Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Mandy Thompson posted:

No religion is truly the religion of peace and even empiricism has been used to justify eugenics.

What is this even supposed to mean? It sounds like vague crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sethex posted:

Fear not, I read the thread 11 months ago, the voting was that way then, feel free to PM a mod to confirm.

So at this point you are projecting hypothetical conspiracy theories of anti-muslims infiltrating the voting base of the r/islam sub. If you want to continue demonstrating mental gymnastics check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_Declaration_on_Human_Rights_in_Islam

Let's say IF mainstream Islam was incompatible with Human rights, would it be wrong of me to think it needs to change?

Ahh yes, my ridiculous conspiracy theory of racists brigading minority subreddits and some internet atheists invading religious discussions with belligerent slander. Jet fuel can't melt steel and I am cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

If we assume the premise is accurate, that's merely a factor of public opinion within the community and that is what needs to change and can change. The mechanism for this successfully occurring doesn't involve discrimination or sweeping denunciations by scholars of Islam who did their research project on the comments in a webzone

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Woah, woah, woah, are you really saying that any Christian who isn't a universalist isn't really a Christian? Whoops, there goes hundreds of millions of adherents! Universalism is actually the minority view, at least in America.

I mean let's be honest here at least a large majority of people who claim they're Christian aren't actually.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Svartvit posted:

No, you do not undermine Islamism at all. You have, presumably, nothing to do with it. Do you think that the Tea Party movement reasonably can be undermined the Chinese middle class? There are a plethora of Russian intellectuals and fancy middle-class debaters who a little too frequently complain about US transgressions of international law and democratic standards in the Russian media. What a loving joke they are, just like we are when we obsess about today's Islamic culture and all its many flaws. This thread is mostly just a wallowing in stereotypifications and neat little academic roundabout formulations disconnected from reality. People talk about Islam and Muslims as if they just arrived from Mars with tentacles and in a pool of sludge, and if I didn't personally think that the Islamic religion is dumb crock I'd be pretty offended and even seriously worried by the words being used.
Sophistry, muslims live in the west and islamism isn't restricted to one country, the tea party most definitely is. That and the same standard is never applied to other groups, especially in D&D - should everyone outside of Greece be silent about Golden Dawn?
They were expressing slut-shaming sentiments often conjoined with Islamism. Not strictly related to Islam, but it was a fundamentally political attack.

Like the point I'm trying to drive through: Islamism is a political ideology, treat it that way. Of course you're going to get people saying it's the true expression of some inherent islamic religion, it's not, it's supremacist ideology that's implanted itself in Islam. You have to confront it, don't downplay it, don't excuse it. Protect Muslims as a group, but suppress fascists who are also muslims, just as you would suppress fascists who are also christian.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 1, 2015

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Tezzor posted:

Ahh yes, my ridiculous conspiracy theory of racists brigading minority subreddits and some internet atheists invading religious discussions with belligerent slander. Jet fuel can't melt steel and I am cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

If we assume the premise is accurate, that's merely a factor of public opinion within the community and that is what needs to change and can change. The mechanism for this successfully occurring doesn't involve discrimination or sweeping denunciations by scholars of Islam who did their research project on the comments in a webzone

I disagree with your implied point. As we've seen before in this thread, you have a very essentialist view of cultures - a view that most of the modern left does not share. This excerpt from one of the best Je Suis backlash responses makes the point diplomatically:

Slate.com posted:

The leaders of religious communities don’t necessarily speak for all their members, either. William Donohue, of the Catholic League, claims that Charlie Hebdo’s satires have wronged Catholics, but as someone raised in that particular authoritarian faith, I can attest that when I was young, rude parodies of the religious figures I had been taught to respect (specifically in Mad magazine) gave me the nerve to challenge their right to tell me how to live my life. It might suit Western leftists’ sensibilities if the only people allowed to mock or criticize Islam in our countries were other Muslims, but it simply isn’t true that rebels and innovators only learn to challenge orthodoxies from people just like themselves. Or from people just like us.

It’s hard for me to see how Charlie Hebdo’s cartoons might inspire meaningful questioning of religious authority, but then again I also can’t for the life of me understand what people see in the Beat poets. That doesn’t mean that crass satire and bad poetry can’t have profound and positive effects on human lives — in addition to being forms of expression that absolutely must be protected in a free society whether or not they do. Part of that freedom is, in turn, the right to criticize those expressions if they seem to perpetrate stereotypes and other forms of injustice. Racial stereotypes can be savagely pernicious. But a censure of racial stereotypes that tacitly insists that certain figures ought to remain exempt from parody is in its own way just as perilous.

Although in this case it is "sweeping generalizations" on the internet you are attempting to squelch rather than crass caricatures, the principle is the same. You talk about how such and such a type of discourse "isn't part of the mechanism" for some community's cultural change, and all we see is some high-handed rear end in a top hat trying to set the boundaries of the debate like he's the god drat Pope and lumping everyone in every civilization into some racialized category which you then hold up as their sole defining attribute. Have you ever considered that there might be a lot of people in the Middle East (many of whom call themselves Muslims because they'd be ostracized if not immediately murdered by their "friends" and family if they were revealed as an unbeliever) who actually wish there was more criticism of Islam? Even if the criticism is crude and/or comes from the mouths of the damnable imperialistic white race?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

I mean let's be honest here at least a large majority of people who claim they're Christian aren't actually.

Says who?

Who is a Christian? What's the definition you're working with and from where does it derive its authority?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A person who closely follows and lives by the teachings of Christ, derived from the meaning of the drat word. Don't be pedantic, you know exactly what I meant.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

A person who closely follows and lives by the teachings of Christ, derived from the meaning of the drat word. Don't be pedantic, you know exactly what I meant.

I know what you meant, but it's loving nonsense. You may as well say most people who think they're liberals aren't really liberals because they aren't sufficiently committed to the set of philosophical principles derived from the work of John Locke. It's idiotic. You're indexing your definition of 'Christian' to your interpretation of the supposed teachings of a guy we don't even know for sure wasn't made up out of whole cloth. I don't think it's pendantry to point out how dumb that is.

I mean, where do you think 'the meaning of the drat word' (or any word) comes from?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 1, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If someone says they're a liberal and then talks about how great Donald Trump is and how all the people shot by cops recently deserved to die, I'm gonna seriously loving question whether they actually are one (or even truly comprehend what a liberal is).

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

If we assume the premise is accurate, that's merely a factor of public opinion within the community and that is what needs to change and can change.

So do you think the behaviour of the community defines the religion?

Tezzor posted:

The mechanism for this successfully occurring doesn't involve discrimination or sweeping denunciations by scholars of Islam who did their research project on the comments in a webzone

Why do you conflate criticizing something as a form of discrimination?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If someone says they're a liberal and then talks about how great Donald Trump is and how all the people shot by cops recently deserved to die, I'm gonna seriously loving question whether they actually are one (or even truly comprehend what a liberal is).

Yes but if a large number of liberals say the same thing, then the definiton of what a liberal is shifts towards that thing. Regardless of the original definition of the word.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, but the fact is that most people in America who identify as liberals are actually social democrats who favour some market regulations for the sake of equality, a social safety net funded through taxation, and various other very sensible things that are basically anathema to the coherent system of political beliefs known philosophy, economics, and political science as liberalism.

They're still liberals, though, and anybody arguing otherwise is a buffoon.

What a word originally meant isn't usually of very much importance. All words are made up. Their meanings shift. Saying most people who are baptised and attend church on a Sunday aren't actually Christians because they're capitalists or bigoted is ludicrous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I was entirely ignoring the academic definition of "liberal" there. From that definition, those positions would actually make them a true liberal- it's the "vaguely social-democrat" definition that's more relevant to my analogy.

Also, my point is that if you actively ignore everything a religion says, and yet you still claim to profess that religion, you're a goddamn idiot and people are entirely justified in calling you such.

For example, Christianity is fundamentally incompatible with right-wing politics, and not in a way that is open to interpretation- the "Eye of the Needle was actually a gate" thing, for instance, is straight up disingenuous bullshit and has no theological backing. Plus, money changers in the temple, multiplying the bread and fish, et cetera. You can claim to be a Christian and be right-wing, but you cannot actually follow the words of Christ and be right-wing. Similarly, Daesh are professing to be Muslims, even though (to my understanding) their actions make Mohammed spin in his grave fast enough to power the entire Middle East.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Liberal_L33t posted:

I disagree with your implied point. As we've seen before in this thread, you have a very essentialist view of cultures - a view that most of the modern left does not share. This excerpt from one of the best Je Suis backlash responses makes the point diplomatically:

Although in this case it is "sweeping generalizations" on the internet you are attempting to squelch rather than crass caricatures, the principle is the same. You talk about how such and such a type of discourse "isn't part of the mechanism" for some community's cultural change, and all we see is some high-handed rear end in a top hat trying to set the boundaries of the debate like he's the god drat Pope and lumping everyone in every civilization into some racialized category which you then hold up as their sole defining attribute. Have you ever considered that there might be a lot of people in the Middle East (many of whom call themselves Muslims because they'd be ostracized if not immediately murdered by their "friends" and family if they were revealed as an unbeliever) who actually wish there was more criticism of Islam? Even if the criticism is crude and/or comes from the mouths of the damnable imperialistic white race?

Do you think that there are some Americans in the US who disagree with US foreign policy and wish there was more criticism of it? Sure. What percentage of these do you think want to hear it from Osama bin Laden or the Ayatollah? The western countries ceaselessly slaughter and oppress Muslims and have been doing so essentially uninterrupted for nearly a century. The fiercest critics of Islam in these countries are fascists and guys who otherwise openly loathe them, such as yourself. So certainly there are some who want to hear it, but they probably don't want to hear it from you.

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 1, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

For example, Christianity is fundamentally incompatible with right-wing politics, and not in a way that is open to interpretation- the "Eye of the Needle was actually a gate" thing, for instance, is straight up disingenuous bullshit and has no theological backing. Plus, money changers in the temple, multiplying the bread and fish, et cetera. You can claim to be a Christian and be right-wing, but you cannot actually follow the words of Christ and be right-wing.

But Christians have never considered 'following the words of Christ' to be a prerequisite for belonging to the club. It's always been about what you believe, not what you do. The Nicene Creed doesn't say a thing about how one must behave in order to be a Christian.

Far closer to the fundamental core - the kernel I guess - of Christianity than principles of charity is the notion that your fuckups during mortal existence are entirely expungeable if you believe the rights thing and ask to be forgiven.

'Christian' is a term that refers to such a broad and varied category of people that it's simply indefensible to define it as anything more specific than 'one who believes Jesus is the son of God and that he died so that our wrongdoings may be absolved.' I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to be that exactly, but it simply doesn't make sense to be any more restrictive. Similarly, I really don't see how you can define 'Muslim' any more narrowly than, for instance, than 'one who believes there is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his prophet.'

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Smudgie Buggler posted:

'Christian' is a term that refers to such a broad and varied category of people that it's simply indefensible to define it as anything more specific than 'one who believes Jesus is the son of God and that he died so that our wrongdoings may be absolved.' I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to be that exactly, but it simply doesn't make sense to be any more restrictive. Similarly, I really don't see how you can define 'Muslim' any more narrowly than, for instance, than 'one who believes there is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his prophet.'

This, precisely. To make a No-True-Scotsman argument about Christianity and political leaning is beyond ridiculous, and would get you labeled a racist if you tried anything similar with other religions.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Similarly, I really don't see how you can define 'Muslim' any more narrowly than, for instance, than 'one who believes there is no god but Allah and Mohammad is his prophet.'

A major difference is that you could very credibly call yourself a Christian and reject the Old Testament and large swathes of the New Testament based on what you perceive as a lack of validity, given how the Christian Bible was compiled over a hundred years after Jesus' death from a wide variety of sources and whether or not you believe Jesus' teachings superseded Jewish law (like how Christians don't follow Jewish dietary practices). A Muslim cannot do the same for the Quran, although they can pick and choose their Hadiths.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Narciss posted:

A major difference is that you could very credibly call yourself a Christian and reject the Old Testament and large swathes of the New Testament based on what you perceive as a lack of validity, given how the Christian Bible was compiled over a hundred years after Jesus' death from a wide variety of sources and whether or not you believe Jesus' teachings superseded Jewish law (like how Christians don't follow Jewish dietary practices). A Muslim cannot do the same for the Quran, although they can pick and choose their Hadiths.

I'm pretty sure Pauline, Nicene Christianity (AKA what people are referring to when they say "Christianity") requires both the Old and New Testaments, regardless of what the average western Christian personally believes. Because that is the standard we're using here, remember

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Narciss posted:

Well, OK, but I don't see what this has to do with the price of eggs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Narciss posted:

To be fair, most of the horrible poo poo that fundamentalists do comes from hadiths or from cultural practices with no actual link to Islam. I'm not saying I'd love to live in a society governed according solely to the Quran, but it'd be a drat sight better than what Daesh is doing right now. A lot of more liberal Muslims view a lot of the more "offensive" hadiths, such as the one that calls for death to apostates for example, to be a result of the political context of early Islam, applicable only to that situation, and not actually a universal rule (as the Quran states there should be no compulsion in religion, and the threat of being killed is clearly coercion).

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

PT6A posted:

To be fair, most of the horrible poo poo that fundamentalists do comes from hadiths or from cultural practices with no actual link to Islam.

This is hardly accurate. Just google "Quran quotes slavery/war/apostasy" and you'll find plenty of repulsive material condoning the raping of women captured in battle, the sanctity of war waged by believers on non-believers, and the lawfulness of executing those who renounce Islam.

----------------

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

This is hardly accurate. Just google "Quran quotes slavery/war/apostasy" and you'll find plenty of repulsive material condoning the raping of women captured in battle, the sanctity of war waged by believers on non-believers, and the lawfulness of executing those who renounce Islam.

The Hadiths are usually lumped under the "Quran" designation in Western society.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

computer parts posted:

The Hadiths are usually lumped under the "Quran" designation in Western society.

I'm sure your right in some cases, but it's hardly necessary to turn to the Hadiths to find quotes that would make your average liberal-minded person go "uhhhhh":

Surah 4 Verse 89 posted:

They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.

----------------

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Narciss posted:

I'm sure your right in some cases, but it's hardly necessary to turn to the Hadiths to find quotes that would make your average liberal-minded person go "uhhhhh":

You can also trawl through both testaments to the bible to find some very "uhhh" quotes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

Bible says what?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Panzeh posted:

You can also trawl through both testaments to the bible to find some very "uhhh" quotes.

When we're comparing millenia-old desert religions and the degree to which they are anathema to modern liberal sensibilities, it's always going to be a matter of degree. I would contend that no religion is as blatantly incompatible with liberal society as Islam, and I think many people in this thread would agree. I did some quick googling for "worst New Testament verses" and the stuff I've found is pretty milquetoast when compared to the Quran. Most of the 'violence' is saying how bad things will happen to bad people in the afterlife (as opposed to Islam, which mandates bad things happening to not-bad people in this life), or very clearly symbolic sayings like "if your right eye offends thee, pluck it out".

I'll also circle back around to my earlier point about how Christ's teachings are much more open to interpretation for a variety of reasons, given how little we know about him and how his teachings all went through a game of Telephone before being put to paper. Someone isn't any less of a Christian just because they ignore, say, the gospel of Mark and choose to believe the gospel of Thomas better represented what Jesus taught. Islam & the Quran are very different. The Quran is not open to picking & choosing; Mohammad was the final prophet, the Quran is the word of God, and that's the way it's been since Mohammad started the religion. If you are a Muslim, you follow a religion whose unquestionable holy book says that it's ok to rape slaves, murder apostates, and wage holy war. The degree to which Muslims do not endorse these things is the degree to which they are not Muslim and practice cognitive dissonance in order to function in a modern world.

----------------

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Narciss posted:

When we're comparing millenia-old desert religions and the degree to which they are anathema to modern liberal sensibilities, it's always going to be a matter of degree. I would contend that no religion is as blatantly incompatible with liberal society as Islam, and I think many people in this thread would agree. I did some quick googling for "worst New Testament verses" and the stuff I've found is pretty milquetoast when compared to the Quran. Most of the 'violence' is saying how bad things will happen to bad people in the afterlife (as opposed to Islam, which mandates bad things happening to not-bad people in this life), or very clearly symbolic sayings like "if your right eye offends thee, pluck it out".

There are multiple passages in the New Testament about how women should be subservient and even petty stuff like banning them from showing their hair during church service.

You can argue that that's not in the Gospels but I have yet to meet a single Christian who only uses the 4 Gospels as a bible.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, but it's not exactly courting controversy on D&D to think that, like, Christianity is, like, uhhh, so uncool. Hello?

But we weren't discussing Christianity here. Or Jainism either (preemptively).

Go on, say racism. You know you want to.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

computer parts posted:

There are multiple passages in the New Testament about how women should be subservient and even petty stuff like banning them from showing their hair during church service.

You can argue that that's not in the Gospels but I have yet to meet a single Christian who only uses the 4 Gospels as a bible.

Well for one thing, 'women should be subservient to men' is pretty tame for something written two millenia ago, especially compared to many passages in the Quran. If you're referring to Colossians, was that even written when Jesus was alive? My main issue with Islam is that it is not open to interpretation the same way Christianity is. Christianity can bend & adapt with the times because whatever Jesus actually taught has been long lost to the mists of times. All we have are a bunch of writings from followers and followers of followers to pick and choose from, all of questionable historical validity. As a Muslim, you just can't do that and still call yourself a Muslim with any degree of credibility. I'm not religious, so I'm looking at both of these religions from the point of view of "which is easier to get along with as a non-believer", which I believe is roughly in line with the spirit the thread was started in.

----------------

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If it were as rigid as you say, Islam would be much more hierarchical in structure surely? There's no Islamic equivalent of a pope or anything like that.

And there are different sects in Islam just as there are in Christianity, so some interpretation is obviously going on.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
So if we accept the premise that Islam is fundamentally the Worst Evil Bad Religion on the planet then what exactly is your solution? Saturation nuclear bombardment? Mass brainwashing?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Abner Cadaver II posted:

So if we accept the premise that Islam is fundamentally the Worst Evil Bad Religion on the planet then what exactly is your solution? Saturation nuclear bombardment? Mass brainwashing?

I like how you accepted my conclusion but super sarcastically in a way that makes me think you're not open to a real discussion. :raise:

tooterfish posted:

If it were as rigid as you say, Islam would be much more hierarchical in structure surely? There's no Islamic equivalent of a pope or anything like that.

And there are different sects in Islam just as there are in Christianity, so some interpretation is obviously going on.

The Caliph could be viewed as the Islamic patriarch/pope, although it's quite a bit different. Islam sees no dividing lines between religious and political life and the Caliph is the leader of the entire Muslim community in both spheres. I'm not sure what textual basis there is for a Caliph or what the Quran dictates about how one should be selected. That said, just because Islamic is rigid in the degree to which it is open to interpretation doesn't mean it has to have a single leader. There is interpretation, sure, but there's a limit to how much you can soften verses like the ones saying you can kill apostates. If you google Islamic scholar's readings of 4:89, I doubt you'll find an interpretation that has you saying "ah yes this is ok with me".

----------------

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

tooterfish posted:

That doesn't follow at all, buddy.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Narciss posted:

I like how you accepted my conclusion but super sarcastically in a way that makes me think you're not open to a real discussion. :raise:

I'm accepting it hypothetically (and very sarcastically) because I want to know what you think the world should do about Those Bad Muslims if it really is such a fundamentally, irredeemably anti-modern religion like you imagine it is.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

tooterfish posted:

To be fair The Papacy doesn't have much theological foundation at all and exists in its form as a religious authority more due to massive amounts of skulduggery, tradition and chance than anything else. If Charlemagne didn't really give a poo poo about Popes Stephen III, Adrian I and Leo III's problems with the Lombards, Byzantines and various Italian Lords then the makeup of Christianity could utterly different than it is now. Most protestant sects have little hierarchy (often in response to Catholicism's hierarchical structure which can be easily seen as an innovation that hasn't much to do with pure Christianity). Its differs across Islam too, Shiite's usually have a more elaborate hierarchy than Sunni, and I'm sure if things had gone differently at some point after the religion emerged there could have been an Islamic pope equivalent somewhere.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 2, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That doesn't follow at all, buddy.
Sure it does. He was saying the Quran wasn't open to interpretation and therefore it's harder to live alongside Muslims than Christians, because Christians have more wiggle room not to be dicks.

If that were true then there wouldn't be different sects of Islam and there'd be a single supreme authority. So there's obviously a lot more interpretation going on than he gives credit for.

As far as I know every Muslim is required to study the Quran themselves, by contrast the Catholic church went to great lengths to keep the Bible unreadable to the masses.

Narciss posted:

The Caliph could be viewed as the Islamic patriarch/pope
Maybe. Who's Caliph now then?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 2, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

tooterfish posted:

Doesn't Al-Baghdadi claim that?

"Claim" being the important factor here.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know why anyone is bothering to argue with a guy who seriously says that you can summarily dismiss self-identified "Muslims" who don't follow ahadith they don't like, but insists that everyone who thinks positively of Jesus counts as a Christian. Unitarians, people who only use the gospels, whatever, are not "Christian" by the definition used for 2000 years. And as for religious law, for most of those 2000 years the Christian establishment considered it fine and dandy to have it and enforce it, including forced tithing, church attendance, fasting, and execution of heretics. You can argue that Islam is somehow less suited to dispense with the religious law, but to argue that Christianity doesn't have it is 100% false

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 2, 2015

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

icantfindaname posted:

I don't know why anyone is bothering to argue with a guy who seriously says that you can summarily dismiss self-identified "Muslims" who don't follow ahadith they don't like

You need to read what I wrote again. Muslims can pick & choose Hadith, as many of them are of questionable historical validity and as far as I know Mohammad never said "do as I say *and* as I do", as he of course had no way of knowing the collection of writings and stories known as the Hadith would pop up after his death. What I said was that Muslims can't pick & choose bits of the Quran to follow and still call themselves Muslims; if you disagree, I'd be interested to know why.

tooterfish posted:

According to Wikipedia the 2 current major claimants are Al-Baghdadi (Sunni) and Mirza Masroor Ahmad (Ahmadiyya). Obviously anyone calling themselves Caliph will have a good chunk of the Muslim world saying "no you're not".

----------------

Narciss fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

tooterfish posted:

Sure it does. He was saying the Quran wasn't open to interpretation and therefore it's harder to live alongside Muslims than Christians, because Christians have more wiggle room not to be dicks.

If that were true then there wouldn't be different sects of Islam and there'd be a single supreme authority. So there's obviously a lot more interpretation going on than he gives credit for.

First, Christian theology is a hell of a lot more varied than Islamic theology. That isn't in any way an indictment of Islam, it's just obviously and demonstrably the case. It is way more philosophically homogenous than Christianity.

Second, you used the absence of a counterpart to the Pope in Islam as an example of why Islam isn't hierarchical or top-down authoritative in how interprets scripture. This is exceptionally retarded, not just because the Pope is by no means the boss of what Christians believe, but because Sunni Islam had until 1924 (and has again now, according to Daesh) a supreme religious authority: the Caliph. A bona fide Caliph's legitimacy is derived from his spiritual succession from Mohammed in pretty much exactly the same way as the Pope's derives from his succession from Saint Peter as Bishop of Rome. It is an astonishingly important position. Most Sunnis simply believe the Caliphate currently to be a vacant position, not abolished. In short, sedevacantism is orthodoxy in Sunni Islam.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread