Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Krinkle posted:

You can find out who's banging on that door. If you don't find out and try to walk past his area I'm pretty sure he turns around and finds you. You probably fought him and didn't realize he was the door banger. It's hard to notice when an intermittent noise stops when dogs are ripping out your guts and someone's trying to smash your face in with a brick.

Yeah I saw him the first time but he looked like a tough oval office so I left and then he brained me with a brick when I was fighting the dogs. Went and kicked his arse the next time though!

I am playing Xenonauts at the minute and it is pretty neat. Every character hast their own portrait however all the in game models are the exact same so a black female soldier is a clearly white male character model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of the Claptrap dlc for Borderlands the Pre-Sequel is pretty terrible. You fight and defeat the boss to get the item you've been searching for throughout the dlc. You leave the area to give the item to Handsome Jack but then it turns out to be a trick and you really gave the item back to the boss (who somehow isn't dead.) Now you have to fight the boss again but he's become a giant robot with a ton of health and constantly spawning minions. You defeat him and instead of winning he just turns into another form, spawns more minions and now constantly spams a bunch of attacks that are hard to dodge because he's floating above the stage.

The whole thing is a huge slog and it sucks because you're getting into these fights literally one after another with no real downtime in between.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Terraria

Not only is there no reward for #200, but the usually-escalating turn-in rewards are bugged to drop to the beginning after #100. drat my cheevo hunting :suicide:

But now I've 100%'d it on Expert without worldhopping* so I'm happy... till 1.4

E: Nobody told me how powerful Banners were. Even on Expert, they halve enemy damage and double the damage you do, neutering them completely. I found this out only after 100 hours.

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Aug 1, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

You could do this if the game just dropped the gear instead of recipes, though.

Thing dragging games down, lack of Social slots so you can be fashionable with impunity and not sacrificing stats.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lords of the Fallen again. I finally get past some dudes and kill a boss and find some friendly npcs. They ask for help and I say sure. Enemy finds us and engages me and somehow focuses only on me. In the melee I hit one of the friendlies on accident. I kill the enemy only to be blind sided by the former friendlies. Wtf.

Then I go back and they are perma ago AND the enemies ignore them. So instead of us in fighting the enemies focus on just me instead of all of us. What an immersion breaking and stupid ai coding to have allies refuse to help, enemies to only focus on you, and have wandering npcs that walk into cut scene areas. Grrrr.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

You could do this if the game just dropped the gear instead of recipes, though.

This is true. One thing that annoyed me about Witcher 3(this is saying a lot, I love that game to bits) is that blacksmiths are arbitrarily split into dudes/gals who deal exclusively in weapons and dudes/gals who deal exclusively in armor. I can't think of any game design reason why they this.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Jastiger posted:

Lords of the Fallen again. I finally get past some dudes and kill a boss and find some friendly npcs. They ask for help and I say sure. Enemy finds us and engages me and somehow focuses only on me. In the melee I hit one of the friendlies on accident. I kill the enemy only to be blind sided by the former friendlies. Wtf.

Then I go back and they are perma ago AND the enemies ignore them. So instead of us in fighting the enemies focus on just me instead of all of us. What an immersion breaking and stupid ai coding to have allies refuse to help, enemies to only focus on you, and have wandering npcs that walk into cut scene areas. Grrrr.

That's supposed to happen.
:darksouls:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PubicMice posted:

That's supposed to happen.
:darksouls:

gently caress that. The npc does more damage than the monsters. Why are they even here they could run the place

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After about 2-3 false starts over the last decade I finally sat down and finished Freelancer. Decent space-sim, kinda like Elite with singleplay and a few additional gameplay tweaks but the singleplayer campaign fucks you over in a couple of the last mission because of the intersection of a few factors:

1. After every ingame cutscene, you return to control of your ship and your ship has zero inertia and the throttle is at zero.

2. There are several instances in the final missions where there are engine-driven mid-mission cutscenes, which totally take you out of the game. During this time it appears that the AI simulation runs as normal, just with everyone's ability to fire turned off.

3. The cutscenes in #2 occur during large-scale battles where there are dozens of fighters zipping about, and they often trigger based on a timer or on something that you, the player character, did not do, while there's a sizable amount of enemy ships left.

All of this adds up to a scenario where you are in the middle of a dogfight during a difficult mission, out of nowhere a cutscene plays, and then all of a sudden you're completely dead in the water with every enemy ship in the surrounding square kilometer locked on to you and firing their now-active weapons while you try desperately to actually build some speed so that you can evade them. Cue your shields being stripped down in a couple of seconds and hull damage mounting - there was one point where I was hammering the auto-repair/shield-booster buttons constantly the second the cutscene ended, and I still ended up losing one of the wings on my ship along with 1/3 of my weapons without any recourse whatsoever.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have come to accept that I can't complete everything in Witcher 3 before I go onto the main quest because of the different high level stuff that is interspersed with the low level areas. It kills me as someone who has to do every side quest but I moved past it. The only problem I really have with it now is that if you even used one potion you will have to eat an Alcoholist, I wish there was a way that you could meditate WITHOUT using an alcoholist, like some kind of option if I only used one potion or something but want to meditate to heal/make it day.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Was dark souls nerfed or something? I never grinded for anything in that, and I thought souls were p much useless. I beat the whole game at soul level 21 and I'm not even like MLG poo poo. Just don't get hit I don't know what was so hard about that, leveling your stats never made that easier.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Screencheat seems like such a cool idea, why do I have to get two minutes of blackscreen between every menu when my computer runs everything else fine? :(

zygnal
Dec 1, 2006
Never
Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I have come to accept that I can't complete everything in Witcher 3 before I go onto the main quest because of the different high level stuff that is interspersed with the low level areas. It kills me as someone who has to do every side quest but I moved past it. The only problem I really have with it now is that if you even used one potion you will have to eat an Alcoholist, I wish there was a way that you could meditate WITHOUT using an alcoholist, like some kind of option if I only used one potion or something but want to meditate to heal/make it day.

If you really wanted to do that, couldn't you just drop them at your feet and pick them up
after meditating?
Takes a little effort, but I've not found it a problem as alcohol is pretty plentiful.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

darkhand posted:

Was dark souls nerfed or something? I never grinded for anything in that, and I thought souls were p much useless. I beat the whole game at soul level 21 and I'm not even like MLG poo poo. Just don't get hit I don't know what was so hard about that, leveling your stats never made that easier.

Sorta? I think some bosses may have had health reduced in patches, but overall the difficulty in the game is not based on level, but skill. Leveling up mostly just allows you access to various weapons, with certain break points to increase damage on properly-scaling weapons. Those increases only serve, in application, to reduce enemies from dying in 3 or 4 hits to 2 or 3 as you move along. A properly upgraded weapon does this as well. I only ever leveled up when I was 20-30 hp short of killing something in X hits, so I could drop a 3 hit kill to, say, 2.

Overall, leveling up highly is mostly useful for PVP. PVE, you can beat the game at SL1 with just pyromancy and a +5 lightning and/or+5 chaos hand axe.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Breetai posted:

After about 2-3 false starts over the last decade I finally sat down and finished Freelancer. Decent space-sim, kinda like Elite with singleplay and a few additional gameplay tweaks but the singleplayer campaign fucks you over in a couple of the last mission because of the intersection of a few factors:

1. After every ingame cutscene, you return to control of your ship and your ship has zero inertia and the throttle is at zero.

2. There are several instances in the final missions where there are engine-driven mid-mission cutscenes, which totally take you out of the game. During this time it appears that the AI simulation runs as normal, just with everyone's ability to fire turned off.

3. The cutscenes in #2 occur during large-scale battles where there are dozens of fighters zipping about, and they often trigger based on a timer or on something that you, the player character, did not do, while there's a sizable amount of enemy ships left.

All of this adds up to a scenario where you are in the middle of a dogfight during a difficult mission, out of nowhere a cutscene plays, and then all of a sudden you're completely dead in the water with every enemy ship in the surrounding square kilometer locked on to you and firing their now-active weapons while you try desperately to actually build some speed so that you can evade them. Cue your shields being stripped down in a couple of seconds and hull damage mounting - there was one point where I was hammering the auto-repair/shield-booster buttons constantly the second the cutscene ended, and I still ended up losing one of the wings on my ship along with 1/3 of my weapons without any recourse whatsoever.

I really liked that game overall but had a few problems with it. The main one is that they made the universe linear so that you couldn't "outlevel the story" or whatever. If it's a space sim and I want to do that just let me, c'mon. It also had the funny effect of making Space America's ships way weaker than Space Britain's which were trash compared to Space Japan's which paled in comparison to Space Germany's.

The other thing was that non-story rep grinds took millions of years. You had to kill hundreds of bounty hunters/government ships to get in with the pirates.

Are there any games similar to Freelancer that have come out recently? That is, they play down the "sim" aspect and have smaller hand-made universe rather 8 trillion random worlds.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

death .cab for qt posted:

Sorta? I think some bosses may have had health reduced in patches, but overall the difficulty in the game is not based on level, but skill. Leveling up mostly just allows you access to various weapons, with certain break points to increase damage on properly-scaling weapons. Those increases only serve, in application, to reduce enemies from dying in 3 or 4 hits to 2 or 3 as you move along. A properly upgraded weapon does this as well. I only ever leveled up when I was 20-30 hp short of killing something in X hits, so I could drop a 3 hit kill to, say, 2.

Overall, leveling up highly is mostly useful for PVP. PVE, you can beat the game at SL1 with just pyromancy and a +5 lightning and/or+5 chaos hand axe.

I thought someone figured out that bosses' damage was scaled somewhat to your max HP? Not regular enemies, only bosses. So even if you're underleveled one hit won't take you from maxed out to dead. Then they removed this feature from Bloodborne and a bunch of people discovered that they were not as good at video games as they thought

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

swamp waste posted:

a bunch of people discovered that they were not as good at video games as they thought

To be fair, this is the greatest sin of our generation.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Bloodborne: is on PS4 which I don't have and thus can't play. From what I have seen the only issue in an amazing game

seriously, if only you could still rent consoles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Bloodborne: is on PS4 which I don't have and thus can't play. From what I have seen the only issue in an amazing game

Back when video rental places actually existed you were able to.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Calico Heart posted:

Where do you live? You could come over to my house and I'll let you play Bloodborne. But you have to sit on the floor and I sit on the couch behind you. And you cant look back at me while you play. It's for your own protection, trust me.

Trust me.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if you can actually. I am tempted to do something like this to get it out of my system.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
:spergin: Souls incoming:

darkhand posted:

Basically, you got too gud. Now you have no recourse but to do challenge runs.

swamp waste posted:

I thought someone figured out that bosses' damage was scaled somewhat to your max HP? Not regular enemies, only bosses. So even if you're underleveled one hit won't take you from maxed out to dead. Then they removed this feature from Bloodborne and a bunch of people discovered that they were not as good at video games as they thought

No, what happened is on launch it had a bug where if the console was running too long it had a memory leak, and the AI turned retarded. Bosses would just spam the same moves over and over, and people just breezed through it. Then they patched it.

Also, you may be thinking of how bosses' hp scales with number of players, so some bosses (like Gaping Dragon) are actually harder on co-op than solo. Otherwise hp is completely fixed, to the point that speedrunners know the exact amount of hits needed to beat each boss with each weapon.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lords of the Fallen

Ok last bit on this game. Just finished it up after some help from goons in this thread. It did get easier as it went on as your power grows and you become better, so thast nice.

The biggest frustration I came across while playing through was messing up quests on accident. Oops you were fighting enemies and hit an NPC? Now they are forever aggrod on you (but not on the enemy NPCS). How dumb.

There are a few NPC's you can spare after you fight them, but of course, I was using a DOT item and as soon as you get the option to kill or not kill, the dot ticks and kill them. Grats on being evil!

Most of the quests are bugged in some way and item descriptions are incorrect or non existent. At one point an NPC says "Hey if you go through THIS way, you can avoid fighting that powerful enemy! Follow me!" But....you go do that and you STILL have to go back and fight that powerful enemy. You essentially follow the NPC up to a locked door and find out, nope, you gotta go back the way you originally were coming and fight that enemy anyways. Wasted a ton of time.

There is even an item that takes 30% of your magic bar with no explanation that its happening, and when you remove it, the negative effect pertains.

Basically its a decent combat game that is marred by some poor level design decisions, buggy quests, and incomplete items. I could see a sequel being made, but they need to take more time to round out the edges and make the story make more sense.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FO:NV, like FO3, lets you change your build as you see fit before venturing into the world at large.

Unfortunately, the prompt is triggered by walking outside of an invisible boundary in the starting zone with no obvious signposting, unlike FO3 where it was the giant loving vault door.

And of course, the prompt doesn't have a "hold up there, let me go back two feet from the boundary and save my game" option so if you wander into the boundary with only a quicksave you're kind of screwed into going through the whole opening again the next time you want to create a character.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ryoshi posted:

FO:NV, like FO3, lets you change your build as you see fit before venturing into the world at large.

Unfortunately, the prompt is triggered by walking outside of an invisible boundary in the starting zone with no obvious signposting, unlike FO3 where it was the giant loving vault door.

And of course, the prompt doesn't have a "hold up there, let me go back two feet from the boundary and save my game" option so if you wander into the boundary with only a quicksave you're kind of screwed into going through the whole opening again the next time you want to create a character.

The into to New Vegas is like literally fifty times faster unless you do everything possible in Goodsprings though, plus this could only really trip you up once.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

Thankfully in NV "the whole opening" is "character creation, then you can tell Goodsprings to gently caress off and leave immediately" which makes the whole thing not to shabby. I usually just start from the beginning because it doesn't take too long and I like the doc

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
As glad as I am that I finally am "getting" Dark Souls 2, this game has some weird design choices. The world flows really poorly, and apparently the three times I've started the game so far I've been going in the wrong direction. There's an aqueduct that I assumed was opened by a puzzle of some kind, but it took looking it up online to find out that no, the switch to open it is in the same room.

It's just really ugly and blends into the wall. :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

1stGear posted:

Is there a way to make the parkour in Dying Light not total loving garbage or am I just going to have to deal with Crane arbitrarily deciding when to land on things and extend his arms above his head?

Get used to that and also dying to two foot falls on occasion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jastiger posted:

The biggest frustration I came across while playing through was messing up quests on accident. Oops you were fighting enemies and hit an NPC? Now they are forever aggrod on you (but not on the enemy NPCS). How dumb.

This does suck, but its yet another thing lords just copied from souls games. They all do this.

They way I look at it is you're kinda meant to gently caress up most of them, and then it gives you something to do on your next run. :shrug:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

This does suck, but its yet another thing lords just copied from souls games. They all do this.

They way I look at it is you're kinda meant to gently caress up most of them, and then it gives you something to do on your next run. :shrug:

Dark Souls resets DOTS when there is a cut scene.

It also gives you a way to reset their agro if you do hit them. Also, it rarely has enemies in the same vicinity of friendlies and often gives you 1 or two free hits as "accidents". There are a few exceptions, and its definitely worse in 2 than 1, but you can tell they meant to put hostile NPC's AWAY from friendlies.

In LotF, they are literally right there at all times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jastiger posted:

There are a few exceptions

Straid is such a dick though.

And half the NPCs in DS1 when you first find them they're somewhere totally unexpected, a couple of them even hiding in barrels. Pretty easy to kill em on accident :cheeky:

But yeah LOTF is like everything slightly flawed about souls games is made worse.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

The into to New Vegas is like literally fifty times faster unless you do everything possible in Goodsprings though, plus this could only really trip you up once.
Speaking of New Vegas... I've decided to go back and play the DLC that I picked up a while back but never touched. Old World Blues was pretty cool. Lonesome road was kinda lovely but was straight forward enough that I didn't get fatigued.

Dead Money. Hooooooly loving poo poo. Dead Money. The Sierra Madre Casino can loving suck it. Brown clouds on brown nondescript buildings when youre outside. Boring samey poo poo when you're inside. A lot of backtracking through the brown clouds. All your guns/gear get taken away and it seems like they want you to stealth everywhere and use melee.

What really gets me is the whole "There's riches in there and I'm holding you captive until you get it for me!" motivation of the main villain. Motherfucker I already have more money than god and a remote control for an orbital laser, a clicker for detonating nuclear warheads, and a rapid fire missile launcher. Heck, maybe if you asked nicely, I'd have traipsed my way inside with all my cool guns and bombs in like 15 minutes and we coulda cracked this vault and I'd have let you keep the money because who the hell cares. Instead I'm like 2-3 hours in and I juuuust got into the casino proper.

I just hope that revenge killing the villain is worth it. But I'm getting the feeling like he's going to be all like "Kill me!? I'll just stay here with my money until I die of *easily preventable thing* MUAHAHAHA" and it'll be a hubris thing that kills him. I just want to stab him with my Super-Heated Cosmic Knife. :smith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean, there's money, but he doesn't really care about that except as a way to help motivate his "crew;" Elijah's obsessed with the tech and secrets of the place.

There's not one but two different achievements for dispatching him, so be assured you can put a Super Heated Cosmic Knife in him if you like.

The thing I never liked was the radios. I didn't think the timer lasts long enough to pin point the drat things when there is so much junk lying around. You move into a place, look everywhere for the radio, then have to dash out almost immediately because the timer is running down. I found it tedious, especially when they played dirty tricks and put the radios on the other side of walls.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dead Money owned.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know you're not supposed to, but I liked fighting the Ghost People.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I loved Dead Money, the radio timers were a bit short without the follower trait to extend them, but you can just walk out of their range and back in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the real way to judge the quality of someone is if they liked Dead Money

if they did, they're Cool and Good

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dead money would be a good game but it was a bad fallout DLC

Not the worst though

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you're halfway decent with Unarmed, fighting the Ghost People in VATS with the Bear Trap Fist turns the game into survival comedy. Instead of running away from unbeatable foes you're running up to them and punching their heads off in a single swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I get why people don't like dead money. It's a ton better on replay because you know all the tricks it will pull.