Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

bpower posted:

Name two.

Well, they think they're serious intellectuals. I should have said something like major activists and conservative voices. The article names three.

Republican strategist Rick Wilson
Club for Growth President David McIntosh
Craig Robinson, a conservative activist and blogger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chris Christie posted:

3. Require Medicare to run in the black, with the income-based formula being adjusted as often as every single year if necessary based on the prior years' expenses and funding (i.e. prevent private insurance from being destroyed via Medicare being artificially underpriced via running massive deficits). Write the law so that this provision is not severable, i.e. Democrats would never be able to destroy the private insurance industry by waiting until they once again hold the presidency and both houses at the same time, and then altering the law to allow the program to run in the red and severely undercharge payings customers.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Congress can handicap itself this way without a constitutional amendment. Severability is used in legislation to guide how the courts break up a law that is found unconstitutional. It can't be used to bind a future Congress to be unable to enact whatever laws they like.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Chris Christie posted:

What I want to hear doesn't matter since I'll never hear it, but my personal preference would be:

1. Eliminate Medicaid and simply use ONE program - Medicare.

2. Open up Medicare as a choice to non-retirees on an income-based pricing model, similar to the current federal student loan repayment plans (i.e. what you pay = some % of your income above the poverty line). This takes care of those medicaid patients, as anyone whose income was at or below poverty line would have a $0 payment for medicare.

3. Require Medicare to run in the black, with the income-based formula being adjusted as often as every single year if necessary based on the prior years' expenses and funding (i.e. prevent private insurance from being destroyed via Medicare being artificially underpriced via running massive deficits). Write the law so that this provision is not severable, i.e. Democrats would never be able to destroy the private insurance industry by waiting until they once again hold the presidency and both houses at the same time, and then altering the law to allow the program to run in the red and severely undercharge payings customers. Also cap Medicare payroll taxes at the current rate, so shortfalls MUST be addressed with the pricing formula for non-retirees. Also, means test retirees and have wealthy ones also pay for their medicare.

4. Also include an unseverable provision providing complete choice for providers as well - keep it perfectly legal to operate private practices/hospitals that only accept private payers. And keep it perfectly legal for private payers to negotiate preferential treatment with providers that do accept public patients for the premium prices they pay. i.e. prevent Democrats from forcing everyone to participate equally in mediocrity.

Thats great, but why not just tax the bollox off the rich, build a world class public health system and let the rich go to their private hospitals if they wish?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Chic-fil-a was totally off my radar before any of that stuff. I thought it was just a run of the mill B-list fast food joint.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Chic-fil-a was totally off my radar before any of that stuff. I thought it was just a run of the mill B-list fast food joint.

it's pretty overpriced tbh

know where i can get waffle fries for cheaper tho?? seriously.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Congress can handicap itself this way without a constitutional amendment. Severability is used in legislation to guide how the courts break up a law that is found unconstitutional. It can't be used to bind a future Congress to be unable to enact whatever laws they like.

They wouldn't be handicapping themselves. A future congress could always vote to repeal the entire thing, and vote to institute a new system, which was almost identical, except allowing the program to run in the red.

I know for sure that they could not include a provision saying a/the law cannot be repealed.

BUT you could be right. I have no idea as to the constitutionality of congress making a part of a law inseverable. Not my area of expertise, I stuck to tax law and securities law courses. Basic con law required courses don't cover jack-****.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Then they shouldn't be doing it.

^^^^ 10000 times

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Their nuggets taste good

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
remember their donations to anti-gay camps and movements? lamao

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Their nuggets taste good

They came with my meal plan

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

around here its the best fast food no contest, but its still fast food

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shockingly, Ted Cruz doesn't seem to be backing down from his assertion that Obama is the greatest sponsor of terrorism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p43SMI-4Tf4

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Whiskey Sours posted:

Bill Kristol and Charles Krauthammer :smug:

Yeah, that is about the best they have. Which just goes to show that there is no such animal as a conservative serious intellectual.

And LMFAO at the notion that Trump is anywhere near the center. Only in America can tepid non-statements about "taking care of our people" be sprinkled into a vast soup of racist, sexist, fiscally conservative stupidity and be seriously called "centrist" by anybody. Jesus Christ.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Trump to bring back water boarding "SERE training for everyone"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-plays-expectations-im-debater/story?id=32833152

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How loving chickenshit do you have to be to be afraid of the public knowing your name when you are literally untouchable by the common person. Piece of poo poo cowards.

Because a newspaper may print a story saying mean things about them and then they will be sad during breakfast. :qq:

It's pretty hilarious that these billionaires are being secretive with their donations that are going to candidates who will complain about the Obama administration's lack of transparency.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

They're like Eigenvalues, but with less linear transformation and more Amtrak.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chris Christie posted:

They wouldn't be handicapping themselves. A future congress could always vote to repeal the entire thing, and vote to institute a new system, which was almost identical, except allowing the program to run in the red.

Right, this alone is enough to make such a provision pointless. But they couldn't even create a requirement that Congress would have to repeal the whole thing and then institute a new system. I don't believe they can prevent themselves from later performing even the simple convenience of merely amending the law.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

As indicated by others, the "dead gay son" post was a not so clever attempt at a humorous reference to a line from a movie that IS very clever, Heathers. Yeah, go see this movie. It's at least as funny as the primaries.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How is this different than the Democratic position (except the 'learn English' part, which I'm not entirely sure is legal)? The daylight between Democrats and sane Republicans on this issue is mostly as to whether to offer a path to citizenship, which is not addressed in that article.

The big differences are:

- The Bush plan would never let any of them become citizens, except under the normal process. They won't be deported, but they can't become citizens. So, they'd need to wait 12-16 years, get married to a U.S. citizen, or just be a permanent non-citizen with a work permit.
- The Dem plan usually lets you apply to become a citizen as soon as you pay your fine and you can become one in about 6 years.
- Bush would require people to "learn English" which probably means pass a written test.
- Under the Bush plan, if you didn't want to be a permanent non-citizen or marry a U.S. citizen, you'd probably have to leave the country before you could get citizenship.

The big difference between Bush's "moderate" position is that he will not deport all 12 million illegal immigrants and will instead let them stay as non-citizens who are banned from public assistance and voting. The normal Republican position is "deport them all." So, therefore the permanent underclass plan is the liberal option in the primary.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why doesn't the US just adopt Canada's point-system for immigration?

Have an education? You get points.

Have a job placement already lined up? You get points.

Speak both English and French? You get points.

I think you also need to have like $10,000 in assets. And in Canada, Canadian citizens always get first preference in the hiring process over non-citizens.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

"You could say my whole life is a debate, but I'm not a debater" Never stop, Trump.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The big differences are:

- The Bush plan would never let any of them become citizens, except under the normal process. They won't be deported, but they can't become citizens. So, they'd need to wait 12-16 years, get married to a U.S. citizen, or just be a permanent non-citizen with a work permit.
- The Dem plan usually lets you apply to become a citizen as soon as you pay your fine and you can become one in about 6 years.
- Bush would require people to "learn English" which probably means pass a written test.
- Under the Bush plan, if you didn't want to be a permanent non-citizen or marry a U.S. citizen, you'd probably have to leave the country before you could get citizenship.

The big difference between Bush's "moderate" position is that he will not deport all 12 million illegal immigrants and will instead let them stay as non-citizens who are banned from public assistance and voting. The normal Republican position is "deport them all." So, therefore the permanent underclass plan is the liberal option in the primary.

I'm not sure how allowing people to work legally, but not allowing them to vote or receive public assistance equates to a permanent underclass. My day to day experience with most immigrants is that they work 2 jobs and are always sending money home, not that they want to come here to go on welfare. How much does any of our votes really count? Many will probably end up marrying citizens anyway.

Since the default position is crazy it almost seems reasonable, or do I dare say, well though out.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I wonder if daddy Bush and Barbara go to bed at night lamenting that the wrong son ran for president in 2000?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

blue squares posted:

Lines out the door at every Chik-Fil-A location in the country?

From Wikipedia:
Sales soared following the controversy. Sales increased "12 percent, to $4.6 billion, in 2012. The good fortune follows several years of impressive expansion and strong sales, which have pushed the privately held company's valuation north of $4.5 billion, making billionaires out of its founders ... These latest sales data are just further proof that all that negative coverage didn't hurt demand for chicken sandwiches among Chick-fil-A's core consumers."

Wasn't the issue putting a crimp in future expansion, especially out of the Southern region, and a worry that the immediate sympathetic increase wouldn't last long term? Sure your homophobic base is nice, but there's more money in keeping them and still getting the homos to come and eat at your place too.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm not sure how allowing people to work legally, but not allowing them to vote or receive public assistance equates to a permanent underclass. My day to day experience with most immigrants is that they work 2 jobs and are always sending money home, not that they want to come here to go on welfare. How much does any of our votes really count? Many will probably end up marrying citizens anyway.

It's a "permanent underclass" because if you have no right to public assistance, then you have nothing to fall back on if you lose your job. So no matter how abusive your employer is, whether they assign you weird hours or cut your pay or just treat you like poo poo, you can't afford to quit.

On the flip side, people on these permanent work visas would be attractive candidates for jobs precisely because their employers can pay them less and offer fewer benefits. So a plan like this both mistreats a large group of people and also takes away jobs from legal immigrants and citizens. But it's an attractive plan for big businesses, because even though they can hire illegal immigrants right now, Bush's plan would let them continue to underpay those same people while also removing the threat that their workers might get deported.

And yeah, for Republicans, this is the liberal position. :stonk:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm not sure how allowing people to work legally, but not allowing them to vote or receive public assistance equates to a permanent underclass.

You just explained literally why that makes them a permanent underclass. If it's impossible for them to ever vote or receive public assistance, they are an underclass, permanently.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zoran posted:

It's a "permanent underclass" because if you have no right to public assistance, then you have nothing to fall back on if you lose your job.

I think the word "permanent" may not be applicable when their children will be full citizens.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think the word "permanent" may not be applicable when their children will be full citizens.

Do they magically become their own children and gain their children's rights? Because that's the only way "but their kids can be citizens" could refute the permanent part.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

How does that help their own job prospects or rights?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zoran posted:

It doesn't. I'm not defending it as a solution, but it doesn't create a population of people who are permanently part of an underclass.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

It doesn't. I'm not defending it as a solution, but it doesn't create a population of people who are permanently part of an underclass.

Well, yeah, but if I'm reading you right, the population will only stop being an underclass because they'll die.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Zoran posted:

It doesn't, but it's still not a "permanent underclass", it's a temporary underclass

which is still bad

but not permanent

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's where the 14 Amendment fuckery comes in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Bob Ojeda posted:

It doesn't, but it's still not a "permanent underclass", it's a temporary underclass

which is still bad

but not permanent

If it lasts until they die, then it's permanent.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

So Fishmech and I are using permanent to refer to one's membership in the class, and I think the rest of you are using it to refer to the class itself. Either way, it's bad, and totally anathema to American values.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Nintendo Kid posted:

If it lasts until they die, then it's permanent.

I mean this is pretty much entirely a semantic disagreement so whatever, there's no actual disagreement here

But my assumption when you say that there's a permanent underclass is that the class is permanent. That, if you create a permanent underclass, there will always be a group of citizens whose rights are taken away and who are exploited. That's the way I've seen it used.

but, again, who gives a poo poo, everyone agrees that the Jeb Bush proposal would create a group of people who would never be able to get full legal rights no matter what, which is the relevant thing to talk about here.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zoran posted:

Well, yeah, but if I'm reading you right, the population will only stop being an underclass because they'll die.

Zoran posted:

So Fishmech and I are using permanent to refer to one's membership in the class, and I think the rest of you are using it to refer to the class itself. Either way, it's bad, and totally anathema to American values.

Exactly, you two are talking about permanent membership in an underclass without the underclass itself being permanent.

I'm not trying to make this a semantic argument, but rather to distinguish the problem from one where not even their children would be full citizens, which is what some conservatives argue for and is therefore worth distinguishing.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zoran posted:

It's a "permanent underclass" because if you have no right to public assistance, then you have nothing to fall back on if you lose your job. So no matter how abusive your employer is, whether they assign you weird hours or cut your pay or just treat you like poo poo, you can't afford to quit.

On the flip side, people on these permanent work visas would be attractive candidates for jobs precisely because their employers can pay them less and offer fewer benefits. So a plan like this both mistreats a large group of people and also takes away jobs from legal immigrants and citizens. But it's an attractive plan for big businesses, because even though they can hire illegal immigrants right now, Bush's plan would let them continue to underpay those same people while also removing the threat that their workers might get deported.

And yeah, for Republicans, this is the liberal position. :stonk:

Not defending it, because of course you are right that public assistance = safety net. I wonder if they would be cut off from food stamps, but still get unemployment insurance? They would be paying into it from their jobs. But then again they would be paying taxes which presumably means they would be paying into the system there too, and they are clearly cut off from everything else.

Again generalizing, but it's true enough of the time, it's common for immigrants, especially recent ones, to live in multi generational households and the family structure is the de facto safety net. The countries most are coming from don't have safety nets, that's the families job. Overall its not perfect but a lot better than we have now. To me, it just sounds so....trying to think of the right word here.....idn, maybe realistic?

It doesn't have a chance with the average rabidly racist Republican primary voter. It's a gift to the big business faction though. Does that make it a 50/50 tossup then?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They really ought to use Medicare like the cudgel it is and force doctors to accept Medicaid patients or else they don't get Medicare/Tricare/etc funds.

It's basically the same as rolling Mediaid into Medicare except there's still the otherizing-the-poor figleaf for conservatives to use.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Y/N?
Lots of doctors lose money from medicare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Thundercock
Aug 1, 2015
Thundercock/Betacuck '16

• Locked thread