like an elemental sword mage with various fire manipulation abilities. See the sheet here. It was released just about a year ago. Early access was given to those who donated to a specific fundraiser, but it was then posted on the homepage a couple of months later.

zarathud fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 13, 2015

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Definitely what I think of when looking at the Immolator is Thoros of Myr.

http://i.imgur.com/6L3lOao.jpg

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Jvie posted:

Which mechanic? Losing focus on the real world?

Yeah, the losing focus mechanic. While i love the idea, im not sure if it would be fun to play.

quote:

In this case you could make the Themes work on first in first out principline. You must use them in the order you got them.

That could be a good way to work it. I'll see how things play out while I plan around mechanics.

quote:

It is something I'm very uncertain about, yes. It could be that Themes aren't that good of an idea.

I think theme might be the wrong word. But i do get the idea you're going for. I'll see if i cant come up with a good way to work it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah, they look awesome. Really cool layout. Now I wish I could magically convert all of the great unofficial classes to that format, too.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, they look awesome. Really cool layout. Now I wish I could magically convert all of the great unofficial classes to that format, too.

I've been meaning to tweak the Gladiator, Berserk, and Marshall lately--maybe I'll try to get them done in this style when I do.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

About bloody time.

And still nothing on the mass combat and higher level book either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm suddenly overcome by the desire to run a Dungeon World game again.

I spent a good portion of the day idly coming up with a setting that is basically "Inverse World, but the islands are suspended on the branches of a World Tree with Sola at the top." Cloudseas covering a mysterious surface with various legends as to how/why it became uninhabitable (though nobody has seen it for countless ages). Frog people who fish the cloudseas; crow people who were important traders before the development of flying machines and now struggle to find a niche; sloth people who are overwhelmingly employed mining the tough bark of the World Tree (a renewable resource) that is used in place of metal in many applications. (Also, the "human" stand-in are Folk, basically just a mish-mash of various humanoids that don't really consider each other to be different species. Want to be a dude with webbed toes and cat ears? Sure, you're just Folk like everyone else.) There's a desert island that is freezing cold and perpetually nighttime because it is always shaded by the leaves of the World Tree--it never gets enough rain for vegetation to grow because it can't make it through the immense canopy.

I'd run it right now but I'm neck-deep in a 13th Age campaign that is probably going to go on for a while. :ohdear: Maybe I can start running sessions in between 13th Age story arcs.